Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I knew a midwife who discovered on a followup visit that her patient (who spoke English as a second language) had named her newborn daughter Chlamydia. She honestly thought it was the name of a flower, and was horrified when she was told what it really meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Isnt that one of the "Urban Legend Names"?

Edit:

quote:

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Names reported to have resulted from overhearing an unusual but flowery-sounding term:

Chlamydia (kla-MID-e-ah)

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jan 3, 2013

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No, you see he said that he himself knew the person and not his friend, sister, or cousin. That immediately validates it even though he did nothing but post the punchline to a joke I first heard 10 years ago.

Initial chat: My brother's initials are SMG which is pretty rad, but the actual name it took to get there I don't envy at all.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Initial chat: My brother's initials are SMG which is pretty rad, but the actual name it took to get there I don't envy at all.
You just reminded me I knew someone whose initials were MSG. Wonder if its the same combination of names.

Kitten Cakes
Aug 26, 2008

Delicious and nutritious.
I used to work with two brothers who were named Mario and Luigi. They were Italian-American and very into their names, so on top of that, they grew out thick mustaches. Sadly, Mario was the taller one (and also kind of a dick) but Luigi was a cool guy. Not so much terrible as awesome.

There are a lot of people I know with Nordic names. I know a Thor (short, chubby guy), a Loki, and a Leif Ericsson.

Some people I know who have kids have named their children some terrible things. I know a Jayce (pronounced Jay-see), a Jaryon, and a Jayden. A goth girl I know named her kid Raven Blackstar [LASTNAME]. Some other names that acquaintances have given their kids are Morguen, Lemuel, Shangri-La (a Juggalo's kid), and Aiesheh.

Lastly, I had a great-great uncle whose name was Crap. Crap Allen.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Edit: nevermind on this first one. I am a big stupid and not up to speed on the latest urban legend names :downs:

One of my friends just named her baby Doctor. Like, I get it, Doctor Who has a huge following but seriously?

Psychobabble! has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Jan 4, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Psychobabble! posted:

La-a is one of the weirder ones I've seen. Guess how it is pronounced?

Ladasha :geno:

That's actually a racist urban legend and has been posted and debunked on at least two-thirds of the pages in this thread. :ssh:

The Snopes article that debunks it is linked on this page. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Guys, Backyard Blacksmith has already made it against the rules to post "Ledasha" and other stupid, obviously-fake names with racist implications in this thread.

So please stop, okay? I don't want to see anyone get probated.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Kitten Cakes posted:

I used to work with two brothers who were named Mario and Luigi. They were Italian-American and very into their names, so on top of that, they grew out thick mustaches. Sadly, Mario was the taller one (and also kind of a dick) but Luigi was a cool guy. Not so much terrible as awesome.

Mario himself is quite an arse, to be sure. The fame from all those games must have gone to his head. I would expect Luigi to be more down-to-earth.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I'd almost forgotten about Chardonnay Bliss. I went to high school with her, and I think her sister was named for a wine as well, though I forget which. Bliss was their surname. She was super smart and you'd hear her name a lot at prizegivings.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
More Western Union Adventures:

I've sent to a Lando and a Presentacion

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

DaisyDanger posted:

My daughter's name is Claire Victoria. Originally, I had wanted to name her Claire Annette. I decided against that when I realized my daughter's name would be said like a certain band instrument.

Oh poo poo, this reminds me...my best friend in middle school was Amanda Lynn.

I got Lynn'd too (family is from WVa), but my sister got the bad middle name (Dale...I don't even know).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunshine89 posted:

Presentacion

Were they from the Phillipines? They have a lot of religious-based names over there, I've noticed. I've spoken to people named Concepcion and... I forgot how they spelled it, but it came out to "ressurection".

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I knew a Melody and her sister Harmony growing up. They were nice names (and nice people) but someone was certainly a music lover.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Were they from the Phillipines? They have a lot of religious-based names over there, I've noticed. I've spoken to people named Concepcion and... I forgot how they spelled it, but it came out to "ressurection".

This is big in a lot of Spanish-speaking cultures because many of them are deeply Catholic. The Spanish invaded the Philippines in the 1500s, so that's where that came from.

radioactivemongoose
Dec 27, 2006
High Voltage Rodent.
Today we welcomed a new cousin into our family. His name is Blaydynn. Ugh.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

radioactivemongoose posted:

Today we welcomed a new cousin into our family. His name is Blaydynn. Ugh.

I sometimes look at charts of the most popular baby names in recent years, and in the last couple of years names that end in that "yn" sound are extremely popular. They are mostly spelled with an "en" - names like Jaden, Caylen, Payden, etc. However I must admit I find the name Blaydynn to be cool. Who would bully someone who's named after a blade?

---

At work I met someone with the last name Bong. It's immature to find this funny, but hrmph, I'm guilty.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

I sometimes look at charts of the most popular baby names in recent years, and in the last couple of years names that end in that "yn" sound are extremely popular. They are mostly spelled with an "en" - names like Jaden, Caylen, Payden, etc. However I must admit I find the name Blaydynn to be cool. Who would bully someone who's named after a blade?
All I see now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7URSM_ShQQ

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I realized I also know not one, but two people who've named their children Loki. :sigh: To be fair, we work in the gaming industry so we're all a bunch of huge dorks, but seriously, my kids are called William and James. What's wrong with normal names? :(

e: also from my office, kids called Zero, Cain, and Esmeralda Sylvanas.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is big in a lot of Spanish-speaking cultures because many of them are deeply Catholic. The Spanish invaded the Philippines in the 1500s, so that's where that came from.

I've seen a lot of Asuncions and Concepcions (I have quite a few Filipino friends), but I don't remember anything in church history about a presentation :confused:

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Had to look through a bunch of highschool student records for work. The worst names I saw: T'Marcus and Shaqkobe.

In my hometown, Mr. and Mrs. Stipes decided to name their daughter Starzanne.

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Jan 3, 2013

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sunshine89 posted:

I've seen a lot of Asuncions and Conceptions (I have quite a few Filipino friends), but I don't remember anything in church history about a presentation :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation_of_Jesus_at_the_Temple

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

---

At work I met someone with the last name Bong. It's immature to find this funny, but hrmph, I'm guilty.

The deadliest American fighter pilot ever was named Dick Bong.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

My bad. I feel pretty ignorant now.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I met a guy named Ronny. Just that. Apparently in Indonesia they don't do last names, and Indonesians are forced to make something up, or just list their name twice, when they move to another country.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Went to college with a dude named Tore (first name). Great guy, super nice, but...what? (We called him the God of Tunder. :downs:)

Edit: He lost his virginity to the Emperor's March from Star Wars.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My own last name, Matoon. I don't know what the gently caress it means or where it came from. It might be Welsh or Gaelic. I have no known relation to anyone with the name Mattoon or the town in Illinois.

Other names I've heard that sound dopey were my then Circle K International district governor's last name, Smrdu, and a student by the name of Ryan Quackers.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

RazorBunny posted:

My husband's spell SAP.

One of my friends is EAR.

In addition, there is a very nice lady who comes into the store where I work all the time, named Beryl.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

I've seen some of these too and I always wondered why people didn't change them when they could instead of passing down names like Grosskopf (Big Head).

I don't know, Grosskopf sounds pretty cool and there are certainly worse names to have than Big Head.

Though I can't help but assume that, somewhere along the line, some rear end in a top hat is going to be all "Yeah, my family's last name is Big Head. Because we have...big...HEADS...if you know what I mean." So I guess that makes it terrible.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

jojoinnit posted:

Isnt that one of the "Urban Legend Names"?

Edit:

I've been had! Though I don't know why anyone would lie about that and say they personally encountered that situation, which probably explains why I fell for it like a chump.

To make up for it, there's an Australian comedian called Rebel Wilson, which is a bit unusual on its own. Turns out she has three siblings called Liberty, Ryot and Annachi. Rebel herself went by her middle name (Elizabeth) during school.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

bringmyfishback posted:

Guys, Backyard Blacksmith has already made it against the rules to post "Ledasha" and other stupid, obviously-fake names with racist implications in this thread.

So please stop, okay? I don't want to see anyone get probated.

My bad, a coworker of mine sad she talked to a client with that name or something, and she didn't seem the racist name joke type:shobon:. Maybe it was one of those she heard it from a friend of a friend bs things (read: the most likely), I dont know, my memory is a little fuzzy when people tell me things before 6am. Sorry guys, I dont normally follow this thread and actually came here to post Doctor and remembered that. Egg on my face.

I still think Doctor is a stupid name, no matter how cool Doctor Who is :colbert:. Also, not as bad as most in this thread, but the boyfriends little sister named her kid "leeam." Kids these days with their alternative spellings :corsair:.

Edit: I also went to school with a Deloss, which isn't necessarily horrible, just kinda strange, and all this megazone drama in the awkward thread reminded me that I have a friend whose middle name is Megatron, and that's what he goes by outside of work. Cool guy, though.

Psychobabble! has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Jan 4, 2013

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
In high school I was in classes with Danielle Daniel and her brother Daniel Daniel.

Also, one of my friends was named Jamon, and his sister was Sharame. These names were created from his father James and Sharon combining halves of their names together.

Also when I worked at a bank I would sometimes look through our database for strange names and I found a few:

Rex Doom
Do Rang
Zurbrugg Mirsad Dogo

Xenogoat
Dec 27, 2012
I think it's not always people lying about "La-a" and names like that, but more of a case where the original source is lost in translation and is sometimes simply misremembered. My mom has told me that story many times and sometimes it's a coworker that witnessed it and sometimes it's that coworker's friend or family; she doesn't care much for the details because she wants to get to the punchline (the same punchline... over and over...).

I've seen a few baffling names. I live in a pretty rural redneck area and I know at least two high school pregnancies off the top of my head that ended with a kid named Bentley. Even better, one of them had the full name of Bentley Aiden Drake-- initials BAD. It was intentional. Another young mother named her kid Talissa Genesus. Genesus is probably the most unattractive way to spell "Genesis" I can imagine (I don't want to imagine a whole lot further). Her friend, who got knocked up not long before her, named her boy Arion.

There was a girl in the grade below me who's first name was Bronte. My junior year English teacher had three boys named Aiden, Jayden, and Cayden-- any one of those is dumb enough on its own, why would you do that to all of your kids??? I also had a Spanish teacher named Pilar, which is one of those "Maria de ____" names in Spanish Catholic areas, but even then, Pilar isn't a common choice. When I first started college I was in an extracurricular group with a guy named Alfredo. I don't think he was from Italy himself but I assume his parents must have been. 

My parents used to know an old hippy guy named Wing. Not Wings, just Wing. Speaking of guys, I just remembered that my neighbor's name is Guy. I don't think that one is unheard of, but it always struck me as such a strange thing to name someone. Is that all you could come up with? "Yep, he sure is a guy alright." My mom had surgery under a very surly Dr. Hatchett. I used to go to a hippy church and one of the prominent members was a middle-aged, openly and flamboyantly gay man named Richard Cox. In the same congregation was a couple who changed their last names to Soluna, from the Greek sol and luna.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Certainly tame compared to some of these, yikes.

e: Holy poo poo this post is long, sorry!!

Xenogoat has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Jan 4, 2013

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a woman on Maury who named her kid Genious. Pronounced "genius."

Also have a friend whose initials spell WMD. Though that's more on the awesome end than terrible.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Psychobabble! posted:

My bad, a coworker of mine sad she talked to a client with that name or something, and she didn't seem the racist name joke type:shobon:. Maybe it was one of those she heard it from a friend of a friend bs things (read: the most likely), I dont know, my memory is a little fuzzy when people tell me things before 6am. Sorry guys, I dont normally follow this thread and actually came here to post Doctor and remembered that. Egg on my face.

I still think Doctor is a stupid name, no matter how cool Doctor Who is :colbert:. Also, not as bad as most in this thread, but the boyfriends little sister named her kid "leeam." Kids these days with their alternative spellings :corsair:.

Edit: I also went to school with a Deloss, which isn't necessarily horrible, just kinda strange, and all this megazone drama in the awkward thread reminded me that I have a friend whose middle name is Megatron, and that's what he goes by outside of work. Cool guy, though.

No, you're okay. I've had plenty of people pass on the Chlamydia or Lemonjello and Orangello rumours to me before. I just noticed there were two similar posts kind of close together and wanted to reiterate the warning so no one would get in trouble.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Well Guy is French (and in French, pronounced gee with a hard g). I don't know what happened to make the "guy" pronunciation come about.

I do know an actual real life Partridge family and have wondered how people get animal last names. I have also spoken to someone who claims to know a Mr. Gross who is, in fact, really gross.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My father's initials are ELF.

He was born on Christmas. Granted, I don't know when the idea of "Santa's elves" entered American popular culture, but this has always given me and friends plenty of chuckles.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I went to school with a guy named Richard Butt. Over here in the UK "Butt" isn't used to much to mean "rear end" so it's not as bad as if he lived in the US.

Not only that, but I found out a couple of years ago that he's engaged to marry a girl named Frances who goes by the name Fanny, so although Richard doesn't go by Dick, they will still essentially be, after marriage, Dick Butt and Fanny Butt.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
British MP Ed Balls has one of my favorite names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

foot posted:

British MP Ed Balls has one of my favorite names.

Sillier, but Armand Hammer is still my favourite actual famous person name.