Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

delpheye posted:

Also, do adult checking leagues exist? I thought as a matter of policy, every adult league was technically "no checking."

Someone once told me that in the higher divisions is kinda just let go because they both know how to give and take a hit a lot better (because they've played college and up).

Still, most everyone who plays adult rec leagues have "real jobs" that they have to worry about, so "no checking" is generally a good rule to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gio posted:

These kinda snarky comments are getting annoying and unnecessary.

Sorry for offending your delicate sensibilities. Let me be a little more clear.

You are not body checking someone in that video so thus, a body checking penalty should not be called on you.

As the person who you are defending has the puck in that video, interference is not applicable.

As you only have one hand on your stick and are not using it against the players body, or knocking them over with your hand, or shoving them, no sort of roughing or cross checking will be called.

As you're not using your hand as the primary means for impeding a player, are not grabbing at them and you have position on them, holding is not applicable.

As you're not using your stick to shove at the puck and mistakenly catching their skates, a tripping penalty is not applicable.

As you're not punching the player with your free hand and your gloves remain on, a misconduct or fighting penalty should not be called.

Sorry for not coming off more pedantic in my earlier post. I think that'll cover it so we're abundantly clear.

If you watch the video it's pretty clear it's not a penalty from anyone who's seen an adult game. It's also from a site called hockeytutorials.com, so it's a pretty safe assumption that they're not going to be teaching you how to get penalties called on you.

The distinction between no contact and no checking is actually a large point of contention in many games. How often do you hear guys chirping about being bodied/roughed up a little without a call? I'd wager pretty often. Problem is that it's no checking, not no contact. No contact would make the sport pretty much impossible at anything above a shinny level.

I think this is an important distinction to make for a player like xzzy who is still getting his feet in the game and starting out in leagues -- he should not be afraid of body contact. He just can't use it as the primary means of freeing up the puck. And he shouldn't be scared of touching another player. That's how the game is played.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ :lol:

Hey sellouts, I can't remember if I asked you this already, but how is the fit from the Highstick jerseys? They don't run small like the Tron ones do they?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

You are not body checking someone in that video so thus, a body checking penalty should not be called on you.

As the person who you are defending has the puck in that video, interference is not applicable.

As you only have one hand on your stick and are not using it against the players body, or knocking them over with your hand, or shoving them, no sort of roughing or cross checking will be called.

As you're not using your hand as the primary means for impeding a player, are not grabbing at them and you have position on them, holding is not applicable.

As you're not using your stick to shove at the puck and mistakenly catching their skates, a tripping penalty is not applicable.

As you're not punching the player with your free hand and your gloves remain on, a misconduct or fighting penalty should not be called.

Sorry for not coming off more pedantic in my earlier post. I think that'll cover it so we're abundantly clear.

If you watch the video it's pretty clear it's not a penalty from anyone who's seen an adult game. It's also from a site called hockeytutorials.com, so it's a pretty safe assumption that they're not going to be teaching you how to get penalties called on you.

The distinction between no contact and no checking is actually a large point of contention in many games. How often do you hear guys chirping about being bodied/roughed up a little without a call? I'd wager pretty often. Problem is that it's no checking, not no contact. No contact would make the sport pretty much impossible at anything above a shinny level.

I think this is an important distinction to make for a player like xzzy who is still getting his feet in the game and starting out in leagues -- he should not be afraid of body contact. He just can't use it as the primary means of freeing up the puck. And he shouldn't be scared of touching another player. That's how the game is played.

This is very helpful, thank you sellouts.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think we're talking about the AK jerseys? That's what I got from highstick (via blankhockeyjerseys) recently. I think that's what last year's pond hockey jerseys are too but they have a Highstick.com patch sewn over that logo. But 99.9% sure they are.

The L AK jerseys fit very true to RBK Edge L and (recent) CCM L. AK is probably a less flattering cut than the Edge L but generally the same. CCM L appears to be almost exactly the same.

The XL AK jersey seems much bigger than the XL CCM I have, but that jersey is ~14 years old and always fit kinda weird because even with massive shoulderpads I'm not an XL. I would think any recent XL CCM or RBK Edge would fit similar.

I can take pics of the XL if there's a question but I'd feel safe ordering true to recent CCM / RBK Edge sizing.

When is your tournament?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yup, the AK jerseys (http://www.highstick.com/h550b-sewn.aspx) Nah, you don't need to take more pictures. I appreciate it though.

Tournament is Presidents Day weekend. I plan on getting the order in this week.

Speaking of, want to join? We just had 2 people drop today :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

People always drop. This year fortunately the only people that have dropped on my team have been non players. I hope they paid in full so you're not stuck with a lot of additional fees.

I'd love to but my tournament is 3 weeks earlier and I've got a ton of work around that time. Also getting married in May.

However I looked at your schedule: 1:00pm-9:00pm: Day 1 - Schlitz Hook, Line and Drinker Ice Fishing contest -- I don't know what this is or what this really means but it sounds loving awesome.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Heres something that happened to me last week, perhaps one of you guys can help me out:

Going after a player with possession of the puck near the boards. As I come in trying to get the puck on the boards, he turns away and with his free hand, tucks my stick under his elbow. Not wanting to get called for a hook, I let go of the stick as he gains a step or two of separation. He then drops my stick to the ice and makes a pass to a teammate, which I am now unable to defend.

Ref was watching made no call, and I'm not sure I deserved one. The question is what could I have done instead? Wrench the stick back?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

People always drop. This year fortunately the only people that have dropped on my team have been non players. I hope they paid in full so you're not stuck with a lot of additional fees.

I'd love to but my tournament is 3 weeks earlier and I've got a ton of work around that time. Also getting married in May.

However I looked at your schedule: 1:00pm-9:00pm: Day 1 - Schlitz Hook, Line and Drinker Ice Fishing contest -- I don't know what this is or what this really means but it sounds loving awesome.

We're trying to find other people, but the entry fee is something cool like $90/person, so if we have to eat the costs of a missing person, it's not too big of a deal.

Let's be honest, we really only care about anything having to do with beer and getting away from our SOs for that weekend. I don't really even care about the hockey game that we will get murdered at. We just want some nice jerseys and free PBR out of it.

Although, there's one team that everyone hates at our rink who is also forming a team. Maybe we'll actually try against them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Let me know if you still need people come time for the tourney. I'd be down to drive up from Denver.

(Offer not valid on powder days)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

Sorry for not coming off more pedantic in my earlier post...
Do y'all remember that three page discussion where one guy was insisting that instead of pushing forwards around the crease, defensemen should just stick lift instead? That is what happens when people use the term "non-contact league". And it's not their fault, I mean, what can you possibly expect if you're told a league is non-contact?

So, it's really not pedantic at all. Yes, it is a minor detail, but just because it's minor doesn't mean it isn't important. It's not correction for the sake of correction; it's more than just correcting a word, it's correcting someone's perception of the game and their expectations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

I didnt ask you to be pedantic. I asked you to not be a loving dick. Sorry I didnt make that abundantly clear.

e: because for all the dumb questions that are asked here--my own included--making GBS threads on other posters spoils the good mood here infinitely more. less confrontation, more peace, love and all that good stuff.

Gio fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 3, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Has anyone ordered jerseys from All For Fan before? I'm considering ordering a red Team Norway jersey to wear in net. The site seems legitimate from what I can tell, but I haven't looked into it too thoroughly. Are there any other good sources for European or national team jerseys? I know that Ice Jerseys has some international jerseys, but they have a pretty limited selection.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

Do y'all remember that three page discussion where one guy was insisting that instead of pushing forwards around the crease, defensemen should just stick lift instead? That is what happens when people use the term "non-contact league". And it's not their fault, I mean, what can you possibly expect if you're told a league is non-contact?

So, it's really not pedantic at all. Yes, it is a minor detail, but just because it's minor doesn't mean it isn't important. It's not correction for the sake of correction; it's more than just correcting a word, it's correcting someone's perception of the game and their expectations.

Honestly, this varies so much from league to league and from ref to ref that it's difficult to discuss on a forum. People should ease up on the opinion of what "no check" really means. To wit, I've seen guys get called for a soft bump on the boards (D league), and I've seen full on Rob Blake style hip checks get a chuckle from the ref (A league). Discussing contact without context is what causes these kinds of disagreements here.

For someone learning the game, I think it's probably best to be tolerant of their ignorance when it comes to what "no check" means. I've seen the alternative - it's a bunch of 47 year old never-evers cross checking each other in the throat because, "Hey, this is hockey! No-check doesn't mean no contact! Herp derp, let's get drunk and fight in the parking lot!"

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 3, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

coldwind posted:

There was virtually no purposeful contact in both of the leagues I played in since September and anyone who threw a hit got penalized for it, so :words:

I still would rather play in a league where guys are looking to skate, pass and shoot rather than get their jollies by wrestling in the crease but that's far from unanimous.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We're trying to find other people, but the entry fee is something cool like $90/person, so if we have to eat the costs of a missing person, it's not too big of a deal.

Let's be honest, we really only care about anything having to do with beer and getting away from our SOs for that weekend. I don't really even care about the hockey game that we will get murdered at. We just want some nice jerseys and free PBR out of it.

Although, there's one team that everyone hates at our rink who is also forming a team. Maybe we'll actually try against them.

Wheres the tourney?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gio posted:

I didnt ask you to be pedantic. I asked you to not be a loving dick. Sorry I didnt make that abundantly clear.

e: because for all the dumb questions that are asked here--my own included--making GBS threads on other posters spoils the good mood here infinitely more. less confrontation, more peace, love and all that good stuff.

I'm going to avoid being a loving dick to you and I don't think you ask dumb questions or anything. I don't think anyone in this thread asks dumb questions. I'm actually surprised you give a poo poo about a slightly terse and concise answer that you know is ultimately correct about a video from a pretty credible, well produced site. I didn't call the guy an idiot or a terrible person or player or even implied any of it. I'm the biggest proponent in the thread of encouraging xzzy to join a league and getting game experience first hand. He cares a ton, he just needs to go mix it up and make some mistakes.

eXXon posted:

There was virtually no purposeful contact in both of the leagues I played in since September and anyone who threw a hit got penalized for it, so :words:

I still would rather play in a league where guys are looking to skate, pass and shoot rather than get their jollies by wrestling in the crease but that's far from unanimous.

In the context of this, the "contact" being talked about was a free hand potentially into the chest of an approaching player during a poke check. And not a shove...

This isn't people lowering the boom in any capacity. It's playing a poke check and preparing yourself for some ancillary contact that might happen if you both make similar moves at the same time.

D C posted:

Wheres the tourney
http://coloradopondhockey.com/ I think that's the site.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Gio posted:

I'm in. :)

edit: it's not upside down in preview. too bad I'm retarded. :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^^ Weird. That image appears right-side-up when I view this thread on my iPhone, but it's upside-down on my MacBook. :iiam:

edit: vvv strange that Safari doesn't render it right-side-up. This kind of thing never would have happened when Steve was in charge!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 3, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a software thing. Orientation information is stored in the file, but not all image rendering libraries pay attention to it.

On my mac, for example, finder and preview render the image correctly. Chrome displays it upside-down.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

Wheres the tourney?

Bingo VV

I was mostly joking. I'm sure we'll be able to dig up a couple people from our teams. From what I've gathered from the thread, you'd probably be a few skill levels over us ;) We're going to get straight-up murdered.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I've been considering ditching league play for tournaments and pickup. Talked to a few people who go to more tourneys than I do(which is zero) who say competition levels are a joke. Lots of teams register several divisions lower just to come home with trophies. As in, recent division I college players showing up and playing in C/D to skate circles around some rec league dudes who just wanted to get away for the weekend.

Anyone know how much, if any truth there is to that? I really like the idea of playing a bunch of games over the course of a weekend and possibly coming home with something to show for it but not if I'm going to be skating against the Miami U version of Cindy Crosby and coming home frustrated. Playing teams above your skill level is essential for getting better but there's a hard ceiling for that business.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^ I've basically done this at this point and I am much happier because of it. BUT the women's competition levels at tournaments seem to be a lot more well defined and teams within divisions evenly matched, even on a national basis, than the co-ed/men's so take that with a grain of salt.

Bingo VV

I was mostly joking. I'm sure we'll be able to dig up a couple people from our teams. From what I've gathered from the thread, you'd probably be a few skill levels over us ;) We're going to get straight-up murdered.

I'd play with you guys if it were in a time I could make it.

And I guess you guys know what phone and OS I use now, hah.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 3, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

I've been considering ditching league play for tournaments and pickup. Talked to a few people who go to more tourneys than I do(which is zero) who say competition levels are a joke. Lots of teams register several divisions lower just to come home with trophies. As in, recent division I college players showing up and playing in C/D to skate circles around some rec league dudes who just wanted to get away for the weekend.

Anyone know how much, if any truth there is to that? I really like the idea of playing a bunch of games over the course of a weekend and possibly coming home with something to show for it but not if I'm going to be skating against the Miami U version of Cindy Crosby and coming home frustrated. Playing teams above your skill level is essential for getting better but there's a hard ceiling for that business.

Mostly true.

If you can substitute regular pickup for league play, awesome. I couldn't do that regularly enough and needed the regular skates to keep up that aspect of my conditioning. Pickups just varied too much or were too inconvenient. I needed the structure/schedule of regular league play.

If you can't, I'd be wary of not being in game shape/game mindset and going into a tournament. I'd also be worried about going into a tournament playing with guys who you don't play with regularly. You will be going against guys that grew up together or play a lot together and that chemistry makes them play above their level. Aside from sandbagging in lower divisions.

Tournaments also can have shorter periods in order to get in more games which I don't like as well, but maybe you'll be more into it.

Also putting together a team for a tournament is hard. Everyone has an issue or is a deadbeat or bails a lot. If you have a regular crew that's awesome but only playing hockey 2-3 times a year for a weekend at a time is inconvenient and unrealistic to me, not to mention just not enough hockey. Without a couple of leagues I don't know where I would cobble together enough players to put together a team.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

sellouts posted:

Mostly true.

If you can substitute regular pickup for league play, awesome. I couldn't do that regularly enough and needed the regular skates to keep up that aspect of my conditioning. Pickups just varied too much or were too inconvenient. I needed the structure/schedule of regular league play.

If you can't, I'd be wary of not being in game shape/game mindset and going into a tournament. I'd also be worried about going into a tournament playing with guys who you don't play with regularly. You will be going against guys that grew up together or play a lot together and that chemistry makes them play above their level. Aside from sandbagging in lower divisions.

Tournaments also can have shorter periods in order to get in more games which I don't like as well, but maybe you'll be more into it.

Also putting together a team for a tournament is hard. Everyone has an issue or is a deadbeat or bails a lot. If you have a regular crew that's awesome but only playing hockey 2-3 times a year for a weekend at a time is inconvenient and unrealistic to me, not to mention just not enough hockey. Without a couple of leagues I don't know where I would cobble together enough players to put together a team.

All good points.

My plan is to sub league play for pickup and play in tournaments as often as I can. Around here there seems to be one a month(with various rules. ironman has always been my favorite) and team fees aren't out of control. I could pay $10 a couple nights a week for pickup at one of 3 rinks within 20 miles, and tournaments end up around $100 or less per person which makes it cheaper than leagues and I don't have to deal with 30 games of the same poo poo refs, team drama, opposing team drama, and league management ineptitude.

Thankfully I won't have anything to do with putting teams together. The idea came to me when I realized I was getting called regularly to sub for teams with zero notice. I know 2-3 groups of players regularly enter tourneys that almost always have a need for an extra skater or even more, a reliable skater that won't back out the day before. In a perfect world, I get in with 10 solid people and make tournament hockey my thing. Trading 30 game seasons with broken rosters, unknown schedules, and whiners who can't keep up demanding ice time with last minute cancels, demanding game schedules, and fewer weeknights with 11:00pm games seems good to me.

You have me second guessing myself regarding game structure. Pickup is nice but you're right, it's no substitute for a game with a score. Maybe I just need to find some new DFW people to skate with and my real problem is with the people I've been playing with for years. My current team has gotten a reputation at just about every rink we've played at and it's gotten past the point of being hilarious and novel.

Decisions! gently caress them!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I'd play with you guys if it were in a time I could make it.

Make it happen! School is overrated anyway.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

eXXon posted:

aka "a league without defense."

All of us defensemen will be happy to not wrestle you forwards in the crease when all you forwards promise never to lift the puck when shooting.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

eXXon posted:

You're one of those forwards who camps in front of the goalie and then gets all pissed off when the goaltender pushes you out of the way, aren't you?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

You're one of those forwards who camps in front of the goalie and then gets all pissed off when the goaltender pushes you out of the way, aren't you?

I'm torn between replying with "no, that rarely ever happens to anyone in games I play" and asking you if you're one of those defensemen who spazzes out and crosschecks anyone within 20 feet of the net.

coldwind posted:

aka "a league without defense."

All of us defensemen will be happy to not wrestle you forwards in the crease when all you forwards promise never to lift the puck when shooting.

Cool, it's the one of these things is not like the other game.

I'll bite, what fraction of plays/shifts would you say that you end up playing the body rather than the puck?

sellouts posted:

In the context of this, the "contact" being talked about was a free hand potentially into the chest of an approaching player during a poke check. And not a shove...

This isn't people lowering the boom in any capacity. It's playing a poke check and preparing yourself for some ancillary contact that might happen if you both make similar moves at the same time.

I wasn't referring to that video specifically, it was the guy I quoted who brought up the previous discussion.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Got it. Well, cool!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

eXXon posted:

I'm torn between replying with "no, that rarely ever happens to anyone in games I play" and asking you if you're one of those defensemen who spazzes out and crosschecks anyone within 20 feet of the net.

He's the goalie who freaks out at anyone inside the hash marks. Fuckin tenders.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Incidentally, I was looking up my rec league's relatively short rule list and found this:

quote:

When a penalty is called ... blah blah ...
No player from the penalized team may make a change during a stoppage in play: All substitutions by the short handed team must be done on the fly.

... which I have never heard anyone mention, let alone seen enforced in nearly 3 years. :psyduck: Is this like an enhanced version of the NHL's no change on a penalty call rule or meant to be just the NHL rule?

Also is there some standardized division system in US rec leagues because I keep seeing posts by people about bronze level or letter name divisions and have no idea if they're supposed to have some well understood meaning.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

eXXon posted:

Cool, it's the one of these things is not like the other game.

I'll bite, what fraction of plays/shifts would you say that you end up playing the body rather than the puck?
You think that while playing defense, players shouldn't take the optimal action because you don't like it. You think defensemen should take a non-optimal action to better accommodate the style of play you like. Well, I like deking better than shooting, so I think nobody should lift the puck so that they're forced to make incredible dekes to score.

I don't know what fraction of shifts I play the body, maybe one fourth? It depends on what the other team is doing. When the opposing D-man is winding up at the point, I will play the body on a forward who has parked himself in front of the net. If my opponent isn't parking forwards in front of the net (usually the teams that aren't so good), well then I don't play the body so much.

EDIT: Also, if my goalie has held the puck and you are standing pretty close, I will get in between you and goalie. Sometimes I have to do a little pushing to get in, I guess that might be considered playing the body. And if you whack at the pads, I'll get a little more forceful about it.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 4, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Make it happen! School is overrated anyway.

When does the schedule come out?

There's a chance that I'd be able to ditch out early that Friday (the 15th) but I have an exam in the morning so I can't skip all day.

edit: There's a women's division too, I should actually see if I could get a Pandora team together.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 4, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

He's the goalie who freaks out at anyone inside the hash marks. Fuckin tenders.

Bradf0rd is like a PG-rated Ron Hextall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

Sounds about as pointless as a PG rated Die Hard movie. :colbert:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yippee ki yay, Mr. Falcon.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Still on the fence about the tournament...which is funny because it's 20 minutes from my apartment. I am going to a concert in Denver the night before and assuming the first day doesn't start *too* early I'll talk to my mates and DangerLlama about putting together a roster.

Y'all sea-level kids better bring an extra set of lungs.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

Hey, I hit them only after I get blatantly slashed. Also, some of the things I've been known to yell put me at least at a PG-13. :colbert:

eXXon posted:

I only shove forwards who camp out in front of me. I only trip forwards who bump into me in the crease. I have rules and standards, thank you very much.

coldwind posted:

EDIT: Also, if my goalie has held the puck and you are standing pretty close, I will get in between you and goalie. Sometimes I have to do a little pushing to get in, I guess that might be considered playing the body. And if you whack at the pads, I'll get a little more forceful about it.

The best defensemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Still on the fence about the tournament...which is funny because it's 20 minutes from my apartment. I am going to a concert in Denver the night before and assuming the first day doesn't start *too* early I'll talk to my mates and DangerLlama about putting together a roster.

Y'all sea-level kids better bring an extra set of lungs.

:ssh: It's important that visitors drink several beers and run around a bunch before a game...you know, to get warmed up.

Turns out my wife and son are going to be out of town, so I'm pretty much free that weekend.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 4, 2013