Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So, how likely is it to backfire if I go ahead and pull the trigger on an S4? What software do they use typically, and are they compatible with multiple kinds of software? I have a PC laptop if that's important. I'm mostly looking to just have fun and maybe eventually do house parties or other small gigs eventually.

I found this website that is pretty cool, too:

http://www.partycloud.fm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

an skeleton posted:

So, how likely is it to backfire if I go ahead and pull the trigger on an S4? What software do they use typically, and are they compatible with multiple kinds of software? I have a PC laptop if that's important. I'm mostly looking to just have fun and maybe eventually do house parties or other small gigs eventually.

The S4 is designed by Native Instruments, the company that also makes Traktor. It's specifically designed to work with Traktor. Traktor runs on both Mac and PC just fine.

If you're looking for a gently caress-around toy, the S2 may be a better option for you.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

vanilla slimfast posted:

The S4 is designed by Native Instruments, the company that also makes Traktor. It's specifically designed to work with Traktor. Traktor runs on both Mac and PC just fine.

If you're looking for a gently caress-around toy, the S2 may be a better option for you.

But if I did eventually want to do upgrade, I would probably severely regret the S2 purchase right?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

an skeleton posted:

But if I did eventually want to do upgrade, I would probably severely regret the S2 purchase right?

Depends entirely on if you want to do more than two tracks at a time, and/or sample decks. I think having multiple (3-4) decks playing at a time is cool, but a lot of people get by playing deck a to deck b, and have for years.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

an skeleton posted:

I found this website that is pretty cool, too:
http://www.partycloud.fm/

That is indeed pretty cool. Curious: what's the name of the "B" effect?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

an skeleton posted:

I bought an S2, I recommend getting and S4 because I really really wish I had 3+ decks, I think mixing with 3 songs can be a lot more interesting and fun but I don't get to try to experiment with that because of what I got. The S2, for what it does with 2 decks, is amazing though and I love it.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

This is so loving cute omg. I cant stop giggling.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Uuuugh people couldn't be arsed to dance during new year's.

The few enthusiasts were super cool though.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Why would you do this? Most people go the opposite direction (cdjs/turntables -> controller+laptop)

Seems like a waste of money if you're already invested with a controller and laptop

I am a junglist man. You don't understand how elitist my genre is and how frowned upon laptop warriors are in the scene. Basically what Anae said - people in groups like M.I.A. here in the US frown upon it too. Drum and bass is kind of rear end-backwards but I feel like the challenge sounds fun.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Dr. Goonstein posted:

I am a junglist man. You don't understand how elitist my genre is and how frowned upon laptop warriors are in the scene. Basically what Anae said - people in groups like M.I.A. here in the US frown upon it too. Drum and bass is kind of rear end-backwards but I feel like the challenge sounds fun.

Try to buy a cheap set of decks off someone in your scene then start buying wax. I'm switching back to vinyl after my computer ruined my last two sets. It's CDs and wax from here on out as far as I'm concerned. And all the old heads agree (of course).

Just make sure to play strictly jungle or the old dudes will bitch and moan, have fun!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
The OP says watch DJs and know what they do-- anyone have some suggestions for doing that? Good youtube videos, DJs that tend to expoud on their process, stuff like that?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

an skeleton posted:

The OP says watch DJs and know what they do-- anyone have some suggestions for doing that? Good youtube videos, DJs that tend to expoud on their process, stuff like that?

Go to parties and make friends with one of the better DJs. Unless you are a total shithead about it most people are willing to help.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Maguro posted:

Go to parties and make friends with one of the better DJs. Unless you are a total shithead about it most people are willing to help.

This is pretty much the best advice. Befriending existing DJs is a good way to get your feet wet with gear before making the plunge on buying your own.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Maguro posted:

I'm switching back to vinyl after my computer ruined my last two sets. It's CDs and wax from here on out as far as I'm concerned. And all the old heads agree (of course).

Just make sure to play strictly jungle or the old dudes will bitch and moan, have fun!

I sacked my Traktor setup about two years ago and I've never regretted it a single moment. I use vinyl and cd's at home, but when I'm gigging I just load up a couple of USB-sticks and throw some of my special/rare vinyls in my bag, just in case there happen to be some decent turntables. With the current generation of CDJs I can pretty much do everything what I used to do with Traktor, but without the stress and hassle of having to plug in my setup. And I find the absence of a laptop very relaxing as well, no worries about crashing and most importantly being free of glaring at the screen all night opens up my senses more and thus allowing me to focus much better on the music. Because instead of trying to see what's going to happen, I started listening or 'feeling' again.

Not there's anything wrong with digital DJ'ing of coarse, but it's just not for me. However cool and infinite the technical side of it is, it never gave me the same fulfillment I get by manually working the decks and the gratification it gives to get something in or out of the mix without the safety net in the form of loops and sync-buttons. But then again I'm not much of a fancy DJ on the technical side of things, I can work three decks and throw in the odd fader trick, but that's about it, but I mostly rely on my music collection/selection for making my sets interesting. However if you're more interested in working loops, decks, FX, making strange combos etcetera Traktor is probably the best train to hop on at the moment.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
http://www.mixtrax-global.com/en/index.html

Lock the thread, we're done here.

we aren't actually done here

Solus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 2, 2013

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Solus posted:

I'm amazed this has anything to do with Pioneer.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
As you can see, normal playback causes interruptions of your Musical High TM

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Solus posted:

The technology that creates a Non-Stop MIX with a range of DJ-inspired

edit: oh my god STEEZ AUDIO

http://www.mixtrax-global.com/en/products/steezaudio.html

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
All this talk about controllers, the new pioneer is the fuckin answer.

Its next level.

That is all.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

oredun posted:

All this talk about controllers, the new pioneer is the fuckin answer.

Its next level.

That is all.

I was thinking about one (as I posted a page or two back), but then I realised I could buy a Z2, an X1 and another F1 for the same price and potentially put turntables on it at a later date. And now I don't know what I want :psyduck:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Maguro posted:

Try to buy a cheap set of decks off someone in your scene then start buying wax. I'm switching back to vinyl after my computer ruined my last two sets. It's CDs and wax from here on out as far as I'm concerned. And all the old heads agree (of course).

I was vinyl-only up until about 6 months ago, and I wanted to go digital because I was missing out on so many new tracks. I got a controller and a new laptop, but I just hate setting it up for every set, tagging in and out with people sucks, and I've seen way too many systems crash just in the past few months.

Decided to switch to CDs, best of both worlds. EVERY club has CDJs, and they aren't going anywhere for quite a while. I can get digital tracks and burn them, the gear is super reliable and consistent, and if I really want to just play a house party or something I can bring the controller out there. I have to say, I never thought I would end up on CDs, but it seems to be the industry standard these days. Can't beat the reliability, that's for sure.

Edit: The only thing that could get CDs out of clubs is a super solid deck that feels the same, and has USB for sticks / hard drives. If they got a huge install-base around the world, that would be awesome. but I don't see that happening for another 5-10 years

reichsten fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 3, 2013

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

I was thinking about one (as I posted a page or two back), but then I realised I could buy a Z2, an X1 and another F1 for the same price and potentially put turntables on it at a later date. And now I don't know what I want :psyduck:

you would pretty much to have turntables to use a z2 to its potential.

You dont need an x1 and f1. you would need an f1 at the most, but i would think a z2 would be just fine for anybody, and the z2 has an x1 built in.

If youre not sure what you want, you def dont need to buy as much poo poo as possible, at the end of the day you are just mixing one track into another one.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

oredun posted:

If youre not sure what you want, you def dont need to buy as much poo poo as possible, at the end of the day you are just mixing one track into another one.

Yeah, I have no idea what I want.

My mixtrack is almost dead (I'm breaking the EQ's and Faders through use)
And I have an F1 and love it.

Thats about it.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Alright so two things:

Roommate got into vinyl, I'm in love and I need it and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.

Problem being, new laptop has only USB 3.0, and I had made the idiotic assumption an international business like NI would ensure compatibility at some point, but its been almost a year and no dice, as far as I know.

What are my solutions for the USB problem, and switching to digital vinyl? Serato looks nice but Rane SL2 clocks in at 500 which is stupid when I already have software and an upgrade to digital vinyl is 120. I guess I'll need a mixer with an internal, since my old external soundcard just BSOD's on install now.

And I'm right in thinking I can pick whichever platters I want, into mixer into audio interface into laptop and be done? Or is this USB thing going to require a more involved workaround?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

reichsten posted:

Decided to switch to CDs, best of both worlds. EVERY club has CDJs, and they aren't going anywhere for quite a while. I can get digital tracks and burn them, the gear is super reliable and consistent,

Someone has never played on cdjs that couldn't hold a lock. CDJ's are poo poo once there is a single problem with them. In the two clubs I work at we have sent our cdjs for repair 4x in the last year. Cdjs are at most a crappy compromise for djs who cant be bothered to bring their own equipment to the club.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Longtiem posted:

Alright so two things:

Roommate got into vinyl, I'm in love and I need it and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.

Problem being, new laptop has only USB 3.0, and I had made the idiotic assumption an international business like NI would ensure compatibility at some point, but its been almost a year and no dice, as far as I know.

What are my solutions for the USB problem, and switching to digital vinyl? Serato looks nice but Rane SL2 clocks in at 500 which is stupid when I already have software and an upgrade to digital vinyl is 120. I guess I'll need a mixer with an internal, since my old external soundcard just BSOD's on install now.

And I'm right in thinking I can pick whichever platters I want, into mixer into audio interface into laptop and be done? Or is this USB thing going to require a more involved workaround?

If it's a Macbook there is a solution involving using an older usb file to downgrade the ports to USB 2.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Someone has never played on cdjs that couldn't hold a lock. CDJ's are poo poo once there is a single problem with them. In the two clubs I work at we have sent our cdjs for repair 4x in the last year. Cdjs are at most a crappy compromise for djs who cant be bothered to bring their own equipment to the club.

It loving sucks taking controllers + cables + audio interface + DJ laptop on an airplane. If your gig is just a binder full of Cds and a pair of headphones it becomes so much simpler.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
CDJ2000s are becoming fairly standard over here in UK/Europe. What's it like in the U.S.? I know lots of people who can tour just carrying round a USB stick or something.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Old Man Pants posted:

Cdjs are at most a crappy compromise for djs who cant be bothered to bring their own equipment to the club.

is this a joke?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
For someone who only has a Mixtrack Pro, what would be the way to learn to use CDJs? I don't know of anyone that just has some sitting around for me to go dick around on.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

reichsten posted:

Edit: The only thing that could get CDs out of clubs is a super solid deck that feels the same, and has USB for sticks / hard drives. If they got a huge install-base around the world, that would be awesome. but I don't see that happening for another 5-10 years

This exists. They're called CDJ 2000s/900s. They are quickly becoming the world standard in clubs and I see many touring DJs having them required in their rider

Both times that Danny Howells has been in town, he literally showed up with headphones and a USB stick and was good to go.

Guesstimate Crohns posted:

If it's a Macbook there is a solution involving using an older usb file to downgrade the ports to USB 2.

FYI, they finally fixed this in the 2.5.1 update just released, and the corresponding Audio 8 driver update that goes with it. I had to do the USB kext hack to make my system stable, but it ran fine for 90 mins on NYE with the hack removed and the latest driver applied

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/online-help/compatibility/mac-os-x-compatibility/

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Maguro posted:

It loving sucks taking controllers + cables + audio interface + DJ laptop on an airplane. If your gig is just a binder full of Cds and a pair of headphones it becomes so much simpler.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain, but I'd rather know my equipment works and be able to throw down a rock solid set every time than rely on some dodgy equipment thats been beat to death by hacks. If you wanna complain about carrying a few cables and controllers, go look at what a band has to bring.

CareyB posted:

is this a joke?

Not one bit. CDJ's are great for what they are, but once they start to have a technical issue, everything else on them starts breaking. The pitch gets wonky or the cue button no longer has that click to it, and instead of just being able to do a solid set, you're stuck babysitting that one deck for your whole set so it doesn't start trainwrecking. I've logged a LOT of hours on CDJs, and once I went Traktor I never looked back. more accurate pitch, no technical problems pretty much ever, and I can record my set through the same interface. CDJs are at best a backup solution for me in case something goes wrong.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Old Man Pants posted:

The pitch gets wonky or the cue button no longer has that click to it

Pitch being "wonky" is one thing, but button clicking sounds like build quality. A controller would have the same issue, unless you're saying the build quality of controllers are better, on average.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epalm posted:

A controller would have the same issue, unless you're saying the build quality of controllers are better, on average.

With controllers it'd be something you'd have control over yourself though.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Old Man Pants posted:

Aargh I want to disagree with you so bad but I can't because you are right. Club/bar gear gets abused so bad.
The problem is that it is the shits fragile and takes a lot of effort to maintain it, but it often gets overlooked. Hence, the only equipment you can truly trust is your own (most of the time).

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 3, 2013

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Guesstimate Crohns posted:

Unfortunately I needed Windows for class.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

Anae posted:

CDJ2000s are becoming fairly standard over here in UK/Europe. What's it like in the U.S.? I know lots of people who can tour just carrying round a USB stick or something.

I live in Atlanta, GA and I know most of the higher traffic venues use 2000s. Some don't use them EVERY night, like I went to this place on Tuesday to watch my buddy play out for the first time in like 8 months and they were using CDJ1000s and a DJM 800 for that night, however on weekends they use a CDJ2000 setup, pretty sure it's just a DJM 900 mixer though.

vasOline posted:

Aargh I want to disagree with you so bad but I can't because you are right. Club/bar gear gets abused so bad.
The problem is that it is the shits fragile and takes a lot of effort to maintain it, but it often gets overlooked. Hence, the only equipment you can truly trust is your own (most of the time).

This is SO TRUE. The first venue I played out at like a year ago had CDJ800 and a Rane mixer and the jog wheel on the left deck was so bad I could hardly keep it from wrecking. The next show we played there I brought my own 2000 rig and blew the doors off the spot.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Jesse James posted:

I live in Atlanta, GA and I know most of the higher traffic venues use 2000s. Some don't use them EVERY night, like I went to this place on Tuesday to watch my buddy play out for the first time in like 8 months and they were using CDJ1000s and a DJM 800 for that night, however on weekends they use a CDJ2000 setup, pretty sure it's just a DJM 900 mixer though.

What's up fellow Atlanta DJ buddy. Which place?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Old Man Pants posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a pain, but I'd rather know my equipment works and be able to throw down a rock solid set every time than rely on some dodgy equipment thats been beat to death by hacks. If you wanna complain about carrying a few cables and controllers, go look at what a band has to bring.

Not one bit. CDJ's are great for what they are, but once they start to have a technical issue, everything else on them starts breaking. The pitch gets wonky or the cue button no longer has that click to it, and instead of just being able to do a solid set, you're stuck babysitting that one deck for your whole set so it doesn't start trainwrecking. I've logged a LOT of hours on CDJs, and once I went Traktor I never looked back. more accurate pitch, no technical problems pretty much ever, and I can record my set through the same interface. CDJs are at best a backup solution for me in case something goes wrong.

This is exactly the same as turntables though, with less moving parts to worry about. Back in the day, you could never count on a club's 1200's being in good order. Usually the pitch wasn't calibrated, one of platters would have wobble, the tone arm is bent, etc etc. Back then what could you bring aside from needles and weights? I'm not a huge touring DJ with a rider, so I was never getting paid enough to bring out my own turntables, but it sucked to rely on the club's lovely 1210s.

Every place I've played recently has CDJs standard, now you need to request turntables. So my solution has been, bring laptop / controller as a backup, and plan to play on CDs, so long as the club has a pair setup. Still WAY less poo poo to tote around then 2xturntables, mixer, and 4+ hours of record crates.

Edit Side Note: What do people use to record sets when they play out? I can record promos at home on my Pro Tools rig, but it's not portable at all. Are there any recommendations for a good quality, portable recorder? Would hope to get at least 4 hours on it, 44.1k 16-bit.

reichsten fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I just don't understand why the CDJ feels so fragile. I don't normally use them, but when I got to play with them it shocked me that the platter was essentially plastic.