Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like how the thing most dead center with the camera in that CG was Coach's junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Skunkrocker posted:

- From what I've been able to tell from the past few in game posts, the word "despair" doesn't show up as in game text by anyone until... now. By Mahiru. She ends up being the one to bring the word up and put the thought in everyone's mind before (right before, mind you) Monobear shows up. So, there is my suggestion for the mastermind this time around: Mahiru Koizumi

You know, that also made me suspicious. Compared to the rest of the cast, she seems a bit too normal. There's also something about her appearance that bugs me...

The gray eyes and freckles look suspiciously familiar... If she's the mastermind, I wonder if she'll turn out to be Mukuro Ikusaba in disguise? It's possible that the fake Junko from the first game was a stand-in, which she sent in her place because she suspected that Junko would eventually turn on her. She'd then join this group of students under an alias in order to run another despair game.

On the other hand, Saionji looks way too suspicious to actually be a threat. Her obsession with squishing small critters is starting to remind me of Genocider Syo, in that she's too obviously psycho to be a culprit. Add her resemblance to Junko to the mix, and I'm smelling a red herring.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
As pumped as I am for Monobear, I gotta say I love how tinny the Usami Charms are. It sounds exactly like some cheap toy you'd get in a Happy Meal.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, Hanamura barely even hesitating about taking his creepiness equal-opportunity is pretty much the best thing.

I wonder what Togami was going to say about the island. My best bet is that it was already wrecked by the Monopocalypse, and he's surprised to find it intact. (It was already something, and destroyed seems like the most likely thing.)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

...Well. If Monobear can control the weather, then... We're probably looking at an artificial environment of sorts. So yeah, there's my current guess based on that: They aren't actually outside, but in a large facility that emulates being a tropical island. Why is it set up like that? Well, I assume we're going to find out, if my theory is right.

This, plus Togami seemed to think something had happened to the actual Jabberwocky Island (like perhaps Despair-induced anarchy?) that would contradict how we are seemingly finding it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

orenronen posted:

An important matter, huh?! Sounds important!

Which is why you should dash straight to Byakuya-chan and force it out of him!

Of all the things to call that Togami character, she chose “Byakuya-chan”... That's actually kind of impressive.
:syoon:
What a wonderful girl. Please survive, Ibuki!

I do wonder if the other characters who were swimming are going to miss something important.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I hope we can all agree that creepy guy is going more towards overt sexual comic relief rather then creepiness when we see he's also into rubbing muscular guys just as much.

It'll be interesting if there's like some juxtaposition with naegi controlling usami and another member of the despair group controlling monobear in order to instill hope or despair into people.

The fact that usami may actually be good is sorta weird, but I dig the idea.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Man, this chapter raised all the characters to fun level! Even the creepy Teruteru and Saionji have me rooting for them now with how over the top they are!

I don't want anything to happen to any of them. :ohdear:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the bit of the U.S. I grew up in, that gesture translates to "Up yours". Does it mean the same thing in Japan?

Sigh. Apparently Miss Narcolepsy 2011's snot-bubble sprite is going to be with us through this adventure.

That pose, at least when I see it in anime, is usually seen when a character is psyching themselves up for the task ahead.

I like to think she's feigning ignorance and is getting ready to punch the poison out of his "afflicted area".

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Not sure if this has been speculated on already, but I'm seeing some serious parallels between these characters and DR1... Probably intentionally.
Their mannerisms and in some cases even art seem to match up.

Luck = Luck (Maybe)
Heir = Heir
Nurse = Author
Music Grouper = Fashion Model (Though she behaves kind of like Swimmer...)
Princess = Idol
Swordswoman = Detective
Mechanic = Genocider (Though he behaves kind of like Baseball player..)
Traditional Dancer = Gambler
Photographer = Swimmer
Cook = Manga Artist
Gamer = Hacker
Coach = Hall Monitor
Gangster = Gang Leader/Soldier?
Gymnast = Wrestler (Though she's totally Baseball player carefree..)
Animal Breeder = Fortune Teller (he's certainly about as oblivious so far..)
??? = ...

This is all speculative of course and there are a few I'm even debating personally now, (feeling like photographer might be more like the gang leader personality wise, for example,) but I can't shake the idea that they're all related somehow to the DR1'ers.
Of course, reading DR1 and seeing how this is going we're probably being led to believe this until they completely pull the rug out from under us.

Edit: Ungh and now that I look at it Gangster totally looks like Hall Monitor when he's pissed..

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 3, 2013

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm pretty sure Ibuki will die before the end. I don't particularly want it to happen, but a character that references another anime in that way pretty much exists to die.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Sainoji seems like she might be a killer, but it might be a goofy Syo type situation where she's too obvious.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them
I personally think Togami is gonna be one of the first few to die. If that's the case, then that pretty much proves that DR2 takes place after DR1 rather than before, unless some weird raising the dead stuff happens or Fatgami (or DR1 Togami himself) are fakes.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm pretty sure Ibuki will die before the end. I don't particularly want it to happen, but a character that references another anime in that way pretty much exists to die.

I have a hunch she will either be the first to go, or something close to it, even though she's a pretty fun character. As you said, she's pretty much a walking reference to something else, and she's been talking quite a bit, which means they may be trying to cram more Ibuki-time in before she sleeps with the Mono-fishes.

Is anyone else really suspicious of Chiaki? Her personality hits home with the audience (hell, she's a lot like me), she's got one of the least crazy personality quirks, and just seems too boring. And as soon as I found out she was a SHSL Gamer I thought of how suddenly in this game the theme of the game is definitely revolving around video games much more than the last one, with the title screen style, the leveling up, the collecting shards, and the tamagotchi Usami. Even if she's not the mastermind and turns out to be a good guy, I'm expecting something big from her.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Poulpe posted:

Not sure if this has been speculated on already, but I'm seeing some serious parallels between these characters and DR1... Probably intentionally.
Their mannerisms and in some cases even art seem to match up.

Luck = Luck (Maybe)
Heir = Heir
Nurse = Author
Music Grouper = Fashion Model (Though she behaves kind of like Swimmer...)
Princess = Idol
Swordswoman = Detective
Mechanic = Genocider (Though he behaves kind of like Baseball player..)
Traditional Dancer = Gambler
Photographer = Swimmer
Cook = Manga Artist
Gamer = Hacker
Coach = Hall Monitor
Gangster = Gang Leader/Soldier?
Gymnast = Wrestler (Though she's totally Baseball player carefree..)
Animal Breeder = Fortune Teller (he's certainly about as oblivious so far..)
??? = ...

This is all speculative of course and there are a few I'm even debating personally now, (feeling like photographer might be more like the gang leader personality wise, for example,) but I can't shake the idea that they're all related somehow to the DR1'ers.
Of course, reading DR1 and seeing how this is going we're probably being led to believe this until they completely pull the rug out from under us.

Edit: Ungh and now that I look at it Gangster totally looks like Hall Monitor when he's pissed..

This was actually the only thing anyone talked about when the characters were first introduced, and some of the more obvious parallels continue to be discussed.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

Suzuki Method posted:

Is anyone else really suspicious of Chiaki? Her personality hits home with the audience (hell, she's a lot like me), she's got one of the least crazy personality quirks, and just seems too boring. And as soon as I found out she was a SHSL Gamer I thought of how suddenly in this game the theme of the game is definitely revolving around video games much more than the last one, with the title screen style, the leveling up, the collecting shards, and the tamagotchi Usami. Even if she's not the mastermind and turns out to be a good guy, I'm expecting something big from her.
I think she's gonna be like Maizono, but stick around for a bit longer, if not to the end. At least I'm hoping she is. It seems like she's got a lot more to her than meets the eye, and I'm hoping they flesh her out a bit more.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

December Octopodes posted:

Sainoji seems like she might be a killer, but it might be a goofy Syo type situation where she's too obvious.

I get the impression that Hiyoko's a Super High-School Level Troll. Because she's small and cute, and her stated specialty is this traditional, graceful thing, people expect her to be all sweet and demure. And she's sick of it. So she accentuates her childlike cheerfulness with snarky remarks and talks freely about killing animals just to disturb people.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
:stare:

Okay so...

Hiyoko and Teru are horrifying and despicable, respectively.

Nagito and Togami... do they seem "off" to anyone else? Like, Nagito's starting to get more and more suspicious and... creepy, while there's something not right about Fatogami that I just can't put my finger on.

A few of the characters don't seem... TOO confrontational, thankfully. Lord knows what our ~Mysterious Figure~ might try though, so can't really call any shots.

Chiaki though-

Suzuki Method posted:

Ah, so I wasn't the only one thinking something along these lines.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well drat if Chef didn't make me straight up smile here. Shine on you crazy diamond I guess. Hiyoko declaring that they should go kill UMAs was also somewhat amusing.

On the other hand, K-on gets worse the more I see of her. I hope she dies or at least turns evil.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This was actually the only thing anyone talked about when the characters were first introduced, and some of the more obvious parallels continue to be discussed.

Haha good to know! I'm only just catching up now, going on 70 pages is a lot of reading x_x
Thanks!

Personally, I'm thinking Traditional Dancer is as good as dead, sooner rather than later. Likely early-mid game. A personality that specifically obnoxious would get grating by the end.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2013

spd12
Nov 3, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Haha good to know! I'm only just catching up now, going on 70 pages is a lot of reading x_x
Thanks!

Personally, I'm thinking Traditional Dancer is as good as dead, sooner rather than later. Likely early-mid game. A personality that specifically obnoxious would get grating by the end.

Keep in mind, Hagakure survived the events of DR1.

Whether a character is endearing on the onset or not (or ever) does not really seem to have that great a bearing on survival rates, going by DR1.

For all we know, we're going to be stuck with Hanamura for the entire game and that he won't develop much - or even at all. Hagakure stayed pretty stupid through all of DR1, although he did become slightly more self-aware and conscious of the fourth wall.

I'm half-expecting a joke when/if Monobear explains the killing rules about whether or not the ants counted in regards to culprithood.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This, plus Togami seemed to think something had happened to the actual Jabberwocky Island (like perhaps Despair-induced anarchy?) that would contradict how we are seemingly finding it.
I assumed he was going to say "inhabited". The characters are in a strange enough situation already that any surprising revelations in the first chapter should be things that they can at least wrap their heads around. Get too weird on them too fast and they'll just be Super High-School Level Confused instead of despairing.

At least I hope so.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
Togami's really coming across like he knows more than he's letting on, but it's inconsistent. Out of everything, I'm still most curious as to what his deal is.

orenronen posted:

I can't swim that far...!

“CAN’T”?! WHERE'S YOUR SPIRIT?!

:allears:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Another question that can be raised is, who makes Monobear? And who makes Usami? They are very similar in design, and there is obviously also a Monomi judging from the title screen, so they may be made by the same group. But what group, and what were their purpose? Were they both a part of Hope's Peak technology/research?

And is Usami legitimately good or is she bad like Monobear (personally I am leaning towards she is good). If Usami is good and Monobear is bad, it is plausible that Monobear is based off of a male counterpart of Usami (a non-mono bear) but is altered by the Despair group, kind of like a rogue AI (but can be puppeteered). This can mean that Usami was legitimately surprised by Monobear's entrance, as she sees he is not 'one of her' and actually wants to stop him. She, or whoever controls her.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Oh god I am not OK with the latest update:ohdear: At the same time, I am completely OK with this update:allears:

I never had too many fears about how well the main cast was going to meld together. I'll admit they seemed more a bit more exaggerated from first impressions than the DR1 cast, but I thought the creators knew what they were doing.

Now my nonexistent fears have been completely allayed. We got to see the cast reacting to several completely unexpected events, and nobody's reactions stood out to me as being over the top or distracting, at least compared to DR1. I'm perfectly OK going forward into HOPE and FRIENDSHIP!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
God dammit, Aoi is fuckin' terrible at "in disguise."

"Uh, I'm kinda bored. Mind if I go swimming?"

<moments later>

"Yeah, so we're trapped on this island. No boats, no planes, no communication, no nothing."

"Can't we just swim back?"

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 3, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Is the game splitting us off with these people so we can get to know them before they become suspects/victims of the first case? I wouldn't be surprised, but I was hoping for more characters I like less.

Everyone who's already picked favourites is going to be disappointed when some die though. :shrug:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Interesting choice to split the cast up like that.

Here's to hoping everyone not swimming is on Team Monobear to face off against Team Usami in a Hope vs. Despair Deathmatch! :black101:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

There has to be a high-res version of this somewhere, I must see the palace that is being built for the hamsters.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
So Monobear's back, and it's time to get down to the mutual killing. This is going to suck, I like all the characters and now they're going to start dying :ohdear:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Fearless_Decoy posted:

There has to be a high-res version of this somewhere, I must see the palace that is being built for the hamsters.

Oh my god I just noticed the hamsters are actually on top of/in the sandcastle. :allears:

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

If you don't like Gundam Tanaka in some way then I am pretty much judging you.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the bit of the U.S. I grew up in, that gesture translates to "Up yours". Does it mean the same thing in Japan?

You are perhaps thinking of

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012

Gaulems posted:

This is so me.

Although now this extends to Nidai Nekomaru too.

I mean, his bathing suit that Usami chose for him was a speedo. He could have had anything else in the world. He got a speedo. Someone likes him just as much as we do.

Also Souda continues to be one of my favorites because of how absolutely adorable he can be. IDK I'm not getting that killer vibe from him. I think he's going to be like a shark where if you bleed near him, he'll kill you.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Gaulems posted:

Post of the thread right here, Gundam is awesome. I totally did not notice the hamsters chilling in the sandcastle.

Sonia's naivety was giving me a mix of "aw that's kinda cute look how enthusiastic she is" and of horror of what she's agreeing to do. At least it looks like the rest of the crew is going to keep the chef in check. Enjoying the character interaction and glad that business is about to pick up. I'm not sure how to feel about Ibuki calling Togami "Byakuya-chan" though...

Also, Sonia's pose reminded me more of the "We can do it!" WW2 posters.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

In the last game, some characters gravitated more towards others. Ex: Sakura to Aoi, Hifumi to Celes, Ishimaru to Mondo.

Who do you guys want to see become bros? Personally I want to see some out-of-the-ordinary friendships. Maybe Nekomaru and Hiyoko or Sonia and Gundam.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

God dammit, Aoi is fuckin' terrible at "in disguise."

"Uh, I'm kinda bored. Mind if I go swimming?"

<moments later>

"Yeah, so we're trapped on this island. No boats, no planes, no communication, no nothing."

"Can't we just swim back?"

Kind of interesting she's (er- Akane, that is. All the evidence she's Aoi is too circumstantial for me to commit to the idea but it's certainly interesting to pick at the similarities) just so gung-ho about swimming and then doesn't as soon as Usami tries to get the whole group to swim. Can you talk to her while she's standing around on the beach after most of the group leaves to change? We didn't get any comment from her or Kuzuryuu; I figured it was a "talk to any 3 characters to trigger story progress" thing but now I'm curious whether there's any comment on why she's suddenly changed her mind about swimming.

And Togami seems so on-the-ball and cautious about rule-breaking, the game seems to be pushing the "These suspicious-seeming characters are survivors from the last game" idea.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

As some have noticed, I didn't speak to everyone remaining on the beach while some of the gang went to put their swimsuits on. That's because the game automatically picks up the story once you talk to three of them.

I will post an extra mini-update later today showing what happens if you talk to the remaining three. Owari does have her reasons for staying put.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

orenronen posted:

Nevertheless, a few seconds later every Usami strap was lying on the sand...

As expected, as soon as got them in our hands, we just threw them away.

Hey! Dirtying nature with garbage is pwohibited!

Definitely my favourite part of this update. Ibuki pointing it out, not so much, I just love how Usami is so cheery and then the subtle anger in her face at her trash being tossed on the floor, with the voice I imagine for her in my head (Betty Boop + Elmer Fudd speech impediment).. :allears:

I could have really done with Monobear holding off until later. :argh: Tubgami going ahead makes me think Monobear is going to kill him like he did to Muruko.. Hopefully DR2 subverts our expectations that he dies in the sequel by.. letting him live! But I doubt it. :( I also doubt that Usami and Monobear are in leagues. I imagine them going back and forth, Monobear initating murders while Usami keeps trying to get them to hold onto hope, maybe having wiped Hinata's memory to make him forget he's SHSL Despair. Monobear will shut her down, causing the islanders to despair and get off a kill, at which point she'll reactivate and be part of the trial while a nasty Monobear abuses her and throws her in an execution, only for her to come back with her subtly annoyed face.

e:vvvvvv Another speedo

Themata fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gaulems posted:

In the last game, some characters gravitated more towards others. Ex: Sakura to Aoi, Hifumi to Celes, Ishimaru to Mondo.

Who do you guys want to see become bros? Personally I want to see some out-of-the-ordinary friendships. Maybe Nekomaru and Hiyoko or Sonia and Gundam.

For some reason, definitely Sonia and Mahiru. I'm not sure why, I think maybe because the former might be one of the most innocent (so far) and the latter the most down-to-earth.

I also think it'd be hilarious for Nidai and Gundam to be bro-ing it up together. The loudest and the quietest... of sorts.

Also, was Peko in the water? I didn't see her back at the beach and I can't really make out the people in the back in the swimming picture.

And the game really doesn't want to depict Togami in a swimsuit, do they? DR1 he wasn't in the pool pictures, and now this... maybe he's hydrophobic. :cawg: Though I'd want to see the size of the swimsuit Usami picked out for him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Something no one has pointed out yet- Monobear shows up almost immediately after half of our cast goes off camera where we can't account for them. If one of our students is controlling him like last time, I'd bet it's one of the ones that don't stay behind.

• Locked thread