Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un37JJXoobA

I found this in ages past and I finally found it again.

bear

also the "giant dog stepped on my sternum" noise seems to be an international standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

uptown posted:

^^You need to post more pictures of Neuman.

Ok!

uptown posted:

Does he have a dry mouth?

Yeah except when he's drinking or I'm eating something he wants or I'm giving him a treat....

So uhh... yeah actually no, no he doesn't.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I'm often confused by how little Mouse drools. My parents' English Setter drools a ton more than he does. I've really only seen him drool once or twice in the six months we've had him.

uptown
May 16, 2009
My Golden Retriever drools more than Shanti for sure. Shanti gets wet when he drinks, mostly, but if Aus is watching me eat or watching me cook, he stares mournfully at me with his sad eyes and strings of drool sticking in his chest hair.

Gah, everybody has such gorgeous dogs. I want to just smash my face into Neuman's!

Is there a consensus on when to neuter a giant breed dog? Shanti's balls have dropped, and my vet wants to neuter him right away since he's over 6 months old, but I've also read about waiting a year or two to make sure the dog develops adequately and looks "right." I really have no issue with neutering him or with waiting, he had a brief humping phase but now he's over it, so whatever.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

I have old emails from my breeder saying she didn't want me to neuter until he was a year old minimum. I thought she said it had to do something with hormones and bone structure... I don't know the details are hazy, but it wasn't a big deal to us or our vet to wait.

Neuman has never been a big humper, he's been humped by his share and only since he turned about 2 or 3 did he actually start to tell other dogs he doesn't appreciate it either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

uptown posted:

Is there a consensus on when to neuter a giant breed dog? Shanti's balls have dropped, and my vet wants to neuter him right away since he's over 6 months old, but I've also read about waiting a year or two to make sure the dog develops adequately and looks "right." I really have no issue with neutering him or with waiting, he had a brief humping phase but now he's over it, so whatever.

I wouldn't neuter a giant breed under a year because of yes, development. And when he gets neutered, make sure they support his entire body super carefully while he's unconscious. Slipped discs and all sorts of poo poo can happen when transporting unconscious giant breeds.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

uptown posted:

My Golden Retriever drools more than Shanti for sure. Shanti gets wet when he drinks,

Interesting. That's been one of the things that's made me apprehensive about a newf, because I really do not want a slobbery dog. Yes, I know the immediate response is "um, then why do you want a newf." Lots of other reasons despite the drool.

Was Shanti advertised as coming from a "dry-mouth" line or anything? If you Google dry mouth newfs, half of the articles seem to say that dry mouths are a scam by BYB, and the other half say that some lines (or at least individuals) can have relatively drier mouths, and the complaints of scams come in part from people who fetishize the AKC standard to the degree that a newf which doesn't drool heartily is an inferior newf.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
And make sure they are covered with a blanket and kept warm so that they don't get hypothermia like Sunday did. :( The enormous body mass allows heat to escape much faster.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Thanks for the responses about neutering, guys. I'm thinking of switching vets to the one that my bf's greyhound goes to, I'll call her office and see what their advice is. If they sound like they know what they're talking about, it'll be a definite switch for me. I don't particularly like or dislike the vet I go to now, she's good with my cats but she's really turned me off since I got Shantilal.

Petey, no, he wasn't advertised as having a dry mouth or anything like that. I went into getting a Newfie with great trepidation, because I am extremely disgusted by slobber touching me. A friend of mine has a pretty dry St. Bernard, and I met a really dry-mouthed St. Bernard the other day too, so I'm starting to wonder if this slobbery giant dog thing is exaggerated...

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

uptown posted:

Petey, no, he wasn't advertised as having a dry mouth or anything like that. I went into getting a Newfie with great trepidation, because I am extremely disgusted by slobber touching me. A friend of mine has a pretty dry St. Bernard, and I met a really dry-mouthed St. Bernard the other day too, so I'm starting to wonder if this slobbery giant dog thing is exaggerated...

I doubt it's exaggerated (I'm sure you looked on YouTube for newf drool and there is a lot of grossness to be found). I just think that it probably varies by dog / line, and that some "fanciers" really *love* the drool as part of the breed's standard.

I'll let you keep me posted on what happens next summer with Shanti, though.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
So what counts as a giant breed? I googled it and found wildly varying measurements. I have two dobermans. One is a runt because she was an abuse case I got from a
rescue, but the other is a AKC certified show dog that was given to me as a gift from my sister and he is a beast of a dog. The last time I had him weighed (that word looks strange) he came in at nearly a hundred pounds.

Also do any of your dogs suffer from compulsive paw licking? My rescue just licks and licks one of her paws until its almost raw. My vet is puzzled, and all he could do is give me a anti inflammatory steroid because she licks it so raw it swells up really bad.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Mr.Drf posted:

So what counts as a giant breed? I googled it and found wildly varying measurements. I have two dobermans. One is a runt because she was an abuse case I got from a
rescue, but the other is a AKC certified show dog that was given to me as a gift from my sister and he is a beast of a dog. The last time I had him weighed (that word looks strange) he came in at nearly a hundred pounds.

Also do any of your dogs suffer from compulsive paw licking? My rescue just licks and licks one of her paws until its almost raw. My vet is puzzled, and all he could do is give me a anti inflammatory steroid because she licks it so raw it swells up really bad.

Have you talked to a vet behaviorist? Since its compulsive (and if you've ruled out allergies) she might need some behavioral help to stop doing it.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Mr.Drf posted:

A hundred pound dobie is definitely a big ol' dog. :colbert: Plus, I like Dobermans, so feel free to post 'em up. :buddy:

I don't know about the foot thing; have you examined her nails really closely? Sage was doing something similar for a while, and I eventually noticed that she had a very small flake (like barely visible sliver sized) sticking out from the side of one of her nails, far back from the tip, that was rubbing the toe next to it and irritating her. I trimmed it off with some nail clippers and filed it smooth, and she stopped.

I hope you can find what's causing it. :ohdear:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog

Wiki posted:

Caucasian Shepherd Dogs are strongly-boned, and muscular and even-tempered Molossers. Plain dogs have a shorter coat and appear taller as they are more lightly built. Mountain dog types have a heavier coat and are more muscularly built. Caucasian Shepherds have no maximum height and the minimum height for females is 64 centimetres (25 in), with a desirable height between 67 and 70 centimetres (26 and 28 in). They weigh at least 45 kilograms (99 lb). The minimum height for males is 68 centimetres (27 in), with a desirable height between 72 and 75 centimetres (28 and 30 in). Males weigh 50 kilograms (110 lb) and up.[1]

They are often used to hunt bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbM9O0C8UU

good dog

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Petey posted:

good dog

That is a bear. And you will never convince me otherwise. Also, gorgeous bear. I would love to meet one (on friendly terms...)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Xmas pictures!

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Misanthrope posted:

How much do Newfies really slobber? Like are they just faucets continually running? Or more just when they're hot?

I mean I thought I'd pretty much only ever own Leos, but I absolutely loooove Newfs and maybe I'll just alternate.

Run away.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Siochain posted:

That is a bear. And you will never convince me otherwise. Also, gorgeous bear. I would love to meet one (on friendly terms...)

That is no bear, that is a dog that hunts bears. For real. :black101:

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 12, 2012

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

PiratePing posted:

That is no bear, that is a dog that hunts bears. For real. :black101:

My family comes from Maine. My great-uncle began breeding a line of dogs called "Gould Hounds" (after his name) that, I'm told, are still prized in Washington County, where they are from. They are primarily used for treeing bear. I've never seen one, but if you Google around hunting listings you can still find scattered references to them among old school guides up north. Family lore and things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Petey posted:

I doubt it's exaggerated (I'm sure you looked on YouTube for newf drool and there is a lot of grossness to be found). I just think that it probably varies by dog / line, and that some "fanciers" really *love* the drool as part of the breed's standard.

I think it very much differs by dog- Newfoundlands (and other similar breeds) are certainly more prone to drooling, but I think the severity really depends on the dog.

My parents used to have two newfs (one unfortunately passed away roughly a year ago). One will only start slobbering if there's food in the vicinity. The other drooled constantly, so much that he almost looked like he was rabid. We would have to wipe his jowls a few times every day because he would shake and get it all over the ceiling. This is not an exaggeration.

Mr.Drf posted:

My grandparents have a dog who had this issue- the vet chalked it up to food allergies. They put her on a special diet which I think more or less fixed it... but then again I'm no vet.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

My school had a "destress with dogs" day today, which is where I met Charlie, a big quiet half St Bernard half Malamute.

Good dog.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went to Dave and Busters for my birthday and won this huge stuffed giraffe, we named him Gerry and he seemed to take a liking to Gracie.

Which was fine by her because yesterday she decided to use him as a pillow after an exhausting day of unwrapping presents!

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Since he was picked up by the rescue in Southern Missouri, we're guessing this might be the first time Mouse has seen snow. Yup, he's definitely a Saint Bernard (he won't come inside, he just wants to lay on it).

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Great Dane Rescue Stuff Update!

I am happy to report that both Emma and Chaos have been adopted ! Emma got picked about a month ago and Chaos went out just this week. We were this close |--| to adopting Chaos ourselves, but I guess my mom waited a smidge too long.

On the puppy rescue front, two pups have been adopted and a third is slated to go out today. My mom is playing taxi today and showing the last two pups to the adopter, who will then pick one. So I got a 9 week old Dane pup dumped on my head this morning:

And last but not least (or unexpected I guess ?), the rescue group was informed today that the BYB morons we got this batch from have produced another batch :wtc: :cripes: . 8 pups born 3 weeks ago, and apparently half of them are a solid snow white. I don't know much about Dane genetics but I am being told that color is "bad". So stay tuned, maybe I'll get to take another car trip in the near future ! :pseudo:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Snow white can (usually) mean double merle which means all sorts of fun potential with health problems, specifically blindness/deafness being a huge one. It's why you don't breed merles.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Way too much cute in the last few photos posted here. I would like nothing more than to give a big hug to a Dane right now. I'll have to settle for Shantilal, I guess. Life is pretty rough, hah.

Here's a few pics from the last few weeks. He's almost 8 months old now. Time is just flying by.

Kisses! Excuse the outfit, I was about to work out.

Aussie looks so tiny now... But they're as inseparable as ever.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/dogs-that-dont-want-to-grow-up-6ygq

Here's a photo set of giant puppies who don't realize they're quite so....giant. :3:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Shebrew posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/dogs-that-dont-want-to-grow-up-6ygq

Here's a photo set of giant puppies who don't realize they're quite so....giant. :3:

#29 *very* nearly got a paw in the nuts. He was bracing for it, haha. Giant puppies :3:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

uptown posted:

Way too much cute in the last few photos posted here. I would like nothing more than to give a big hug to a Dane right now. I'll have to settle for Shantilal, I guess. Life is pretty rough, hah.

Here's a few pics from the last few weeks. He's almost 8 months old now. Time is just flying by.

These are always my favorite.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Thanks :3: I'm currently sitting here listening to Shantilal snore his head off... If I had a boyfriend or husband who snored like this, I'd suffocate him, but since it's my baby, it sure is cute.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

My friends and I have all rented a cottage in Wales for New Year and we took their 5 1/2 stone lab to the beach where a 6 month old Bernese mountain puppy took a shine to us :3: he was lovely but bigger than the Labrador already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

uptown posted:

Is he full-grown yet? He looks like he's still an oversized puppy rather than an adult dog.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Not full-grown, Newfies generally keep growing (at a slower rate) until about 2 years old.

uptown - how heavy/tall is he?

uptown
May 16, 2009
Nah, he's not full-grown yet. He's definitely in such a weird, awkward stage of maturation, hey? His face is getting more and more Newfie by the day, but his body is teeny tiny compared to what it will be.

We haven't weighed him on a scale recently, because my scale only goes up to 300lbs and my boyfriend+Shanti are more than 300lbs... Just by estimating, though, Troy thinks Shanti weighs about 120-130 right now. I'm not sure how tall he is - How would I measure height, anyways? When he jumps up, or when he's standing?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Usually you measure from the ground to the top of their shoulder.

Seeing Shanti pictures makes me want a Newf so bad. I love big durfy cuddly slobber dogs.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

uptown posted:

He's definitely in such a weird, awkward stage of maturation, hey?

Canadian spotted. I'll forgive you as long as you keep posting Shanti pictures.

uptown
May 16, 2009
:monocle: How could you tell? Is "maturation" a Canadianism?

I will soon! He's having a few days' sleepover at my mom's place - I'm house sitting for my boyfriend and his dog isn't very nice to other dogs, especially rambunctious puppies. He'll be back with me on Saturday, just in time to get loved on. We're having the pre-party to a friend's going-away at my house, and people go crazy for Shanti, even those who aren't "dog people."

A picture to tide you over:

E: Is it my slightly less Canadian "hey" rather than "eh"?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

uptown posted:

:monocle: How could you tell? Is "maturation" a Canadianism?

I will soon! He's having a few days' sleepover at my mom's place - I'm house sitting for my boyfriend and his dog isn't very nice to other dogs, especially rambunctious puppies. He'll be back with me on Saturday, just in time to get loved on. We're having the pre-party to a friend's going-away at my house, and people go crazy for Shanti, even those who aren't "dog people."

E: Is it my slightly less Canadian "hey" rather than "eh"?

I'm Canadian and proud of it, eh? :P But seriously, I love Shanti. Too bad the g/f doesn't like big dogs :( I would love a newf, they are some of the best dogs.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

uptown posted:

Wanna tug on those jowls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

uptown posted:

Good uptown.

Good Shanti.