Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser

Stop being so creepy and immoral god, how dare you observe behavior and make guesses in a mystery story?

As for the whole Aoi=Akane thing, I do think her insistence on swimming is a tad suspicious. It wouldn't be quite so bad, but the existence of Nagito and Fatogami just makes you want to find the other old cast members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser

I did think Kuzuryuu was a woman the first time we saw him, back in the classroom (to such an extent that I got confused when people were saying he would be a reverse-Chihiro, because I'd just assumed he was undisguisedly female). I'd more or less dismissed it after his introduction, but the fact that he refused to swim does make me wonder. His voice is pretty masculine, though, and it's notable that he has a male voice actor; in the case of a reverse-Chihiro, I'd expect a woman to be doing the voice acting, as a female voice actor would fit with the twist whilst being unremarkable enough (women often voice young male characters, after all) not to give it away.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I don't know, I think Babyface is just being a dick. I mean, lets compare:

Chihiro WANTED friends, WANTED to do group activities, but was too embarrassed. Something was preventing him from doing what he wanted, and that turned out to be the crossdressing thing.

Babyface DOESN'T want friends, because the image he's trying to live up to supposedly doesn't have friends. Completely different scenario. Here, he isn't subverting his own desires, requiring us to find a motive, he's actually seeking out his prime motivation, even if it's actually to his detriment from an external point of view. It makes sense internally to him.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The thing I hate about mystery games is that there's so much possibility for reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse-to-infinity psychology.

1. He's a crossdresser!
2. Can't be, because they already did that last game.
3. But that's what they WANT us to conclude!
4. No, it's stupid and would be lazy writing/repetitive
5. But no one will see it coming!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

They're making it so obvious I want it to be a fake out.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards "fake out", myself. If it were real, I'd think the writers would be a bit more subtle about it.

Also, geez, Akane's practically a parody of Asahina at this point. Yeesh.

EchoPrima
Oct 17, 2012

Okay so I'm immortal but other than that I've basically got fuck all going for me!
I honestly don't think Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser, he's just being anti-social. If he had a female voice actor I'd consider it but I think his issues will stem from him looking they way he does and his Yakuza family. They've already had a cross dresser with Chihiro so I doubt they'll do it again. Anyway I'm glad to see the mysterious person has finally showed up, the murders can finally begin!

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I seriously doubt that's a cross dresser with that kind of voice actor.
When I heard Chihiro speak for the first time I recognized Kouki Miyata right away so I knew it was coming but this is only because I have never heard a male voice actor for a female character in any Japanese media before.
This can not be said for the opposite. In fact, at least two of our main male characters are voiced by women and no one gives it a second thought.
For Kuzuryuu to pull that kind of a twist off he's have to have a voice that's at least capable of imitating a female and this is not the case at all :colbert:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I actually really like Akane. She doesn't give a gently caress about anything. It's a good twist on Asahina, who was driven, firm in her decisions, and confident. Akane has a streak of Leon in her: Good at what she does, but has different interests than what people have planned for her.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sindai posted:

You call that obvious? Good grief

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Apathetic Panda posted:

I may be in the minority but I'm hoping Usami is completely innocent of wrong doing and is just a cute bunny who wanted to take them on vacation till Monobear comes in and messes that all up. Poor Usami. :(

After the last update I feel the same way! I felt so bad when they all threw her gifts on the ground like garbage, she looked so sad! :( Then she gave them swimsuits and they all just took off without a word of thanks. Poor little bunny.

I'm sure this also means that she'll turn out to be horribly evil and I'll be eating my words in a few updates.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:stare: Akane sure is something.

I wasn't actually expecting Monobear to show up, but assuming that is "him", I think I know why Usami's theme is called "Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CHiRAL posted:

I seriously doubt that's a cross dresser with that kind of voice actor.
When I heard Chihiro speak for the first time I recognized Kouki Miyata right away so I knew it was coming but this is only because I have never heard a male voice actor for a female character in any Japanese media before.
This can not be said for the opposite. In fact, at least two of our main male characters are voiced by women and no one gives it a second thought.
For Kuzuryuu to pull that kind of a twist off he's have to have a voice that's at least capable of imitating a female and this is not the case at all :colbert:

Maybe I'm just pulling this out of my rear end, but I was under the impression that it's far easier for a woman to take on a male voice than the other way around.

Watch it be Ibuki, though.

Skunkrocker posted:

The big breasted athelete is a moronic whore.

Seriously? This is not the vibe I got at all.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 3, 2013

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I actually also think it's too obvious to actually happen. Kuzuryuu can just as easily be an insecure boy trying to live up to the idea of an ultra-masculine gangster. But then again, that's also a bit obvious, because even while discounting the idea of Kuzuryuu being a crossdresser, he is a rather obvious reflection of Chihiro, and even more obviously of Mondo: he's trying to fit into a rigid standard of behaviour, and reacting violently when the resultant image is threatened. It doesn't really matter if he is a she or not.

Everyone has already made the Togami connection, but I think he's more of a reflection of Mondo (and by extension, Chihiro). Togami is naturally arrogant, but Kuzuryuu is always compensating for something, and his character interactions consist of anger and dismissal. Going further with this, I think the most natural way for him to develop as a character is the primrose path of bromance.

Then again, he has been barely introduced, so this can probably be safely ignored.

E:

Skunkrocker posted:

That's some rather unfortunate phrasing. You probably mean that she is sexualised/objectified constantly, like Asahina turned up to 11.

E2: At least I hope so.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 3, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

What the gently caress dude.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Skunkrocker posted:

Remember, hacking is a criminal activity.

For the record, the original term for Chihiro's SHSL title was actually 'programmer', and Oren changed it to hacker. And there was nothing in the game supporting or implying that they had done anything illegal of any kind.

As for the 'moronic whore' part, I won't comment.

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

^^^^Best GIF in the whole universe.

The communicative abilities and your comprehension of this user may or may not vary from day to day.
As pretty much everyone already has said, god drat Akane, you aren't afraid of anything, are you? :stare:

That's some rather unfortunate phrasing. You probably mean that she is sexualised/objectified constantly, like Asahina turned up to 11.

E2: At least I hope so.

^^^^ There's my comment on using the phrase 'moronic whore'.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Skunkrocker posted:

There were several surviors from the first game, and these characters all seem to be what someone thought or wished they were. [...] The big breasted athelete is a moronic whore.

Yep, that's what I was wanting, all right. You know me pretty well, always wanting me some vapid sluts in my video games as long as they got some big boobs I can ogle

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
I really don't think the Gangster is a crossdresser. Keep in mind, again, the cottages seem to be divided in half between male and female, with one all on one side and the other on, well, the other. His cottage is not in the middle, his little cottage is surrounded by other men.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Sindai posted:

He has big, manly hands. I'm thinking "not crossdresser" for that reason alone.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It looks like cross dressing sadly because if they wanted a baby face they'd have the same effect without blushing with every single sentence.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

It looks like cross dressing sadly because if they wanted a baby face they'd have the same effect without blushing with every single sentence.

If you look closely, you'll notice that he doesn't blush every sentence. The blush is, in fact, permanent.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ChaosArgate posted:

Is it just me, or is Togami's reaction to the voice a little... subdued? I mean, shouldn't he recognize it?

Probably means it's not Togami, just a descendant with near identical mannerisms.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

orenronen posted:

What is this...? This... indescribable feeling... like I’m an outcast...

Could it be... it was me who was wrong all along?

I... get it...
I should just go along with it, right?
In that case... why don't I...?
Right, here I come!

Theory: Hinata's skepticism, and these lines about him feeling like an outcast, may be suggesting he actually isn't enrolled into the school and was never a SHSL, but rather infiltrated it pretending to be one. This is also compounded by one of the first lines in the game stating that his greatest ambition was to enter the school - this may the amnesia playing tricks making him only remember the mission but not the reason.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Theory: Hinata's skepticism, and these lines about him feeling like an outcast, may be suggesting he actually isn't enrolled into the school and was never a SHSL, but rather infiltrated it pretending to be one. This is also compounded by one of the first lines in the game stating that his greatest ambition was to enter the school - this may the amnesia playing tricks making him only remember the mission but not the reason.

I was thinking along these lines - Hinata is a Super High School Level Fakester. Which, oddly enough, faking being a Super High School Level something at a Super High School level is enough to get into Super High School -- but you have to keep on faking it.

What a vicious cycle.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Skunkrocker posted:

Remember, hacking is a criminal activity.

KA-BOOM!

Uh oh! Someone stepped on a Wordmine!

Within the fields of programming and computer science generally:

Hack (n): A comparatively basic or somewhat inelegant but nevertheless effective solution to a programming problem. Typically arrived at through brute force or trial and error. Often employed as a necessity by anyone seeking to alter a program whose source code is not available. Action Replays are a great example of hacks employed in gaming: you can grant the player (for example) infinite health, not by doing something tidy such as making all damage calculations against the player compute to zero or removing the player's capacity to take damage or have their health lowered, but by repeatedly writing some arbitrarily high value to the memory address in which the value representing the player's health is stored. Wonderfully inelegant. Beautifully effective.

Hack (v): To attempt (or succeed) to create a hack. In programming, while software is typically developed from the bottom up (ie, you write code, which is then compiled into instructions that computers can understand), hacking is done from the top down, combing through memory and program output, trying to establish what all these loving numbers are for, and what minute change to make in order to achieve the desired change in program behaviour.

Hacker (n): One who hacks, either as a hobby or as a profession. Or both. Hackers create stuff, and expand the functionality of existing stuff. At worst, their work enters moral grey territory (see: jailbreaking). They also tend to pointedly distance themselves from...

Cracker (n): One whose business is the circumvention of electronic security systems, primarily (though not necessarily solely) by means of hacking. Confusingly, the word "hacker" has been popularized by the media (well, Hollywood, mostly) as being synonymous with "cracker", and "hack (v)" as specifically implying "hacked into" (eg, "hacked the Gibson"). Consequently, "hacker", when used in the context of computer security, basically always means "cracker". While cracking is generally unambiguously illegal, and the most obvious application of cracking is data theft, a not-insignificant subset of said hackers use their skills for benign purposes. Colloquially known as "white-hats" (in contrast to "black-hats", you see), they are specifically employed to test the security of systems by attempting to crack them, and in doing so discover vulnerabilities that can then be patched. (Talking about white-hats means I get to plug Sneakers, about which I will say only that it is the absolute polar opposite of Hackers.)

So, yeah. Hacking != Criminal. Probably. The irony is that Chihiro never (as far as we know) actually did any cracking until after she died.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
And here I thought Crackers were the "authorized" types of Hackers. Basically they're hired by companies to purposely try to break into their systems to find out holes in security and such. I could see Chihiro doing that.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them
I personally don't think Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser. Honestly, a lot of these characters seem like red herrings. I don't think Akane will have anything to do at all with Aoi. I don't think Kuzubabby will be a crossdresser.

I think it's just a mind game. They want you to connect x to y, even though the two aren't related at all.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I have to say, I'm glad Chihiro wasn't labeled as a "Super High-School Level Cracker" in the LP, because I am five years old and therefore very easily amused.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 18, 2014

HappyAlpaca
Nov 10, 2012
I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that she has loose morals at all. She doesn't like swimming costumes and was going to be naked, that doesn't equal immoral at all.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Skunkrocker posted:

* Whore may have been too strong of a word. Skank? Rake? Jezebel?

Wow you are loving awful at damage control.

How about we just say "she has less inhibition than the others" and leave it at that?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I feel like there's a lot more to that dialogue then just "I want to get naked whee" Hell, she wouldn't wear a swimsuit because she thought it was more embarrassing. Something's going on there.

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012
Wow this is just...

I wouldn't use 'dumb whore' on anyone, it's not appropriate. A girl wants to get naked. She doesn't see a threat because she doesn't see what we've seen. Not only that, if she's a SHSL gymnist, I think she could probably handle most situations herself.

She just does what she wants and she seems pretty confident.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them
Calling her a whore was incredibly inappropriate, and wow, that is some awful damage control.

Wanting to strip clothes off to swim ≠ 'dumb whore'

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
Based on the description of her personality by Komaeda, people find her difficult to work with but that she's capable of incredible things in her field.

Her dislike of school swimsuits (on grounds of calling them embarassing) and such might be much less 'less inhibition' and more 'I am an individual' which runs pretty contrary to the whole idea of 'the stake that stands out will be pounded down.'

She comes off as a free-spirited sort more than anything, and as not wanting to really be a cog in the machine, so to speak. I'm expecting her to start acting contrary in trials - if any, assuming she is not the first victim - when there's otherwise a consensus among the group just for the sake of being contrary and fiercely individualistic.

We could just be placing a lot of weight on her character on something that could've just been a throwaway gag. I don't think she's hiding anything about her person on a physical level, at least.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's just a joke about swimsuits in an anime game. Everybody calm down.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Everybody shut the gently caress up about the dumb swimsuit thing.

...And someone get on explaining how the crossdressing thing is "obvious." Can't a guy just not want to swim?

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up about the dumb swimsuit thing.

...And someone get on explaining how the crossdressing thing is "obvious." Can't a guy just not want to swim?

Because it was a plot twist in DR1 so clearly it has to happen again.

Because Spike is just as uncreative as the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

slowbeef posted:

Generally speaking, the actions of fictional characters should serve to further the plot, expand on a theme, or reveal something about their character. Not wanting to disrobe is a fairly obvious clue that out SSHL Yakuza is actually wearing a wire, under the duress from the amnesiac SSHL Interpol Agent Hinata. I believe Byakuya-Chan already suspects something, and it won't be long before our modest friend ends as the main component of a number of Teruteru's pies.

• Locked thread