Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK
I think that's actually US version of it (straight return key, not reverse-L). UK layout looks more like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

noskill posted:

I think that's actually US version of it (straight return key, not reverse-L). UK layout looks more like this:

Yeah he specified the "UK version of this", but I can vouch for the Dell, I use it at work and its a pretty nice keyboard

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is a good recommendation for a (not too expensive) backlit gaming keyboard, doesn't have to be mechanical? I've been told to avoid Razer's keyboards.

edit: Maybe this?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 25, 2012

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
I just started having trouble with my Corsair K90 - some keys 'combined' -

Here - input the set of keys on an old MS Digital Media Pro keyboard:

qazwsxedcrfvtgb

Here, hitting the exact same keys on my K90:

qazazwsxsxecdcdrfvtgb

I just tried a proper flash (which was successful) on a base port and the problem still happens, irregardless of what port or machine the keyboard is plugged into.

Any suggestions?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What best resembles the old Apple Extended keyboards in both sound and feel? Anything? The Model M is a lot louder, and is bit more key travel.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Malcolm XML posted:

Control to caps-lock is a god send when it comes to non-gaming stuff. If you arent completely tied to fps, then the hhkb is awesome, but overpriced (I'm typing on one now and the feeling of the keys easily beats a mbpr)

If you're running a unix machine you should have remapped caps lock long ago, so the hhkb spares you the effort.

If you want the same key feel but in a larger size there's the topre realforce models, but they aren't nearly as cool.

Nah screw this. Macs have it right I'm sorry to say; I remap Ctrl to the alt keys, alt to win, win onto the original Ctrl keys. And I have my caps lock as escape.

All keyboard shortcuts I use are way easier with this Mac command key like setup. I've even futzed with autohotkey so I can use ctrl-tab instead of alt-tab to switch windows.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Malcolm XML posted:

Control to caps-lock is a god send when it comes to non-gaming stuff. If you arent completely tied to fps, then the hhkb is awesome, but overpriced (I'm typing on one now and the feeling of the keys easily beats a mbpr)

If you're running a unix machine you should have remapped caps lock long ago, so the hhkb spares you the effort.

If you want the same key feel but in a larger size there's the topre realforce models, but they aren't nearly as cool.

Nah screw this. Macs have it right I'm sorry to say; I remap Ctrl to the alt keys, alt to win, win onto the original Ctrl keys. And I have my caps lock as escape.

All keyboard shortcuts I use are way easier with this Mac command key like setup. I've even futzed with autohotkey so I can use ctrl-tab instead of alt-tab to switch windows.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Philthy posted:

What best resembles the old Apple Extended keyboards in both sound and feel? Anything? The Model M is a lot louder, and is bit more key travel.

ALPS switches are a little different than anything else. Some of the current Ducky keyboards use chinese knock-offs of ALPS switches that may be similar. If you want exaclty an apple extended keyboard there's adapters to make them work with modern PCs, or there's other old ALPS keyboard that will be similar (the Dell AT101 in particular).

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I'm considering getting a new keyboard. The one I currently have is an MX 3200, originally part of a keyboard and mouse combo. The only features I use on it are the palm rest, sleep key, the calculator key (it's just a key that can launch programs) and the Windows key (I know that some keyboards don't actually have one). I'm not really fussed by any other features. I don't really know what I should be looking for or how much I'll end up spending. The OP hasn't been updated in a while so I'm not sure whether it's still relevant. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Philthy posted:

Matias makes a Mac-like keyboard that uses the same ALPS switches.
That said, it resembles the old Apple Pro Keyboard rather than the Extended.

You can always use an iMate USB - ADB adaptor and a nice retr0brite Extended!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

LordLobo posted:

I just started having trouble with my Corsair K90 - some keys 'combined' -

Here - input the set of keys on an old MS Digital Media Pro keyboard:

qazwsxedcrfvtgb

Here, hitting the exact same keys on my K90:

qazazwsxsxecdcdrfvtgb

I just tried a proper flash (which was successful) on a base port and the problem still happens, irregardless of what port or machine the keyboard is plugged into.

Any suggestions?

Tried prying the keycaps off and cleaning underneath? That really smells of multiple keys getting gummed up. If that's not the case, might be something worse going on. I'd contact Corsair - any time I've had to deal with their warranty, they've been pretty awesome. Just got my K90 for xmas, and loving it so far. So nice to type on.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Philthy posted:

Nothing beats Spacesaver Ms and of course there's plenty of ALPS switch keyboards on the second hand market. Would you mind updating to a Mattias? Apple Pro keyboards are my favorite of theirs.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Thinking about finally taking the dive into mechanical keyboards. Looking at the Ducky Shine II tenkeyless. Does anyone have any input on these boards? Didn't see anything in the last few pages...

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Red Robin Hood posted:

Thinking about finally taking the dive into mechanical keyboards. Looking at the Ducky Shine II tenkeyless. Does anyone have any input on these boards? Didn't see anything in the last few pages...

I bought mine (white backlight with red switches) about a month ago and have nothing but praise for it. The build quality feels a bit better than my Das, which is already rock solid, and the lighting is very well done, with plenty of brightness settings.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Full Circle posted:

I bought mine (white backlight with red switches) about a month ago and have nothing but praise for it. The build quality feels a bit better than my Das, which is already rock solid, and the lighting is very well done, with plenty of brightness settings.

It is so hard to tell by the youtube videos but how do the red mx compare to the brown?

I think we need a new OP...

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Red Robin Hood posted:

It is so hard to tell by the youtube videos but how do the red mx compare to the brown?

Despite what people say the lack of a tactile bump is very noticeable. As advertised, I do prefer the reds for gaming, and my accuracy is slightly higher typing with the browns. I think I prefer the browns overall though.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Having used both I have to say there is a very big difference in typing and gaming. Browns were very nice to type on because of the noticeable tactile bump. I'm not saying reds aren't fun to type on, but my heavy handedness makes me sometimes rest my fingers on the keys too hard making it spam a key like "doggggggggg."

I do really like the sound of reds though and I figure my prior mistakes with typing will get resolved with time since I only just recently switched. In terms of gaming, I never really cared since all mechanical keyboards I've used (Blues, Browns, Reds) all feel glorious when gaming. Browns feel great if you move your fingers around a lot like in SC2 or something while reds are a little more convenient when you just play FPS games. It might be the other way around for some people but it's just what I've kind of grown used to.

Honestly, if I were to recommend either (aside from Blues because I would always recommend this first) I would choose Reds. Reds have a very interesting feel and I feel like it's a good starting point.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Thanks for the advice. I think I might actually go with blues.

Is the best place to buy the Ducky through TigerImports? Where would I go about getting compatible/custom WASD keys?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I just dove down the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole myself and found this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

It's fan-fuckin-tastic. Not sure how up-to-date some of the linkage is (or product availability for that matter) but the switches are all still the same.

Thinking about a Ducky 9008G w/browns; no shiny poo poo required. TigerImports seems to have the widest selection, but my MicroCenter in town has a stack of these things that are being ignored :dance:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I have a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, and while traveling recently, it got smooshed and got a couple keys knocked off. The keys are fine, but I lost a scissor switch and snapped another.

Googling didn't give me much. Is there somewhere I can buy a bag of new switches? And if not, my follow-up question is: are all scissor switches standard, so I could acquire and cannibalize some busted old keyboard? Or are they typically different from one make/model to the next, which would make finding a replacement 1000x a pain in the rear end?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

scuz posted:

I just dove down the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole myself and found this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

It's fan-fuckin-tastic. Not sure how up-to-date some of the linkage is (or product availability for that matter) but the switches are all still the same.

Thinking about a Ducky 9008G w/browns; no shiny poo poo required. TigerImports seems to have the widest selection, but my MicroCenter in town has a stack of these things that are being ignored :dance:

Would anyone be against me making a new thread (basically stealing all this info)? Does SHSC deserve a separate mechanical keyboard thread? The current keyboard thread is out of date and most of the images are gone...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I don't think we need a dedicated mechanical keyboard thread. Just a reboot with a new OP would suffice.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah I don't really think we need a separate one. Most of the chat in here is about mechanical keyboards anyway.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just picked up a Das Keyboard, browns, with an amazon gift card that I had. I wish I would have made the jump to mechanical sooner, it is so nice. :swoon:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

calandryll posted:

I just picked up a Das Keyboard, browns, with an amazon gift card that I had. I wish I would have made the jump to mechanical sooner, it is so nice. :swoon:

I picked up a CM Quickfire Pro and goddam with blue switches I love this thing. After typing on laptop keyboards for so long this thing is a loving dream

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Double post

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
The quickfire TK looks great. Waiting for the red or brown version to hit amazon or newegg.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

calandryll posted:

You won't regret it. I wanted once since it was released way back in 2005 and only this year managed to finally pull the plug. Even with ridiculous prices they go for here in Europe and waiting times that seems to be forever (took a little over 3 months), this keyboard is worth it.

Although I went with blue switches since noise is not really an issue for me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendation for a Mouse/Keyboard combo I can use in my bed/on my couch for my media PC on my TV? I would be doing some light gaming on it at most.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
What's the story behind newegg suddenly discontinuing their second gen illuminated/usb hub Rosewill mechanical keyboards? I was going to get one after the holidays but they're just completely gone now.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Has anyone actually tried a Logitech G710? I've got red Cherry MX switches atm and I feel the bump feedback from the brown ones would do me better typingwise.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Good news for fans of Nostromo-style programmable keypads! Razer has released one with Blue Cherry MX switches.

Bad news, it's $130. What the gently caress?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Razer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

At least they're weren't silly enough to release a mouse with a Cherry MX Switch thumb key.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Argas posted:

At least they're weren't silly enough to release a mouse with a Cherry MX Switch thumb key.

There's folks who've made keyboards with microswitches (similar to mouse switches), however. Turned out kind of crazy: http://mykeyboard.co.uk/microswitch/

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my old G15. The keys are getting kind of sticky, even with repeated cleaning. It's also rather large and cumbersone. I've never used the macro keys outside of the first month, and I'm not getting much use out of the LCD display, either.

I like the idea of mechanical switches, but I haven't used one since I was 6 or 7 so I don't remember what they feel like really. I don't mind noise or clicking.

So my basic requirements are:

* Numpad
* No backlighting
* No media, sleep keys or whatever
* Wired
* Relatively thin and light (at least compared to the G15)

e: This Monoprice one looks good and cheap too. What differentiates mechanical keyboards' quality when they all use the same switches?

Geektox fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 5, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Geektox posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my old G15. The keys are getting kind of sticky, even with repeated cleaning. It's also rather large and cumbersone. I've never used the macro keys outside of the first month, and I'm not getting much use out of the LCD display, either.

I like the idea of mechanical switches, but I haven't used one since I was 6 or 7 so I don't remember what they feel like really. I don't mind noise or clicking.

So my basic requirements are:

* Numpad
* No backlighting
* No media, sleep keys or whatever
* Wired
* Relatively thin and light (at least compared to the G15)

e: This Monoprice one looks good and cheap too. What differentiates mechanical keyboards' quality when they all use the same switches?

Usually the manufacturer (the OEM who produces it, not necessarily the guys who put their brand on it) determines the quality. There's a few OEMs who make the keyboards, Costar is considered to be one of the best (they make Filco and the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid). I think the board you linked is made by iOne which isn't as well thought of. You might look at the Rosewill mechanicals, newegg tends to do big sales on those at random times and they're full sized boards. Some had issues with the micro-usb port on the bottom being damaged but as far as I know they've fixed that.

The only thing you may have an issue with is that no mechanical keyboards are going to be that thin (disregarding scissor switches) or light since they have a lot more parts than a rubber dome, and the height is always going to be plastic case bottom + PCB + Switch height + keycap at minimum. Most quality boards also put a plate above the PCB that the switches sit on that make the whole board feel more solid, which adds to their weight. The overall size will be smaller than a G15 but mostly due to not having a screen and extra buttons all around the sides. If the height is an issue you might look into a good wrist rest since it's very easy to destroy your wrists if they don't sit properly.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tatsujin posted:

What's the story behind newegg suddenly discontinuing their second gen illuminated/usb hub Rosewill mechanical keyboards? I was going to get one after the holidays but they're just completely gone now.

It looks like we got the answer today: They're updating it with TWO colors of LEDs.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So I guess this is a thing:

http://www.madcatz.com/strike7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's neat that you can rearrange it, but at the same time I think more parts and connectors means more things that can break. I'm also not a fan of the angled case edges but that's personal preference. I hope someone buys one and posts about it!

• Locked thread