Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I want to make a full-face mask/helmet type thing, and I'd like to have a relatively accurate model of my own head to work off of. I don't necessarily need a full-on dental alginate cast, just something that gets the proportions of my head onto a solid material that I can stick stuff on. What's the best way to go about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Rubber Slug posted:

I want to make a full-face mask/helmet type thing, and I'd like to have a relatively accurate model of my own head to work off of. I don't necessarily need a full-on dental alginate cast, just something that gets the proportions of my head onto a solid material that I can stick stuff on. What's the best way to go about that?

Are you looking for just like the general size or your head or do you need face detail as well?

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Just the approximate size and locations of my features, so no, not detailed at all.

EDIT: I guess the word I'm looking for is armature.

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 4, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could conceivably do something like that with a friend and some floral wire (I think that is what it is - it's a relatively light wire you can get a Michaels/AC Moore/etc that is thick but very easy to bend an shape). Basically sit there while they construct a cage around your head to get the shape right.

I have actually done something similar for a failed Iron Man project. In that case, I bought some of the plaster bandage stuff (it's basically just gauze covered in plaster of paris) and my wife wrapped my head in it. We did it in two stages, front then back (removing the front fist) and then stuck the two pieces together. You could just do that, really, if all you need is a rough mockup and general shapeness. In my case I stuck the two halves together and then filled it with plaster to get a plaster copy of my head. It was pretty decent for the investment.

Disclaimer: If you do that, wear a swim cap to cover your hair and slather all exposed hair with a ton of vaseline. Not joking, I know someone who plastered their eyelashes together and ended up in the ER to get their eyes reopened. Go carefully with the the plaster and don't use too many layers. Paster heats up as it sets and if you slather it on it can get uncomfortable!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

We did a water-activated packing tape model of my friend's head. Cutting that thing off of him was extremely stressful but the head's pretty useful!

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Thanks, guys. Those all look like good ways to do it!

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 21, 2013

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Alright so maybe not so directly costume related. But I made a Persona outfit, just a school uniform as Kanzeon is going to take way more strength building on my part to do. But I had a cool idea for a photoshoot. There are some pretty run down areas in town and I thought if I could find/borrow/get my hands on enough old CRT monitors/tvs that I could stack them up as a wicked backdrop for photos. But finding them is proving more complicated than I thought. So how hard do you guys think it would be to make something passable like that or should I just keep collecting old ones until I have enough?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
No idea on the monitors but I want to post more Nightmare Moon progress! I've been super enjoying the art nouveau theme and I might have gone a little bonkers on the moon in the center of my top tier of pauldron (going to be 3 layered ones).

Buuuut it's actually coming along pretty well, if I do say so myself!

Teeny Wonderflex details forever! :woop:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
People have actually been pretty helpful and are helping me collect them.

Loving that progress, about to order some Worbla next month to play with. No idea what I will really use it on.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
The Night Watch costumes that I've been working on has been going well. I've even got knit chain mail on the go :3:. The foam pieces for our roman skirts look really leather-like when they're painted and varnished. The only thorn in my side has been the goddamn Heat n Bond. Can't get the fucker to come out right at all. I've tried using the iron very lightly on the lowest setting for 1 to 2 seconds, and I've tried a bit hotter with a bit more of a press to it, and it always come out the same way - the heat n bond doesn't stick. At all. If I can actually peal the glue part away from the backing, the glue falls right off my fabric. I've tried my Mom's old trick of putting a towel over the Heat n Bond, but that still leaves me with the whole thing not sticking and falling off. (This stuff is the ultra stuff if that makes any difference).

Anyone have some Heat n Bond hints? How do I know the difference between it being too hot and the glue failing and it being too cool and the glue not activating? I don't want to re-hot glue gun all these pieces - there's like 30 of them :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Alright so maybe not so directly costume related. But I made a Persona outfit, just a school uniform as Kanzeon is going to take way more strength building on my part to do. But I had a cool idea for a photoshoot. There are some pretty run down areas in town and I thought if I could find/borrow/get my hands on enough old CRT monitors/tvs that I could stack them up as a wicked backdrop for photos. But finding them is proving more complicated than I thought. So how hard do you guys think it would be to make something passable like that or should I just keep collecting old ones until I have enough?

Freecycle in my city has listings of literally dozens of TVs and CRT monitors each month. Heck it's even starting to feature listings of (old) plasmas and LCDs.
Plus you never know what other cool stuff will come up either, for costuming or anything else.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

PezMaster posted:

The Night Watch costumes that I've been working on has been going well. I've even got knit chain mail on the go :3:. The foam pieces for our roman skirts look really leather-like when they're painted and varnished. The only thorn in my side has been the goddamn Heat n Bond. Can't get the fucker to come out right at all. I've tried using the iron very lightly on the lowest setting for 1 to 2 seconds, and I've tried a bit hotter with a bit more of a press to it, and it always come out the same way - the heat n bond doesn't stick. At all. If I can actually peal the glue part away from the backing, the glue falls right off my fabric. I've tried my Mom's old trick of putting a towel over the Heat n Bond, but that still leaves me with the whole thing not sticking and falling off. (This stuff is the ultra stuff if that makes any difference).

Anyone have some Heat n Bond hints? How do I know the difference between it being too hot and the glue failing and it being too cool and the glue not activating? I don't want to re-hot glue gun all these pieces - there's like 30 of them :(

Use a piece of cotton muslin or a pressing cloth that is slightly damp. Hold the iron down for 15-30 seconds and move the cloth away. This works on fabric to heat n bond- it is possible that it won't want to stick to other things.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
So this thread isn't just a honeypot to trap filthy cosplayers? :ohdear:

My little sister got into the hobby a couple years ago, which dragged me back in. Since P4 Arena is out now, I'm going to try Aigis. Trying to figure out how to do the gold parts around the joints. The internet suggests modeling them from fiberglass cloth and epoxy over foam (sheets?), but I'm not sure how to put the pieces together afterward. Is there a way to secure bolts and fasteners into fiberglass without making it fall apart, or should they just be glued to one another? And can the parts be attached to clothing in a way that lets them be removed later? I'm still new at DIY costumes.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Any of you cosplay Goons have any experience making yukata/kimono? Just ordered the Folkwear 113 pattern for myself after reading a bunch of different threads/tutorials/and a forum full of white people trying their damnedest to be feudal Japanese. What am I in for? I keep reading they're apparently a good thing to learn on since most of the seams are straight.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Freecycle in my city has listings of literally dozens of TVs and CRT monitors each month. Heck it's even starting to feature listings of (old) plasmas and LCDs.
Plus you never know what other cool stuff will come up either, for costuming or anything else.
Awesome I will have to check that out it will be very helpful.

Salsa McManus posted:

Any of you cosplay Goons have any experience making yukata/kimono? Just ordered the Folkwear 113 pattern for myself after reading a bunch of different threads/tutorials/and a forum full of white people trying their damnedest to be feudal Japanese. What am I in for? I keep reading they're apparently a good thing to learn on since most of the seams are straight.

I have made lots. I can tell you they are fairly simple. Just large pieces which can sometimes get frustrating, the collars are also a minor pain. I use the Simplicity 4080 I find it a great pattern and with modification you can do most anything. A few examples of what I have done.
modified to have a dress with a train in back

A little more deconstructed but still good, did this one pretty much on my own I had made so many at this point

This one was a beast it's actually two that I attached at a few key points to get the layered feel.

I am about to make another one because I just can't get enough of these things.

Ratspeaker posted:

So this thread isn't just a honeypot to trap filthy cosplayers? :ohdear:

My little sister got into the hobby a couple years ago, which dragged me back in. Since P4 Arena is out now, I'm going to try Aigis. Trying to figure out how to do the gold parts around the joints. The internet suggests modeling them from fiberglass cloth and epoxy over foam (sheets?), but I'm not sure how to put the pieces together afterward. Is there a way to secure bolts and fasteners into fiberglass without making it fall apart, or should they just be glued to one another? And can the parts be attached to clothing in a way that lets them be removed later? I'm still new at DIY costumes.

Don't know what to tell ya about the edging as right now I'm a bit brain dead feeling so I will get back to you after sleep and thought. But cool to have another persona person around just finished Yukiko for PAX Prime last year planning to one day finish Kanzeon.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I've never used fiberglass but it seems like those pieces could all also be done with a sheet plastic like styrene since the curve is one-directional, and then you could drill holes and use a rivet gun or something to attach them? And maybe on the arms and thighs, just go for a super burly glue on the inside to preserve that smooth look.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm going to PAX East at the end of March and really want to do a Jack Krauser (Resident Evil 4) costume - one issue is that I absolutely don't have the technical prowess or dominant-handedness to do his ridiculous mutant left arm, so instead I was thinking of reddening my arm to replicate the "your special attack is ready" glow.

I'd need a way to do a light-but-noticeable-and-consistent color from shoulder to wrist, probably just using a red magic marker to accent some weird veininess, let it set for a minute, and then use some hairspray to make sure it doesn't run. Any ideas? Google is turning up a lot of conflicting suggestions so I'm at a loss.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

McPantserton posted:

I've never used fiberglass but it seems like those pieces could all also be done with a sheet plastic like styrene since the curve is one-directional, and then you could drill holes and use a rivet gun or something to attach them? And maybe on the arms and thighs, just go for a super burly glue on the inside to preserve that smooth look.
Styrene looks like it would work a lot better than what I was planning. Neater, too. Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'm checking out some tutorials now.

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Don't know what to tell ya about the edging as right now I'm a bit brain dead feeling so I will get back to you after sleep and thought. But cool to have another persona person around just finished Yukiko for PAX Prime last year planning to one day finish Kanzeon.
I've been thinking about doing a Persona cosplay for years. Never an actual persona, though. :psyduck: Are you doing the kite/satellite dish headgear and everything?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ratspeaker posted:

I've been thinking about doing a Persona cosplay for years. Never an actual persona, though. :psyduck: Are you doing the kite/satellite dish headgear and everything?

I've never seen somebody cosplaying a persona, but I did post this in the PYF cosplay thread:

In case it helps.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

Styrene looks like it would work a lot better than what I was planning. Neater, too. Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'm checking out some tutorials now.
I loving love styrene, it's crazy durable. My recommendations are to have a good heat gun to shape it with and make sure to thoroughly clear-coat it after it's painted to prevent as much paint chipping as possible. My last suit of styrene armor held paint shockingly well after I coated it and needed virtually no repairs even after multiple wears.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Funhilde posted:

Use a piece of cotton muslin or a pressing cloth that is slightly damp. Hold the iron down for 15-30 seconds and move the cloth away. This works on fabric to heat n bond- it is possible that it won't want to stick to other things.

Thank you for your hint! Finally got the sucker to stick to both the backing fabric and the foam. I think it was really the timing that did it - the packaging said 1-2 seconds, but your 15-30 seconds really made the difference. And here I was freaking out that I was overheating it.

I'm tackling Carrot's codpiece this weekend - paper mache, foam, and sculpty, I will conquer you!

Bonus: Roman skirt assembly line - Backed and painted. Varnishing and distressing tomorrow:

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 19, 2013

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Ratspeaker posted:

Yea that's the plan I already have most of the dress made. Just body suite and crazy head gear left.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Oh man, my husband and I just finally had the chance to get together with his parents for Christmas and they got me a set of clay-working tools and an ORBITAL SANDER. :woop: I am so freaking pleased at the thought of not hand-sanding the entirety of my next Bondo-coated vac-form blank by hand. I am so pleased with life.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
OK Prop experts, I need some materials advice.

I'm making this beaut (and the costume of the naked lady behind that, but I've got that taken care of):

I have a hula hoop, and what I'm stuck on is what to make the glass panels out of. I want them to at least be translucent, to get a stained glass feel out of them. For time purposes, I want to make it out of one large sheet of something, but I'm blanking on translucent/transparent materials that are cuttable with, like, a scissor or xacto knife. Does anyone have any idea what I could use?

Edit: fixed img

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 20, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Could you do plexiglass and use puffy paint for the divider parts and then translucent window paint for the panes? We used the translucent glass paint from Joanns for our (as of yet never-finished) Soul Edge and it looks horrible when wet but really, really nice once it dries.

Your last step should be to come to Wisconsin and do a photoshoot with us. Truth.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
How easy is plexiglass to cut/obtain? I was pretty much planning to do exactly what you described to get the stained glass effect, but I'm stuck on finding something I hopefully don't have to use fancy shop materials to cut...

Also, YES. I KNOW. Why are you amazing Soul Calibur cosplayers so far away!! Do you guys ever go to Dragoncon? That will be the farthest con from the East Coast I'll have ever gone to when I hopefully make it there this year.

Edit: To clarify, I currently own a soldering iron and a dremel, and I have seen both of these things thrown around as possibilities to cut acrylic. I have no workbench or wood saw, and nowhere to put either of them :( So I'm really looking for alternatives to that set-up.

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 20, 2013

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You used to be able to get it for free by going to Home Depot and asking for scraps to practice on. I got more than I could carry years ago when I asked. However, I think a lot of people were doing that and they've since stopped. You can still buy it there and it's not expensive or anything.

To cut it, I recommend just a regular wood saw. It cuts easy and you can finish the sides with sand paper.

You'll want a workbench or something to work with it on though. Trying to hold it against your leg and sawing it is a recipe for disaster and a hospital visit. I only say this because I've seen it attempted.

edit: There's also several types of the stuff which varies in strength. You could probably get away with the cheapest stuff as you don't need it to be impact resistant or anything. Still, you might want to play around with the sheets available in the store and find what you like the most.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I want to make it out of one large sheet of something, but I'm blanking on translucent/transparent materials that are cuttable with, like, a scissor or xacto knife. Does anyone have any idea what I could use?
Perhaps stained glass overlay film? I haven't messed with it in years, but it's basically translucent thin vinyl (?) that you can peel & stick onto glass to make it look like stained glass without... well, being stained glass.

Randomly googled link for info, not a store recommendation -> http://www.duralead.com/coloured_film.html

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I wish we could go to DragonCon. :( We usually hit GenCon (which is always right at the same time as DragonCon), Anime Central, and a few tiny local deals.

And for tools, we didn't have a power saw to cut our plexi with, either. We used a scoring tool, which took forever and a day and would suck to do for a circle. Would probably work, but if you can find a power tool to borrow I'd go that route first.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

You might be able to use the gels that photographers use to add color to their flashes - http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_2hr89s6wzz_e Something like that could work. You may be able to find them even cheaper with more searching.

I'm finally making some headway on my first cosplay attempt (civil protection officer from Half-Life 2).

Turns out Bondo is not easy to sculpt with.

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 21, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Looks like I'm canceling all my costumes this year :(

We're going to be living overseas for a good chunk of 2013 and probably missing DragonCon, and even if we make it home for the convention it's impractical at best to take my projects with me.

I'm excited about the trip, but definitely sad about the costumes.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rubber Slug posted:

I'm finally making some headway on my first cosplay attempt (civil protection officer from Half-Life 2).

Someone on my facebook feed posted a similar-looking mask and I got all kinds of excited, only to find out they were making their third or fourth Tusken raider.

You, though, you know what's up.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Rubber Slug posted:

You might be able to use the gels that photographers use to add color to their flashes - http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_2hr89s6wzz_e Something like that could work. You may be able to find them even cheaper with more searching.

If you're able to make copies (vacuum form or whatever) I'd definitely buy one from you :3:

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Just large pieces which can sometimes get frustrating, the collars are also a minor pain.

Jeez, you weren't kidding! I don't have enough room in my house to lay the fabric out to put all the patterns on it. I'm figuring out very quickly from my repeated trips to the craft store that I'm extremely under equipped for anything beyond making crummy stuffed animals! Do you use a rotary cutter to cut out most of the kimono parts? I've been using scissors and I'm not too happy with my results.

I can only imagine standing in front of a garbage bin and demanding that people pick up that can.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Red Robin Hood posted:

If you're able to make copies (vacuum form or whatever) I'd definitely buy one from you :3:

Likewise. I'd love to have a whole group patrolling cons, especially if I can figure out how to rig up a voice modulator to go with it.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

I was looking into a voice modulator, but couldn't find anything satisfactory (if you can find one I'd be stoked). I might go in with actual soundbites playing through a speaker. If I can figure out a good way to replicate the mask, I'll definitely let you guys know. And thanks so much for the interest! It's really encouraging.

Here are a couple of newer pictures. Not a whole lot of progress, but the right side is basically done as far as shaping and sanding are concerned.

For the filters on the front of the mask (see here), I was thinking of using foam of some kind, but I have no idea what type would be best, or if foam is even the right way to go. Any ideas from you guys?

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 23, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rubber Slug posted:

I was looking into a voice modulator, but couldn't find anything satisfactory (if you can find one I'd be stoked). I might go in with actual soundbites playing through a speaker. If I can figure out a good way to replicate the mask, I'll definitely let you guys know. And thanks so much for the interest! It's really encouraging.

Here are a couple of newer pictures. Not a whole lot of progress, but the right side is basically done as far as shaping and sanding are concerned.

For the filters on the front of the mask (see here), I was thinking of using foam of some kind, but I have no idea what type would be best, or if foam is even the right way to go. Any ideas from you guys?

I'm actually curious, I know there's Russian gas masks floating around from the cold war era that it's based on, though there might be cosmetic differences. Were you aware of them and consciously chose to build from scratch due to said differences?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
gently caress that is so hot :fap:

Please make some nice copies!

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm actually curious, I know there's Russian gas masks floating around from the cold war era that it's based on, though there might be cosmetic differences. Were you aware of them and consciously chose to build from scratch due to said differences?

Yeah, the Russian PMG mask is really similar, but the civil protection mask is still visually distinct in a number of ways. I'm trying to be as accurate to the game as possible, because I noticed that there were very few metrocop cosplays that were at all faithful to the original design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I am 100% new to all of this costuming type thing, and I'm looking to do something that should be pretty easy. I've got a spare black motorcycle helmet that I want to make look similar to the Stormtrooper Scout so that I can do things like this:

It needs to be over a real helmet so that I can ride safely, so 100% movie accuracy is a not a concern at all. I'm looking for some sort of stiff material I can shape and adhere to the helmet to add the extra features and definition without compromising the safety of the helmet. I've seen that blue foam stuff in the halloween costume threads, but I know nothing about it (like what it's called.) I'm also wondering if there is some sort of mesh material I can put over the black visor of the helmet so as to give the eyes a similar shape to the one above, but still be visible out the entire thing. Kind of like the adverts they put over bus windows.