Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

Isn't the Qatari government ran by a monarch or dictatorship or something? I remember reading a story in Time recently about it and they threw a reporter or poet in jail for life because he wrote a piece that the government found unflattering.

Yeah, they're a fairly typical Arabian absolute monarchy which is pretty repressive and has an awful human rights record. They supported the NATO mission to overthrow Gaddafi but they're less keen on democracy closer to home- they sent troops to help the Bahrain government repress the protests there for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Crameltonian posted:

Yeah, they're a fairly typical Arabian absolute monarchy which is pretty repressive and has an awful human rights record. They supported the NATO mission to overthrow Gaddafi but they're less keen on democracy closer to home- they sent troops to help the Bahrain government repress the protests there for example.

I imagine we won't see making political progress for another considerable amount of time, depending weather or not we go back to the policies of the Cold War.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Right, anything involving Qatar's interests geopolitically should probably be taken with a grain of salt on Al Jazeera. So stuff about Syria in particular (where Qatar's government has been backing the Salafi factions of the rebels since the beginning of the civil war) isn't much better than what you'd get on CNN talking about American interests or whatever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's interesting. A-J has been trying to expand their international profile for a while now, and this would be a step in the direction of becoming a legit cable news channel.

Considering Time Warner Cable's already announced they're dumping Current in response, and surely others are soon to follow, probably not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

watt par posted:

Considering Time Warner Cable's already announced they're dumping Current in response, and surely others are soon to follow, probably not.

Haha what the gently caress?

"Oh no, the A-Rabs are buying it?! BURN IT DOWN."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Right, anything involving Qatar's interests geopolitically should probably be taken with a grain of salt on Al Jazeera. So stuff about Syria in particular (where Qatar's government has been backing the Salafi factions of the rebels since the beginning of the civil war) isn't much better than what you'd get on CNN talking about American interests or whatever.

Bwuh? I was always under the impression that as long as it didn't deal DIRECTLY with Qatar (so suspicious silence on domestic issues and foreign funding decisions) AJ was pretty comfortable with being proper journalists.

Admittedly even in their most nervous moments re the Emir they're still usually a better regional news source than any Westerners except possibly the BBC.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Glitterbomber posted:

This is literally the only thing I could think of as a "rational response" from TWC. What the gently caress do they care? Al Jazeera beating CNN in the ratings?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For what it's worth, Nielsen says CURRENT shows up in just 59,260,000 households - 51.67% of TV owners. That means all people who have it on a cable package they subscribe too, the number who actually watch it is less. For comparison, standard networks like ESPN gets 98,903,000 - 86.23% and the Weather Channel, the most widely available cable/satellite channel, gets 100,205,000 - 87.36%.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Talking about right-wing media, has anyone done any study on whether or not mass-mailing people DVDs of anti-Obama propaganda was effective? I thought that was an interesting touch from the last election. Definitely better than robocalls or youtube videos. I'm curious to see if it actually affected voting patterns in any way, even slightly.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

This is literally the only thing I could think of as a "rational response" from TWC. What the gently caress do they care? Al Jazeera beating CNN in the ratings?

The standard line is Current's ratings were too low, which why they also dumped Ovation, which is mostly performing arts and documentaries, though in that case it was to add another sports channel.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

cheerfullydrab posted:

Talking about right-wing media, has anyone done any study on whether or not mass-mailing people DVDs of anti-Obama propaganda was effective? I thought that was an interesting touch from the last election. Definitely better than robocalls or youtube videos. I'm curious to see if it actually affected voting patterns in any way, even slightly.

Not sure there is anything on DVDs yet specifically, there are barely any studies out yet on the 2012 election overall. Independent expenditures across the board (D and R) only had 1/3rd of their money go to races that won. This is party due to the corollary between close races getting more money and partly because Republican independent expenditure groups were hilariously inefficient. Karl Rove got terrible returns on his money and not many other Republican groups did much better. This is 2012 specific though, in 2010 what independent groups there were did pretty well. So far there is just not that much data for examining the effectiveness of outside projects like the DVDs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The dark money and 501(c)(4) groups weren't so much inefficient as they were scams.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
As a barometer of how pathetic the right wing and its media have become, this is the latest "issue" they are pushing.

That Hillary Clinton faked getting a concussion in a 'conspiracy' to duck Benghazi investigations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujE0-lZ_yqI

Several of them even after the doctors came out to announce her status, are still pushing this and refusing to apologize for being loving idiots.

quote:

Bolton said, "I didn't think that was the effort to begin with.. I think it's the too cute by half approach... that's going to end up damaging her and damaging her credibility."

I don't know what Bolton's "effort" or "thrust" was when he spoke about Clinton's concussion. But I do know what he said:

“Every foreign service officer in every foreign ministry in the world knows the phrase I’m about to use, when you don’t want to go to a meeting or a conference or an event, you have a ‘diplomatic illness,’ and this is a diplomatic illness to beat the band."

But even if Bolton did not mean to accuse Clinton of faking her concussion, the classy thing would have been to apologize for any misunderstanding and wish her a speedy recovery.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 3, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

By the by, any chatter from the pundits about the Sandy relief meltdown? I know it's got its own thread, but this is a talking-head question.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spacedad posted:

As a barometer of how pathetic the right wing and its media have become, this is the latest "issue" they are pushing.

That Hillary Clinton faked getting a concussion in a 'conspiracy' to duck Benghazi investigations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujE0-lZ_yqI

Several of them even after the doctors came out to announce her status, are still pushing this and refusing to apologize for being loving idiots.

Yeah I got to hear over Christmas how Hillary's injury was in order to avoid Benghazi hearings so that she will be clean for the 2016 election. I asked how she is going to pull that for the next four years if Benghazi actually is a Big Deal but whatever. I feel sad that people still think there's some shadowy Obama/Hillary motive that they did something bad there but they can't explain what that possibly could be since they were hammered so hard that it was A Thing during the election and can't turn it off.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Glitterbomber posted:

Al-Jazeera also owns BeIN Sport and that just got added to my lineup because they bought the rights to a bunch of top-tier European soccer (France's Ligue 1, Italy's Serie A, Germany's Bundesliga, UEFA Champions League and Europa Cup, etc).

It's also probably going to kill Fox Soccer Channel in America since Fox just lost English Premier League rights to NBC/Univeral, so it's a neat thing all around.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Glitterbomber posted:

The right-wing media gets all huffy about Al Jazeera. They're just wanting to avoid any political brouhaha.

"There isn't any right to not be offended. Why don't you change the channel? :smugdog:"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Regarding CurrentTV: I'm going to enjoy the predictable Freeper response that the "TERRORISTS" are sneaking into America using the 1st Amendment as cover. Never mind that Saudi royalty is the largest minority owner of Newscorp. No sir - don't look at that man behind the curtain.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

watt par posted:

Yet another symptom that TV Cable is dying a slow slow slow death, and people should stop subscribing.

I don't own cable TV and I really don't think hardly anyone should in this day and age. 99% of TV is garbage you don't want to watch. The shows you do want to watch are usually available free (with ads) online as they come out in episodes, or if you are really keen on them, you can get them from itunes or something. (And in that case, you get them without ads.)

That said, I'd say that the al jazeera english app on my iphone is one of my most-used apps. A free streaming international news channel, that while carrying biases themselves, is still worlds better than ANY American TV cable news network? Sure!

redshirt posted:

Regarding CurrentTV: I'm going to enjoy the predictable Freeper response that the "TERRORISTS" are sneaking into America using the 1st Amendment as cover. Never mind that Saudi royalty is the largest minority owner of Newscorp. No sir - don't look at that man behind the curtain.

Or that Geraldo Rivera gave away troop locations live on Fox.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 3, 2013

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

redshirt posted:

Beck basically made that argument today. He was particularly upset because The Blaze looked into buying Current but were denied due to not sharing the same values. "Heh, so Al Gore means to say he shares his values with Al Jazeera?? These guys broadcast Osama bin Laden!!!"

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
Just heard the most idiotic birther-esque argument from Alex Jones. He and his guest said that to be a natural-born citizen of the US, BOTH of your parents have to be US citizens. Thus it doesn't matter where you're born, so even if you concede Obama is from Hawaii, his father being Kenyan disqualifies him. And so now is the time to flood Eric Holder's inbox with your indignant rage.

I guess they forgot about the 14th amendment? By their own logic every child of an immigrant is a non-citizen, which is so clearly insane and would mean vast swathes of the US would be non-citizens receiving all the benefits thereof. It's also variation on this argument, but somehow even dumber: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/citizen.asp

BanjoFish fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 3, 2013

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
fake edit: ^^^Oh hey, building on that concept...

Well, you can tell WorldNetDaily is getting desperate. After seeming to finally give up on their plan to crash the electoral college to keep Obama out of office, they have now posted an open letter to Chief Justice Roberts saying that if he swears in Obama, he's violating the Constitution and will be impeached.

quote:

In addition to the nationality of Mr. Obama Sr. listed on Barack Obama’s birth certificate, we know that Obama Sr. was not an American citizen because of correspondence surrounding his stay in this country.

Because Obama Sr. lacked American citizenship, Barack Obama is not a natural born citizen, as required by our Constitution. He is not natural born, and can never be natural born, because of his father. Therefore, Barack Obama is not qualified to be president and never will be qualified. This would still be true, even if he received every vote cast.
This actually shows something interesting about WND and their readerships - according to them, there's absolutely no "controversy" over Obama's "legitimacy" at all. He has a British/Kenyan dad, the qualification for being a natural born citizen is having two American parents, bada-bing bada-boom, he's unfit for office. Mind you, I've never heard any reputable constitutional lawyer argue in favor of that definition of natural born citizen, but hey, it's all they have left by this point.

quote:

Given the gravity of this situation, we therefore urge you to take the honorable course of action and refuse to administer the oath of office to Mr. Obama. And yes, this will also require you to explain to the nation in the clearest possible terms why you have been compelled to take this most extraordinary action.
I can see it now. Roberts will take the Bible away from the sniveling, sneering Obama, walk up to the podium, and explain exactly why the Usurper can't run the country anymore. At first, silence. Then, clapping is heard. A slow, solitary clap, that quickly builds and rises from the gathered crowd. As the crowd goes wild, starting to chant "USA! USA! USA!" and waving tiny American flags, Obama will hiss and slink away, boarding a private jet back to his personal home in Kenya, living out the rest of his days in shameful exile.

I mean, I hate picking on WND because it's essentially the estranged e-mail forwarding racist uncle of the news media, but remember, Rick Santorum is now an official contributor to the site. They have an audience. And since they're essentially the last bastion of Birther thought left, it's interesting to see how they implode.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BanjoFish posted:

Just heard the most idiotic birther-esque argument from Alex Jones. He and his guest said that to be a natural-born citizen of the US, BOTH of your parents have to be US citizens. Thus it doesn't matter where you're born, so even if you concede Obama is from Hawaii, his father being Kenyan disqualifies him. And so now is the time to flood Eric Holder's inbox with your indignant rage.

I guess they forgot about the 14th amendment? By their own logic every child of an immigrant is a non-citizen, which is so clearly insane and would mean vast swathes of the US would be non-citizens receiving all the benefits thereof. It's also variation on this argument, but somehow even dumber: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/citizen.asp

If taken to its logical conclusion, wouldn't this mean the only people who are actually citizens were native Americans? The whole nation of immigrants thing probably doesn't get a lot of play on Alex Jones though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

If taken to its logical conclusion, wouldn't this mean the only people who are actually citizens were native Americans? The whole nation of immigrants thing probably doesn't get a lot of play on Alex Jones though.

That's what I was wondering. Both my parents were natural born Americans and their parents were but that's where it ends. My grandparents weren't all born to two Americans. So doesn't that make my grandparents not citizens? And since my parents didn't have citizens as parents doesn't that make them not citizens? And then where does that leave me? Crap. I'm an illegal immigrant despite being 3rd generation born in the US?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The WorldNetDaily argument is idiotic, but it's about Natural Born Citizens, which is the requirement to be POTUS, not being a citizen of the U.S. So Arnold Schwarzenegger is a citizen with all the associated rights, but not eligible to be POTUS.

It's idiotic because the Natural Born condition has never been defined with precision. If it's so clear cut an issue as they now claim, how come no one knew this four years ago?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BanjoFish posted:

Alex Jones is a special sort of idiot. He once argued that the Government adds chemicals like fluoride into water and food to turn people gay as a way of establishing population control.

No! Not my sippy juice box! :ohdear:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Polluting our precious bodily fluids :colbert:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
There's plenty of precedent for "natural born citizen" to mean "citizen at birth" - which would be governed by the 14th amendment and some other laws. So again they are insane since Obama was born in the US and it doesn't matter where his parents are from. So either they have to stop being scared of anchor babies or admit they have no standing.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

They've been pretty much sticking their fingers in their ears and going "LALALALALA" every step of the way on this whenever people shoot the fish in a barrel of their birther 'case.' So obviously they're going to keep being scared of anchor babies while pretending they have standing.

It's a good thing that we can regard them as politically irrelevant for the most part though. They're only just going to become more and more delusional and paint themselves further into a corner of insanity with no relation to reality.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, who wants to see what Glenn Beck is up to?

I do, I do! We totally haven't had enough of him and his bullshit!

All right, you little scamp, here are The Blaze's marching orders for 2013: Anybody who mentions Barack Obama's name or plays any audio of him is fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsl9V7koO4

(I'm assuming this is hot off the presses, so I didn't check back that far. Hope it wasn't already brought up.)
I thought this was already hilarious that a supposed "news" pundit would stick his fingers in his ears and completely go LALALALA at the President of the United States, but then I saw that this rule does not apply to Beck himself, just his underlings.

So much for the 1st amendment, eh Glenn Baby?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Defenestration posted:

I thought this was already hilarious that a supposed "news" pundit would stick his fingers in his ears and completely go LALALALA at the President of the United States, but then I saw that this rule does not apply to Beck himself, just his underlings.

People like Beck are itty bitty mad tyrants who slaver at the power that comes with controlling other human beings. And just like 'big' tyrants, they find scapegoats to project their tyranny on and deny that they are tyrants. Which would explain why Beck wants total Stalinistic control of airbrushing Obama's image. See, Beck's not the tyrant - he's not the overinflated ego and petty childish control freak. It's dat Obummer - who Beck and only Beck can give the proper airbrushing presentation for, so he thinks.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 4, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Defenestration posted:

Fascism is stylish.

example: Hugo Boss and the Nazis :godwin:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Phone posted:

Fascism is stylish.

example: Hugo Boss and the Nazis :godwin:

Several of them wore some pretty fetching neckties.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I listened to Hannity on the drive home and am listening to Levin now and I was intrigued by how, after trashing the fiscal cliff deal and attacking Boehner and McConnell, they both predicted that U.S. debt would be downgraded over the coming budget battle. Of course, it would all be Obama's fault. They are already greasing the wheels for the GOP to shut the government down in two months.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

radical meme posted:

I listened to Hannity on the drive home and am listening to Levin now and I was intrigued by how, after trashing the fiscal cliff deal and attacking Boehner and McConnell, they both predicted that U.S. debt would be downgraded over the coming budget battle. Of course, it would all be Obama's fault. They are already greasing the wheels for the GOP to shut the government down in two months.

See, here's the thing though. It's been this kind of stuff for the last four years running. Even most GOP voters aren't Koch Bros. level super billionaires who can indulge fits of political pique while Rome, and the markets, burn. 8 years is a hell of a long time to let the economy be in the shitter to stick it to Obama. Whether they are sympathetic with the cause or not, if intransigence and debt ceiling shenanigans cause a market crash and any possible recovery to die in the crib, the country as a whole WILL assign the blame to the GOP. Aren't there devastating political consequences for this at SOME point?

I live among and work with a huge tribe of GOP voters who are probably largely in the "one to a few million bucks net worth, make a lot but under a million dollars yearly" group who, while fairly secure economically, will be seriously adversely effected by a market crash or continued weak economy. They no longer have the option or luxury of trying to get Obama out of office, and I seriously doubt they will benefit from continued lovely economy for four more years much less a full blown crash. If at all rational they will want things to recover just for their own families, businesses and retirement accounts to do better. I will be watching very closely their reaction if their own party insists on driving the train off the rails in a couple of months.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I love how his little sychophant sidekicks giggle nervously at nearly everything he says. It kinda completes the whole picture.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I love listening to Levin. At this point all he can do is grasp at straws and ask his people to be obstructionist assholes and primary EVERYONE who voted for the guy. I love how, at this point, Republican no longer means Conservative and it's now a completely different class of political entity. Please, please, please, please splinter the right even more. The further these people drive one another apart the better this nation is going to be in the long run. I have never in my life been happier to have the extreme right around.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
My personal favorite bit of birther blather is the 14th Amendment Citizen theory. You see, since the slaves were freed under the terms of the 14th amendment, no black person can be a natural born citizen, but rather a unique category of person known as a '14th amendment citizen', so no black will ever qualify to be President.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sicarius posted:

I love listening to Levin. At this point all he can do is grasp at straws and ask his people to be obstructionist assholes and primary EVERYONE who voted for the guy. I love how, at this point, Republican no longer means Conservative and it's now a completely different class of political entity. Please, please, please, please splinter the right even more. The further these people drive one another apart the better this nation is going to be in the long run. I have never in my life been happier to have the extreme right around.

I view Levin as just a straight up anarchist. He continually fumes about how we live in tyranny and don't need government in our lives. I like to think of him and his kind as wanna be mountain men, but they have no idea the amount of deprivation involved in living that lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

I just checked out Redstate; is it usually this bad.

http://www.redstate.com/fmeekins/2013/01/03/racemongers-rally-to-gay-marriages-defense/