Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gullous posted:

There is one tolerated spot at the powerlines; directly across from the substation. We've been ignored by the cops three times now. The locals back this up. All the other areas look sketchy, with signs and such. Still, Walker is a better area if you're looking to explore fire roads.

Near Granite Falls is a huge fire road area. Just beware of the usual redneck bullshit (drunk rednecks + guns/trucks/meth). I've dual sported the area and it's extensive and remote, it sounds more up your alley than Walker. Unfortunately it's likely snowed in until Spring.

Where do you stage across from the substation? The only place I've rode up there is on the more eastern area where the gate is always open... I don't see a way in near the substation.

Green mountain... I know it well; we used to do drunken underage bonfires up there a decade+ ago. Haven't been up with the bikes yet though, and it'll definitely be under snow until Aprilish.

I say I suck, but I do prefer tighter trail riding over bombing down wide open USFS roads. I'll try pretty much anything that doesn't look like instant death on the enduro - whoops and berms are good and I haven't found any on my national forest excursions. Definitely haven't really scratched the surface of Walker over the course of my two total visits.

Are they ever going to reopen Reiter for motorized vehicles? It's a lot closer for me than Walker, I remember it being a lot of fun to go 4x4 out there.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I believe they've opened a single mile of trail at Reiter that looked incredibly tame; the photos posted looked more like a park than an ORV park. Everyone's expectations for Reiter are low based on what the county has said, but I haven't read up on in it in the last 6 months.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you want to learn more about Reiter and how Obama is the anti-christ and also a gun hating nazi, Thumpertalk has you covered in their regional section.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Found a really good 49 minute long instructional video on youtube, but it's obviously not the guys vid who uploaded it. Reckon it's cool to link or would that count as :files: it's got 8k views and hasn't been flagged yet.

In the meantime have a video of me this past weekend at Noel's. I really need to update my go pro. Anyhow, this is a short newbie section we put in, I have another vid of the harder section if anyone wants me to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT2Em-usZws

Slowest, hill climb, ever later in the vid. Was up on the pegs whole time but didn't get a good run at it so just chugged it up it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Trying to decide if I need a KTM 450 XC-F, 450 XCF-W or 500 EXC is driving me mad.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Hon(duh) 250L! I'm pretty sure thats a 250 liter engine, should be plenty.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Are you doing woods riding? 450/500 gonna heavier but prob not too much. No 2 stroke action? Kinda drooling for a 13 250 EX, buddy of mine just got one. Or the 350 is a nice in the middle bike, another buddy just got one of those too.

Need to read up more on the Honda 250L street legal version. Looked at it in the shop, doesn't sit as high as a WR250 and wondering how dirt worthy it is.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Silver posted:

Are you doing woods riding? 450/500 gonna heavier but prob not too much. No 2 stroke action? Kinda drooling for a 13 250 EX, buddy of mine just got one. Or the 350 is a nice in the middle bike, another buddy just got one of those too.

Need to read up more on the Honda 250L street legal version. Looked at it in the shop, doesn't sit as high as a WR250 and wondering how dirt worthy it is.

Woods, single track, double track, hare scrambles, supermoto, track days... problem is I do it all. I'm pretty set on a 450, though I'd love to have a go on a 350. Since I'm buying bran spanking new for the first time, I want to buy a bike with FI since its the new hotness and I love FI, which means no two strokes for now.

XCF = Motocross bike with a woodsy setup. Enduro racer.
XCF-W = Dual sport stripped of all the street legal stuff. Lower compression, lights, wider ratio transmission, kickstart + E-start, meant as near as I can tell as sort of a desert racer/dakar winner.
EXC = Street legal. They don't bother to make a 450 anymore since the 500 is 3.2lbs heavier than the 450. I don't care much about being street legal, except that eventually I'm going to get a full SM setup for this bike and in that case having a plate would be awesome... but all the extra hassle of street stuff (which I'm going to rip out anyway)

I just don't know.

I'm going to walk in on Saturday and leave with a 450 XCF and be happy as a clam. I just wish this was the kind of thing you could pop around a 5 mile loop out back and try them all back to back.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The W is the winningest bike in the new england championship hare scrambles.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Trying to decide if I need a KTM 450 XC-F, 450 XCF-W or 500 EXC is driving me mad.

Have you considered a rokon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKz7biIvZWQ

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

MosesPLester got my tires and wheel bearings on today. Bike sticks like velcro.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A 2013 KTM 450 XCF-W followed me home today.

6 speed transmission and being a bit more trail friendly won out. 6 Speed being the most important, for future SM duty.

Break in tomorrow!

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 30, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Oh god it's so clean. Never again!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I know, right? No matter how careful of a new owner you are, there is just no way to possibly keep your dirt bike looking factory floor good. Take a few pictures, then hit the biggest nastiest puddle you can find right away and get over it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That's extra sexy. I was in the shop yesterday and looking at KTM's. Eeesh.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First ride report: Holy poo poo so amazing

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

First ride report: Holy poo poo so amazing

Spiffness was worried about putting the first scratches on it. So I went ahead and crashed it a couple times for him.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Jealous :fap:

I'm 100% certain my next dirtbike will be a KTM, just gotta decide between the two smokers... the 300xc-w is calling my name but I've already gone down the road of 'way too much fuckin power' with my current bike, a yz450.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone tried the Freeride three-fiddy, Ossa Explorer or Sherco X-Ride?

Our offroad consists of a bunch of tiny, endangered 100m long lanes, the few motocross tracks that have managed to fend off planning challenges from local 1%ers and illegally riding across fields and bridleways ( :( ) . Trials are actually fairly accessible as well, so the idea of something I could use for foul weather/winter commuting, do some green laning on (all 200m of it, the thrill!) and also do the occasional wobbler trial on sounds like it could actually be worth dropping some money on. Especially as the Ossa and Sherco are fairly cheap.

A quick google turned up a video of random Romanians with a Freeride and an X-Ride, which actually made them look pretty good.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I've tried the Ossa 280i trails bike. It's amazingly awesome. The FI is perfect. A friend has owned it for a year now with no problems.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

VTNewb posted:

I've tried the Ossa 280i trails bike. It's amazingly awesome. The FI is perfect. A friend has owned it for a year now with no problems.

Was that a mis-type for trials bike or did you mean the Ossa Enduro?

It appears the Explorer is just a regeared version of the 280i motor with taller ratios near the top and a ~90mph 6th gear (not achievable without extreme danger presumably), so that's good news. A couple of youtube videos suggest it's more than capable of keeping up with traffic though.

Haven't had much luck tracking down actual written reviews of the Explorer, although at least one of the UK dealers claims to have one in stock. Being a trials company however, I doubt they understand the concept of demo bikes.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Here is my 2005 CRF450R:

I've only ridden it in the dunes so far. I have to put the knobbies back on, change out the hot start cable that is sticking and replace a broken spoke.

Changing tires when it's freezing out is hard (especially a paddle), so I keep putting it off.

I'm in Albany, Oregon.

Edit: https://www.crfsonly.com should be in the OP, it has a decent forum.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 2, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Saga posted:

Was that a mis-type for trials bike or did you mean the Ossa Enduro?

It appears the Explorer is just a regeared version of the 280i motor with taller ratios near the top and a ~90mph 6th gear (not achievable without extreme danger presumably), so that's good news. A couple of youtube videos suggest it's more than capable of keeping up with traffic though.

Haven't had much luck tracking down actual written reviews of the Explorer, although at least one of the UK dealers claims to have one in stock. Being a trials company however, I doubt they understand the concept of demo bikes.

Yes trials bikes. Awfully easy to mess that up.

When we do trials events we race them as fast as we can down the trails. 6th gear is remarkably tall, and I can tell you from experience, that poo poo is incredibly unstable.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ramsus posted:

Here is my 2005 CRF450R:

I just sold one of those. Great bikes and I will miss the ridiculous torque that engine has. Mine was SM trim and I've always wondered how different it was from one with dirt gearing and wheels.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's awesome in the dunes, but I'm sure when I hit the woods I'll regret getting a 450.

Edit: Shortly after my first ride, I had a leaky fork seal. I watched this three part video, which worked very well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G-b66F3es

It wasn't too difficult. I also tried this Seal Mate product since the seal looked pretty new and I figured it was probably just some dirt stuck in there. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzfoVroSY
It didn't work at all. It would bend and crumple as I tried to slide it in, and it'd leak to much oil for my taste while trying to get whatever grime might be up there.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 2, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Do you have hilly terrain or just flat woods? I never minded having a 250 2 stroke in the woods even. I feel a lot safer knowing the bike has the power to make it up hills and whatever else you throw at it versus an underpowered bike you don't have confidence in.

If I got another dirtbike in my eyes it's way easier to make a motocross bike work in the woods than it is to make a softly built woods bike work on jumps and stuff.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have a whole variety of terrain. If it's woods then it's most likely steep though. I live between two mountain ranges.

My problem will mostly be with first gear. It's way too tall. I'll definitely want to gear it down or something. I still need to install my Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Hand Guards as well.

Edit: Also at the slower, more technical stuff these bikes begin to over heat and piss coolant everywhere.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 2, 2013

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

I'm in Albany, Oregon.

Edit: https://www.crfsonly.com should be in the OP, it has a decent forum.

Added to OP. I have a buddy that races a CRF450R. I dunno though, I've heard various good/bad things about 450's in the woods. Much like street(i-4 600) I'll prob stick with the middle machines the 200-300 which are light and nice and peaky vs. the heavier bikes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

JP Money posted:

Do you have hilly terrain or just flat woods? I never minded having a 250 2 stroke in the woods even. I feel a lot safer knowing the bike has the power to make it up hills and whatever else you throw at it versus an underpowered bike you don't have confidence in.

If I got another dirtbike in my eyes it's way easier to make a motocross bike work in the woods than it is to make a softly built woods bike work on jumps and stuff.

Riding my 250 4-stroke, the only time I've ever not had enough power was trying to pull 4th+ gear wheelies on fire roads. 35Hp is enough power to make it up any hill you can tackle without an extended swing arm. Torque is another matter, you may need to slip the clutch a bit to make a slow climb. Also, it works, but I had no idea how much my MX bike blows in the woods until I rode it back to back with a 450XC-W.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't want more than 35HP, I'm just saying you don't *need* more to make it up pretty much any trail.

Zool fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 3, 2013

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I imagine it'll be like back when I had a trx450r. I had the HRC cam, FCR carb and some other go fast mods. It was awesome in the dunes and on a track, but in the woods it had way more power than I could use. As lame as it sounds, on a modded 400ex I felt like a pro blasting through the (tight) woods ringing out every gear.

In my defense I rarely ride woods, but I'd like to take advantage of all the trails around here.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Depends on terrain I guess. Our woods were always tight mixed in with big slate hill climbs and jumps. It was nice to have plenty of power to mess around there. I guess if you can afford a big money KTM woods bike that's best really. I was always stuck having to manage :(

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah, it's not really a fair comparison because a 400ex is like a tractor that'll climb anything. Maybe slowly, but it will.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I recall spiffness claiming his could have used more power in open mud flats at this race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzZiMSrsbE&t=1350s

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zool posted:

Also, it works, but I had no idea how much my MX bike blows in the woods until I rode it back to back with a 450XC-W.

This. This this this this this.

I had the chance to rice a 250xc-w after riding my YZ450 all day. I was completely blown away how much easier it was to snake through the woods than my mx based big bike. Softer suspension, much lighter, narrower... Much nicer in the woods.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

This. This this this this this.

I had the chance to rice a 250xc-w after riding my YZ450 all day. I was completely blown away how much easier it was to snake through the woods than my mx based big bike. Softer suspension, much lighter, narrower... Much nicer in the woods.

I got there pretty quickly. I came from two MX bikes I was basically using as woods bikes. I loved them, because they are a raging good time, but I rarely got out to MX tracks and so I went full woods this time. The suspension is so much more trail compliant, and it's not just that it is set softer. I was hitting logs and rocks that would have really upset my MX bike and the XC-W just glided over them. Real eye opening.

Of course I've sacrificed weight savings and MX ability to have that. But I gained a overdrive 6th gear (fast enough that I chickened out and backed off way before top speed), a fan (no more boiling over on nasty single track!), an E-start (Oh how quick you become a slave to the magic button, all hail the magic button) and some basic conveniences like lights (meh, removing them) and a small gauge cluster with an ODO/Hour meter and speedo, and some sort of lap timer.

Aside from that, it's been harder to separate the other differences such as 250 v 450 (Similar power delivery, just a ton more of it, but I love 250 engines too), Japanese VS KTM components (Brembos, WP suspension, Hydraulic clutch).

I'll miss my MX bike, but for the riding I'm doing 95% of the time, the XC-W makes a lot more sense and I am so pleased by it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Going back to snowbike this weekend with a good crowd of folks. Go-proing this time. So excited.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Nice thing with the 450s is they are a bit lower maintenance.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Does anyone here have a rekluse clutch? I think that would solve a lot of problems.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Silver has one - pretty sure he still has lots of problems...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I have one on my KTM 250 XC. I tuned it for low RPM grab, but soft engagement. Works very well in the woods over rocks and roots. Of course, the bike worked well in the woods by itself.