Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

jeffersonlives posted:

The booker of WCW in 1994 during Austin's big push with the US title after the Blondes were broken up was Ric Flair. Flair put the title on himself as one of his earliest acts, and one of his other major projects was preparing Austin to become the next top guy in the company. Austin was planned to feud with Flair in mid-late 1994 to begin a lengthy reign on top.

When Hogan came in, Flair pretty quickly lost his booking power to Kevin Sullivan (with Hogan pulling the strings). Flair's plans were all discarded; Flair turned heel and dropped the title, and Austin was thrown into an even steven feud with another guy being discarded from the main event mix in Ricky Steamboat before being squashed by Jim Duggan. Hogan and Sullivan then brought in all of their friends en masse, which left no room for Austin (who had no great political allies even on his good days) to even have midcard level programs after losing to Duggan, so Austin was more or less used as a name job guy for a few months despite still being paid high level guaranteed money. Then he hurt his knee.

The real reason he was fired was because he was turned into a well paid jobber and they had a chance to get out of his contract. I'm sure the Hogan crew didn't see money in him, but it wasn't for a real reason, it was because they didn't see money in anyone who didn't fit into the Vince McMahon 1980s WWF mold.

I think there's some confusion here. I'm well aware of Hogan's pull and bringing in his buddies. I know Austin was let go to make room for ex-WWF guys. I've been confused over the black trunks quote that Saul Goode keeps alluding to. This is what I was questioning:

Saul Goode posted:

Do you seriously think that when Bill Goldberg was coming through the WCW Power Plant, they looked at him independently and said, "Yes, plain black trunks and a gimmickless look is exactly what this guy needs"? From Eric Bischoff, who when he fired Steve Austin literally told him that "a guy in black trunks and boots will never get over"? (And no, before you ask, I don't have the source for that quote directly to hand but it was pretty wide-spread around the time that Austin got his fed-exed pink slip from WCW. I'm sure the Meltz would be able to verify if anyone's that inclined to ask.)

I really don't see how that makes sense if Austin didn't even wear black trunks and boots in WCW. I'm going to assume at this point that it's bullshit.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I really don't see how that makes sense if Austin didn't even wear black trunks and boots in WCW. I'm going to assume at this point that it's bullshit.

Seeing as Austin wasn't known for black boots and black trunks until 1996, yes.

Saul, quite wonderfully, is still living in late 90s Internet Wrestling Message Board world. To make this truly accurate, someone needs to buy him an avatar featuring something from Kennyskrib.com

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Seeing as Austin wasn't known for black boots and black trunks until 1996, yes.

Saul, quite wonderfully, is still living in late 90s Internet Wrestling Message Board world. To make this truly accurate, someone needs to buy him an avatar featuring something from Kennyskrib.com

Other hits included on this album are:

- Ted Turner is bribing the Nielsen people to say WCW has higher ratings

- More WWF fans have parties to watch Raw so there are more people watching on fewer tv sets

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I believe the quote he's talking about is from Austin himself from the book The Stone Cold truth.

This is what I could find from google books archive thingee, a blurry image blown up.

Yeah it's from a WWE produced book, but it's not like Saul pulled the quote out of thin air.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Was that one of those "half-to-fully-in-character" WWF books?

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Was that one of those "half-to-fully-in-character" WWF books?

Yeah, most likely, but that's not the point I was trying to make. Just saying it's not like Saul just made it up. Maybe Austin did, but whatever. This is getting to be dumb. Let's talk about more stupid poo poo WCW did. Is there anything that hasn't been covered yet?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Tr33 posted:

Yeah, most likely, but that's not the point I was trying to make. Just saying it's not like Saul just made it up. Maybe Austin did, but whatever. This is getting to be dumb. Let's talk about more stupid poo poo WCW did. Is there anything that hasn't been covered yet?

Let's talk about Mark Madden. gently caress that guy.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, Tr33, wasn't trying to imply that it was pointless you (or Saul) brought it up, just trying to make sure it was a fairly kayfabe quote.

And there's a shitload of dumb WCW things to talk about. This thread should never die.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't think we've covered much from prior to GAB 91.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Sting (with The Dudes with Attitudes) defeated Ric Flair (with Ole Anderson) to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship (16:06)

- Sting pinned Flair after countering his Figure-Four Leglock attempt into a small package.
- During the Match, The Steiner Brothers, Paul Orndorff and The Junkyard Dog (the "Dudes with Attitudes") surrounded the ring to prevent outside interference by the Four Horsemen.
- Also during the entirety of the match, Ole Anderson was handcuffed to El Gigante.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tr33 posted:

I believe the quote he's talking about is from Austin himself from the book The Stone Cold truth.

This is what I could find from google books archive thingee, a blurry image blown up.

Yeah it's from a WWE produced book, but it's not like Saul pulled the quote out of thin air.

Thanks bud, very much appreciated.

Tr33 posted:

This is getting to be dumb. Let's talk about more stupid poo poo WCW did. Is there anything that hasn't been covered yet?

Whoever has been posting the Observer quotes in here has been awesome, we need some more of those.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I missed some issues awhile back so let's fill in that gap, from September 25th 1995, via David Meltzer's Wrestling Observer.

quote:

The third Nitro was a noticeable improvement on the second. Eric Bischoff was toned down with no remarks directly at WWF or Raw although he did several times call Nitro the most watched wrestling show anywhere (which wouldn't be the case because anywhere covers more ground than one country). Steve McMichael said less dumb things although they still don't clue him in on the storylines since he tried to push that at the PPV that he and his friends could all see that Lex Luger cheap-shotted Randy Savage when in the storyline it's Savage who is doing the turn and overreacted to an unintentional miscue.

Fall Brawl:

quote:

The main event show opened with a poorly-acted angle where Hogan showed up at the building with the motorcycle given to him in Los Angeles surrounded a dozen people paid to act like his fans. The Giant then showed up driving a Dungeon of Doom monster truck and ran over the motorcycle. This is to set up a monster truck battle on the 10/29 where the Dungeon of Doom monster truck faces the Hulk Hogan monster truck. I'm not making this up.

quote:

2. Craig Pittman beat Cobra (Jeff Farmer) in 1:22 with the code red (armbreaker) submission. A guy dressed up as a serviceman came to ringside when Pittman was introduced and distracted Cobra. Pittman came down from the ceiling with a rope and jumped him from behind, never lost the advantage, and won quickly. Now Cobra's gimmick is that he was a member of the CIA who Pittman left stranded in either a desert or a jungle in either Viet Nam or Desert Storm or maybe Korea or maybe even in the Civil War. At least Pittman's ring entrance was good. DUD

quote:

They aired a video with Paul Orndorff "depressed" after losing a match to Randy Savage (they should have at least made it believable and have him depressed after putting over Renegade). Gary Spivey of the Psychic Hotline showed up with what looked like a sponge on his head and convinced Orndorff that he really was Mr. Wonderful, changing Orndorff's character. The acting by Orndorff in the skit made Hogan look like an Oscar Award winner, but it was almost so bad that it was good.

quote:

3. Diamond Dallas Page (Page Falkenberg) pinned Renegade (Richard Williams) to win the WCW TV title in 8:07. Page actually made this watchable basically attempting to do a Terry Funk vs. a broom match. They were doing a storyline where Diamond Doll was mad at Page and being forced to hold up the "10" card whenever he'd do a move. At the 4:00 mark the announcers said that this was the longest Renegade had wrestled in a match since coming to WCW (which would be the case if you exclude every house show and PPV match he's had). Renegade did a handspring elbow at one point. Finish saw Page and Max Muscle collide attempting a double-team. Renegade then dove off the top rope to the floor onto Muscle. As he got back in the ring, Muscle grabbed his leg and Page used the Diamond cutter (Ace crusher) for the pin. **

quote:

After 2:30 of almost no heat because nobody cares about Sullivan, The Giant did the run-in and choked Hogan and twisted his neck. Hogan sold it as if he had been maimed and they went off the air wondering if Hogan would ever wrestle again. *1/4

quote:

There have been rumblings about doing a similar bargain-priced PPV of the WCW/New Japan show on 11/13 at Tokyo Sumo Hall, but again nothing has been officially announced. It would be a lot more beneficial, given that the plans for Starrcade have to do with using a lot of New Japan wrestlers, to air the 11/13 show from Japan as a two-hour version of WCW Saturday night and thus get the bulk of the regular fans familiar with the Japanese wrestlers so they'll have a reason to care about them, rather than try and sell them to only the hardcores for the quick profit and have the casual fans not care about them enough to care about Starrcade. But then again, that concept has been discussed here since for four years and untold number of WCW regimes that have been unable to get over wrestlers they have full-time under contract so it's probably silly to even discuss ways to get over new wrestlers.

quote:

Supposedly Jimmy Hart ran into Ted Turner in an elevator during mid-week and Turner remarked to Hart words to the effect of "We really kicked Vince's rear end" which I guess tells where the priorities lie.

quote:

Dusty Rhodes will definitely be moving to the Saturday Night show as an announcer. I believe it'll be a three-man team rather than as a replacement for Bobby Heenan. This has been tried before putting Rhodes on Saturday Night and didn't work in the past because what's charming for five minutes get nauseating for two hours. That goes for a lot of things.

quote:

Boy am I glad we don't have to see those MDA promos for Fall Brawl anymore. Exploitative crap like that just brings home how sleazy this business can be.

quote:

Starrcade in December is going to have a group of WCW babyfaces take on a group of New Japan wrestlers in a series of singles matches. There will be a lot of rematches from the 11/13 Sumo Hall card in Tokyo and be a team points deal. Apparently New Japan will win the promotion vs. promotion points deal in Japan and WCW will gain revenge at Starrcade. I believe Jushin Liger vs. Chris Benoit will take place on both shows. Starrcade I'm told will probably be the best show for pure wrestling matches of the year in WCW since Liger, Shinjiro Otani, Kensuke Sasaki, Shinya Hashimoto, Keiji Muto, etc. will appear. Since WCW has never gotten anyone new over yet, the idea they can get a group Japanese wrestlers over enough to pop a buy rate by December is certainly going to be a difficult task.

quote:

The WCW Saturday Night show on 9/16 wound up being pre-empted except for the last 15 minutes because the Braves game went long because of a rain delay. Because of that, the rating was a fluke 1.1 while the live Main Event from Asheville did a 1.8 and Pro did a 1.4. Thunder in Paradise as a lead-in to Nitro did a 1.5 on 9/11 and a strong 2.0 on 9/18 and boy does that show stink

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

quote:

Boy am I glad we don't have to see those MDA promos for Fall Brawl anymore. Exploitative crap like that just brings home how sleazy this business can be.

Anyone got a youtube of these?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I haven't seen those promos, but if the WCW Pro buyout angle happened I need to see that. I believe I have posted some of this issue in the past after quotes appeared in one of those Observer quotes threads. Dave was in a hell of a mood when he wrote this one.

quote:

The 1995 version of a creatively booked PPV show contained a man falling off a five-story balcony to his apparent death, either into a river or a parking lot (nobody was quite sure), and showing up 15 minutes later to wrestle without even a scratch, or for that matter, wet hair. It contained so many turns (all of which were at least very well done) that the 1988 booking by Dusty Rhodes that put Jim Crockett out of business seems mild in comparison. Anyway, the pro wrestling version of Planet Nine from Outer Space was a thumbs down to me even though there were two great angles and one of the stupidest angles in history. The wrestling was better than last week's WWF PPV, but it's scary when that becomes the measuring stick. Perhaps the most telling stat of all were the phone calls and faxes here after the Havoc show all of a sudden being praiseworthy of the WWF show the week before (which explains the percentages shift).

He also isn't much of a B-movie aficionado.

quote:

A. Eddy Guerrero pinned Disco Inferno (Glen Gilbertti) in 3:21 with a springboard huracanrana off the top rope. Guerrero did some nice moves and get the best sustained crowd chants of the entire show. Of course Eric Bischoff called the finisher a victory roll which is basically the exact opposite of what it was. *1/2

quote:

B. Paul Orndorff pinned Renegade (Richard Williams) after two piledrivers in 1:22. Renegade's body has changed a lot. This is probably his last WCW appearance for a long time as they're sending him back to wrestling school. Orndorff was acting depressed because his mirror broke. Orndorff got a big babyface pop for winning. DUD

quote:

2. Randy Savage (Randy Poffo) pinned Zodiac (Ed Leslie) in 1:30 after an elbow drop off the top rope. Zodiac subbed for Kamala, who decided to quit the promotion early rather than do a job here. The only excitement was a fan hopped the rail and escaped when ref Randy Anderson tried to hold him back, bring out tons of security and turning the fan into the biggest babyface on the show. Savage, to his credit, immediately took the match outside getting as far away from the real action so the cameras didn't see the fight inside the ring. Savage is working with a detached tricep, which is a pretty serious injury that should be keeping him out of action a few months. Bobby Heenan tried to sell the big crowd pops for the fans as being for Savage. DUD

Can you guess what the second bolded sentence leads to? I bet you can.

quote:

3. Kurasawa (Manabu Nakanishi) pinned Road Warrior Hawk (Michael Hegstrand) in a major surprise in 3:15. Hawk didn't look bad for a change, being very aggressive, I guess since he was the one doing a job. Kurasawa didn't even get a chance to look horrible and his offense consisted of suplexes, which at least he's good at.

quote:

4. Sabu (Terry Brunk) pinned Mr. J.L. (Jerry Lynn) in 3:25 with the arabian moonsault. Give them credit for foresight in time management. They have Luger and Meng go 13:00, and these guys go 3:00? It was a hot short match. Sabu used an Asai moonsault on J.L. and nearly wiped out The Sheik, who was at ringside, in the process. Since Sheik is pushing 70 and can barely move, and suffered a heart attack in the spring, I was scared to death seeing him go down. But he was okay and even threw fire at J.L. after the match. J.L. did a plancha over the post. **1/2

quote:

5. Lex Luger (Larry Pfohl) beat Meng (Uliuli Fifita) via DQ in 13:14. Horrible match with an even worse finish. Meng hit Luger in the throat with a foreign object and had him pinned, but Kevin Sullivan ran in and kicked Luger, who was being pinned, causing Meng to be disqualified for outside interference. This angle actually made sense for later in the show. -*

quote:

Next came the sumo monster truck match. This match was actually a compilation of about a 5:00 live match, and several hours worth of taping the previous night. They actually had two monster truck drivers doing the driving and had Hogan and the Giant inside the truck faking like they were driving. If you notice, all the "in the truck" shots were identical and spliced in badly which gave it the Planet Nine look. The Dungeon of Doom truck looked cool. Even Hogan's truck looked like it was on steroids. After the match, Hogan and The Giant argued, and shoved, and punched and eventually The Giant lost his balance on a ledge that was supposed to be overhanging Lake Michigan (although there actually is no part of the roof of Cobo Arena that overhangs the Lake as there is a parking lot totally surrounding the building) and plunged to his death, or so we were led to believe. Angles like this are the reason pro wrestling in this country is in the condition it is in.

quote:

7. Savage pinned Luger in 5:23. Jimmy Hart came to ringside. Savage at least tried. When Luger had the match won, Hart distracted the ref. Luger then went after Savage but Savage moved and Luger collided with Hart. Savage hit the elbow off the top for the pin. Given what was happening later in the show, this finish made no sense. 1/4*

quote:

8. The Giant (Paul Wight) beat Hulk Hogan (Terry Bollea) via DQ in 16:57 so Hogan kept the WCW title. Hogan came out first in street clothes explaining that because of what happened to The Giant, there would be no match. Giant then came out, proving to be immortal to falling off buildings, but not to legdrops and poorly timed foot to the faces. This was basically the Hogan-Andre match from Pontiac re-done with a different finish except that this Giant is a lot more mobile than Andre was and this Hogan has a lot less charisma than that Hogan did. For a guy in his second pro match (Wight had worked one show more than one year ago for Larry Sharpe in New Jersey), Wight looked real good as far as poise. He didn't do anything impressive athletically. There were only two spots where you could see he was looking lost which is kind of amazing for a guy under this kind of a pressure in such a long match. Not that they did anything good. The announcers tried to sell it like it was Flair vs. Steamboat which it was anything but. After the superman comeback, Hogan hit the legdrop but Jimmy Hart then knocked out ref Randy Anderson with the title belt. Hogan, not seeing it, told Hart to revive the ref, and the moment Hogan turned around, he threw the ref down again. As Hogan was pounding on Giant, Hart hit Hogan with the belt as well but he didn't sell it, but when he went after Hart, he was caught from behind by a deadly bearhug. Luger and Savage then did a run-in, but Hart hit Savage with the belt and Luger began attacking Savage and Hogan. Yetti (who turned out to be Ron Reis wrapped up like SMW's Prince Charmin since Giant Gonzalez went AWOL after being hospitalized in mid-week after actually getting into the country to do the angle), who was a good three or four inches taller than our original Giant, combined for a double bearhug on Hogan. At least I hope that's what it was, because it looked more like a kinky sandwich. Yetti isn't supposed to be a mummy but is supposed to be an abominable snowman from the Himalayas. They got it half right. Luger then put Hogan in the torture rack. Hogan and Savage were left laying as the Dungeon of Doom left the ring. It started as a great angle but turned into something campy in the worst way when the guy wrapped up in toilet paper showed up and tried to have sex with Hogan. Giant left with the title belt. ** (mainly for the post-match)

quote:

This was Hogan's final WCW match until February or March. While there was apparent communication between Hogan and the WWF for him to go there in 1996, if WCW felt there was any seriousness to the chance of this happening, there is no way they would have kept the belt on him and it's doubtful Jimmy Hart was going to shoot an angle against Hogan unless they all had long-term plans of staying put. The show was somewhat reminiscent of a 1990 Clash where Flair turned heel on Sting, and where Sting blew out his knee doing the angle, and the turn left WCW without any babyfaces. With everyone turning heel and Hogan gone, plus Savage working on a serious injury, they've got Sting and nothing else. They're building a charismatic Four Horsemen heel team and an unbelievably uncharismatic Dungeon of Doom team (aside from The Giant), but who are they all going to wrestle, especially since all the New Japan wrestlers coming in this week are also going to be heels?

quote:

Nitro on 10/30 from Dayton was the second straight weak show basically being uneventful. The whole show was changed due to Savage's legit injury and all the turns. Eddy Guerrero beat Craig Pittman in 5:31 with a cradle. Pittman was really green but did some great suplexes. (**), Scott Norton double count out Shark in 2:49 in a match which was a waste of time and accomplished nothing but dragging Norton down to the level of mediocrity before he even had a chance to get over (1/4*), Sabu pinned Disco Inferno in 2:26 with a somersault legdrop into the ring (*1/4) and Lex Luger & Meng beat American Males when Luger made Marcus Bagwell submit to the torture rack in 10:43 (*). Match had very little heat. Some of the stuff with Luger against Scotty Riggs wa embarrassingly bad. The lack of heat was scary since Luger and Jimmy Hart had just turned. The best thing on the TV show was the Horseman interview. Flair, Anderson and Pillman have a great charisma together. Only question is, with everyone else have turned or gotten hurt, who are they going to wrestle? Figure Pillman & Benoit to feud with Harlem Heat over the tag belts, but that size difference and considering it's the big team that are the faces and how bad Stevie Ray is makes it hard to go very far with that one. The show drew 3,500 fans, about 2,500 paid and a $31,000 house.

quote:

Want to know why belts mean nothing in WCW? Harlem Heat's win of the tag title was on TV over the American Males airing on 10/28. On the four hour block of Main Event and PPV, the title change was never mentioned once. On Nitro, it was also never mentioned except for a clip announcing that Heat would defend against Blue Bloods the WCW Saturday Night on 11/4. And when Males came out, they were never even acknowledged as former champs, the match (from just two days earlier) was never mentioned, and the commentary made them out to be two jobbers for Luger & Meng.

quote:

Disney tapings for 13 weeks of both WCW World Wide and the Pro will be 11/2 to 11/5 and again from 11/7 to 11/9. The deal with Bobby Heenan and the Japanese guy will go something like this. The Japanese guy in the skits is Sonny Onno, the used car salesman from Iowa who was a former kick boxer and knows next to nothing about wrestling, which naturally makes him Eric Bischoff's top adviser and Japanese liaison. Bischoff on the Main Event show said he had no idea who the guy was even though he did several skits earlier this year (Japanese rep during the reinstate Ric Flair angle) and has done three PPV shows doing color with Bischoff as well (of course, nobody actually bought any of those shows). The story is that Onno, using probably the Mr. Ishikawa name, will buy a percentage of the WCW Pro, fire Dusty and Zbyszko and take over as color commentator himself doing racist Japanese commentary and have most of the matches on the show be New Japan wrestlers as heels, and this is to build heat for Starrcade. Heenan will do pro-Japanese commentary on some of the other shows.

quote:

With Giant Gonzalez out of the picture, they are searching for a third Giant for the three-ring three-giant Battle Royal on 11/26. Best bet would be either Giant Haystacks from England (who is actually only 6-6) or the Canadian Giant that worked in Texas many years ago as Paul Bunyan, who was 7-1 but had no charisma.

quote:

A Lilburn, GA physician was indicted on 83 counts of prescription drug violations, among those he's alleged to have supplied was former WCW wrestler Mark Ty Hilderth (Van Hammer) on 59 occasions between 10/22/93 and 8/25/94.

I am amazed Dave avoided making a remark there.

quote:

WCW Saturday Night tapings on 10/25 before 650 fans saw among the highlights, Orndorff acting dejected because of the mirror deal while winning squashes, Flair & Sting working as a team over State Patrol. Arn Anderson beat Kurasawa in a *3/4 match when Pillman and Benoit came to ringside and Benoit DDT'd Kurasawa on the floor. Sting (without the U.S. belt) pinned Bunkhouse Buck. Joey Maggs was scouted again by Teddy Long and did a job for Anderson. Disco Inferno lost to Mark Starr, then started dancing and talking about having an undefeated record. Benoit pinned Guerrero in 15:00 of a ****1/4 match using the ropes. Guerrero was super over. Humorous (Bill DeMott, formerly The Man of Question for all of two TV appearances) debuted with the new gimmick as a member of the Dungeon of Doom but was DQ'd against Dwayne Gill. Flair, working as a total heel (as opposed to the total face role he played earlier in the taping), used the figure four on Jerry Lynn (without a mask) in a * match. Flair was nursing a bad shoulder so he was way below par.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Frot Lesnar posted:

Anyone got a youtube of these?

I'm not sure what MDA means here. Muscular Dystrophy Association?

Also, great quotes, MRP.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I had no clue Sabu was in 1995 WCW, much less that he wrestled Jerry Lynn. I'll have to start reading those old newsletters, I've always skipped them since I wasn't following wrestling at all in that period. Reading about Big Show's major debut was interesting as well, don't usually think about him being around that long even though I remember his nWo period.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 2, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Thauros posted:

I had no clue Sabu was in 1995 WCW, much less that he wrestled Jerry Lynn. I'll have to start reading those old newsletters, I've always skipped them since I wasn't following wrestling at all in that period.

He was only there for like three months. They wanted him to be a cornerstone of their cruiserweight division I believe. He probably didn't stay because WCW was always wishy washy on letting guys work in Japan at the same time. Maybe he gave an official reason in a shoot.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love how Meltzer puts real names in brackets in those old newsletters. In some cases like the Zodiac it makes sense, but would I really be confused when he is talking about Lex Luger?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Thauros posted:

I had no clue Sabu was in 1995 WCW, much less that he wrestled Jerry Lynn. I'll have to start reading those old newsletters, I've always skipped them since I wasn't following wrestling at all in that period. Reading about Big Show's major debut was interesting as well, don't usually think about him being around that long even though I remember his nWo period.

WCW had some real interesting transition periods, '95 being one of them with the influx of ECW guys and luchadores. The other being ~1990 or so with the AWA castoffs and japanese guys.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ThatCguy posted:

WCW had some real interesting transition periods, '95 being one of them with the influx of ECW guys and luchadores. The other being ~1990 or so with the AWA castoffs and japanese guys.

I loved all of the crazy things WCW tried in the early 90s. I'm a big stupid mark for the BattleBowl.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'm the same way with WarGames. I know it's a loving terrible concept for a match, but I'd watch every one if they started making them again.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is there a reason that Meltzer puts the real names in parenthesis? The real names of wrestlers aren't ever used for anything and the people reading the newsletter probably either already knew them or didn't care about them.

Also, let me know if there's some bit of video you'd like to see from WCW and I'll see if I can make it happen. Just be very specific when it comes to the date of the show.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way with WarGames. I know it's a loving terrible concept for a match, but I'd watch every one if they started making them again.

War Games rules. Bite your tongue.

Triple H apparently loves that match, too, so maybe we'll get it back when he's in charge. Hopefully with two rings, too. I'd give anything to see Survivor Series return to all-elimination matches with a War Games main event.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

BattleBowl
WarGames
Starrcade 89 Iron Man/Iron Team Tournaments
The Lethal Lottery
SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE A DEAL

I love how obsessed they were in the early 90s with tag tournaments.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MrBling posted:

Is there a reason that Meltzer puts the real names in parenthesis? The real names of wrestlers aren't ever used for anything and the people reading the newsletter probably either already knew them or didn't care about them.

Also, let me know if there's some bit of video you'd like to see from WCW and I'll see if I can make it happen. Just be very specific when it comes to the date of the show.

Does he still do that? I know he used to (or maybe not know, but I think he used to) like every few weeks or so, as there wasn't an internet back in the day where you could find real names. So he was essentially adding a point you could look back on to find real names if you wanted to. I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

What are you talking about? Some of the best WCW matches are WarGames.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wasn't there a "random draw" tag tournament in the early 90s for WCW, where no-one bothered to tell Dusty he was supposed to kayfabe the draw, so we ended with legitimately random teams?

I vaguely remember a Barry Windham/Great Muta team.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

Wasn't there a "random draw" tag tournament in the early 90s for WCW, where no-one bothered to tell Dusty he was supposed to kayfabe the draw, so we ended with legitimately random teams?

I vaguely remember a Barry Windham/Great Muta team.

Sounds like you're talking about Lethal Lottery from Starrcade 91 and 92.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Probably was.

I just remember seeing a shoot interview with someone regarding it, and they stated that Dusty was meant to kayfabe the draw, to ensure you'd get intentional teams. Instead he did legit just draw names out of a hat, and booked around that.

As I said, Windham/Muta is the one that springs to mind.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love the idea of legit doing random drawings and booking around it. It seems like it would be a fun exercise for the booker, and for us fans we'd get one really weird show. I'd rather that once in a while than "can you believe that these two mortal enemies are teaming up? How will they EVER coexist?!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I love the idea of legit doing random drawings and booking around it. It seems like it would be a fun exercise for the booker, and for us fans we'd get one really weird show. I'd rather that once in a while than "can you believe that these two mortal enemies are teaming up? How will they EVER coexist?!"

Plus as TNA proved with Beer Money and Joe/Magnus, random pairings might end up turning into a pretty decent tag team.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

BattleBowl
WarGames
Starrcade 89 Iron Man/Iron Team Tournaments
The Lethal Lottery
SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE A DEAL

I love how obsessed they were in the early 90s with tag tournaments.
Junkyard Invitational?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That was neither in the early 90s, or a tag tournament.

But it still deserves recognition for both looking like no-one was even close to getting hurt, and legitimately injuring a good portion of the people involved.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moth Banquet posted:

Junkyard Invitational?

That wasn't the early 90s.

EDIT: What Voge said

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VogeGandire posted:

That was neither in the early 90s, or a tag tournament.

But it still deserves recognition for both looking like no-one was even close to getting hurt, and legitimately injuring a good portion of the people involved.

Wasn't Battlebowl just a straight up 2 ring Battle Royale?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Toffile posted:

To determine the entrants of Battlebowl, there was a tag tournament, the Lethal Lottery.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toffile posted:

Not exactly. Everyone starts in the first ring. Eventually it ends up just one man. Everyone else goes into the second ring for a "second chance". That goes down to one man. Then both men fight it out to decide the eventual winner.

I completely understand why some people would find that stupid but I loving love the match.

bartok
May 10, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Probably was.

I just remember seeing a shoot interview with someone regarding it, and they stated that Dusty was meant to kayfabe the draw, to ensure you'd get intentional teams. Instead he did legit just draw names out of a hat, and booked around that.

As I said, Windham/Muta is the one that springs to mind.

They were a surprisingly great combination along with their opponents Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bartok posted:

They were a surprisingly great combination along with their opponents Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio.

It gave us some incredible teams like Vader and Mr. Hughes, some odd pairings like Sting and Abdullah the Butcher but then it gave the magic that was Larry Zybysko and El Gigante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

poo poo, how could I have forgotten Zybysko/Gigante.