Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are there any farmer trainers anywhere? I haven't seen one since Celondim and there hasn't been one in Buckland or Bree as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm going to use this opportunity to say how stupid I find the way professions are organised with the whole groups of three things. All it seems to mean is that only 1.5 of your professions are any use to you. I'm a woodsman hunter and right now I'm building up a ton of leather I can't craft with and a whole ton of food that has zero use to me. (And it really annoys me that I can't make both bows and armour grrrrrr). This is the one area where I'm really missing WoW's mechanics.

Remy Marathe posted:

Here's a table for expansion prices, note that sale %'s vary (usually from 25%-50% I think) and the actual cash value of your TP will vary according to whether you buy it in bulk and how you valuate those you earned or bought bundled via VIP subscription.

(base editions only)
Cash equivalent estimated at $0.01/TP
code:

Expansion	Full Price	Sale Price	TP	cash equiv	TP @ 35% off	cash equiv
Mines of Moria*	    $20.00	$10.00		2495	$24.95		1622		$16.22
Mirkwood	    $10.00	N/A		695	$6.95		452		$4.52
Rise of Isengard    $20.00	N/A		3495	$34.95		2272		$22.72
>Triple pack	    $40.00	$20.00		unk.			
 --Triple pack includes ALL THREE of the above
Riders of Rohan	$40.00		$20.00		4295	$42.95		2792		$27.92

*Moria boxed can also be bought off of Amazon for $20-$25, purchasing this way also gains you a month of VIP. I think this is a good way for new players to get bumped quickly up to 5 character slots, unlock all classes and make 5 future characters with 5 bags and no wallet cap with their month of VIP. The current 50% off sale and triple pack make it less attractive for now.

Quest Pack prices can be seen here:
http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store
If you get the full expansions you can ignore the corresponding quest packs for those.
Quest packs are usually bought with TP, and if you watch the store patiently you can generally get them on sale (same 25%-50% range).

There are also quest pack bundles, two I've seen- Mithril Edition (off Gamestop, $25?) and Path of the Fellowship (not available now?)

This is just more confusing :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Well the only way a person can maximize their money is to lay out the things they want and work out the math. For someone who's not both broke and cheap as gently caress like myself, the solution's much simpler:

-Buy that triple pack and Riders of Rohan now while it's on sale for $40, that's basically the cost of a video game.
-Subscribe VIP for however long you feel safe investing up front. That ranges from $10-$15/month, less than or equal to the cost of playing World of Warcraft. Save most of your TP during that time so you can permanently buy some content when VIP runs out and you have a feel for it.

If all that's too much $ for a game you aren't sure you're going to play, just buy a one month VIP subscription for $15 and enjoy, reevaluate next month. That first month of VIP comes loaded with perks between the bag and wallet unlocks, 500 TP, bump to Premium etc; I suspect even most pay-as-you-go players subbed VIP briefly to get those.

There is definitely a farmer trainer in both Michel Delving and Bree (just north of town I think), maybe others. I'm pretty sure they set up trades like that to encourage barter between players, or crafting alts (thus character slots (thus more income from players who wouldn't normally roll alts)).

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 3, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The craft-skill groupings are definitely set up like they are to encourage trade, but as the game got older, people had more time to create alts, and kinships got bigger, that became kind of a moot point. If you need craft materials, join a kin and ask your friends or make an alt; if you have a surplus, give them to kin buddies or make an alt to use them; in either case, maybe try using the auction house and make/spend some money.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
In the shire, the farming trainer is located in Hobbiton..up the hill by the farm buildings.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
My 2 cents on what to buy: Buying the triple pack is great if you're already to the point where you are about to hit expansion content. That's level 50+ stuff. Without going VIP or spending money on turbine points, you're going to run out of free content after Lonelands, which means you hit a substantial pay wall at about level 35. Northdowns also covers part of that level range but isn't available for free.

Unless taking advantage of sales is really that important, I'd hold off on buying Rohan or the Triple pack and just go VIP for at least a month to get all the inventory space and whatever else it is you get. Worry about spending more money at level 50 or when you know for sure you like the game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

Got any tips for developing my Elf Guardian? I'm thinking about dropping the quick stab move now I'm got the trait from it, cause I have too many buttons. Been spamming to shield swipe to try to get that defensive boost.

Thoughts on heavy shields/light? The armour value increase is massive, but the -2% evade is more significant than I thought (more than halves the overall rate).

Plus the big shields all look like poo poo (why can't I use cosmetic weaponry?)

You need Sting, for two reasons. First of course is that it does pretty decent damage. Second is that around level 50 it upgrades into a corruption removal. If you're having hotkey trouble already with your Guardian, you may want to just give up on it and try something else. You will keep gaining buttons, and a lot of them are very useful.

I arranged my Guardian buttons in rows according to the parry/block chain. It's pretty easy to hit the first 6 butons on the keyboard, so all the skills I hit constantly are in 1-6, ctrl 1-6, alt 1-6, and shift 1-6. Anything 7-9 is going to be less used, and anything on the far right of the hotkey list are things that I'm content to just click on with a mouse because they are infrequently used, or aren't time-sensitive such as food. If I remember when I get home I'll post a screenshot showing my setup, although some things have probably changed since I haven't played it since pre-GR. I pretty much played in nothing but blocking stance (or Threat stance for some instances), so the Overpower skills for instance are just kind of slapped on my bar because I never used them. Now that you can use OP mode with a 1-hander I'll have to go back and redo my bar some time.

http://www.northshield.co.uk/LOTRO/

This site isn't updated anymore, but it still shows the looks/stats/crafting requirements for all pre-Great River gear. Used to be the best resource around, and I haven't found anything anywhere near as easy to use or as detailed.

http://www.northshield.co.uk/LOTRO/Shields/Steel/HSteel.htm

This is the first one I found that I like, level 28. I also like the level 41, and there are a few great looking quest shields in this range. The 48 is also nice, but then I don't like the next one until level 60. I think there is a nice looking Moria quest one however, so that will help in the mid-50s. Or maybe it was a drop from one of the chests in the Grand Stairs?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cheers.

I'm not using Sting atm because I'm working on the deeds for the shield bash and guardians ward(?) and their cooldowns run nicely together. Don't seem to need another basic attack. And Quickness doesn't sound that great. I'll revisit it when it gets an upgrade or I get bored.

More questions:

1) Where do I start finding dwarf iron and platinum? Already hit the next rank of prospecting.
2) What does being in a fellowship do? Was taking a run at a dwarf overseer and ran into a dude doing the same. He invited me, we fought some dudes, won, and then he ran off into the sunset. What was the advantage over just fighting without the fellowshippery?
3) Is money for anything other than buying overpriced components I need on the marketplace?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

sassassin posted:

1) Where do I start finding dwarf iron and platinum? Already hit the next rank of prospecting.

You can find 4th-tier materials in the swamps of the eastern Lone-Lands, north and south of Ost Guruth. They're also all over the Trollshaws.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ArchWizard posted:

You can find 4th-tier materials in the swamps of the eastern Lone-Lands, north and south of Ost Guruth. They're also all over the Trollshaws.

Nice. Suicidal underlevelled mining expedition imminent.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sassassin posted:

2) What does being in a fellowship do? Was taking a run at a dwarf overseer and ran into a dude doing the same. He invited me, we fought some dudes, won, and then he ran off into the sunset. What was the advantage over just fighting without the fellowshippery?

Well, back before the days of open tapping, it was the only way both of you could get credit for kills rather than only the first person to deal damage. Now that that's a thing, the primary advantages are all organizational: you can share quests and instances with people in your fellowship, you get a group chat, and buffing/healing is made easier thanks to the big list of portraits and vitals on the left. If you're just busting random mobs with a pubbie or two, though, you don't so much need to form a fellowship anymore.

quote:

3) Is money for anything other than buying overpriced components I need on the marketplace?

Incidental spending (for example on travel, craft materials, or equipment repairs), house purchase/upkeep, and the auction house are the primary money sinkholes. Occasionally a reputation reward will cost some considerable amount of money, though, and LI recipes are pretty expensive too.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

Well the only way a person can maximize their money is to lay out the things they want and work out the math. For someone who's not both broke and cheap as gently caress like myself, the solution's much simpler:

-Buy that triple pack and Riders of Rohan now while it's on sale for $40, that's basically the cost of a video game.
-Subscribe VIP for however long you feel safe investing up front. That ranges from $10-$15/month, less than or equal to the cost of playing World of Warcraft. Save most of your TP during that time so you can permanently buy some content when VIP runs out and you have a feel for it.

If all that's too much $ for a game you aren't sure you're going to play, just buy a one month VIP subscription for $15 and enjoy, reevaluate next month. That first month of VIP comes loaded with perks between the bag and wallet unlocks, 500 TP, bump to Premium etc; I suspect even most pay-as-you-go players subbed VIP briefly to get those.

There is definitely a farmer trainer in both Michel Delving and Bree (just north of town I think), maybe others. I'm pretty sure they set up trades like that to encourage barter between players, or crafting alts (thus character slots (thus more income from players who wouldn't normally roll alts)).

This should really be in the OP. The triple pack/ROR are good deals now that they're on sale for half price, but you also won't even hit the first of any of that content until like 3-4 days of playtime into the game, especially your first go around.

The triple pack also comes with no free month (unlike boxed Moria) or turbine points.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

SeaTard posted:

I arranged my Guardian buttons in rows according to the parry/block chain. It's pretty easy to hit the first 6 butons on the keyboard, so all the skills I hit constantly are in 1-6, ctrl 1-6, alt 1-6, and shift 1-6. Anything 7-9 is going to be less used, and anything on the far right of the hotkey list are things that I'm content to just click on with a mouse because they are infrequently used, or aren't time-sensitive such as food. If I remember when I get home I'll post a screenshot showing my setup, although some things have probably changed since I haven't played it since pre-GR. I pretty much played in nothing but blocking stance (or Threat stance for some instances), so the Overpower skills for instance are just kind of slapped on my bar because I never used them. Now that you can use OP mode with a 1-hander I'll have to go back and redo my bar some time.

Wouldn't happen to have a captain that you could post a screenshot of the keybinds you use? Im having trouble coming up with something that is intuitive and not just random skills everywhere on my skill bars.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Beach Party posted:

Wouldn't happen to have a captain that you could post a screenshot of the keybinds you use? Im having trouble coming up with something that is intuitive and not just random skills everywhere on my skill bars.
I know you weren't asking me, but in case it helps here's the layout I drew up for mine. Their specific placement is historic for me and useless for you, but you can see the categories I felt like the skills fell under on the line underneath:

click and click again on imgur for big

"ZERO, ONE, TWO" signifies elements of the three-step ability chain; Battle Shout -> Defensive/Sure Strike -> Blade of Elendil. Abilities in blue are herald skills, I chose to arrange them according to what they do rather than the fact that they're herald abilities.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 4, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm wondering what new area they'll introduce with the annual spring update... perhaps Gladden Fields? That's a bit out of the way from current high-level content though. Maybe they'll do the rest of Fangorn and have that lead into a West Rohan expansion in the fall.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Beach Party posted:

Nope, I gave up on my Captain around level 40. It was my first character I made during the LOTRO beta and the first one I made after release, but it got boring as hell eventually. And then once I dropped VIP, I didn't have enough character slots anymore and had to mark one as inactive, so it was my Captain that got the axe.

Here is what I used for my Guardian:

As you can see, the first row are normal skills, the second row is the parry chain, the third row is the block chain, and the fourth/fifth row are my oh poo poo skills. I actually thought the fourth row had challenge in it, but I guess I moved it to the fifth row at some point (probably so I don't spam it as much). Far right are stances, horses, food, and a mod manager (which apparently I don't need to use anymore, but :effort: to replace it).

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw
Just picked this up again and having a great time. Thalahad on silverlode will be poking around for an invite at some point.

e: invite received. Thanks!

Moo Moo Canoe fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 4, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Finally playing through Rise of Isengard and I am pretty satisfied with my decision not to pre-purchase and pay full price back in the day. It has been pretty darn boring and I think if I had the choice I'd kill the next village of Dunland folk who were immediately distrustful of me (I'm closing in on Kindred at this point) and require that I do another goddamn round of identical quests for them like I did for the last 3 regions. Endewaithe was more interesting than Dunland so far, with the exception of one or two instanced areas.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SeaTard posted:

As you can see, the first row are normal skills, the second row is the parry chain, the third row is the block chain, and the fourth/fifth row are my oh poo poo skills. I actually thought the fourth row had challenge in it, but I guess I moved it to the fifth row at some point (probably so I don't spam it as much). Far right are stances, horses, food, and a mod manager (which apparently I don't need to use anymore, but :effort: to replace it).

That's a lot of buttons. I'm leaning pretty heavily on shield swipe-bash and retaliation-thrust-salt the wound atm. Everything else is working it's way up the bars as I forget it exists.

Why is there nothing to do in Rivendell? Rode there myself, mining along the way (got attacked by a wolf that by some miracle let me go when I started fleeing for my life), and there's just nothing at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Am I right in thinking you need TP to buy mounts? I picked up the riding skill with my deed points and got all excited and then I was all "...oh"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

Am I right in thinking you need TP to buy mounts? I picked up the riding skill with my deed points and got all excited and then I was all "...oh"

You can buy them for coins at that farm north of Bree.

The basic one is only 500 silver (seemed a fortune when I first got it).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I bought a goat with TP because I am a fat wealthy lifetime subscriber, but there is no other good reason to ever do so.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
I need some advice here. I got the Mithril pack a while back when it was on sale - and was thinking on getting the tripplepack off Steam. Won't that take me pretty far, or am I missing some obvious zone?

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Played for an evening and, so far, I quite like the way this game handles. It also gets bonus points for allowing me to make the fattest, saddest, gingerest hobbit who seems to coware during most cut scenes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

sassassin posted:

That's a lot of buttons.

My minstrel uses all four rows :( But I'm also terrible at minstreling.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sassassin posted:

Why is there nothing to do in Rivendell? Rode there myself, mining along the way (got attacked by a wolf that by some miracle let me go when I started fleeing for my life), and there's just nothing at all.

If you don't have the Trollshaws quest pack there shouldn't be anything there, but even with it it's a little sparse on content because the Trollshaws suck. The main draw of Rivendell is that there are a lot of story-important characters hanging out there; it has all the modern conveniences of any other town too, but they're all spread out really far on opposite sides of rivers you have to find bridges across. Some of the stuff there was fairly important before any of the expansions came out, but then it was rendered obsolete by the 21st Hall (followed by Galtrev followed by Snowbourn).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

loquacius posted:

If you don't have the Trollshaws quest pack there shouldn't be anything there, but even with it it's a little sparse on content because the Trollshaws suck. The main draw of Rivendell is that there are a lot of story-important characters hanging out there; it has all the modern conveniences of any other town too, but they're all spread out really far on opposite sides of rivers you have to find bridges across. Some of the stuff there was fairly important before any of the expansions came out, but then it was rendered obsolete by the 21st Hall (followed by Galtrev followed by Snowbourn).

The only thing I like about Rivendell is that the stables are useful as a midpoint between lots of different areas that don't directly link up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did buy the Trollshaws, since I didn't know it was bad. Probably should have gone with North Downs or something, instead. Would at least have helped with current levelling.

I've got a quest for 3 scaled instances (whatever they are) from Lego, Boro and Glorfindel. No one else does anything.

edit: Is it just because I'm underlevelled? Not been in an area where it didn't let me at least activate higher level quests before, though.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 4, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Lars posted:

I need some advice here. I got the Mithril pack a while back when it was on sale - and was thinking on getting the tripplepack off Steam. Won't that take me pretty far, or am I missing some obvious zone?

What did you spend your Mithril TP on? If you use the TP you got with that to buy some zones between Lone Lands and Moria, you should be fine. Most people recommend Forochel and Evendim, because they are great.

I might have to buy the triple pack myself now, since I'm just about to finish Moria. loving finally.

edit: I'm right in thinking Mirkwood and Lothlorien are completely different quest packs, yes?

Radio! fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 4, 2013

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Radio! posted:

What did you spend your Mithril TP on? If you use the TP you got with that to buy some zones between Lone Lands and Moria, you should be fine. Most people recommend Forochel and Evendim, because they are great.

Still have 2500 TP in the bank, so I think I'll go for that plan - thanks.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
By the way, the Mithril Pack is on sale again for $9.99 on Impulse. You get a mount and the Path of the Fellowship Quest Pack (Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria & Lothlorien). It also includes 2000 TP so it's a good deal even if all you want is to buy TP (2k TP costs about $20).

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2777

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Midrena posted:

By the way, the Mithril Pack is on sale again for $9.99 on Impulse. You get a mount and the Path of the Fellowship Quest Pack (Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria & Lothlorien). It also includes 2000 TP so it's a good deal even if all you want is to buy TP (2k TP costs about $20).

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2777

Can only be applied once though.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
^^ Good point, hadn't thought to say that. I was wanting to buy TP and had never gotten that pack before so nabbed it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SeaTard posted:

As someone just coming back to the (f2p) version of the game, let me say THANK YOU. Is there any way we can get others to post some more of these for the different classes? I had left my old Guardian up for broke after logging in and seeing the billion unorganized skills on my hotbar, but I just rearranged things your way and played for an hour having a ball.

I'll probably only join Nazgun on my main right now, since I'm playing off and on with lower-level characters with real-life people too. In on Silverlode as Dronendil, going through auth on the Nazgun site soon.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Nice to see all this thread activity now that we finally have a new one. This game is great, and we need more people on Silverlode.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
That Mithril pack is a pretty good deal even though I already have Moria and Lothlorien. Even the full $20 price would make it a good deal.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So the quests offered in that Mithril pack are basically bits and pieces of certain expansions? As a beginner could I just buy the Mithril pack and be good to go?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slate Action posted:

So the quests offered in that Mithril pack are basically bits and pieces of certain expansions? As a beginner could I just buy the Mithril pack and be good to go?

As a beginner you could probably buy nothing and be good for the first 40 hours.

Steam's playtime counter continues to make me feel guilty.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

quote:

Includes the Trollshaws, Eregion, Mines of Moria, and Lothlórien.

Basically it's this: http://archive.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/1573-lotro-store-quest-packs#trollshaws_info plus the Moria expansion (Moria expansion includes Eregion, Moria, and Lothlorien).

So a 595 TP region, an expansion, and 2000 TP. And some exclusive steed or other stuff maybe.

And as someone just starting out, you'll be pretty good to go without spending a dime (maybe). All of my characters existed before the F2P conversion so they benefit from having many things already unlocked compared to a brand new player.

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
I noticed some folks a couple pages ago, complaining about a slow in-game store experience. I had the same thing for a long while before I got serious about seeing what the problem was. Some Googling showed me that there is some kind of proxy setup somewhere that was interfering. I cleared that and my store has been lightning quick ever since.

I would post a link, or better info, but by some weird twist of sysadmin fate, I am able to get to SA, but cannot get to most gaming related sites due to blocking software. If you search for something like, "lord of the rings online store slow proxy", or some variation, I would think you would find a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Captain Backslap posted:

Finally playing through Rise of Isengard and I am pretty satisfied with my decision not to pre-purchase and pay full price back in the day. It has been pretty darn boring and I think if I had the choice I'd kill the next village of Dunland folk who were immediately distrustful of me (I'm closing in on Kindred at this point) and require that I do another goddamn round of identical quests for them like I did for the last 3 regions. Endewaithe was more interesting than Dunland so far, with the exception of one or two instanced areas.

I was ready to give up on the game after Isengard, really wasn't impressed with that expansion, but with mounted combat in Rohan I figured I'd give it one more chance. Glad I did Rohan has breathed new life into the game for me, best expansion they have released I think. Even prefer it over Moria and I loved Moria when it came out.

• Locked thread