Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I had the space for it I'd totally get my own set of free weights off of craigslist for cheap. The annoying thing is that every time I've been to the gym at an obscure hour recently, there have only been two other people in the weight training section and they were both using the two available squat racks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've tried the at-home thing a few times. I always wind up selling or throwing away everything I bought. Just not the right environment for working out for me I guess, if some oiled-up beefy gay guy isn't staring me down in the gay man's temple I just can't get into working out.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

vacation in kabul posted:

I've tried the at-home thing a few times. I always wind up selling or throwing away everything I bought. Just not the right environment for working out for me I guess, if some oiled-up beefy gay guy isn't staring me down in the gay man's temple I just can't get into working out.

I like being able to do other poo poo while I'm working out. Instead of sitting there staring at the bar in between sets I'll work on some chores or play with my dog or something. And then I post about it on the internet.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I usually lift between 1030pm-midnight to avoid waiting for equipment.

xwonderboyx posted:

I like being able to do other poo poo while I'm working out. Instead of sitting there staring at the bar in between sets I'll work on some chores or play with my dog or something. And then I post about it on the internet.

When I lifted at home, I liked being able to walk downstairs, put on whatever music I want, lift and then walk back upstairs. Really blew through the workouts. The downside is that there's nobody around to save you if you drop the bar on your throat.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Veins McGee posted:

The downside is that there's nobody around to save you if you drop the bar on your throat.

I can't lift heavy enough to worry about that :smug:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
bench in a power cage(if your gym is ungay enough to have one)!!!!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

What's the difficulty level? Sounds like an interesting challenge and fun way to get some PT in.

I've got an AAR I'm writing up if you wanna read it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

xwonderboyx posted:

Also instead of rowing I will just run more.

Fine if you're going for pure cardio but you won't get the full body benefit of rowing by running a lot.

vains
May 26, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

bench in a power cage(if your gym is ungay enough to have one)!!!!

Or just bench without a spotter so you have that extra incentive to not fail to get the weight up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

Or just bench without a spotter so you have that extra incentive to not fail to get the weight up.

This is the manliest (and therefore correctest) technique.

Realtalk: I only do dumbbell bench/incline/milpress because it doesn't require a spotter. But I'm also interested in higher-repetition training for my chest and arms; using a bar and spotter is definitely the way to go if you're looking for sheer strength gains.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
YO JOE!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499262&pagenumber=4#post411116886

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Did you buy one of the sick Operator 400 dollar backpacks???

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got one of the OFFICIAL GORUCK GR1 bags and regret it.

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

The stones hurt my knees.

The stones on Mt Suribachi probably didn't feel too good either, devil.

https://www.goruckgear.com/gear/details/GR1

You spent 400 on this?

vains fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 2, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Deathy McDeath posted:

I got one of the OFFICIAL GORUCK GR1 bags and regret it.

cmon deathy :smith:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's nice as a general backpack, but no chest strap and no hip belt really limits it.

I know, I know :smith:

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

It's nice as a general backpack, but no chest strap and no hip belt really limits it.

I know, I know :smith:

ahahahah what a ripoff. You paid $400 for a $50 PX daypack.

This pack is $400 and worth every penny.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/satl-assault-pack

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

its "only" 300 my figure was a bit inflated ;)

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

Where are you getting 400$ from? The GR1 is 300$ normally but they take 30% off if you buy it when you register for a challenge. Still wasn't worth 200$, though. I will say that, internally, its really well designed and protects your back from getting roughed up. The straps are okay. Everything else is fine.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Deathy McDeath posted:

Where are you getting 400$ from? The GR1 is 300$ normally but they take 30% off if you buy it when you register for a challenge. Still wasn't worth 200$, though. I will say that, internally, its really well designed and protects your back from getting roughed up. The straps are okay. Everything else is fine.

my made up number probably heh

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

My bad, I just assumed mokers made up number was accurate. $200 for that is still outrageous.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I wear a sleek sexy jan sport i got at academy, its pretty tactical

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

My bad, I just assumed mokers made up number was accurate. $200 for that is still outrageous.

I agree with you totally. Half of that would be a good price. But that's what you get for something thats MADE IN AMERICA by REAL AMERICAN VETERANS who proudly make AMERICAN products. Its not Skilcraft but these people may be blind.

I did like the rigid walls and back support. It kept everything from shifting around inside when we had to run (We did indian runs the entire way after we dropped off our log).

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Obviously I have a huge hardon for this company, but they do have lifetime free repairs on their bags. I have a few friends who had the zipper break or have some fabric tears and all they had to do was pay to ship it to the company and have it repaired for free.

Then again, I make fat contractor stacks so this poo poo doesn't bother me.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

xwonderboyx posted:

Obviously I have a huge hardon for this company, but they do have lifetime free repairs on their bags. I have a few friends who had the zipper break or have some fabric tears and all they had to do was pay to ship it to the company and have it repaired for free.

Then again, I make fat contractor stacks so this poo poo doesn't bother me.

Sounds like they're quality made. Heh.

What I'm saying is for 300 bucks you probably shouldn't know multiple people who have already broken them if they were worth that much ;)

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I had a small tear in the bottom as a result of being dragged across a beach and onto pavement, but otherwise its still holding up nicely.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sounds like they're quality made. Heh.

What I'm saying is for 300 bucks you probably shouldn't know multiple people who have already broken them if they were worth that much ;)

Maybe they use them really roughly and often over a period of years? I'm sorry about your poorness.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

xwonderboyx posted:

Maybe they use them really roughly and often over a period of years? I'm sorry about your poorness.

haha sorry you paid an absurd amount of money to pay for a day of ~camaraderie~ with a bunch of people by carrying a log and doing stupid obstacles or whatever and got to speak to a REAL OPERATOR! and then bought their stupid gay backpack and continue to pay to carry said logs for some false sense of brotherhood or whatever well cya

(not you deathy you're cool)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

haha sorry you paid an absurd amount of money to pay for a day of ~camaraderie~ with a bunch of people by carrying a log and doing stupid obstacles or whatever and got to speak to a REAL OPERATOR! and then bought their stupid gay backpack and continue to pay to carry said logs for some false sense of brotherhood or whatever well cya

(not you deathy you're cool)

Just kidding, dude! Now you hurt my feelings :(

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Moker-kun.....:negative:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Sorry. 5 points from slytherin :/

ima do a thing called GOSUB where i turn the lights really low in my house and lock people in there and wont let them see the outdoors and they have to take logs on my thermostat and clean my apartment constantly ill also scream stuff at them when they try to sleep on an intercom and refuse to shower but we still have to share a bed

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2013

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I don't think I get trolling.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

xwonderboyx posted:

You called me poor. Its true, but its a trigger word for me. I'm sorry for lashing out. Let's all be friends.

vains
May 26, 2004

xwonderboyx posted:

You called me poor. Its true, but its a trigger word for me. I'm sorry for lashing out. Let's all be friends.

He's trolling you in this post. You can tell because he used proper capitalization, punctuation, and grammer.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

I have a Camelbak Trizip which is essentially a licensed (And much cheaper in price) clone of the Mystery Ranch assault pack. Fantastic bag on account of the frame that Mystery Ranch designed. Do these Goruck bags even have a real frame?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That GR1 looks like a square Jansport.

vains
May 26, 2004

ima do a thing called GOSUB where i turn the lights really low in my house and lock people in there and wont let them see the outdoors and they have to take logs on my thermostat and clean my apartment constantly ill also scream stuff at them when they try to sleep on an intercom and refuse to shower but we still have to share a bed

Show me where to sign! I am a dumb white person with too much money and I want to pay someone to haze me for a few hours.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Moker implied multiple days with the whole bed thing :pervert:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

This is the manliest (and therefore correctest) technique.

Realtalk: I only do dumbbell bench/incline/milpress because it doesn't require a spotter. But I'm also interested in higher-repetition training for my chest and arms; using a bar and spotter is definitely the way to go if you're looking for sheer strength gains.

Same here with the dumbbell bench, so few other infantry officers ever want to lift so no spotter. I think dumbbell bench is probably a better chest workout all things being equal, but obviously it's more fun to lift like a poo poo ton of weight on the bar with a spotter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/pictures/inside-justin-biebers-workout-routine-2011243/13669

After seeing his routine, call me a Belieber.