Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

If you use Nova Launcher there's a way to show an unread badge on the GMail icon. It's not a paid feature and is available on the free version.
Specifically this is supported via the plugin app TeslaUnread.

It also now supports Email as well as Gmail, you just have to let it create an invisible widget to pull the unread count from (quite a neat little trick they found there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

YggiDee posted:

Is there a 1x1 widget that could just show my unread e-mail count?

Nova launcher with the plug in that was mentioned is probably the most elegant solution, and if you're using the stock launcher it wouldn't hurt to look into Nova anyway, but you could always make your own widget with UCCW or Zooper that shows your unread count and opens the messaging app when pressed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Konjuro posted:

Nova launcher with the plug in that was mentioned is probably the most elegant solution, and if you're using the stock launcher it wouldn't hurt to look into Nova anyway, but you could always make your own widget with UCCW or Zooper that shows your unread count and opens the messaging app when pressed.
Zooper is so good. I know it's been said before but it really needs to be reiterated how pleasant to use it is. I'm so glad to have exactly the data I want without the data I don't without having to use Beautiful Widgets which just looks so dated now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I've given Nova Launcher a try, my first non stock launcher and noticed a few widgets are missing like the calendar and weather, what do you guys recommend to get them/that functionality back?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Is there a good phone call recorder? something to record both sides of the conversation and (preferably) allow me to annotate it? *

*ignore the legal issues

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

spog posted:

Is there a good phone call recorder? something to record both sides of the conversation and (preferably) allow me to annotate it? *

*ignore the legal issues

Well, if you can link your number to Google Voice, you can record conversations and save them as an mp3. I think this only works on Sprint, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LastInLine posted:

Zooper is so good. I know it's been said before but it really needs to be reiterated how pleasant to use it is. I'm so glad to have exactly the data I want without the data I don't without having to use Beautiful Widgets which just looks so dated now.

Beautiful Widgets is dated? News to me. It just got a huge update a few weeks ago.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

I tried to use Zooper a couple of weeks back, but it's just way too much of a time investment up front to get everything arranged the way you want. If there was a way to share configurations so I could start from someone else's template that I really like and just tweak it I would probably give it another go.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My problem with zooper is this : My phone is my watch. I quickly turn the screen on and look at the clock, on occasion. I use a zooper widget on my lockscreen (widgetlocker) to display time and some other information, but the time does not update instantly along with the system clock. So : I turn the screen on and often times I look at the screen and put it back in my pocket before the widget's time updates.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Nova Launcher updated on my phone yesterday, and now any folders placed in my dock are displaying misaligned with its background like this:

Is there a setting I missed? I've been using Nova for months, and it just suddenly did this. As you can see, folders on a home screen are fine.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use Apex so I can't help, but what is that rad sports widget?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I wouldn't call BW dated.

Zooper also has a problem, in that it only looks good if you have nothing else on the same screen as it. That's all fine and well if you're into minimalism but I'm not interested in turning my phone into a modern art installation - I like having folders and shortcuts on my home screen(s) so that I can actually get on with the business of using my phone with as few taps as possible.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
For those who want something like Zooper but don't like Zooper, there is Ultimate Custom Widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.vineetsirohi.customwidget&hl=en

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nerdrock posted:

My problem with zooper is this : My phone is my watch. I quickly turn the screen on and look at the clock, on occasion. I use a zooper widget on my lockscreen (widgetlocker) to display time and some other information, but the time does not update instantly along with the system clock. So : I turn the screen on and often times I look at the screen and put it back in my pocket before the widget's time updates.

Yeah, when I used to use a clock on my homescreen, I always had this problem with Beautiful Widgets.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

So according to Google Now I'm currently on a flight from Paris to Newark, despite the fact that (to my knowledge) I haven't even been on the same continent as Paris today, or that I haven't Googled any flights, or haven't received any emails with flight info. This is the second time in the last month or so a random flight has shown up for me, anyone have any idea what's happening?

Showing flights I haven't booked, yet still won't show any of my tracking info. :v:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Konjuro posted:

So according to Google Now I'm currently on a flight from Paris to Newark, despite the fact that (to my knowledge) I haven't even been on the same continent as Paris today, or that I haven't Googled any flights, or haven't received any emails with flight info. This is the second time in the last month or so a random flight has shown up for me, anyone have any idea what's happening?

Showing flights I haven't booked, yet still won't show any of my tracking info. :v:

Could you be having the issue of a wifi geo location showing up incorrectly maybe?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Search your Gmail for "EC 3", the IATA code/flight number of the flight that's showing up on that card.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

None of those bring up any results in my Gmail.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Well, if you can link your number to Google Voice, you can record conversations and save them as an mp3. I think this only works on Sprint, though.

I don't have GV. Which is a shame, as it sounds cool, thanks.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Gyshall posted:

I use Apex so I can't help, but what is that rad sports widget?

Espn Sports Center widget

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, I just ditched Boid (and TweetLanes) for Falcon Pro and I'm really happy with it. I was a big fan of Boid, but wanted something that would be getting continued support. Although I'd like a black theme, I don't mind the grey. I guess my only complaint would be that I can't have two accounts, since I run the account for a business as well. Am I missing a way to do that?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

I don't have GV. Which is a shame, as it sounds cool, thanks.
Google Voice sounds neat, but it's severely hampered by its inability to receive MMS. If you switch to it, be prepared to have friends bitch at you when they send you a picture of their dog's butthole or a group text message and you don't receive it. The ability to send and receive text messages via a browser is one of GV's strong points, but with Android apps like AirDroid, that seems less and less like a killer feature.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Konjuro posted:

Thanks, now every thing's rad. :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Karthe posted:

Google Voice sounds neat, but it's severely hampered by its inability to receive MMS. If you switch to it, be prepared to have friends bitch at you when they send you a picture of their dog's butthole or a group text message and you don't receive it. The ability to send and receive text messages via a browser is one of GV's strong points, but with Android apps like AirDroid, that seems less and less like a killer feature.

It's either hampered or GLORIFIED by this. Personally, I don't think I've ever received an MMS I actually wanted to receive. Now I can just tell those people "haha, gently caress your MMS, why don't you join the 21st century and use email".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

It's either hampered or GLORIFIED by this. Personally, I don't think I've ever received an MMS I actually wanted to receive. Now I can just tell those people "haha, gently caress your MMS, why don't you join the 21st century and use email".

My carrier charges me data for emails, but not for MMS.

Also, if you're sending private photos (don't do this you twits), I suppose MMS results in fewer intermediate servers containing the data along the way.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I recently downloaded RD Mute (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.raidroid.rdmute&hl=en) for my phone because I am in and out of meetings and its super cool to auto mute my phone by flipping it over. They also have a "driving a car" feature that mutes your phone when you're driving.

Is there an app out there that will mute while driving but also auto respond to anyone texting me that I'm driving and will get back to them? Like a context sensitive text answering machine?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

So you're basically a pre-iOS 3 iPhone owner.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

UnbornApple posted:

So you're basically a pre-iOS 3 iPhone owner.

No.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah this is great until you have actual friends who use MMS for group messaging.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My carrier charges me data for emails, but not for MMS.

Also, if you're sending private photos (don't do this you twits), I suppose MMS results in fewer intermediate servers containing the data along the way.

My carrier is the exact opposite (EE, UK). Emails are free, MMS are 25p each. Pissed me off when the stock OS would take a long SMS and convert it to an MMS.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

MMS has come up before and it seems to be very different in the US vs. the UK. You guys in the states seem to get it for free and use it a lot, whereas it's extremely rare for it to be free in the UK (e.g. my contract charges me 30p per MMS) so the usual response is "what the hell is MMS?". Most people here haven't even heard of it and wouldn't use it if you explained it to them because they can just use email or any of the various group chat apps which include picture messaging functionality for 'free' (i.e. using their inclusive data).

I can count the number of MMSs I've sent in my lifetime without running out of fingers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

rolleyes posted:

MMS has come up before and it seems to be very different in the US vs. the UK. You guys in the states seem to get it for free and use it a lot, whereas it's extremely rare for it to be free in the UK (e.g. my contract charges me 30p per MMS) so the usual response is "what the hell is MMS?". Most people here haven't even heard of it and wouldn't use it if you explained it to them because they can just use email or any of the various group chat apps which include picture messaging functionality for 'free' (i.e. using their inclusive data).

I can count the number of MMSs I've sent in my lifetime without running out of fingers.

Yeah, in the states MMS is just considered another form of "messaging" by the carrier, and a lot of people just tack on "unlimited messaging" when getting plans.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, in the states MMS is just considered another form of "messaging" by the carrier, and a lot of people just tack on "unlimited messaging" when getting plans.

I think operators here saw the popularity of SMS and assumed that MMS would be another huge cash cow. Which it could have been, right up until the execs got involved and decided to charge at least double what SMS had ever cost even in the early days, and did so right at the time that large inclusive SMS allowances were becoming common in contract deals. As with so many other things, greed killed it stone dead. If it was priced competitively back when it came out then things could have been very different.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just remove MMS from the APN.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah this is great until you have actual friends who use MMS for group messaging.

Yeah, most definitely. Like I said, I just meant for me personally.

Hardly any of my friends use SMS, much less MMS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
MMS messages are also able to be sent to most people with us phones by sending an email to phonenumber@carrier (where the phone number was their cell number and carrier was the carrier's domain). This was rather useful if you wanted to message someone for free back before everyone had data on their phones, you could even include pictures.

E.g. 9178675309@mms.att.net

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

Well, I just ditched Boid (and TweetLanes) for Falcon Pro and I'm really happy with it. I was a big fan of Boid, but wanted something that would be getting continued support. Although I'd like a black theme, I don't mind the grey. I guess my only complaint would be that I can't have two accounts, since I run the account for a business as well. Am I missing a way to do that?

Falcon doesn't have multiple users support yet. It will eventually. Plume has it now if you'd like to try that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why MMS when you can Facebook or Snapchat?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Radbot posted:

Why MMS when you can Facebook or Snapchat?

Sexting. No other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Falcon doesn't have multiple users support yet. It will eventually. Plume has it now if you'd like to try that.

For some reason, I just can't get into Plume. I don't know why, I just can't.

• Locked thread