Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mister Chief posted:

Ken Taylor Jurassic Park posters.

Why the two versions also? The first one is ok, nothing great, but the second in grey makes it look like someone made a statue of T-Rex and put it in the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Meltathon posted:

Why the two versions also? The first one is ok, nothing great, but the second in grey makes it look like someone made a statue of T-Rex and put it in the jungle.

Because they're mondo posters.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What the hell is wrong with their necks?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

How big is that T-Rex? Because the overturned jeep is barely visible and there's no humans either about to be eaten or running away. Since there's no establishing scale for it, it looks like a tiny lizard.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Young Freud posted:

How big is that T-Rex? Because the overturned jeep is barely visible and there's no humans either about to be eaten or running away. Since there's no establishing scale for it, it looks like a tiny lizard.

Yes, tiny shrubs and tiny trees too apparently.

I don't like the posters either, but we're eventually going to run out of bad things to say about it, and we don't need to come up with excuses for why it's bad. It's bad because it doesn't fit the tone of the film. The drawing is fine, the "scale" is fine", it's just not a Jurassic Park poster so much as a generic dinosaur-themed poster.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mister Chief posted:

I don't understand why he's drawn the T-Rex to look nothing like the one in the film and a burn victim.

I mean, it's a nice drawing of a Dinosaur, but it's not Jurassic Park.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mondo needs to stop releasing Jurassic Park posters and finish the poster series they have already started, like Ghibli. I mean really,

do we need

yet another

poster from this film?

Those are all from Mondo, all in 2012.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm going to take a swing in the dark here and guess that nerds still loving love Jurassic Park and people both want to create these posters and purchase them. Not taking away from Jurassic Park as it's a favorite of mine as well but I'd say they're a slam dunk on both ends from Mondo regardless of how good the actual poster is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sirotan posted:

Those are all from Mondo, all in 2012.

You know what annoys me about this poster?

The size of the iconic gates and the T-Rex is loving tiny. Despite being in the foreground Alan looks big enough to stand equal to them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's really irritating, because if they'd scaled it right, and had the gates at their proper prominence, that could have been a really awesome poster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yodzilla posted:

I'm going to take a swing in the dark here and guess that nerds still loving love Jurassic Park and people both want to create these posters and purchase them. Not taking away from Jurassic Park as it's a favorite of mine as well but I'd say they're a slam dunk on both ends from Mondo regardless of how good the actual poster is.

Mondo could wipe their bottoms on a sheet of A3 and advertise it as a movie poster and hipsters would still buy it out in less than an hour. In some cases to be found in this thread, it's arguable that they have.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
As a theme park nerd, I really like the Mondo poster that homages the Disneyland posters. Of course, it doesn't fit the kind of advertisment that Hammond uses in the films (which is far colder and less inviting) but it's a nice thought and the executed it well.

I also don't see the loving problem with the new one. "It's not Jurassic Park." is some seriously whiny bullshit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If you're making an alt Jurassic Park poster that isn't some abstract version of a man being eaten off of a toilet, you are doing it wrong.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yodzilla posted:

I never said I didn't understand why they are releasing these. It's an obvious pander/money grab which is becoming more obvious as time goes by. Now I may be biased, as I own a few posters they've released, but I feel like the quality is starting to tank compared to previous years. That Ken Taylor poster is poo poo and they recently released a poster which I think is ugly as sin:

I mean, what the gently caress.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Geekboy posted:

I've basically started to hate all of these secondary market posters.

The whole concept irritates me, because why would I buy something mocked up as the film's poster when it has no actual place in its promotional history? You're not buying the movie's poster, you're buying "Hey guys what if this was the movie's poster?". It's masturbatory and it's presumptuous on the part of the artist, and that's before you even get into the half-assed minimalism and painful attempts to be Saul Bass.

I buy art prints, and maybe I'd buy an actual poster from a film, but I will never ever buy any print in this asinine format.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't realise there was another Parker film coming out.

It's actually the first Parker film in the sense that it's the first time the Westlake estate has allowed a studio to use the name Parker--usually he's Porter, Macklin, or some other facsimile.

Unfortunately, the chickenshit production appears to have capitulated yet again, softening Parker and turning him into some kind of criminal with a "code." (Thanks, Dexter.) The Parker of the novels is a motherfucker who will shoot a teenager if he thinks the kid will cause him trouble, or nonchalantly step over the body of an innocent women he just accidentally choked to death.

I have a feeling we don't be seeing those scenes in the film.

On the plus side, accent aside, Statham is a pretty perfect embodiment of the character in tone and presence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

The whole concept irritates me, because why would I buy something mocked up as the film's poster when it has no actual place in its promotional history?

Exactly. I used to have a couple of movie posters on my wall, but I didn't buy them for the art. I bought them because they reminded me of the movie and of cinemas. Fake posters don't, can't do that because they lack all resonance. You don't buy them because you love cinema, you just want something that looks cool. It's style over substance and I have no patience for it, sorry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

It's actually the first Parker film in the sense that it's the first time the Westlake estate has allowed a studio to use the name Parker--usually he's Porter, Macklin, or some other facsimile.

Unfortunately, the chickenshit production appears to have capitulated yet again, softening Parker and turning him into some kind of criminal with a "code." (Thanks, Dexter.) The Parker of the novels is a motherfucker who will shoot a teenager if he thinks the kid will cause him trouble, or nonchalantly step over the body of an innocent women he just accidentally choked to death.

I have a feeling we don't be seeing those scenes in the film.

On the plus side, accent aside, Statham is a pretty perfect embodiment of the character in tone and presence.

Payback was a pretty awesome movie. They should just make a sequel to Payback.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Any Mel Gibson movie where he's a crazy rear end in a top hat is pretty great. Then we found out why. Welp.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

So is it an extension of the "last" exorcism in the previous film or is it an all new exorcism, because there surely can't be TWO last exorcisms!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cacator posted:

So is it an extension of the "last" exorcism in the previous film or is it an all new exorcism, because there surely can't be TWO last exorcisms!

Prison Break: Season 5

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

The tag line should be "This time we mean it". Pretty cool poster though.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Cacator posted:

Final Fantasy XIII - or better yet, Final Fantasy X-2 :v:

edit: now I see there is a xIII-2, making the bestworst of both worlds.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 3, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JoeRules posted:

Final Fantasy XIII - or better yet, Final Fantasy X-2 :v:

edit: now I see there is a xIII-2, making the bestworst of both worlds.

Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns is the new one, you're behind.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cacator posted:

"Last" meaning most recent, as in "the devil done possessed me last week".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jedit posted:

You don't buy them because you love cinema, you just want something that looks cool. It's style over substance and I have no patience for it, sorry.

What if they're posters that were actually used as promotion, but they're from another country like those Polish posters that were circulating around the internet? I have this on my wall:

I loved "Help!", and I thought the design of this poster was pretty cool so I bought it and displayed it. (Well, by "it" I mean a print-out by a bootlegger, but it's decent quality.)

My point is that you can have a poster that's way outside the standard design of the movie's actual poster (which usually doesn't differ much from country-to-country), and still buy it to convey the fact you like a certain movie. You can have style and substance together.

And what about the inverse? What if you love a movie but the poster is embarrassingly ugly?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns is the new one, you're behind.

Actually it's Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Not even making GBS threads you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

What if they're posters that were actually used as promotion, but they're from another country like those Polish posters that were circulating around the internet? I have this on my wall:

I loved "Help!", and I thought the design of this poster was pretty cool so I bought it and displayed it. (Well, by "it" I mean a print-out by a bootlegger, but it's decent quality.)

My point is that you can have a poster that's way outside the standard design of the movie's actual poster (which usually doesn't differ much from country-to-country), and still buy it to convey the fact you like a certain movie. You can have style and substance together.

And what about the inverse? What if you love a movie but the poster is embarrassingly ugly?

There are more movies to love than I have wall space. I get to choose the best.

Regarding posters from other territories: I have no problem with those. It may be a bit avant-garde to hang them up just because, but at least they're connected to the movie in a real way. Hanging your Polish poster says "I like this movie, here's how they advertised it in Poland." Hanging up a Mondo says "I like this movie, this cost me $80 and there's only 500 of them".

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Lance Streetman posted:

Actually it's Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Not even making GBS threads you.

Square is not afraid to look foolish...

They often revel in it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A lotta dudes are gonna be happy to get more information about how the first one ended, but drat I thought it had a perfect ending so this annoys me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cacator posted:

Have you ever heard of a little horror series called Final Destination?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I love it, because now "Last" means "Previous" instead of "Final."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hewlett posted:

I love it, because now "Last" means "Previous" instead of "Final."

It opens with all the characters from one in their car on the way home.
"Man, that Last Exorcism sure was tough!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't realise there was another Parker film coming out.

Parking seems like a waste of The Transporter's skills.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Parking seems like a waste of The Transporter's skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nOxdKcqC_I

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It was called the Last Exorcism because it was the last exorcism that Cotton Marcus was going to do before giving up the craft, and even then he was doing it to show how it was all a bunch of smoke and mirrors. And it did wind up being his last exorcism :laugh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Have you ever heard of a little horror series called Final Destination?

The point of those movies is that death is the final destination for each of us. There's as many final destinations as there are people.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Also, when you go there, you can't bring any items with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It opens with all the characters from one in their car on the way home.
"Man, that Last Exorcism sure was tough!"

"I really hated that Last Exorcism Two!"