Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

First, it's worth getting Gods and Kings, especially if it's as cheap as it is with all the sales going on. After you play a game or two, it'll click and make a lot more sense. The Civ 5 megathread is very helpful. Here's from the OP:

quote:

I've played the tutorial and while I understand how to play, I don't understand how to win. Are there any guides or tutorials?
I want to collect a couple of good Tutorials here for people. In general the reccomended advice is to look up youtube videos of people playing on Diety. Whatever works on Diety will work even better on lower difficulties.
  • Tabarnak's Tradition 4 Cities Opening - An important key to victory is getting a good start, and that means spreading out early, which can be tricky. This guide gives a really solid opening that sets you up to play any victory you want. However, don't just copy the steps, understand why the author does what he does, because adapting to a different map is an important skill for Civilization.

Other good tips:
  • Expand Early - It can be hard to do so early on because you have so few hammers but more cities mean you're putting out more units at a time. While you shouldn't go overboard, settling early means cities have more time to grow and you get better picks of the land.
  • The AI will pay you for stuff - It's tempting to just trade resources for resources but that's not always neccesary. Assume the AI doesn't hate you and has the cash, they will pony up 240 gold for a luxury resource or 50 gold for open borders. In the early game this is huge, so take advantage of it! Even if it's your last luxury resource, do it if the happiness hit wont kill you. Buying up some settlers can be a big help.
  • Settling on top of a luxury resource grants that resource - Assuming you have the tech, settling on top of some silver will get you access to that silver. This is good because it saves you several turns trying to harvest it, so you can sell it to the AI as quickly as possible.
  • Keep a standing army - It's easy to forget this. Even if youre going for a peaceful game, keep a standing army. The AI can smell weakness. On the defensive you have the advantage so you can win with a much smaller army than they would need to take your city. Keep your army stationed to ward off any wanna be conquerors.
  • Stay focused yet flexible - Finally, keep in mind your victory early on. What do you need to do to win? Civilization is a balancing act, in a science victory you need a lot of science sure, and you should keep that as your priority, but you also need to balance that with a solid army and a good economy. Try not to spread yourself too thin by building every building in every city. Focus on what you absolutely need to have right now. And remember to adapt, if wars on the horizon, there's no shame in slowing your research a bit in order to crank out a small militia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just got Miner Wars 2081 as a gift, and don't know really anything about it except the name.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KoB posted:

4: Choose whoever you want but Garrus with the ability to unlock doors/etc maxed out helps.

Garrus or any engineer is good for that, yeah--unless you picked a class with engineering skills (engineer, infiltrator, or sentinel) then you'll want to take at least one engineery party member with you (garrus, tali, or kaidan) unless you don't care about not being able to unlock doors and chests. For the most part you'll just miss out on loot, which in my opinion doesn't matter much; I can't remember if there are any particularly interesting things you'll miss by not being able to unlock doors. The skills you'll want to max are decryption and electronics, I think--just read the skill descriptions, they'll tell you how far they need to be leveled to unlock the hardest doors.

Also, echoing the people who said to keep Wrex alive; he's an interesting character, and the default stories of ME2 and ME3 have him dead, so if you want to see him, you'll need to keep him alive in ME1 and play with that character. Here's some spoilery information about that: His life or death mission is on Virmire; make sure that you have a high charm/intimidate score before starting it (the internet says you need a score of 8), or, you can do his side mission where you reclaim his family armor. Talk to him on the Normandy between missions and eventually he'll start it off for you.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

LooKMaN posted:

Any tips or information for Civilization V? This is my first time playing any of the 4X games and it's a bit overwhelming.

Unless you have a ridiculously expensive PC, turn off Terrain Shadows in the options menu. I'm not sure exactly why it's so intensive, but I have a 560ti and can happily run the game at 1080p, 60fps with 4x MSAA and everything on High except for that.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

LooKMaN posted:

Any tips or information for Civilization V? This is my first time playing any of the 4X games and it's a bit overwhelming.

Keep playing. A lot of the stuff you can get through osmosis and most of the fun is experimenting with trying to win in different ways be it war, culture, science, etc. or just exploring the land. And, uh, have all the tutorial messages enabled.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bought the GTAIV Franchise on Steam. Any particular mods I should install to make the game more enjoyable? Should I play the games in any particular order?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Bought the GTAIV Franchise on Steam. Any particular mods I should install to make the game more enjoyable? Should I play the games in any particular order?
The first two GTA games are almost completely different from 3 onward. Of the 3-likes, the best is either Vice City or San Andreas, depending on who you ask. They're all pretty much stand-alone stories, so don't feel obligated to play through them in a specific order. (And skip GTA3, everything it does, Vice City does better.)

Vice City is more straight-forward, but kind of shows its age, while San Andreas is a bit more complicated, gets much more ridiculous (jetpack ridiculous), and has a loving huge map.

I can't say anything about GTA IV, but from what I've heard, you're either going to love it for being very different from the 3-likes (in a good way), or hate it for being very different from the 3-likes (in a bad way). If you don't like it, give the other games a try. (And vice-versa, I suppose.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 30, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Play the original first. You can play The Lost and the Damned at any time. But the important thing is to play the Ballad of Gay Tony last because it is easily the best. Play it when you get sick of playing GTA 4.

Also after a while, I just started taking taxis everywhere in the base game. Driving was fun, but after a while I got sick of it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I just started fiddling around with NBA 2K13 on the PC, after not having played a basketball game in a few years. My primary interest is the create a player and MyCareer modes. Anyone have any tips on the game over all, and in particular how not to have my guy be such a benchwarmer?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kneel Before Zog posted:

If you have a PC with top-end specs, get the iCEnhancer mod. It will do wonderful things to the graphics. Wonderful shiny things.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

In GTA IV, ignore the pigeons. There are something like 200 of them and all you get for killing them all is an attack helicopter. Don't waste a minute of your time killing them. If you do, you will want to cut yourself afterward once you realize how much of your life is gone forever. It isn't even like the packages in the other games, which you should find as many as you can as soon as you can, where you get weapons at your safe houses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Colon V posted:

Any tips on Don't Starve? I wanna figure out most of the game on my own, but if there's something incredibly counter-intuitive or anything of that sort, I'd like a heads-up on that at least. Vague advice that doesn't actually give anything away works, too.

Also, I just got They Bleed Pixels, too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Piecing Legend of Grimrock together by myself is proving quite fun - even if I've gotten lost and stuck on the second loving floor :v: - but I'm wondering if there's any class skills or the like that will just be a liability if I invest in them. I don't want to play for six hundred hours and then discover there are no daggers, or whatever.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

In GTA IV, ignore the pigeons. There are something like 200 of them and all you get for killing them all is an attack helicopter. Don't waste a minute of your time killing them. If you do, you will want to cut yourself afterward once you realize how much of your life is gone forever. It isn't even like the packages in the other games, which you should find as many as you can as soon as you can, where you get weapons at your safe houses.

Don't forget the act of killing a pigeon inevitably causes nearby pedestrians who hear the gunfire to freak out and call the police, so that nearly every pigeon collected results in a police chase.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Piecing Legend of Grimrock together by myself is proving quite fun - even if I've gotten lost and stuck on the second loving floor :v: - but I'm wondering if there's any class skills or the like that will just be a liability if I invest in them. I don't want to play for six hundred hours and then discover there are no daggers, or whatever.

Swords are as you might expect the most common weapons, and also have the most powerful weapon in the game.

Unarmed can be surprisingly viable if you go deep into the tree.

Earth magic is kind of crap, pick ice/fire/air and stick with that school. Don't bother going down multiple paths with magic. To be honest, pick ice it's by far the best.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

One thing that might trip you up, if you make a throwing character, you'd think you should up Dex.

You'd be wrong. Because while bows use Dex for damage, thrown weapons use strength, and have 100% accuracy. This means that the best throwing-rogue in the game is a minotaur.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That being said, you can reuse projectile weapon ammo.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Taerkar posted:

That being said, you can reuse projectile weapon ammo.

You can pick up and reuse thrown weapons too.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

poptart_fairy posted:

Legend of Grimrock
-If you don't already, remember you should move while fighting most things. A 2x2 room allows you to kite and poke even the biggest pain in the rear end until it dies.

-You might as well spoil yourself on the rune combinations for magic. You'll still have to invest enough skill points to use them anyway.

-If you REALLY want to, you can carry one extra item on your cursor and it won't add to anyone's inventory weight. So you can make that one item a big wooden chest full of stuff. Though the simple fact is you should get into the mindset of "if I don't need it, toss it."

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone know how the BL2 DLC scales? I've heard in the first playthrough it maxes out at level 30, is that true? I'm playing a co-op game and we're level 29 so we're wondering if it'd be best to go and do the DLC straight away which might level us past the main quest and make the remainder of that boring, finish the main story and then do the DLC or play the DLC in playthrough 2?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yo, I ordered Persona 3 Portable off Amazon because I fuckin' loved Persona 4/Arena, and because I feel bad about neglecting my old PSP.

The gently caress should I know about this game in advance?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Anyone know how the BL2 DLC scales? I've heard in the first playthrough it maxes out at level 30, is that true?

That, at least, is not true. I played the pirate DLC at level 36 during my first play through, and all the enemies were scaled to my level.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
I tried out Assassin's Creed 3 tonight (on the 360), specifically to play the co-op mode (Wolfpack) with a friend. I haven't played the AC3 SP (or any AC game since AC1). Anyone have any tips specifically for the Wolfpack mode? Because after failing miserably at three different matches, we had no idea what the hell was going on, and couldn't figure out how to find, let alone kill, the first target, or how to make a match last longer than a miserable 60 seconds. Any ideas?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should pick up the AC2 series and go through those. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Alouicious posted:

Yo, I ordered Persona 3 Portable off Amazon because I fuckin' loved Persona 4/Arena, and because I feel bad about neglecting my old PSP.

Have you played Persona 3 before (or any SMT for that matter, but I assume so since you played P4A)?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

McCoy Pauley posted:

I tried out Assassin's Creed 3 tonight (on the 360), specifically to play the co-op mode (Wolfpack) with a friend. I haven't played the AC3 SP (or any AC game since AC1). Anyone have any tips specifically for the Wolfpack mode? Because after failing miserably at three different matches, we had no idea what the hell was going on, and couldn't figure out how to find, let alone kill, the first target, or how to make a match last longer than a miserable 60 seconds. Any ideas?
I'm guessing you haven't played much AC multiplayer, because wolfpack mode is a pretty natural extension. For the very basics, you might want to go through the multiplayer tutorials. The most important thing to remember is that you get points based on the quality of your kills, not quantity. You only get 100 points for a basic kill, but when you start tacking on bonuses like you can easily get kill scores of 800 and higher. Wolfpack is divided into rounds, and you advance rounds and add more time by hitting certain point thresholds. You have to clear 25 rounds to win.

Some of the easier point bonuses to get in Wolfpack include incognito (wait for the bar under the target's portrait to fill when you're in their line of sight), hidden (kill while inside a crowd), and focus (when you're in killing range, wait a second for the circle around the button to fill in). You can also get multi-kill bonuses by killing targets within a few seconds of your partner. There are also random bonus objectives displayed that can give you some extra points, but it's best to ignore them if they would take too much time to execute or would require you to sacrifice larger point bonuses.

To find your targets, just use the little compass at the bottom of the screen. It will always point in the direction of your next target, and will get bigger as you get closer. When it gets bright blue, that means you're in your target's line of sight. You want to stop running when in your target's line of sight (ideally just before you enter it) so that you don't get spotted and you can earn an incognito bonus. Targets should be pretty easy to pick out in Wolfpack, as they'll be the only ones carrying weapons. If you have multiple targets (multiple small portraits in the upper-right), you can press up or down on the D-pad to cycle between them.

Most of this stuff applies to both Wolfpack and regular multiplayer. Just remember the AI is much less reactive than human players, and it's easier to get high quality kills on them. If you're methodical, Wolfpack games can be really easy to win solo or with a good team (at least on standard, I haven't tried any harder difficulties myself). Playing with random people is almost impossible, however, as they'll usually just run around like idiots charging targets and getting 100 point kills. Some of the later rounds start throwing out really tricky targets that are much better at detecting you and can use tricks like disguises, but you should be able to easily get 700 or 800 point kills on all of the early round targets to build up time for later rounds.

flatluigi posted:

You should pick up the AC2 series and go through those. :v:
This is definitely going to be true if you want to play the singleplayer. Doesn't add much to the multiplayer aspect, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Artix74 posted:

Have you played Persona 3 before (or any SMT for that matter, but I assume so since you played P4A)?

Haven't played P3 or FES, and didn't finish 4 because Golden came out and my brain can't handle not playing a game in its optimal version. I'm pretty sure I understand the basics of how the combat and stuff works though.

(To clarify, in my original post I meant to say that I loved both Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena, hence the slash between 4 and Arena :v:)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the Grimrock tips guys, I'm having a much smoother time of it now. Running with an armor/sword fighter, evasion/dagger rogue, archery rogue and an ice mage. I'll report back if they get horribly murdered too often. :v:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Hannibal Smith posted:

. . . AC3 Wolfpack knowledge. . .

This is very helpful, thanks.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alouicious posted:

If you always make sure to get as far as you can in Tartarus before each full moon, you'll basically always be strong enough you won't screw yourself over. And it's a good idea to pick a party/persona combination that lets you use every element and the three different types of physical attacks.

If you got a decent grasp of the combat in Persona 4, and you're getting the PSP version of Persona 3, you should be fine. The biggest difference is that your party members get upgraded personas in the main story, instead of in their social links, so don't worry about prioritizing them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

Thanks for the Grimrock tips guys, I'm having a much smoother time of it now. Running with an armor/sword fighter, evasion/dagger rogue, archery rogue and an ice mage. I'll report back if they get horribly murdered too often. :v:
I'm running two fighters, a throwing minotaur, and an ice mage. Everything was going fine until I backed into a wall by accident and got eaten by spiders. :ohdear: But echoing the thanks for the tips!

Of note regarding P3P - the game is far, far easier than vanilla P3/FES because of two factors: Direct Command and Skill Cards. Skill Cards especially shatter the game later on; it's really easy to just slot Growth 3 on everyone and get even more high-end skills. There's a place at the shrine where you can get a skill card copied (randomly selected, just keep retrying until you get the one you want) so don't feel like you have to hoard them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Twitch posted:

If you always make sure to get as far as you can in Tartarus before each full moon, you'll basically always be strong enough you won't screw yourself over. And it's a good idea to pick a party/persona combination that lets you use every element and the three different types of physical attacks.

If you got a decent grasp of the combat in Persona 4, and you're getting the PSP version of Persona 3, you should be fine. The biggest difference is that your party members get upgraded personas in the main story, instead of in their social links, so don't worry about prioritizing them.

How is going into Tartarus set up, is it like going into the TV World in 4? Does it burn a day you could have spent developing Social Links, is basically what I'm asking.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Alouicious posted:

How is going into Tartarus set up, is it like going into the TV World in 4? Does it burn a day you could have spent developing Social Links, is basically what I'm asking.
You go in at night, so you can do a link during the afternoon and then go at night.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

theshim posted:

You go in at night, so you can do a link during the afternoon and then go at night.

Oh sweet, thanks.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
I'm about to embark on The Longest Journey. I'm also completely new to point-and-click adventure games. What should I know?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Idiootti posted:

I'm about to embark on The Longest Journey. I'm also completely new to point-and-click adventure games. What should I know?

Before you do anything with the rubber ducky (other than picking it up), save. There's possibly a bug that will make that puzzle, and it is one of like two terrible puzzles in the game, unsolvable. Other than that, the game's puzzles are challenging but fair and the game itself is pretty straightforward, but I'm used to "adventure game logic" so you may feel different. It's a great game, though, so enjoy it!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Idiootti posted:

I always praise TLJ for allowing you to skip absolutely everything - not just cutscenes or dialog, but EVERYTHING - and you may as well take advantage of that. Not dialogs, since those are generally good, but just skip all the walking around, allowing you to teleport all over the place to save some time.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just bought Knights of the Old Republic 2 off of Steam, is there any advice for this game besides obviously installing the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grand Theft Auto IV

If you just want to play around and kill stuff without answering your phone, put the damned thing into Sleep Mode. This "pauses" your companions, but you can't do missions either. It's essentially Free Roam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

kthegreat posted:

I just bought Knights of the Old Republic 2 off of Steam, is there any advice for this game besides obviously installing the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod?

Force speed is amazing, powerattack is pretty bad. Dual pistols with the right light side buffs is the best way to break the game

Combat is broken down into rounds. You can view this in the combat log. Every round you can pause the action and use a shield or medpack from your inventory without wasting time better spent buffing or attacking