Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cemetry Gator posted:

Isn't Mario Chase basically a game of tag? Like, how is that difficult to explain? Mario is "it," and the Toads try to hunt him down because he's "it."

The distance meter and how to use it, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I actually had difficulty explaining Mario Chase to a friend's Mother-in-law. However, I think the real problem wasn't that she wasn't capable of understanding it, but that she was so convinced that she wouldn't be able to understand it that she was certain it would be beyond her, rather than it actually being difficult to understand.

I run into this all the time "I don't want to play you'll just beat me" "what is this tutorial crap lets just skip past it" "this game is confusing why didn't they explain how to play it"
so you sit there trying not to win as you explain what the tutorial was trying to until they get frustrated and quit.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Cemetry Gator posted:

Isn't Mario Chase basically a game of tag? Like, how is that difficult to explain? Mario is "it," and the Toads try to hunt him down because he's "it."

Yeah, but if the person you're explaining to has a mindset of, "There's no way I'll ever be able to do this! :gonk:" it makes things a lot more difficult.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I got my Wii U last Friday, and I've just been having a blast with it and Nintendo Land! Surprisingly, I've also run into very, very few issues with using it; most of my usage of it has been smooth and loads things quite nicely, though that doesn't mean I'm not taking pre-cautions with using it (such as setting message display in Nintendo Land to English Only).

Hopefully I can scrounge up enough to get NSMBU and Sonic Racing before I get too far behind on releases.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

theflyingorc posted:

4. If house A has no Wiimotes but House B has 2, what do we do when House B wants to play as ghost?

One uses the gamepad, how is this even a worry?

theflyingorc posted:

The distance meter and how to use it, mostly.

:suicide: I hope you're joking, because having to explain "something gets further away, the distance increases" to an adult is baffling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sire Oblivion posted:

:suicide: I hope you're joking, because having to explain "something gets further away, the distance increases" to an adult is baffling.

Look at his innocence :allears:. Someone's obviously never had to do tech support.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

But but how do I move? Is it like that one with the aliens and the laser guns? I like watching that one, it looks fun. Oh but I'd never play it.

Don't underestimate people who've never played games.Or don't understand technology in general

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sire Oblivion posted:

One uses the gamepad, how is this even a worry?
Because the game currently doesn't support among like that. Sure, you can let the non-ghost use the pad at their end - you're going to have to code for that. My point, again, was that this is a situation that must be considered and dealt with - meaning resource investment on the part of the development house.

quote:

How to utilize it to do better. You sometimes have to think quickly to decide which way to run. Figuring out exactly what's happening by watching the rate of change isn't hard, per se, but it isn't trivial.

I think her bigger problem was how we kept calling out colors and she was certain we had special knowledge about which way that color was - I eventually had to explain "When someone yells BLUE, I turn in a circle until I see blue then run that way. Do the same!"

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
The aesthetics of Balloon Trip Breeze make me wish so hard that there was a Pilotwings attraction in Nintendoland :smith:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cemetry Gator posted:

Isn't that the opposite of tag?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Soul Glo posted:

Isn't that the opposite of tag?

It's more smear the queer.

Those raised in the south know it.

edit: just so I don't come off like a weird jerk there was a game everyone I knew played where a ball of some sort, usually a football, was placed on the ground. The first person to pick it up was the "queer" and it was the job of everyone else to "smear" him/her and take the ball away. There was no goal other than being the person holding the ball the longest. No one ever really won.

As a kid I never really understood the significance of the name but now it's kind of hilarious. Also, I almost explained it to my mother-in-law with that name but stopped myself short because she is a gay lady.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 3, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I grew up in Chicago and we played the same game. I had no idea until I was in High School.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GreenNight posted:

I grew up in Chicago and we played the same game. I had no idea until I was in High School.

I'm from Canada and we played it too, only it was called "Tackle Senseless" because you had to senselessly tackle someone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Kind of a general question, but here goes:
What are some goon-recommended standout Wii games that aren't Nintendo properties? I only ask with that caveat because my brother already has most of the iterative Nintendo stuff in his collection, so I pretty much have access to all that. I just picked up MadWorld and Epic Mickey so I'm looking for more stuff in that vein. Bonus points if the game isn't likely to get a Wii U version that makes it obsolete.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

xwonderboyx posted:

It's more smear the queer.

Those raised in the south know it.

edit: just so I don't come off like a weird jerk there was a game everyone I knew played where a ball of some sort, usually a football, was placed on the ground. The first person to pick it up was the "queer" and it was the job of everyone else to "smear" him/her and take the ball away. There was no goal other than being the person holding the ball the longest. No one ever really won.

As a kid I never really understood the significance of the name but now it's kind of hilarious. Also, I almost explained it to my mother-in-law with that name but stopped myself short because she is a gay lady.

I'm from Tennessee, we called it that too (yay sexism!), but strayed away from it in the thread. I guess I was wondering if there were actual different versions of tag in other regions/countries that were literally opposite from the version I knew-- enough so to put it in a Mario minigame.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Minidust posted:

Kind of a general question, but here goes:
What are some goon-recommended standout Wii games that aren't Nintendo properties? I only ask with that caveat because my brother already has most of the iterative Nintendo stuff in his collection, so I pretty much have access to all that. I just picked up MadWorld and Epic Mickey so I'm looking for more stuff in that vein. Bonus points if the game isn't likely to get a Wii U version that makes it obsolete.

Glancing over at my shelf, here's some of what I have for third-party stuff on the Wii that I recommend:

- Boom Blox
- de Blob
- Goldeneye 007
- The House of the Dead Overkill
- NBA Jam
- No More Heroes
- No More Heroes 2
- Red Steel 2
- Sonic Colors
- Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
- Zack & Wiki

Some folks will probably argue against a few of those titles (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom mostly) but I enjoyed what I played of those to varying degrees. Red Steel 2 is significantly better than the first Red Steel, and Sonic Colors is surprisingly good which threw me off initially.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Mercury Crusader posted:

reccomendations

I will also echo de Blob (and de Blob 2), No More Heroes series and Sonic Colors. Don't get Sonic Unleashed, though, if you want to be thorough. That game was a bad port of a mediocre title. And as far as I know none of those three are having similar successors on the U.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Forgot to mention I had ordered Sonic Colors as well! So those recommendations are nice to hear. Thanks :)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I bought a Wii U Pro controller a few days ago. So far it's a nice little guy, I like the lightweight feel to it. Though the fact that it lacks pressure sensitive triggers will may hamper FPS game development on the console itself. In my opinion, a good controller is essential to a great experience. It's the reason why I play PC games so much more than console games. But I took a side by side picture of this current gen's controllers all next to each other.

Nope, it's not a 360 controller at all!

In all seriousness I do really like the design of the 360 controller, it always felt very snug compared to the PS3 controller, though the actual sticks on the 360 controller are pretty bad. The Wii U has much better sticks as they borrow from the mushroom shape Sony adopted, which I absolutely love and it gives you a much better sense of control. The button placement for the start and back buttons mimic the 360 design quite a bit. Not to mention the D-pad placement. Though the D-pad placement is great and the actual D-pad itself is wonderful on the Wii U. I still like the D-Pad most on the PS3 but the 360 one has the biggest piece of poo poo D-Pad I've ever used. There's a convenient power button on the Wii U controller as well, a lot like the PS3 has to actually turn the system on. The triggers are my big gripe about the controller though, why in the world are they not pressure sensitive? The control stick placement feels very natural though, your thumbs rest comfortably on them when relaxing while being about as heavy as the PS3 controller.

All in all I really love the actual design of the Wii U Pro, it takes into account the great design of the 360 controller, the mushroom stick design from the PS3 controller, 360 trigger placement, PS3 power button placement, not to mention lightweight and combines them all for a tight bundle of wonderful. It's probably my favorite controller out of the three.

If they were to actually add pressure sensitive triggers that would be wonderful, does anyone think that, with demand they may introduce pressure sensitive triggers to the controller?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
Why would a lack of pressure sensitive triggers hamper FPS development? Racing games, sure. Flying games, sure. Anything with a throttle, pedal, or simulation of analog input, sure. But to my knowledge, the vast majority of triggers in FPS games have digital functionality. The gun is firing or not. You use a piece of equipment or don't. That's why FPS trigger actions are mostly mapped to mouse clicks, which are as digital as the Wii U triggers. Are there other types of FPS games using analog triggers that I'm not aware of? Any console FPS that map leaning to analog triggers?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Bionic posted:

Why would a lack of pressure sensitive triggers hamper FPS development? Racing games, sure. Flying games, sure. Anything with a throttle, pedal, or simulation of analog input, sure. But to my knowledge, the vast majority of triggers in FPS games have digital functionality. The gun is firing or not. You use a piece of equipment or don't. That's why FPS trigger actions are mostly mapped to mouse clicks, which are as digital as the Wii U triggers. Are there other types of FPS games using analog triggers that I'm not aware of? Any console FPS that map leaning to analog triggers?

No, you're right, that was just some misinformation on my part.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Captain Tolerable posted:

If they were to actually add pressure sensitive triggers that would be wonderful, does anyone think that, with demand they may introduce pressure sensitive triggers to the controller?

No, because the whole point of the Pro is that its exactly like the Pad but without a screen for use in multiplayer stuff. Making the Pro do things that the pad cant do along with the Pad doing things that the Pro cant do would be a horrible confusing nightmare for consumers and developers.

And for more great Non-Nintendo Wii games, Id recommend

Trauma Center series
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Muramasa
Resident Evil 4 (Its on many other systems, but the Wii is the best one)
Little Kings Story
Madworld
Ghost Squad

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gutcruncher posted:

No, because the whole point of the Pro is that its exactly like the Pad but without a screen for use in multiplayer stuff. Making the Pro do things that the pad cant do along with the Pad doing things that the Pro cant do would be a horrible confusing nightmare for consumers and developers.

Trauma Center series
Muramasa
Little Kings Story
Madworld
Ghost Squad

The pointer aim controls for Resident Evil 4 were so good. If you want to play it, the Wii version is the way to go just for that. The IR pointer is my favourite Wii feature but it got massively overshadowed by the rather lackluster (in retrospect) motion controls.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BattleMaster posted:

The pointer aim controls for Resident Evil 4 were so good. If you want to play it, the Wii version is the way to go just for that. The IR pointer is my favourite Wii feature but it got massively overshadowed by the rather lackluster (in retrospect) motion controls.

Yeah, the pointer was actually really good and really useful in a lot of ways. Motion controls were just awful before Motion+.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Gutcruncher posted:

I think the pro, as comfortable and well designed as it is, is already a failure in design because it lacks gyro support. It's the lack of motion controls in it that prevents it from being used with NSMBU which is a bit frustrating because the gryo/tilting part of that game seems to only be a thing in a few levels. I really like using the pro with Sonic Racing and using it with NSMBU would have been rad as well.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Gutcruncher posted:

Trauma Center series
Muramasa
Little Kings Story
Madworld
Ghost Squad

Little King's Story was my favorite game on the Wii. It's like pikmin with a lot of depth and some town building thrown in. I was sad to find out the sequel is on Vita since I probably wont ever own one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

citizenlowell posted:

I think the pro, as comfortable and well designed as it is, is already a failure in design because it lacks gyro support. It's the lack of motion controls in it that prevents it from being used with NSMBU which is a bit frustrating because the gryo/tilting part of that game seems to only be a thing in a few levels. I really like using the pro with Sonic Racing and using it with NSMBU would have been rad as well.

Wait, the Pro doesnt have tilt sensors? Ive never used one, but always thought it was supposed to be everything minus the screen. Thats just crazy. Besides shape and not needing Wii Remotes for them, is there anything different about it compared to Wii Classic Controllers?

I will now take this opportunity to show off my Wii collection

Theres a few questionable, or just plain bad, ones in the mix, but overall Id recommend most any of these games to people. It's not quite the complete 'good game' collection but I think I did ok.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait, the Pro doesnt have tilt sensors? Ive never used one, but always thought it was supposed to be everything minus the screen. Thats just crazy. Besides shape and not needing Wii Remotes for them, is there anything different about it compared to Wii Classic Controllers?

It has clickable sticks and rumble, but I don't think it adds anything else.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Do you have to manually enable Miiverse people showing up in Nintendoland every time you turn the system/game on? It seems weird that there isn't just a one time setting for that.

I also wish there was a way to disable using the controller accelerometer as the camera angle, sometimes I'll play at a weird angle and it's difficult to orient the controller properly to get the camera centered.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I have international Mii characters in my Nintendoland everytime I turn it on

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Do you have to manually enable Miiverse people showing up in Nintendoland every time you turn the system/game on? It seems weird that there isn't just a one time setting for that.

I also wish there was a way to disable using the controller accelerometer as the camera angle, sometimes I'll play at a weird angle and it's difficult to orient the controller properly to get the camera centered.

I believe you can use the control stick to get the camera pointed back the correct way.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

citizenlowell posted:

The Pro also lacks the Wii remote's speaker, which is necessary to help multiple players distinguish which event is happening to them (1-up, power up, etc.).

Legdiian posted:

I believe you can use the control stick to get the camera pointed back the correct way.

Only on the horizontal axis, not the vertical axis.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Chronojam posted:

I have international Mii characters in my Nintendoland everytime I turn it on

Weird, mine are always just the stock ones until I click on a dude and it says "hey if you do Miiverse blah blah." Do you normally check Miiverse before booting up the game?

Also, I know it defeats the purpose of them, but it would be nice if you could play the multiplayer only modes of Nintendoland with bots. I haven't even seen Animal Crossing yet, so being able to at least look around it and try to unlock some stuff with AI woulda been ideal for single player.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Weird, mine are always just the stock ones until I click on a dude and it says "hey if you do Miiverse blah blah." Do you normally check Miiverse before booting up the game?

Also, I know it defeats the purpose of them, but it would be nice if you could play the multiplayer only modes of Nintendoland with bots. I haven't even seen Animal Crossing yet, so being able to at least look around it and try to unlock some stuff with AI woulda been ideal for single player.

Hm, that might be it, but I feel like I've turned it on and hopped straight into Nintendoland and still seen foreign language visitors and all. I haven't tried all the games yet, but the Mario chase game and ghost mansion games do give a couple AI characters to help out if there is only one opponent; you still need to find one other player though. They're not like normal player characters though.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Eurogamer posted:

Second-hand Wii U consoles give access to old users' games - report

Gamers who buy a used Wii U console can re-download any content that a previous owner purchased, a new report suggests.

That's despite any old user accounts being removed and the hard drive wiped clean, NeoGAF claims. One user picked up a second-hand console to find he had free access to games such as Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo.

The reason for this appears to be that licenses for downloaded content are tied to a specific Wii U console, not a single user account. This tallies with the fact that all users of the console can access downloaded content, regardless of who purchased it.

A users' account (their Nintendo Network ID) and any download purchase history is tied to a single console. The only way to recover an ID from another Wii U is by sending it to Nintendo's customer support - and that's something only Nintendo of America has confirmed it can do.

So, currently, it appears there's little choice for gamers when trading in Wii U, except to leave access to already-downloaded content on the machine. It's bad news for people who may later reconsider their trade-in (and who are unlikely to get any extra exchange value for it). It's surely bad for Nintendo too - it currently has no way of stopping cheaper, second-hand consoles loaded with free games becoming available.

But it's good news for anyone who does pick up a Wii U second-hand. You may find it comes with a couple of free games waiting to be re-downloaded.

We've asked Nintendo for a statement on the matter.
Source

I might reconsider my stance on buying pre-owned consoles, if this holds up.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Iacen posted:

Source

This is a pretty amazing example of why Nintendo's current account set up is a joke.

I'm sure there's probably an easy fix for it, but I don't see it getting taken care of right away since this will have a negligible effect at best on digital sales.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Iacen posted:

Source

How is that surprising, it's been like that for the Wii and the DSi as well. Basically just ignore everything Nintendo does in terms of digital content and take your money elsewhere, there's hardly anything not already available somewhere else, anyways.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Can someone explain why anything in that article could be interpreted as negative and/or "Nintendo is bad at internet"?

Don't trade in and rebuy consoles and there is no issue. If something happens to your console, currently Nintendo can transfer your purchases to your new console. If anything, it's nice for the consumer because it adds value to the console if/when you do sell it. I guess if you buy consoles and trade them in and rebuy them every 6 months yea it's pretty lovely. ( Why would anyone do that to begin with, or at least try to justify it as reasonable? )

Edit: And I hope nobody tries to use handhelds as an argument. The Wii never got an "upgrade", besides different colors, until a few months ago and isn't that just Canada only?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 4, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's kind of funny. Nintendo goes out of their way to make accounts difficult to transfer for fear of people abusing it to get free games. The result, anyone who buys a used console is both robbing them of their original cut AND probably getting free games. They achieved the exact opposite of what they wanted. If games were tied to an account instead of the console, this wouldn't be the case, AND replacing your console would not be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: And I hope nobody tries to use handhelds as an argument. The Wii never got an "upgrade", besides different colors, until a few months ago and isn't that just Canada only?
You're forgetting the redesigned model that came out in 2011. So the Wii has had 3 installments so far, just as much as the DS had (Phat, Lite, DSi) for example.

• Locked thread