Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TOS was literally pitched as gunsmoke in space, apart from a couple of ham fisted "klingons are russians romulans are chinese" episodes it never got more complex than "bad guy menaces the innocents, kirk shoots it"

anyway it was a flop on it's first run, and pretty much the only reason anyone has ever heard of it is that desilu sold it dirt cheap in syndication so it got saturated across hundreds of little channels in weird timeslots and picked up a cult following of young nerds, if it weren't for the weird way us television works it would be as well-known as That Girl (which debuted the same year and was more successful in it's first run)

it got a space shuttle named after it what you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
uss that girl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

anyway it was a flop on it's first run, and pretty much the only reason anyone has ever heard of it is that desilu sold it dirt cheap in syndication so it got saturated across hundreds of little channels in weird timeslots and picked up a cult following of young nerds

cult following is kind of a dumb way to understate it

20 years after it first aired, it was still the #1 most popular syndicated show... and syndication was not exactly a new or weird thing in the 1980s.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also paramount failed to create tv networks like once a year back then, so they were very nearly 100% dependent on syndication to avoid being under the networks' thumbs

not surprising that they paid attention to their #1 independent show

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
voyager was absolute poo poo, the rest of trek shouldn't be judged as if that's some stellar example

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Install Gentoo posted:

what's weird about the way us televison works in this context.

television in other countries is mostly a propagandized element of the government where, even if the stations are independently owned and operated, they're legally required to play content that shows the country in a favorable light

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i mean idk i guess that guy is from some country where there was only 4 tv channels period until the 80s so the entire idea of running shows more than once doesn't make sense there

Cocoa Crispies posted:

television in other countries is mostly a propagandized element of the government where, even if the stations are independently owned and operated, they're legally required to play content that shows the country in a favorable light

the federation is space america

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everyone works for nothing and money has been abolished. sounds like space ussr to me!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

i mean idk i guess that guy is from some country where there was only 4 tv channels period until the 80s so the entire idea of running shows more than once doesn't make sense there

the federation is space america

the federation is an idealized america. the ferengi are real americans, until rdm ruins them at the end of ds9

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweevo posted:

everyone works for nothing and money has been abolished. sounds like space ussr to me!

nah they only have one russkie

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cryin Burnigan posted:

it got a space shuttle named after it what you talking about

i want to live long and prosper

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cult following is kind of a dumb way to understate it

20 years after it first aired, it was still the #1 most popular syndicated show... and syndication was not exactly a new or weird thing in the 1980s.

the cult following was what made it the most popular show in syndication though. it was sold cheap and so independent, mostly uhf, stations put it on as late-night filler or against the 6 o'clock news on the networks. the uhf bit is important because the rise of cable in the seventies meant uhf channels were relegated to second sets, which were in bedrooms, which meant that teenagers (boys and girls, against the normal stereotype of trek fans) ended up being it's main audience. this is what gave it the cult following, everything else followed from there.

Install Gentoo posted:

what's weird about the way us televison works in this context.

almost every other country on earth had monolithic national networks until the rise of digital television. the idea of independent stations, and hence syndication - in fact the idea that a show might get a repeat on a channel other than the one that made it - is a completely alien concept to almost everyone else

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

almost every other country on earth had monolithic national networks until the rise of digital television. the idea of independent stations, and hence syndication - in fact the idea that a show might get a repeat on a channel other than the one that made it - is a completely alien concept to almost everyone else

well our national networks didn't do more than about 8 hours of programming a day either you know. syndicated stuff (or local origin stuff) was needed to fill the rest of the broadcast day which was generally about 16 hours or so.

and for what its worth there are legal requirements that national networks cannot supply more than a certain percentage of their national programming from their own studios - this has lead to a decades long practice where even though NBC, CBS and ABC all compete with each other they all usually have at least one show on their national programming that's produced by the studios of a competitor.

i don't really see what's weird about it though. it's what has to happen if your primary tv channels are private. tbh stuff like the uk's "independent" regional systems were just goofy and dumb.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

well our national networks didn't do more than about 8 hours of programming a day either you know. syndicated stuff (or local origin stuff) was needed to fill the rest of the broadcast day which was generally about 16 hours or so.

and for what its worth there are legal requirements that national networks cannot supply more than a certain percentage of their national programming from their own studios - this has lead to a decades long practice where even though NBC, CBS and ABC all compete with each other they all usually have at least one show on their national programming that's produced by the studios of a competitor.

i don't really see what's weird about it though. it's what has to happen if your primary tv channels are private. tbh stuff like the uk's "independent" regional systems were just goofy and dumb.

the itv network centre model is basically the american model though. you have (well, had, the model was dropped after the carlton fiasco and itv is now much more monolithic) 10 or so regional stations who transmit the central network feed at prime time but make their own programmes otherwise ("prime time" slowly crept up until local non-news programming was only an hour or two a day).

the only real difference was that for historical reasons three of the regional companies - associated rediffusion/thames television and itc/atv in london, and granada in manchester, all of which were owned by the big old media monsters of the time, provided the vast majority of the network programming. independent production companies weren't really a thing until the 80s and arguably the itv system allowed a lot of programmes to buld up steam locally before going national - tiswas and the bill being the examples that uk goons of a certain age are most likely to remember, both of which had a couple of series on their home station before going national

(also anyone wanting to defend the us system over the british one should look up the muppet show and where and how that made it onto television)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This was just in the Kickstarter email newsletter and it looks like a fun toy, but I would solder my finders to the board and burst into flames if I tried building it :o:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onetesla/onetesla-a-diy-singing-tesla-coil

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
http://www.indiegogo.com/HelloHarto

My Drunk Kitchen gets 60 large in 6 hours for a tour

My Drunk Kitchen Girl is awesome

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

not worthless at all. she's awesome. im glad she's getting to do that.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

polpotpi posted:

not worthless at all. she's awesome. im glad she's getting to do that.

she had to bleep out 'gently caress ebaums world' in one of the videos heh

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Masaokis needs his own Kickstarter

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the tool time of cooking

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't think so, Hannah.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

oops wrong thread

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 4, 2013

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a free-to-play browser-based little red riding hood-themed anime diablo from American McGee?

sign me the gently caress up

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
hey why didn't they mention Bad Day LA??

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol american mcgee also invested in this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1428934180/camcuff-the-bold-camera-wrist-strap-youll-wear-all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

having a camera swing from your wrist seems like a really really terrible idea perfect for kickstarter by the way

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sniep posted:

bring on the rotating tv mounts

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ghorahn/sometimes-i-make-music

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

(Wondering who Miorin is? Short version: She's a j-pop performer.)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

(Wondering who Miorin is? Short version: She's a j-pop performer.)

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Yodzilla posted:

hey why didn't they mention Bad Day LA??

i'm still wondering how much mediocre poo poo american mcgee has to put out before people start realizing maybe he's not god's gift to game design afterall

apparently we haven't hit that point yet

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Proteus4994 posted:

i'm still wondering how much mediocre poo poo american mcgee has to put out before people start realizing maybe he's not god's gift to game design afterall

apparently we haven't hit that point yet

who thinks that though? i don't know anyone who thinks he's anything other than a mong. just a plain old mong. american mcmong

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

do people call him amy for short?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dr. Honked posted:

american mcmong

mods

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Dr. Honked posted:

who thinks that though?

people who keep buying his terrible games, i'd imagine

e: i guess what i'm saying is that bad day la should have been american mcgee's daikatana but yet somehow he keeps releasing stuff and getting publicity. it makes me sad. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
i rescind my previous comment about Spicy Horse and Bad Day LA because apparently they had nothing to do with that piece of poo poo! thanks Aspyr!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's what happens when aspyr tries to do anything beyond porting somebody else's poo poo to mac i guess

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
i don't know how much American McGee had to do with Scrapland but goddamn what a weird and lovely game. the voice work is completely bonkers and if i remember correctly there's a scene where a flamingly gay robot priest gets boiled alive in a hot tub

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
The alice games were pretty alright.

I have no idea what else mcgee has been a part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

The alice games were pretty alright.

I have no idea what else mcgee has been a part of.

he did level design for iD back in the days, iirc

• Locked thread