Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Gilgameshback posted:

Be forewarned: the internet nerd fury surrounding sushi knives makes the internet nerd fury surrounding western chef's knives look tame.

But basically a slicer, like you would use to carve prime rib, might be your best bet. The Japanese equivalent for this kind of knife is yanagi/yanagiba. The basic idea is you want something very sharp and long enough to cut in one stroke. I'm sure you could cut sushi adequately with an extremely sharp chef's knife, or any other long, thin-ish western knife in your setup. Sharpness rather than blade shape may be the issue here - how are you sharpening your knives?

The wikipedia article on that type of knife gives me the idea that my technique was all wrong. I will have to try pulling the cut more next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you wetting the knife before you cut? Just dip the tip in some water and hold it up so a little runs down the blade.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
For sushi you want to wet the blade, and use an extremely thin knife. Like a yanagi or sujihike. I personally cut my sushi with my CCK cleaver, because that thing is a beast :black101:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wet the blade, wipe off the rice residue from previous cuts with every cut, and use long swooping slices starting from the heel of the knife and ending near the tip. The biggest mistake I see is with people using these little tiny sawing slicing motions and pushing down too hard. That just turns the sushi into a ragged ball of garbage. Sharp, clean, moist knife, long slices.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wet the blade, wipe off the rice residue from previous cuts with every cut, and use long swooping slices starting from the heel of the knife and ending near the tip. The biggest mistake I see with people is using these little tiny sawing slicing motions that just turn the sushi into a ragged ball of garbage.

That's what I was doing, with results as you describe. Was too overwhelmed with figuring out everything else (it was my first attempt) to pay adequate attention to the slicing.

Yeah, before buying a knife I'll try a second round using the knife I have that most closely matches that form, and follow the rest of your tips. Thanks to all with suggestions!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

LTBS posted:

drat, I always just assumed they were waterproof. Makes much more sense now. I will look into the PT100s now that I know that.

Make sure you get a PT100 sensor that's waterproof.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Looking for a utensil set since boyfriend and I are moving out and need to get our own kitchen equipment. I saw this OXO Set and it has everything we would use minus the meat tenderizer, but $100 is a little rich for me. Anyone have a better budget option for a set that will last a few years? I figured a set would be cheaper than buying individual pieces.

Already eyeing the Tramotina pot/pan sets for next pay check.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 3, 2013

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

BlueGrot posted:

Make sure you get a PT100 sensor that's waterproof.

I just baked some of my leads in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. They are working correctly now, so I really just need to be careful.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

LTBS posted:

I just baked some of my leads in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. They are working correctly now, so I really just need to be careful.

Excellent idea. I just did this with one of my 'broken' probes and it is now working again. Thanks.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

cheese eats mouse posted:

Looking for a utensil set since boyfriend and I are moving out and need to get our own kitchen equipment. I saw this OXO Set and it has everything we would use minus the meat tenderizer, but $100 is a little rich for me. Anyone have a better budget option for a set that will last a few years? I figured a set would be cheaper than buying individual pieces.

OXO stuff is good but I mean do you really need a bucket for them? Can you put them in drawer? Also do you really need an ice cream scoop or can you make do with a spoon? I mean some of that stuff just looks like you don't really need it. I'd just buy stuff piecemeal as you really require it. It might be a bit more expensive in the long run but it's spread out over months and you know you'll be using what you buy.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Blendy posted:

OXO stuff is good but I mean do you really need a bucket for them? Can you put them in drawer? Also do you really need an ice cream scoop or can you make do with a spoon? I mean some of that stuff just looks like you don't really need it. I'd just buy stuff piecemeal as you really require it. It might be a bit more expensive in the long run but it's spread out over months and you know you'll be using what you buy.

I agree with most of this. Those plastic/nylon utensils are mostly terrible from my experience. An ice cream scoop is a good thing to have, but I've seen ones with the Oxo design break many times. Get one of the classic metal ones filled with antifreeze, they're great. The Oxo tongs are pretty good, though. I'm voting for buying piecemeal.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just use two warmed tablespoons and make quenelles for ice cream.

While OXO makes some nice things, often times you can get better from other brands, so I, too, would buy piecemeal. For instance:

You can get a better grater than an OXO one, namely a microplane one.

I prefer the Zyliss pizza cutter over the oxo.

I prefer a Titan peeler over the oxo.

I prefer the Art and Cook potato masher (a food mill or ricer is the best thing for mashed potatoes though)

And I prefer wooden spoons and silicone or metal spatulas (depending on stainless or nonstick pan).

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

GigaFool posted:

I agree with most of this. Those plastic/nylon utensils are mostly terrible from my experience. An ice cream scoop is a good thing to have, but I've seen ones with the Oxo design break many times. Get one of the classic metal ones filled with antifreeze, they're great. The Oxo tongs are pretty good, though. I'm voting for buying piecemeal.

I'm not against ice cream scoops, I was more just playing devil's advocate since the post was about starting a collection of tools and is an ice cream scoop one you really need to buy right off the bat? That being said I'm a bit biased since I just run a spoon under warm water and I rarely eat ice cream.

I also second that poster should get a microplane grater.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

cheese eats mouse posted:

BB&B wooden utensil set, $5 (you can leave them in the pot/pan and not worry about them melting or getting hot)
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13298904

Oxo large silicone turner $11 (depending if you use metal or nonstick pans)
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Silicone-Flexible-Turner/dp/B000JPVCYE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357241379&sr=8-6&keywords=oxo+spatula

Good Cook 2 spatulas, $1.50
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Classic-Set-Spatulas/dp/B000BPILY6/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357241483&sr=1-9&keywords=spatula

Oxo 12 inch tongs $13 (depending if you use metal or nonstick pans) (don't get 9 inch, you'll regret it) (
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-12-...s=12+inch+tongs

Zyliss whisk $8
http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-71378-...s=balloon+whisk

Good Cook can opener $10.50 (any old can opener will do)
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Touch-Can-Opener/dp/B003XPH7BE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357241694&sr=8-7&keywords=can+opener+good+cook

Microplane zester $13.50 (not the same as a grater, but I use it more)
http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-40...keywords=grater

Messermeister peeler $7
http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister...r+messermeister

Good Cook potato masher $6.50 (any old masher is fine)
http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Classic-...s=potato+masher

Zyliss pizza cutter $11
http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-30820-...ds=pizza+cutter

Norpro ice cream scoop $5.50
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-682-Freeze-Cream-Spade/dp/B000LNTSYA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357243350&sr=8-3&keywords=ice+cream+scoop

Norpro meat hammer $10.50 <-- do you even really need this
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-165-Gr...meat+tenderizer

BIA utensil holder, $9
http://www.amazon.com/BIA-Cordon-Bl...+utensil+holder

=$112

You can replace any of these with other products, I'm not married to recommending any product over another, just pointing out that you can piecemeal them for pretty close to what they would've cost separately if you don't use just Oxo branded stuff. And you can get better stuff!

If you want to be even cheaper, go visit discount stores like Ross, TJ Maxx and Home Goods. They will often have Oxo and other brands for even cheaper than what I listed.

If you want to save even more money, leave out the things you don't really need and then get them later if you decide you do need them. The main attraction of a set is the idea that you're saving money by buying them all at once, but if you can piecemeal them for comparable money and with comparable or better products, might as well just buy some now and get some later.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 3, 2013

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
How exactly are you supposed to tell when you need professional knife sharpening versus DIY sharpening? I've never sharpened my knifes and they are in desperate need of some love, it's been like 3-4 years for a few of my knifes. Is this the "get someone else to do it" time? If so, is there a mail-in place to get it done, because there does not seem to be a decent local place to do it (I'm in OKC). Does Williams-Sonoma do sharpening?

I'm also willing to learn to sharpen myself. Is the Lansky 4 rod sharpener or Spyderco sharpener thing worth it, or just go with a whetstone?

Laminator fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 3, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Laminator posted:

How exactly are you supposed to tell when you need professional knife sharpening versus DIY sharpening? I've never sharpened my knifes and they are in desperate need of some love, it's been like 3-4 years for a few of my knifes. Is this the "get someone else to do it" time? If so, is there a mail-in place to get it done, because there does not seem to be a decent local place to do it (I'm in OKC). Does Williams-Sonoma do sharpening?

Depending on how much effort you want to put into it and what knives you have, you may be able to do a better job yourself with a small investment in some stones.

Based on your post, I think you may be calling "honing" "DIY Sharpening". Knife steel, stainless in particular (and European knives in general), are made of a soft-ish steel whose edge folds over during use. This edge is still quite sharp it just needs to be bent back straight. This is called honing and is usually done with a rod. Carbon steel (Japanese/Chinese knives in general) is far more brittle and doesn't bend so much as the edge just wears away due to use. These (again, generally) cannot be honed, especially because the steel on a conventional hone will be softer than the knife steel so all you'll end up doing is shave off the ribs on a hone.

So to answer your question, assuming stainless steel european style knives, you will know you need to sharpen when honing doesn't do anything. The flopping of the edge back and forth eventually causes it to break, similar to how you can bend a paperclip back and forth and it will eventually break. Sharpening isn't difficult to learn. You can have it done by a professional if you want, but the price of stones is the same cost as 2 trips to a pro sharpener and it's not a very steep learning curve. Almost anything can hold an edge. I used a cheapo kiwi cleaver (7bux) to learn sharpening on and now I do it on all my knives.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

If you have high-end knives you can send them to http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ , which is expensive but has a good reputation. What kind of knives do you have?

For less expensive knives or soft German knives (Wusthof/Henckels) you might be better off getting a Lansky Gourmet sharpening system. This should cost about $30, which is probably less than you would pay a sharpening service, and can be re-used. The Lansky system is ostensibly not as good as a set of Japanese water stones, but it costs only a fraction of what the stones do and it will sharpen your knives without ruining them. The Spyderco Sharpmaker also has a good reputation. You could also try a basic set of Japanese stones, but that's kind of far afield from what you asked.

Sharpening does not get dramatically harder because the blades are dull. It may take you a little longer, but not by much.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and use it regularly, even on Japanese steel. That being said, the downsides show up if you're trying to sharpen something that isn't profiled to 30 or 40 degrees (15 and 20 deg. per edge, respectively). The stones that come with it are not abrasive enough to re-profile without a lot of effort. You can spend a little extra and get diamond stones for it that will do it, but you should keep that in mind. It's a good set for the money if you're like me and don't want to have to get good at free sharpening (with a flat stone) and just want an easy way to get a razor sharp edge without much thought or expenditure.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Thanks for the replies. It's hard to even sort out what to ask without sounding like an idiot because there's so much "mysticism" and bullshit peddled about knives and sharpening on the internet.

I don't have any super high-end knives. I mostly use a Wusthof 6" chef's knife, a Victorinox 8" chef's knife, and an array of paring knifes (Rada and Victorinox). I too have a cheap-o Kiwi cleaver from the local Asian market, so that would probably be good to practice on. I'm an awful person and don't have a knife steel, so I'll buy a steel first and see if I can make any improvements. The Lansky and Spyderco sound good for what I need now, and maybe I'll pick up a stone in the future when I have nicer knives or want to learn.

Thanks.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Laminator posted:

Thanks for the replies. It's hard to even sort out what to ask without sounding like an idiot because there's so much "mysticism" and bullshit peddled about knives and sharpening on the internet.

I don't have any super high-end knives. I mostly use a Wusthof 6" chef's knife, a Victorinox 8" chef's knife, and an array of paring knifes (Rada and Victorinox). I too have a cheap-o Kiwi cleaver from the local Asian market, so that would probably be good to practice on. I'm an awful person and don't have a knife steel, so I'll buy a steel first and see if I can make any improvements. The Lansky and Spyderco sound good for what I need now, and maybe I'll pick up a stone in the future when I have nicer knives or want to learn.

Thanks.

Vis-a-vis sharpening steel - you might try this ceramic hone instead. I have one and I adore it. You use it just like a sharpening steel, and it's a very, very fine ceramic so it's not taking off much material, if any.

The Victorinox 8" chef's knife is one of my absolute favorites - it may not be made in a cave by blind Japanese swordsmiths, but you can get it awfully sharp and it's beautifully balanced and always fun to use.

Gilgameshback fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 4, 2013

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Does anyone know anything about whippers/siphons? I've read a lot of good things about iSi but I'd like a hot and cold one and they're a bit on the expensive side (110+ on Amazon). I saw this one: http://www.amazon.com/Molecule-R-Siphon-R-Evolution-Culinary-Whipper/dp/B00695YTKC

which is $60 bucks and can do hot and cold but I can't find any reviews. Am I better off just biting the bullet and going for an iSi, Mosa, or Liss?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Get an isi pro, you'll never regret it, I love mine.

Also see if there's a restaurant supply store near you, you might be able to get it cheaper there. I personally got mine for 35bux, but that was through a vendor. You might be able to find them for ~$65 elsewhere.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

What you meant to type was, "In the world of can openers you should only consider the original Swing-A-Way line. Everything else is gimmicky bullshit that will break and suck and cause you to curse aloud at the uncaring sky. gently caress that Good Cook piece of poo poo that has 7 negative reviews and nothing else, what you want in your kitchen drawer is the original badass lasts-for-decades can opener the EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Opener. The name change is because Swing-A-Way moved their plant overseas and isn't making a quality opener anymore.

Other than that, good list!

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

What you meant to type was, "In the world of can openers you should only consider the original Swing-A-Way line. Everything else is gimmicky bullshit that will break and suck and cause you to curse aloud at the uncaring sky. gently caress that Good Cook piece of poo poo that has 7 negative reviews and nothing else, what you want in your kitchen drawer is the original badass lasts-for-decades can opener the EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Opener. The name change is because Swing-A-Way moved their plant overseas and isn't making a quality opener anymore.

Truest words ever written. My parents have a swing away they've been using for at least 20 years, I have rounded off the gears on two lovely can openers in two years and they cost twice as much. Thanks for reminding me to buy one.

Doodarazumas fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 4, 2013

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

CuddleChunks posted:

I got the swing aw ay because of this thread, and the one I got has been awful. It can never go all the way around the can without skipping bits. My brother has an old one and it is perfect. If only I knew about the name change/quality change. So the EZ-DUZ-IT is the good one now?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Ugh, noobs opening cans with a can opener. I just use my gyutou, like all serious chefs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who uses stuff out of cans?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I have to, my soil just isn't right to grow my own San Marzano tomatoes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

CuddleChunks posted:

I prefer a real can opener, personally.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Who uses stuff out of cans?

I like tuna fish...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I know it's unfashionable but I love my Chef's Choice knife sharpener (endorsed by Craig Clairborne!)

It looks kinda like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-...knife+sharpener

I learned how to hone a knife when I worked at Benihana, and this doesn't get my cheaper knives quite as sharp (or do the one-sided thing) but imo it's more than good enough for me and a lot less time-consuming.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Knockknees posted:

I have to, my soil just isn't right to grow my own San Marzano tomatoes.

That's the one acceptable answer.

FishBulb posted:

I like tuna fish...

No. Bad FishBulb.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Remulak posted:

I know it's unfashionable but I love my Chef's Choice knife sharpener (endorsed by Craig Clairborne!)

It looks kinda like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-...knife+sharpener

I learned how to hone a knife when I worked at Benihana, and this doesn't get my cheaper knives quite as sharp (or do the one-sided thing) but imo it's more than good enough for me and a lot less time-consuming.

This is a great option if you are literally a war criminal and you only prepare food for yourself and for other war criminals.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gilgameshback posted:

This is a great option if you are literally a war criminal and you only prepare food for yourself and for other war criminals.

But it was ENDORSED BY CRAIG CLAIRBORNE!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chipotles in adobo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dammit.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

edit: nevermind, it's got a pull tab

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Evoo, coconut cream, condensed milk, evap milk, and like a ton of other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

No. Bad FishBulb.

What am I supposed to do carve up a whole tuna for a sandwhich?

• Locked thread