Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

insanityv2 posted:

It's the "do really well" part that rules it out as a back-up plan, which so many 0L's view it as.

Law school: Turning the intellectual insecurity of Millenials into cold hard $$$.

Law school: A cure for narcissism that's 90% effective but costs $150,000 and takes 3 years to administer.

No I agree, I was just responding to the "it makes TTT grads think they can get government jobs" thing, although actually I imagine this stuff is really state-specific anyway, I mean my government actually employs plenty of people from Cooley, but they were all the king/queen of Cooley that year (EIC of law review + Moot Court + amazing grades) so that is nothing to really bank on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

J Miracle posted:

they were all the king/queen of Cooley that year

make way! make way for the baron of thunder-ten-tronckh!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Tally up another for Dunning-Kruger.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
So I looked this up and apparently the ABA tends to deny accreditation to anybody admitting anyone scoring below a 140.

If you know your TTT has 139's you know what to do~

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
This 0L is in need of assistance!

I was considering registering to ask him what law school he is going to. Also someone else posts in there mentioning how they are in a similar predicament with a link to another thread. Apparently the other poster will be attending med school to become a dentist (I stopped reading there).

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 28, 2012

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I was considering registering to ask him what law school he is going to. Also someone else posts in there mentioning how they are in a similar predicament with a link to another thread. Apparently the other poster will be attending med school to become a dentist (I stopped reading there).

Oh man, WatchUSeek is actually great. That forum is really helpful. They'll steer him in the right direction like they have in the past with me.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarkov Cortez posted:

hahahahahahahahahhaha loving jesus

edit: Casio F91-W

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Idk maybe his parents are just rich.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/15m6tu/is_it_really_that_bleak_out_there/

Its fine bro.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 29, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Perhaps I don't spend enough time with liberal arts undergrad students, but I was stunned to silence the other day when someone literally said in real life, "I got accepted to (some unheard of TTT)! I'm going to do sports law!" and then everyone patted that person on the back and congratulated them. The wall between internet and reality came crumbling down.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

quote:

This is your fault man. I know that's harsh to hear, but you also know it's true. It is possible to get a job out of any law school with any grades. It's 10000% about networking and putting yourself out there despite what the angries say.

-Attended NYLS. Has a good job. Had average grades at best.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ouch, I didn't realise that the quality of NY law school grads was so low.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Now that I've been practicing for about five months as a licensed attorney, I'm shocked by the billable hour. I know this is a DOG BITES MAN headline but the incentives are perverse. I promised myself I would never fudge my hours before I started and actually billing 7.5 per day is extremely hard.

Be forewarned, law students.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So what's the book on SLS? I hear a lot about YLS and HLS but not so much about Stanford.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Petey posted:

So what's the book on SLS? I hear a lot about YLS and HLS but not so much about Stanford.

On the west coast, basically see Yale or slightly lower. Certainly better than Harvard.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

nm posted:

On the west coast, basically see Yale or slightly lower. Certainly better than Harvard.

Better how?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Alumni? Judges? Reputation?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Harvard is 2 points better scrabble score than Stanford, so that kinda ends that discussion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Petey posted:

Better how?

Getting the job you want. Also seen as more academic than Harvard. Probably sends more alums per capita to clerkships and judgeships in the 9th too.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

woozle wuzzle posted:

Harvard is 2 points better scrabble score than Stanford, so that kinda ends that discussion.

Did you look that up or did you just know it off the top of your head?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Walamor posted:

Did you look that up or did you just know it off the top of your head?

I looked :( But it's obvious that HRV is better than STNF.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
apply to law school everyone, and specialize in international law

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/law-admissions-lowdown/2012/12/31/3-law-school-trends-to-watch-for-in-2013

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Conflict of laws is really complex and interesting, constantly changing, and is more important to know now than ever before.

Unfortunately, it's got very little to do with what the people who want to practice "international law" think they're getting in to. At least that's the impression I get from everyone I've ever met who wants to practice international law.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I just want a dynamic, exciting career where I think and argue on my feet and I get to have meetings while walking briskly in office corridors. Frankly, I just think the camera shots for walking corridor briefing at The Hague are the best fit for me, and that's why I want to do international law.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HolySwissCheese posted:

I just want a dynamic, exciting career where I think and argue on my feet and I get to have meetings while walking briskly in office corridors.

Family law. No joke.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

burf posted:

Conflict of laws is really complex and interesting, constantly changing, and is more important to know now than ever before.

I cannot express how wrong one of the above words has been used.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Is this totally bullshit? Studying international business law and using my language degree to help employability was my original plan. Reading this thread has helped sober me to the idea, though. What I'm wondering is, if I do get into a T1 law school and have genuine interest, is it still a bad idea? I'm fairly confident that I can at least get into Ohio State's Moritz School of Law, but they don't seem to focus on international business much and I'm hoping to do better.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Nickoten posted:

Is this totally bullshit? Studying international business law and using my language degree to help employability was my original plan. Reading this thread has helped sober me to the idea, though. What I'm wondering is, if I do get into a T1 law school and have genuine interest, is it still a bad idea? I'm fairly confident that I can at least get into Ohio State's Moritz School of Law, but they don't seem to focus on international business much and I'm hoping to do better.

Have you considered pro bono international human public interest business rights law?

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."

Nickoten posted:

He's being sarcastic. And specialty rankings generally mean nothing. You don't see T-14 schools brag about their specific rankings, do you?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Paramour posted:

He's being sarcastic. And specialty rankings generally mean nothing. You don't see T-14 schools brag about their specific rankings, do you?

I figured, I was just wondering if articles like that tend to be untrustworthy. I don't know the ranking for international law for Moritz, I was just told it doesn't have a big focus on that. Still doing my research, basically, and it seems the more I do the bleaker it seems. :smith:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Nickoten posted:

I figured, I was just wondering if articles like that tend to be untrustworthy. I don't know the ranking for international law for Moritz, I was just told it doesn't have a big focus on that. Still doing my research, basically, and it seems the more I do the bleaker it seems. :smith:
I don't want to sound elitist (but I know it's going to come off that way and I apologize), but going to law school just isn't worth it if you're not going to a T14. Even then, it's a huge gamble, especially if there's something specific that you're hoping to do going in.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Unless it's Spanish and you're working in Cali/Texas/Florida, or Chinese and you go to one of the seven or eight schools that Commonwealth countries accept so that you can go to Hong Kong or Singapore, I wouldn't bother.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Nickoten posted:

Is this totally bullshit? is it still a bad idea?

Yes. Yes.

The thing that most undergrads don't understand is that all those "International (Business, Economics, Studies, etc.)" majors sound sexy because they have "international" in the title, but they are probably less likely to help someone get an international job because to employers they sound like a poor substitute to serious, real majors such as business, economics, etc. What employers want is a solid businessman (or at least theoretically, with a solid degree, I guess) or economist. Likewise, if you want to become an international lawyer, get a JD from a top school and learn a foreign language or something. All the U.S. lawyers I know working internationally or who do actual International Law (treaties, etc.) started as lawyers with solid degrees who chose to work internationally because they had that option due to the prestige of their law schools. Some, but not all, also had a foreign language or experience living overseas, which demonstrated real interest in foreign work (as opposed to simply picking an "international" major because it sounded cool). Schools use specialty rankings as a fig leaf to cover their blemished nakedness in other areas.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

That was very informative, thanks. I have a Japanese degree and did study abroad/English teaching in Japan for a year so I was hoping that studying business law in a T14 or close would be the right path. Right now I'm not really sure if law school is right for me; it depends entirely on whether I can get into a prestigious school. With a 3.7~/163 I think my odds are low, though. Does being a minority help at all?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nickoten posted:

That was very informative, thanks. I have a Japanese degree and did study abroad/English teaching in Japan for a year so I was hoping that studying business law in a T14 or close would be the right path. Right now I'm not really sure if law school is right for me; it depends entirely on whether I can get into a prestigious school. With a 3.7~/163 I think my odds are low, though. Does being a minority help at all?

What kind of minority? Probably yes, as long as it's an underrepresented (read: no asians) minority.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
And even as a Hispanic, it's usually more specifically Mexican and Puerto-Rican.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Probably yes, as long as it's an underrepresented (read: no asians) minority.

Well poo poo. I'm racially Indian, but culturally I'm West Indian (Trinidadian). I guess it at least partially comes down to how I frame it in my diversity statement. Thanks though, it's nice to get some advice that isn't overly optimistic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nickoten posted:

Well poo poo. I'm racially Indian, but culturally I'm West Indian. I guess it at least partially comes down to how I frame it in my diversity statement. Thanks though, it's nice to get some advice that isn't overly optimistic.

I suspect that's under-represented.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I suspect that's under-represented.

South asian indians are not usually considered URMs for statistical purposes. A school might be willing to weigh the culture of West Indian as a bonus but it seems unlikely to be a full "URM bump" because it won't help the school's diversity numbers internally or externally.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Nickoten posted:

Well poo poo. I'm racially Indian, but culturally I'm West Indian (Trinidadian). I guess it at least partially comes down to how I frame it in my diversity statement. Thanks though, it's nice to get some advice that isn't overly optimistic.

And if you want even more bad news, Japanese is not one of the better languages to have for international law. Can't get barred in Japan because you're gaijin, very few firms have offices there. And those that do are the mega-firms that will usually only hire T-10 kids with a lot of business experience, since it's mostly M&A work because you can't do much legal.

There may be a handful of west coast firms that do some work with Japanese companies, but I'm not sure that the language proficiency is as big of a feather in your cap as it may have been 10-20 years ago, as they tend to outsource translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Nickoten posted:

That's a decent GPA. If you like, actually want to be a lawyer and don't have any illusions about a nonexistant field you'd like to go into, you might be able to swing a t14 if you raise that lsat like... 6ish points?