Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You know, it must be pretty disheartening to be foiled and defeated 100 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's something amazing about Cordelia freaking out when she learned about what just happened. Immediately followed by the Nightmare Knight just shrugging it off because it's Splashmaster.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
That is to say: hey, an update!

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-290/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
See, this is the typical problem with any "summon the all-powerful big bad to become the master of the world" scheme -- if you aren't more powerful than it, it will not want to share; and if you were more powerful, you wouldn't have needed to summon it in the first place.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
291!

I love how understated and composed the Nightmare Knight is. It's a wonderful device for increasing the menace.

Edit: Also, the use of color is, as usual, wonderful.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I wish I could change the lighting whenever I spoke with a certain tone.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I can't wait to see Cordelia's reaction when she finds out she's in charge of something that's already failed 99 times.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zero_Tactility posted:

291!

I love how understated and composed the Nightmare Knight is. It's a wonderful device for increasing the menace.

Edit: Also, the use of color is, as usual, wonderful.
I kinda get the feeling he wishes he could somehow try and take over something in some other universe instead.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If Nightmare Knight and Cucumber both share the curse of genre-saviness, maybe Nightmare Knight will match Cucumber's attempts to break the cycle but in his own favor. :allears: After all, it took 99 heroes to stop him 99 times so the buggers keep showing up with a pretty lazy Oracle somehow!

As a super-dedicated fan of Paper Mario games I keep imagining stuff like the giant More-Invincible Machine Bowser used at the end of the first Paper Mario and I'm stupidly excited to see more Cucumber Quest "boss fights." :3:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-292/

Does she just sleep on that broom or what?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe she was born with it and never learned to walk. I'm gonna re-read the comic and see if there's any scene where she just walks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Maybe she was born with it and never learned to walk. I'm gonna re-read the comic and see if there's any scene where she just walks.

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-121/

Yup.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The final three panels of the previous page (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-120/) are deadly funny. Looking further back, the whole sequence from (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-117/) on is amazing...

"Tell me I'm the best! How I'm your favorite henchman ever!!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wonder what part of the story Peridot's going to end up joining the party? :3:

I'm sorry, I simply can't take her seriously as a villain.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
This is the beginning of my favorite Peridot scene, so far at least. One of Almond's too. Peridot is probably my favorite side character.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, Peridot is awesome and definitely joining the crew somehow. Maybe she's a secret princess? :3: I wish there was a bunny-version of :3:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
This may be the cutest page yet. :3:

Also, I literally just noticed the portrait of herself Cordelia had installed over her throne. Classy!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-293/

Nothing is more important than "world domination stuff".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm extremely amused that Cordelia doesn't flip her poo poo at Peridot backtalking her, but simply says "This is important" and Peridot just goes "Oh, okay, sure." In most media, this would be a bog-standard "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME NOW GET TO THE MELODY KINGDOM BEFORE I DESTROY YOU!", but Gigi DG knows her poo poo. (His poo poo? I've never been sure.)

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

rotinaj posted:

...but Gigi DG knows her poo poo. (His poo poo? I've never been sure.)
You were right the first time. Gigi DG is a woman.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wonder what Peridot was doing that was important to her. From the specific time during the week, my guess is that she's taking a page out of Almond's book and studying up on some Punisher Pumice (or other educational TV show).

Nashvillain
Jan 29, 2009

B.F. SKINNER GIVE ME STRENGTH

Regy Rusty posted:

I wonder what Peridot was doing that was important to her. From the specific time during the week, my guess is that she's taking a page out of Almond's book and studying up on some Punisher Pumice (or other educational TV show).

Very specific time on a very specific night? You bet it's a TV show. Punisher Pumice is a good guess. It would be fitting for the Almond / Peridot dynamic for them to have a common interest, especially if Peridot is to join the party later. I don't care if the "bad guy becomes good guy" cliche is overdone; I just hope Peridot sticks around and isn't simply defeated and forgotten like Splashmaster (not that he's really forgotten, but at least I don't see him showing up again soon).

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Peridot is from the Crystal Kingdom, which is where Punisher Pumice lives, so there's that. (I doubt I needed to point that out to anyone, what with their names)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

nerdbot posted:

Peridot is from the Crystal Kingdom, which is where Punisher Pumice lives, so there's that. (I doubt I needed to point that out to anyone, what with their names)

Oh, nice catch! No, I'd totally missed that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can tell which kingdom a character is from by their ears. So far only the Melody and Sky kingdoms have had zero representatives.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

nerdbot posted:

...God dammit.

I wonder if that figure in panel four is just a statue, or if it's something/someone else.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Regy Rusty posted:

You can tell which kingdom a character is from by their ears. So far only the Melody and Sky kingdoms have had zero representatives.

Waaaaaait a minute. Everyone in the world is bunnies... So where the heck is Bacon from!? :confused:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

Waaaaaait a minute. Everyone in the world is bunnies... So where the heck is Bacon from!? :confused:

We don't talk about Bacon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Actually I think we've seen all the ear types if you follow her Tumblr.

Doughnut Kingdom : Normal Ears (3/4 of the main characters)
Ripple Kingdom : Curved Ears (Nautilus)
Crystal Kingdom : Angular Ears (Peridot)
Space Kingdom : Space symbols on the inner surface (Cosmo the inventor)
Flower Kingdom : Tufted Ears (Saturday and Brambleby)
Melody Kingdom : Folded Ears (This dude)
Sky Kingdom : Curled Ears (Princess Sunshine)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Clearly Peridot mentioning she's doing something important is more important than we think it is, because it's in This Is Important Red Zelda Text!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

Actually I think we've seen all the ear types if you follow her Tumblr.

Doughnut Kingdom : Normal Ears (3/4 of the main characters)
Ripple Kingdom : Curved Ears (Nautilus)
Crystal Kingdom : Angular Ears (Peridot)
Space Kingdom : Space symbols on the inner surface (Cosmo the inventor)
Flower Kingdom : Tufted Ears (Saturday and Brambleby)
Melody Kingdom : Folded Ears (This dude)
Sky Kingdom : Curled Ears (Princess Sunshine)

Her tumblr and the extras in the book are the reason we even know about the ear types in the first place. In comic we haven't seen the last two.

Also there's additionally "Weird Cat Ears" like Cordelia which signify coming from another dimension or something. :iiam:

Oh, and Bacon is a weirdo but he's still got rabbit ears - http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-22/

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 3, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Her tumblr and the extras in the book are the reason we even know about the ear types in the first place. In comic we haven't seen the last two.

Also there's additionally "Weird Cat Ears" like Cordelia which signify coming from another dimension or something. :iiam:

Oh, and Bacon is a weirdo but he's still got rabbit ears - http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-22/
Another planet, probably. Didn't the guy from space have cat ears too?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Zereth posted:

Another planet, probably. Didn't the guy from space have cat ears too?

Yep. Note also Cordelia's comments re "This wretched planet", etc, etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Look carefully at today's fourth panel. Somebody's lying in wait.

For JUSTICE.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Looks like we're going back to two updates per week, Sunday and Wednesday. Aw man. :(

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Regy Rusty posted:

Do the ears for the transition to the Melody kingdom count? Because that's in comic, though not a specific character.

Nashvillain
Jan 29, 2009

B.F. SKINNER GIVE ME STRENGTH

Really Pants posted:

Look carefully at today's fourth panel. Somebody's lying in wait.

For JUSTICE.

Nah those things have been in the background for a while

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

SnarkyProfessor posted:

Nah those things have been in the background for a while

Looking at them here I dare say they're busts of Cordelia. She's one crazy cat!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
For some reason I thought Cordelia was a bat person of some sort. Her outfit and red liquid she drinks screams bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

KungFu Grip posted:

For some reason I thought Cordelia was a bat person of some sort. Her outfit and red liquid she drinks screams bat.

A Cucumber Quest bat would totally be a fruit bat, but she could be drinking cranberry juice so I support this theory.