Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Hog away; I'm jealous!

I was hoping to do some bird photography over the Christmas break but the weather in the UK has been none stop wet and grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

I feel like I'm hogging this thread, but shooting owls has lit a fire in me to go out and shoot birds whenever I can.

I rented a 4 wheel drive for the weekend so I can run down some logging roads that were impassible before. I'm after more hawk owls. I also got invited to go along Sunday with some raptor banders who are going to be trying for some short eared owls. I'm trying to process a backlog in shots because I'm expecting hundreds more soon. :)

I don't think I've posted these yet:

Hog away. This are amazing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Please keep it up. Your owl shots are mind-blowing. Absolutely fantastic!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Question - how does the thread feel about shots of birds in captivity? I got some nice shots at a local bird of prey sanctuary earlier in the year but I don't want to claim them as actual birding photos.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
The series of owl shots are great.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

One Swell Foop posted:

Question - how does the thread feel about shots of birds in captivity? I got some nice shots at a local bird of prey sanctuary earlier in the year but I don't want to claim them as actual birding photos.

Post them. Birds are birds.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Obviously there a larger question of "Is this sanctuary meeting the needs of their captive birds, and hence should I continue to frequent the place?" but assuming the answer is yes, there's nothing wrong with posting the images. Just be honest about it.

I think I might have posted this link before, but it's an interesting discussion of this very issue by Audubon Magazine.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
My sense is that we'd rather have good photos of captive birds than blurry brown cellphone pics of a wild bird. There's the critterquest thread if the main reason for posting is to get an ID.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My sense is that we'd rather have good photos of captive birds than blurry brown cellphone pics of a wild bird.
Pretty much, although I'd be happy seeing blurry brown cellphone pics at this point if it meant I wasn't posting more owl pics again.

See, there I go again.

Yesterday I saw 8 owls and took 26 pictures. Today I saw 4 and took 1000. Oh what a difference a bit of sun makes.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Pied Cormorant

New Zealand Dotterel

This is getting dangerous, I keep looking at longer lenses now that I've had a couple of goes and the kit telephoto is just not even remotely cutting it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Trambopaline posted:

Pied Cormorant

New Zealand Dotterel

This is getting dangerous, I keep looking at longer lenses now that I've had a couple of goes and the kit telephoto is just not even remotely cutting it.

It gets worse. :v:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Birds! From Australia even. This is my first time posting pics I've taken here so if they're too big/small or otherwise improper please let me know.

Wild Cassowary! With Baby! One of the many heartbreakers of this trip, I missed the focus on this shot, and it was the only one not completely black due to operator error. Still, perhaps, my favorite photo of the trip.

The rest were all taken in zoos and sanctuaries. These six are from the Port Douglas Bird Sanctuary (where you can have lunch with Lorikeets, as opposed to anywhere else in Port Douglas, where the Lorikeets are at least 3 feet farther away).

Reef Heron landing in a pond then going in for something to eat. I was tempted to crop this picture to show more of the beautiful detail on the bird that you see at 1:1, but it loses some of the action when you do that.

Pied Herons looking pretty.

Sadly I discovered in post processing that I shot everything that day at ISO 1000 and on my 5Dc so it's pretty noisy at 1:1. I certainly needed to for the light at some times (I was shooting a 100-300 f4.5-5.6) but the noise just kills me (I hate digital noise). This was the first time I'd been bird photographing with this camera, and it was following a 15 year break in photography in general, so over the course of the six hundred or so shots I took at this bird sanctuary I really felt my skills returning.

Kookaburra! These are the birds I wanted to see the most in Australia, and they did not disappoint. They're like Kingfishers who give no fucks. This one was taken at the Featherdale Wildlife Sanctuary outside of Sydney.

Australia in general is just great for birds. It's hard to describe the giddy feeling I got when I saw a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo just chilling on someone's lawn like a white Raven or somesuch. Then later I saw (heard first) four of those mobbing a Gray Goshawk which really made my day.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Trambopaline posted:

New Zealand Dotterel

I really love this shot. You've got a great panning effect going on that really makes it look like this little guy is running a race.

Aquila posted:

Birds! From Australia even. This is my first time posting pics I've taken here so if they're too big/small or otherwise improper please let me know.
Keep em coming!

quote:

Wild Cassowary! With Baby! One of the many heartbreakers of this trip, I missed the focus on this shot, and it was the only one not completely black due to operator error. Still, perhaps, my favorite photo of the trip.
The person that invents a camera AF system that can detect you're trying to take a picture of a bird in a bunch of vegetation and lock onto the birds eye automatically will make a fortune I bet.

Some nice bird photos. The herons are an interesting shot because it's an angle you never see usually.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aquila posted:

Kookaburra! These are the birds I wanted to see the most in Australia, and they did not disappoint. They're like Kingfishers who give no fucks. This one was taken at the Featherdale Wildlife Sanctuary outside of Sydney.

Loving this.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Oh look, more owls:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

You could always make the edgy depressing captive animal picture

Was I born for this? by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
OK, I finally sorted out my duplicate photos after a partial disk failure, and found my photos. The sanctuary was the NIWRA on Vancouver Island. Only a few of the photos came out well, mainly due to me being in a rush and lots of chicken wire.

These Peregrine falcons were both falconer raised and can't be released.

20050519_NIWRA_0009 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

20050519_NIWRA_0001 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

This moment of philosophical reflection allows you to see the baffles in its nostrils that allow it to breathe during stoops.

20050519_NIWRA_0004 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Did someone say edgy captive animal pictures?

20050519_NIWRA_0023 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

You can see that this guy was badly injured before he was rescued, and will never fly again. He copes with his incarceration by wrecking poo poo with his tiny hammer.

20050519_NIWRA_0073 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

More recently, I went to see the snowy owls that are wintering locally but didn't get any good shots, but there were a few short-eared owls hanging around. Nowhere near as nice as the great greys above though.

short_eared_owl_bb_2 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

short_eared_owl_bb_flight by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Emus used to be native to Tasmania, but the Tasmanian subspecies was wiped out 150 years ago. That means this one is livestock, I guess.

Wednesday East Coast Drive 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Silver Gull

Wednesday Evening at Mt William 21 by Execudork, on Flickr

Australian Pelican

Wednesday Evening at Mt William 22 by Execudork, on Flickr

Pied Oystercatcher

Wednesday Evening at Mt William 25 by Execudork, on Flickr

Wedge-tailed Eagle, I think.

Wednesday Evening at Mt William 27 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
You guys made me want to try and find some owls, was able to find a few short eared owls. Unfortunately there was a number of dogs out at the same time so didn't get the photos I really wanted but got a few.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I found a California Quail.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Little Pied Cormorant, which looked very much like a penguin when I first spotted it.

Thursday Morning in Mt William 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Forest Ravens

Thursday Morning in Mt William 10 by Execudork, on Flickr

White-faced Heron, one of the few birds willing to fly in the very windy conditions

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Wedge-tailed Eagle, that very obligingly few almost directly over my head.

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

Three fliers in one! Though the dragonfly is badly out of focus.

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

I haven't seen Masked Lapwings (aka Spur-winged Plover - they have spikes on their wing leading edges) in any groups larger than 2 or 3, except at Narawntapu park.

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 16 by Execudork, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I was surprised to see Trambopaline's quail in a tree. Every time I've seen them in the wild here it's on the ground inside brush, but that's in California, not New Zealand. It feels weird to be on the exporting end of introduced species.

Breaking the streak of Aussie/NZ birds or awesome owls with southern California waterfowl:

Coot Glamour by Icybacon, on Flickr

I went after Orange County's first Yellow-crowned Night Heron since 1977. It was sleeping on a log 500ft across the water, but I was really excited to see it photo or not as I love herons. The place also has regular Reddish Egrets, which are also a supposedly out of range bird, and I hoped my luck would hold out to finally get a good shot of one. I'm walking along, minding my own business, when suddenly, Eurasian Wigeon! :monocle:

Shunning the Eurotrash by Icybacon, on Flickr
(Super rare but regular in California, just one bird for every 5,000 or so American Wigeons. The last time I saw one, my dad dragged me along as a small child to see one a quarter mile away as a pink dot in a scope.)

I figured that filled my rare bird quota for the day week, but just around the bend were two Reddish Egrets, supposedly out of range by several hundred miles but very regular and certainly breeding in this section of coast. They act like hyperactive, dancing Snowy Egrets and run around mud flats flapping and actin a fool to scare up fish.

Reddish Egret by Icybacon, on Flickr

On the rest of my loop around to hopefully catch the Night Heron at sunset, I caught a Western & Clark's Grebe fighting (they look the same!), lots of very calm Snowy Egrets, and a Green Heron that was a paranoid jerk as usual but still let me get a pretty close shot.

Snowy Egret Sits for Portrait by Icybacon, on Flickr

Golden Hour Green Heron by Icybacon, on Flickr

I walked right next to the Yellow-crowned Night Heron's earlier log, and it was not to be found. :(

Then I heard the sound of an angry rooster in an apple press, and looked up to see it flying by, calling the whole way to the waterline right next to a nearby path.

Yellow-crowned Night Heron by Icybacon, on Flickr

Best heron day ever. :3:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

drat, this one rocks - love the water colour

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

Pretty much, although I'd be happy seeing blurry brown cellphone pics at this point if it meant I wasn't posting more owl pics again.

See, there I go again.

Yesterday I saw 8 owls and took 26 pictures. Today I saw 4 and took 1000. Oh what a difference a bit of sun makes.

I have been literally speechless by your recent photos. Jealous would be far too weak of a word. Finding the Northern Hawk Owl and Great Gray Owl is awesome in of itself, but your photos have been incredible.

I feel like I should post the exact opposite thing for some reason. Perhaps a series of Gull photos explaining what separates a Herring, Western and Glaucus-Winged Gull or something.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Another one from yesterday.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I feel like I should post the exact opposite thing for some reason. Perhaps a series of Gull photos explaining what separates a Herring, Western and Glaucus-Winged Gull or something.

Seconding the awe at the owl shots - not just the species, but the great action shots (with prey! holy shitballs!).

I'd love to see a breakdown of the distinctions between the various Pacific Northwest gulls; they confused they hell out of me when I lived in Victoria and went down to the shore.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Seconding the awe at the owl shots - not just the species, but the great action shots (with prey! holy shitballs!).

I'll third that I guess. You guys get some amazing shots. I feel like I really shouldn't be posting such naff photos in this thread... so I'm trying to make it a bit more interesting this time around with a more uniquely New Zealand bird, even if the shot itself is a bit average.

It's a Tui

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Change of pace from owls --

Hoary Redpoll:

Common Redpoll:

Okay, maybe one owl too (I still have so many to post :ohdear:)

Dread Head posted:

You guys made me want to try and find some owls, was able to find a few short eared owls. Unfortunately there was a number of dogs out at the same time so didn't get the photos I really wanted but got a few.

This is a gorgeous shot and I love the huge perch. Am I mistaken, or are you in Calgary? I'm going this Saturday near Calgary to find some short-ears since there seem to be a bunch hunting during the daytime right now, even if they are 3 hours away.

Trambopaline posted:

I'll third that I guess. You guys get some amazing shots. I feel like I really shouldn't be posting such naff photos in this thread... so I'm trying to make it a bit more interesting this time around with a more uniquely New Zealand bird, even if the shot itself is a bit average.

It's a Tui
Is this a heavy crop already or do you have room to get closer? You've got him on a great perch and I'd love to see closer if possible.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I have been literally speechless by your recent photos. Jealous would be far too weak of a word. Finding the Northern Hawk Owl and Great Gray Owl is awesome in of itself, but your photos have been incredible.

Thanks for the compliments! The truth is that both types of owls were pretty easy to find once someone pointed me in the general area, and once you find them they are tolerant enough to let you get into a decent position for photos. Also, I'd love to see those Gull photos. Ever since I found an island in a nearby lake where gulls breed by the thousands (and watched them from a kayak for hours) I've gained a new-found respect for them. They are incredibly interesting birds to photograph and it's sad most people's exposure to them is when they're grabbing dropped fries in a McDonald's parking lot.

Alpenglow posted:

Best heron day ever. :3:
Great photos! Karate-kid egret is awesome. I love herons and would kill for a heron-filled day like you had.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky posted:

This is a gorgeous shot and I love the huge perch. Am I mistaken, or are you in Calgary? I'm going this Saturday near Calgary to find some short-ears since there seem to be a bunch hunting during the daytime right now, even if they are 3 hours away.

You are mistaken, I am on Vancouver Island. There were 4 owls at this location and I am guessing they will be there for some time so I am hoping to go back.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Dread Head posted:

You are mistaken, I am on Vancouver Island. There were 4 owls at this location and I am guessing they will be there for some time so I am hoping to go back.
Nice! Go back and shoot some more so I'm not the only one spamming owl shots.

Speaking of which, here's some more from Ridiculously Photogenic Owl:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Love the look on it's face.

So bummed out today, I have the day off, was going to go down to Gold Bar Park and look for the bald eagle there, but it's completely overcast today, yesterday was absolutely perfect but I was stuck at work...

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

InternetJunky posted:

Common Redpoll:

Murderbird.

Never apologize for all the owl shots, they're fantastic. There's an owl living somewhere in the golf course behind my house but I've never been able to see it, just hear it. :(

Hopefully I'll get some decent submissions to this thread in the next couple of months. They're starting up eagle awareness weekends at the local state park again and allowing tours of nesting sites and such.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Luckily there's a cool new owl hanging around the office hunting pigeons and arguing with ravens. Hopefully I'll get some action shots at some point

DSC_5727.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5733.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5716.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whoever gets the first shot of an owl taking a dump wins.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Oh hey, some lazy duck shots from the local zoo.

DSC00616 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC00609 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

HookShot posted:

From last summer I've got a photo of a Little Owl pointing it's bum at me and squirting.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

InternetJunky posted:

Is this a heavy crop already or do you have room to get closer? You've got him on a great perch and I'd love to see closer if possible.

Oh yeah, that was uncropped. Here's a crop with it filling the frame.

Link for more pixels.

Edit: In other news, I found a sacred kingfisher

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 5, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I love Kingfishers. There's only one species in Canada, I'm jealous of all of you who live places with so many different ones. The Kookaburras here in Tassie are avoiding me, laughing as they hide behind trunks and foliage. :argh:

Eurasian Coot

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 37 by Execudork, on Flickr

Hoary-headed Grebe

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 38 by Execudork, on Flickr

Welcome Swallow

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 40 by Execudork, on Flickr

Tasmanian Native-hen

Thursday Strolling in Narawntapu 51 by Execudork, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth posted:

From last summer I've got a photo of a Little Owl pointing it's bum at me and squirting.
I want to see this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I also want to see the pooping owl!

ExecuDork posted:

I love Kingfishers. There's only one species in Canada, I'm jealous of all of you who live places with so many different ones. The Kookaburras here in Tassie are avoiding me, laughing as they hide behind trunks and foliage. :argh:

Have a picnic. Kookaburras are incredibly good at knowing when you've got food, and they'll get close to you when you do.

Once me and my husband went on a picnic and there was a kookaburra around. We bought some bread, a roast chicken and some veggies and made chicken sangas. As soon as my husband finished making his, a kookaburra swooped down and literally stole the sandwich out of my husband's hands.

Then at the farm even though the Kookaburra was usually too afraid of us to be fed, if he knew we had food, he would still hang around. He'd just fly away if we tried to toss him any for a while.

edit:

Birdie by hookshot88, on Flickr

Birdie by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

HookShot posted:

From August

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I couldn't find any eagles so I had to improvise.

small-8293 by jankyangles, on Flickr

:v: