Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Old Vipers do kind of suck to sit in after they've been idling awhile. Driving down the road in one when it's up to temp isn't so bad except for the poor airflow through the window, but sit in one that's been idling for 20 minutes on a hot summer day? gently caress that, you could pop popcorn in there. The first generation R/T10 isn't that bad because the top is either off or isn't exactly air tight, but the GTS is pure hell inside. The second and third gen SRT10 isn't much better.

I can't wait until we get a fourth gen through the auction, it looks like such a refined car compared to the other three.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geirskogul posted:

In the manual it says "doesn't require maintenance," and they leave a housing you can loving open.

I don't think this is a PZEV thing. Subaru recommends a 30k interval on the 2009 Legacy PZEV's air filter.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A lot of interesting points, but unless I'm mistaken (which I'm rather confident I am not) a springs rate is constant throughout its range of motion. Coil overs simply allow the adjustment of the preload or tension of the spring, usually changing the ride height. This would still be much easier to achieve than adjusting preload on a leaf spring (if that's even a thing)

Corvettes do in fact have pre-load for the transverse leafs, and you rightly point out the problem with them: rate consistency. You end up with springs that don't have enough initial resistance to a load and a profile that changes depending on the adjustments used. Unfortunately this is how ride height is adjusted as well, so you end up with different effective spring rates if your car happens to be scraping on the ground a lot and you crank it up to stop it. Coilovers are a very common modification for them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is pretty fun reading about all the strange things people have used to fuel engines. My favorite has to be a car sporting a gas turbine fueled with coal dust.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's nothing. The first thing that could be classified as an internal combustion engine, which was invented by the same brothers who invented photography, ran on powdered moss and was ignited by a fuse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyr%C3%A9olophore

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 29, 2012

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I'm always impressed when you can color code your truck nuts with your flames.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

:effort:

I hate other people.
Also, the irony of parking a "Armada" in a compact space is not lost on me.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aurune posted:

I hate other people.

This is why I like having a shitbox for errands. Block 'em in. I blocked in a dotcom-rich porsche owner who took up 5 parking spots once (in a very small lot) nearly a lifetime ago. My buddy with the beat up 80s Toyota and my big old G-Body kept his car safe and secure in the parking lot overnight. :angel:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Meydey posted:

I can't help but be reminded of the PC-game Worms 2 by the "flames" on that truck. They so resemble the odd-colored lands that would populate the various levels.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Aurune posted:

I hate other people.

Chromatic coffee?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Viggen posted:

This is why I like having a shitbox for errands. Block 'em in. I blocked in a dotcom-rich porsche owner who took up 5 parking spots once (in a very small lot) nearly a lifetime ago. My buddy with the beat up 80s Toyota and my big old G-Body kept his car safe and secure in the parking lot overnight. :angel:
Couldn't he get your cars towed, or is it a private lot? I suppose you could have called a tow truck on him as well.
I like your approach more, don't get me wrong, but I wonder what I could do in those circumstances and see if I would have gotten away with blocking someone in as well.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Kachunkachunk posted:

Couldn't he get your cars towed, or is it a private lot? I suppose you could have called a tow truck on him as well.
I like your approach more, don't get me wrong, but I wonder what I could do in those circumstances and see if I would have gotten away with blocking someone in as well.

It was a private lot, and this was dotcom. We were both coding through the evening, roughly 2500ft from the parking lot. We didn't even leave until noon, and that was to go get food.

We were technically just skirting the spaces on either side, and we may have actually kept him from being towed - if he had pissed off others in the business park for his actions, he would have been towed if enough people called the administrative office.

The problem we had was that everyone who worked there was assigned a single space by the building management - god forbid you were a client who parked on the 'hidden' side of the parking lot. This guy literally pulled across several sideways and kept several of our coworkers from parking in the 'patrolled' lot (it had cameras).

It was a dickhead move in response to a dickhead move. However, we did not touch, or otherwise mess with his car. We just sent him the 'Don't do this' signal. He didn't do it again.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Aurune posted:

I hate other people.

This looks like the parking lot in front of the Harbor Freight in SJ. At least it's usually empty and he did it further back.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
That new Corvette looks awesome. I don't give a poo poo what anybody says.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Please God no.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

b0nes posted:

Please God no.

Please Lord YES! I hate the R35 with a passion but this on the other hand is brilliant.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

rscott posted:

Climax, eh? Seems like someone had some drunk sex

Makes me want to see a new drifting van mock-up by Chevy - the Astro Glide

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

b0nes posted:

Please God no.

Eh? Where does the roof go? Does it have a roof? I can't see from that angle how any kind of roof other than some kind of completely removable thing would even work.

thealphabetsez posted:

I can't help but be reminded of the PC-game Worms 2 by the "flames" on that truck. They so resemble the odd-colored lands that would populate the various levels.

Also this is bang on. It's the shading that seals it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Meydey posted:

"Do I have trouble getting into my ridiculous truck? I did at first, now I carefully place a Monster Energy can to use as a step-stool. I am a small, diminutive man as you might have guessed, so it works perfectly!"

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

AirRaid posted:

Eh? Where does the roof go? Does it have a roof? I can't see from that angle how any kind of roof other than some kind of completely removable thing would even work.

I'm fairly certain that's a photoshop.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

It depends on what kind of roof it has. If it's a soft top, probably in the trunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09Gh07KRws

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Friend sent this over to me. It took me a minute to figure out WTF was going on in this pic.

I guess the guy who did this is a locksmith and had no washers lying around?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:stonk:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You know in Texas we don't really have vehicle inspections which is very convenient / cheap however idiots like this make me really wish that rule was reversed....

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

JP Money posted:

You know in Texas we don't really have vehicle inspections which is very convenient / cheap however idiots like this make me really wish that rule was reversed....

Well, we have half-assed inspections. Lights, wipers, and horn work? You're good. Also, in certain counties you've gotta pass smog. For my T-Bird it basically goes 'You drove it in? Good enough. Here's your sticker.'

Luckily, in Texas we also don't worry too much about rust like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I didn't even see the piece of wood in there....I just saw the rust and said that was enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's turning into a morgan :haw:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Is that a 2x4 that supposed to be reinforcing the rail?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Kill-9 posted:

Friend sent this over to me. It took me a minute to figure out WTF was going on in this pic.

I guess the guy who did this is a locksmith and had no washers lying around?

Well, at least if I ever run into a rustpile like that it won't be me getting sardined.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
The rust is horrendous.

However this idea of using a key as an emergency washer is AI to the max.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Load-bearing eco-friendly composite chassis section.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I wanna know how he got the 2X4 in there to start with. How'd he get it over the bend in the frame if he slid it from the back? I guess he just slipped it in through a gaping rust hole?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

I wanna know how he got the 2X4 in there to start with. How'd he get it over the bend in the frame if he slid it from the back? I guess he just slipped it in through a gaping rust hole?
It's C-section. Sure, it might have been boxed from the factory, but it's C-section now.

Edit: The fact that the answer to "How did you get that through that gap?" is "C-section" amuses me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I didn't even see the piece of wood in there....I just saw the rust and said that was enough.

I figured out those were wood screws before I saw the wood. All, "hey, wait a minute..."

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

JP Money posted:

We don't have them here in BC either, which is good because i'd have nothing to drive if we did

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Someone please post that crazy Russian website where they poorly repair totalled vehicles.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Polymerized Cum posted:

Someone please post that crazy Russian website where they poorly repair totalled vehicles.

http://m3.madrussian.net/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wouldn't say that they're poorly repaired - on the contrary, the repairs are fairly amazing on most of them. The issue is that what they repaired should not ever be touched by human hands. Once you break certain structures in a unibody, the entire thing needs to be replaced.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Are you sure? That just takes me to a BMW page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Polymerized Cum posted:

Are you sure? That just takes me to a BMW page

:thejoke:

I thought I saved it as a bookmark, but I couldn't find it. :smith:

E: How the hell are there 2x the number of folks in YOSPOS than AI?

Viggen fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 3, 2013