Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

:suicide:

Now that's out of the way, since this obit mirrors the torment that is the LP for Smasher, so too must Grace must pay in A, Hell! I don't care for your eschatological differences, that selection means hell!

Swap Carter in for Berra for the week, and I assume the AI will rest players as necessary with defensive replacements for the tired people. Zambrano's a wreck so Dolf Luque is my only hope in LR.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Grinnblade posted:

C. gently caress YOUR BELIEF SYSTEMS

Potential Expansion Cup Owners!

Just so you're aware, I'll be running things much like cbx ran ECVII injury-wise, which is to say every injury under 6 days will be played through to the best of Mogul AI's ability, and anything over that time will be noted, erased, and reinstated at the start of the next month so that you will have the ability to make changes that may or may not be less retarded than what Mogul's AI wants to do.

Other than that, I'll assume most of you know the drill. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or in #thesuperleague on irc.synirc.net.

Looking forward to it. As for the obit Mark Grace is forever bound to the Super-League. he cannot escape this cycle and will thus be reborn as long as the Super-League exists. B

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Forgot to vote, too. C

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Wait until tomorrow before asking for these changes, I haven't simmed the Dynamo League since yesterday.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
B for the obit, Mark Grace doesn't get out of our clutches that easily

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Smasher, are the rolls on the drafted players due to Mogul or did you set them?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

Smasher, are the rolls on the drafted players due to Mogul or did you set them?

Mogul.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Upon further review, the call on the field is reversed. After a discussion with Smasher, doing injuries the way I mentioned is too much work for way too little return as the EC is more of a tune-up than a competition. Worst case scenario you see if your backups can handle things if things go south.

edit: yes I know that's a football thing, :thejoke:

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 4, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for A just to see Grace take over hell.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

It appears I have quite a bit of business to take care of.

First, roster transactions:
  • Seeing no better option, The Losers select second baseman 1993 Roberto Alomar. For too long my infield defense has been an utter travesty so hopefully he can reverse that trend and provide some offense to boot.
  • To make room on the roster for Alomar, I'm sending down Pete Rose.
  • To replace the injured Arthur Rhodes, call up Roberto Hernandez.

Secondly, new lineups to reflect the addition of Alomar:
vs RHP
3B Frisch
LF Speaker
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
RF Robinson
SS Cronin
C Torre/Martinez
2B Alomar
P Pitcher

vs LHP
LF Speaker
SS Cronin
RF Robinson
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
C Torre/Martinez
3B Youkilis
2B Frisch
P Pitcher

Finally, voting B on the obit story.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Cultists Draft the Mystery Box

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

GOOGLE DOC FOR THE DRAFT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhZIXpc5ryLodE5JM1FmZmhQQzlVVnBaQWdXVnZLbFE

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Cultists Draft the Mystery Box

Well, Cthulhu, you could keep the Mystery Box....

...or you could trade it for the DOUBLE Mystery Box!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
drat you Cthulhu. drat you!

e: Also drat my rotation, Barry Bonds's knees, my upcoming schedule, Mogul rolling 90 on Glavine, etc, etc.

e2: Now that Simmons and the Box are both gone, I'm no longer interested in trading up. Instead, I'd like to trade down. Anybody want to offer me a reliever who's better than Dick Hall? Or anything else of value, really.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 4, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Well, Cthulhu, you could keep the Mystery Box....

...or you could trade it for the DOUBLE Mystery Box!

Wait, what? Is this two mystery boxes? Can both of them man the infield?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I will trade you Felix Hernandez for the box because an empty box with its open end towards the batters box would lead my team in defense by a wide margin

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Wait, what? Is this two mystery boxes? Can both of them man the infield?

The unopened boxes probably field better than most deadball infielders. You can't lose!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Ugh, you jerks took all the good pitchers. AND the mystery box.

Goddammit, I guess I'll take '09 Josh Johnson. He's probably an upgrade over one of my mediocre deadballers. Probably.

e: Pitching staff changes reflected here

gardenald fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 4, 2013

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'll take 1910 Shoeless Joe.

Put him in the lineup in Crawford's spot and send Jimmie Hall to the minors

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

Call Up McGwire and put him at first

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Well well well, just over two months in and we're looking to be in a better position. 2 games back of Rockford because we could only win, not sweep, but hey. Not the end of the world. Morgan is repaying my leadoff faith in spades, and Musial is looking like a top 5-8 hitter in the DL. One change to make elsewhere while the new rotation takes form, please: swap LHP Tom Hall out and roll the dice on RHP John D'Acquisto in his relief spot. In other news, I'll vote B, just to see if we can avoid getting caught in a week-long hostage situation again.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

New line-up to include Ron Santo:

1. C Hartnett
2. DH Williams
3. CF Mantle
4. 1B Vaughn
5. 3B Santo
6. 2B Valentin
7. SS Garciaparra
8. LF Piersall
9. RF Maris

Bench:
C Howard
IF Poor Snuffy
3B Malzone
OF Keller
OF Jensen

Send any spares to the minors/land of make-believe. The pitching orders, regarding the return of Ford and Saberhagen, remain the same as before .

Obit vote: C

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Let's continue the grim march, and not think too hard about what's ahead of us.

Send down Giles and reinstitute the Brett/Schmidt platoon at first. DL Stieb and replace him with Hershiser.

B. "When Gracie arrives in heaven, St. Peter he will tell: one more Cub reporting, I've served my time in Hell."

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Realizing my cunning plan might as well happen in the second round as the first:

The Fukuoka Finger-Bangers select:

40-year-old Tyrus Cobb, for sentimental reasons.

Put Edgar Martinez back at third, please.

Voting A.

mrnoun and the Landers on the clock.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Well, Robin Yount seems to be not-awful this time, and I do have a legion of stopgaps, so...I guess Dihigo should remain a pitcher.

Replace Matt Thornton with Ted Wilks, and rest Berkman with JD Drew for the week.

B!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Ugh. Injuries. Guess I have to just stick guys in and pray. Spreadsheet is updated: Glavine comes up to replace Bender, Dykstra for Bonds, the lineup shifts around as I cry, and I shuffle the deck chairs at the back of my rotation/bullpen.

Note: please make sure that Claude Hendrix is still set as my next pitcher. My rotation this week should go Hendrix -> Radbourn -> Glavine -> Lolich -> Holtzman -> Hendrix.

e: Just want to put out there again: Smasher, would it be easier for your if I copy/pasted all my stuff every week? I had envisioned the spreadsheet as a place that you could just check every time, and keep me from having to clutter the thread with posts like this, but it's not really working out that way much. So whatever's best for you, Smasher.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 4, 2013

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I was kinda hoping marauder would take Reggie so I wouldn't have to.

The Luna Landers select 1970 Reggie Jackson.

The Gumshoes are on the clock.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
We'll take 2011 Chase Utley, since we have a bunch of other Phillies on the team already. He also sounds like a wealthy client that might hire Det. Don Slaught, perhaps to find out what happened to his knees.

I admit this assumes I can move Bobby Grich to third.

ForeverBWFC and the Eazy W's are on the clock.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Was going to go for the box, but Cthullu smashed my dreams. We're going for 79 Sparky Lyle to fix the left-handed hole in our bullpen and also because "Sparky" is an adorable name! Bring him in at Short Relief for now to replace Smith, who goes to the minors for now. Also, B for the obit.

EDIT: Unicorns are on the clock!

ForeverBWFC fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 4, 2013

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

UZworm posted:

All right, first of all, rotation change: send Hooks Dauss down to AAA and replace him fifth in the lineup with 2011 Cole Hamels. Burn Steve Busby at the stake.

New rotation:
SP1 Ed Walsh (R)
SP2 Pete Alexander (R)
SP3 Frank Smith (R)
SP4 Doc White (L)
SP5 Cole Hamels (L)

And it's back to my old lineup as well:

RF Harry Heilmann
CF Ty Cobb
LF Josh Hamilton
SS Joe Cronin
1B Todd Helton
3B Scott Rolen
C Darrell Porter
2B Joe Morgan
P --

This

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Dynamo League Week 11 Injury Report

Florida Oranges
Alan Trammell (SS) (Insane in the Membrane) - 10 days

Rockford Losers
Frankie Frisch (2B) (Ran away from home after you drafted Roberto Alomar) - 18 days

Web 2.0 Bloggers
Ken Holtzman (SP) (Injury to be named later...) - 11 days

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hey, does anyone out there have a lefty platoon/backup CF they'd like to part with for a package including '93 Lenny Dykstra? Even a straight up swap, if you've got an equivalent TTO-type hitter and would rather employ a contact/speed dude. Alas, my park cannot support someone with his skillset on the big half of a platoon.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

Mornacale posted:

Hey, does anyone out there have a lefty platoon/backup CF they'd like to part with for a package including '93 Lenny Dykstra? Even a straight up swap, if you've got an equivalent TTO-type hitter and would rather employ a contact/speed dude. Alas, my park cannot support someone with his skillset on the big half of a platoon.

What sort of package? Got a Lloyd Moseby who could be termed "tradeable" for the right deal...

Also, if you're in need of depth I don't really need my 2nd round pick so come and make me an offer for it!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

What timing!
Send Trammell to AAA and bring 1992 Ozzie Smith in to play SS.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 10: Slaught and Downing's Excellent Adventure

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

MASHERS ACTUALLY WIN A GAME, SMOKERS FEEL DEPRESSED

New Orleans- The South has risen again!

Although this time, instead of re-imposing slavery on their region of the country, or whatever other platform neo-Confederates might propose, this refers only to a sudden resurgence of the Mashers, and their secession from losing.

The game was tied in the bottom of the tenth when Lindy McDaniel abruptly forgot how to pitch. After walking Jeff Bagwell and Larry Doby, McDaniel was determined not to issue another walk. So he tossed an 80 mph fastball right down the middle of the plate against Matt Williams. There are many hitter who would have taken that pitch, hitters who are committed to taking pitches and working the count.

Matt Williams isn't one of them.

Williams hit the ball right over the center field fence to give the Masher a 5-2 walkoff win, continuing their recent strong play. CraigK, the owner of the Mashers as well as a renowned Zydeco musician, celebrated with his players after the game, "You know, there have been a lot of people making fun of me for being from the South. Mainly Smasher, but today I've proven that Southerners are in fact capable of running a fantasy fantasy baseball team, and you what else, I'm not going to stop there, we're only ten games back, and we've got plenty of time left in the season! And so, I guarantee you all...not y'all, 'you all', this, the Mashers are going to the playoffs, and we're going to win! We're the Saints of the Super-League, and there's not any Bounty-gate that's going to slow us down! Now let's get wasted!"

Not everyone was happy, though, Fidel Castro, former president of Cuba, and an avid Smokers' fan, had a conference call with reporters after the game, "Once again, the imperialist Yankees have conspired to deprive the people of Cuba of their rightful pride. I remember, as a young man, how the American government coddled Fulgencio Batista and gave support to his brutal regime of terror. Today, things are now different as a few Super-League teams have concentrated all of the talent in a few teams, leaving the masses without the resources to compete. But I know that the Cuban people will endure this as well, no matter how much counter-revolutionary players such as Ned Garver and Dave Kingman continue to betray us! Viva Cuba!"

Box Score

Don Slaught, P.I. posted:

It was a foggy night in Providence. Too foggy.

The old man called me into his office, and told me that I was playing in today's game. I asked him why, after all, that was Downing's job. He was the hero, the guy that had saved us all from relegation and saved the League from Bruzer. He was the guy that was supposed to lead the team and save the day, I was just a disgraced ex-cop, working as a P.I. to make ends meet.

The old man didn't like that explanation. Told me that I wasn't really a detective, that I was just a backup catcher who apparently had gotten so bored on the bench that I created a fake persona for myself to make my life seem worthwhile. What was his game? Why was he spreading these lies about. This was going to be my trickiest game yet.

I started my investigation at the nearest bar. I've often found that there's nothing like bourbon to break a case open. Five whiskeys in, I started to think about that old movie, Zero Effect. That was a good movie, but there was no way that Darrell Zero would have wasted his time like this. No, he would have adopted an ingenious disguise to get the truth. Clearly, I was moving in the wrong direction.

Two whiskeys and a fist fight with the bartender later, I was ready to put my plan into action. I returned to the ballpark and assumed the character of Don Slaught, backup catcher. The disguise worked liked a charm, right up until the ninth inning, when they decided to put the games in my hands. The Barons were leading 2-1, but we had runners on second and third, and I was at the plate. Clearly, this was part of the old man's scheme, but why? Why put me in that position, why not pull me for a pinch-hitter? After all, I had already had seven whiskeys before the game, and was having trouble standing up. Then again, that's the great thing about being a catcher, no one can tell if you're drunk when you're crouching.

But it was up to me. And I did my job, hitting a double and saving the day. Never did find out what had happened to Downing, though. I guess that's a mystery that I'm never going to know the truth of.

Box Score

Not Quite the TVIV

: So, we're at the point of the season where I've lost all faith that I know what I'm doing. Let's get on with it. Landers-Maths, let's rock!
: Mathematicians, as a rule, don't generally rock.
: This is true, but I have the feeling that this is going to lead us back to the old "rocking vs. listening to rock" discussion we've had before. Either way, the Landers are going to win the first game.

: And the Mathematicians will blank the the Landers, and so the Television Title will go to the winner of Game 3.
: And, what's this...the Mathematicians are starting Addie Joss on one day's rest?
: Wait, one day of rest? That can't be right.
: Oh, it's right...

: And Joss will get the win after only one day of rest! Maths win their second TV Title.
: The Mathematicians are living on a wing and a prayer, but it looks that that prayer was answer by Marduk, the Babylonian God of Thunder who has struck the Landers down for their impudence!

: None of that made any sense. And now the Arguments are back, and looking for their fourth Television Title against the Mathematicians.
: Unfortunately, due to bad timing, the Arguments will be resting most of their good players, so this probably won't work out too well for them.
: Maths pick up the first game, and in this four-game series, they only need to win once more in the next three games to retain the TV Title.
: Look at Snuffy! Two extra-base hits! He is the best stuffed animal brought to life by the dying tears of the last Austro-Hungarian Emperor to ever play the game!

: Maths win again, and they'll retain.
: As you know, Nick Etten was the first cyborg to play the game of baseball. He wasn't very good at it though, as the pneumatic tubes that powered the right side of his brain weren't sturdy enough to stand the rigors of the 154-game Major League schedule of the time.

: And Maths win yet again, although, looking at the subs the Arguments are using, that's not a huge surprise.
: Did you know that Charlie Keller was actually a being conjured up by the collective consciousness of Yankees fans and that, once this was revealed to them, he abruptly vanished forever?

: At least the Arguments won't go home empty handed.
: Poor Snuffy.

: An that's it. The Maths next defense is against the Phoenixes, and then we'll get either Math-Suicides or Phoenixes-Barons.

Team Statistics

Analysis

I think you probably have to pick a starting pitcher next round, too.

Analysis

Stras' ERA will continue to drop assuming that his extreme hittability is a fluke rather than a trend.

Analysis

Someday, Keith Hernandez will return to save the Smokers...someday.

Analysis

Marco Scutaro, as frustrating in the Super-League as he is in real-life.

Analysis

Here's a hint: MAKE DEREK JETER YOUR STARTING SS!

You know, I can't believe I have to tell you that! You're a loving Yankees fan! This is like the one time in your life where your instincts about Jeter are right!

Analysis

To answer your question, Grich can play 3B. He's not great at it, but he's good enough.

Analysis

The Landers aren't as overpowering as last year, but they've got enough firepower to see them through.

Analysis

Shame the good players couldn't have been in during that series, I guess.

Analysis

Six-game winning streak!

Analysis

That's one magical version of Addie Joss!

Analysis

At least your bullpen is hanging in there.

Analysis

See, things'll work out eventually.

Analysis

Up and down, as always.

Analysis

You need more than the one draft pick you've got, looks like.

Analysis

The W's were due for a down week, I guess.

Analysis

That pitching makes me sad.

Standings and Leaders

A. Heaven and Hell! - 3 votes

B. Reincarnation! - 8 votes

C. That there is no life after death (for this obit) - 3 votes

It is the future year 3671. The world is a very different different place. Earth has been depopulated by the Reds' Plague over four hundred years ago, and has still not recovered. Humanity has spread to the stars, but still remains divided by nation-states. The Three-World War has entered its fourth bloody year. The Union of Federated Worlds and Pharisee Empire have been joined by the Earth Union in their struggle against the Iridnoi Kingdom, Cassian Republic and the Alliance of Transhumanity. On the world of Rand, long occupied by the United Federated Worlds, an elderly scientist, yearning for his peoples' freedom, has created the Grace Mk. 7, the first robot with a soul.

The scientist believes that only by creating a robot with all of the creative impulses of a human can they defeat the Uni-Feds super-powered general, Mega-General X, an invulnerable tyrant who cares only for the greater glory of his homeland. Many Randian freedom fighters have tried to oppose him, and all have died horrible deaths. In the past, these massacres would have been decried by other, more progressive nations, but, in wartime, they all have larger concerns that what happens on this backwater planet. Only Grace Mk. 7 will be able to save this world from continued subjugation...

DECISION TIME

What will Grace Mk. 7 do?

A. Confront Mega-General X directly.

B. Consider alternate strategies of defeating Mega-General X.

C. Get a Space-Gyros!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
C

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

B, thinking caps on lads!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Grace really needs a gyros. C

Failures stuff:

Send down Clemens, Lombardi, and Vaughn. Call up Oswalt, Cone, and Hafner.

Set the rotation to Alexander-Maddux-Cone-Oswalt-Lester.

New lineup for now:
code:
1. RF - Berkman
2. LF - Lankford
3. 2B - Pedroia
4. DH - Ortiz
5. 3B - Youkilis
6. 1B - McCovey
7. C  - Berra
8. SS - Rollins
9. CF - Biggio

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
C!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
the bottom finally fell off didn't it

though it hasn't ever felt like it's been there with Babe loving Ruth batting below the Mendoza line

Beltran in for Granderson, Palanco back in for Guillen since Guillen sucks on offense, and switch Verlander and Bush in the pitching rotation.

B.

gently caress this lovely team

Is this team the worst in the league yet? It feels like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pungry posted:

the bottom finally fell off didn't it

though it hasn't ever felt like it's been there with Babe loving Ruth batting below the Mendoza line

Beltran in for Granderson, Palanco back in for Guillen since Guillen sucks on offense, and switch Verlander and Bush in the pitching rotation.

B.

gently caress this lovely team

Is this team the worst in the league yet? It feels like it

Seriously, hold a public auction for ted williams (or babe ruth).