Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

For #1: If indeed the referee is a goalpost with a whistle, I would make the same call as I would should the player have boosted himself up by hanging on a goalpost: a caution for unsporting behaviour and an indirect free kick positioned according to Law 13. The law doesn't require a foul for DOGSO, only an offense which results in a free kick, but I'm not convinced a 50/50 ball floated into a crowded penalty area constitutes an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. Either way a penalty is right out as there has been no foul committed, only misconduct.

2 - punch him in the face
3 - punch him and Berbatov in the face

edit: quoting picture for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Bio-Hazard posted:

2) I wouldn't do anything about it, except to note it in the match report. The decision is not up to you, it's up to the referee organization or the FA. Besides, if you switch out your AR then you're essentially admitting that you (the one with the whistle) have been agreeing with the AR since the AR doesn't blow the whistle for fouls, you do. Referees can wave down AR flags. And, he'll get the other team in the 2nd half so the damage is already done.

Of course you're agreeing with the AR if you (presumably) awarded two penalties that the AR flagged for. There's nothing wrong with agreeing with your AR, but that's only if you're oblivious to the AR's club preference. Keeping the AR out there after what you learned can only end badly because then you'll start second guessing his judgment and that's no good for the game at hand.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Referees are professionals, right? I think it's a bit childish to think that a referee who has a tattoo of a club won't play the game fairly. I'm a teacher, do you think I'm not allowed to grade the kids I don't like? I do, and I do it well because I'm a professional, just like that referee. You might make a note about it in the match report, but even that seems silly to me.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
It's the appearance of impropriety. He can call the game as evenly as he likes, if that tattoo ended up on camera, can you imagine the shitstorm for you, the league, the referees' organization, the FA, etc.? He has to be removed.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the Premier League refs that openly support a club don't get to ref for them. Sure you can trust them to be professionals but it's another thing how the public sees it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

oliwan posted:

Referees are professionals, right? I think it's a bit childish to think that a referee who has a tattoo of a club won't play the game fairly. I'm a teacher, do you think I'm not allowed to grade the kids I don't like? I do, and I do it well because I'm a professional, just like that referee. You might make a note about it in the match report, but even that seems silly to me.

How would your employer react if you had a tattoo which said "Johnny in 5B is a little poo poo"

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Better than a tattoo proclaiming your love for Johnny in 5B.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Maybe the FA said to him "we'll let it slide as long as you cover it up" and you don't know about the circumstances.
Maybe he has every club's crest somewhere on his body.
Maybe he lost a bet and the tattoo is actually his club's biggest rivals?

I'd advise him to cover it up and maybe use that as a conversation starter to ask him how much he wants to remain in the game, or if he should remove himself. Then report it to the FA no matter what.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Bio-Hazard posted:

Maybe he lost a bet and the tattoo is actually his club's biggest rivals?

He wouldn't be officiating that game if this was true.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Homura posted:

He wouldn't be officiating that game if this was true.

The point stands though--it could be his best friend's favourite team, and he lost a bet, or something along those lines. Without inside knowledge you should probably just trust that the FA have sorted it out beforehand, since they already take steps to prevent bias. If you feel his decision-making has been compromised because of the dodgy penalties, then replace him with the fourth official, but clearly you agreed with him at least in part on those since you're the one that actually gives them, not him. Without more information I would just put a detailed account of everything in your match report and leave it up to the FA to take action. It may turn out he just has very sharp eyes and made a bad tattoo decision earlier in life, and video evidence will back up the penalties; or it may turn out he was biased, and never referees again. Either way you can't really know.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The tattoo thing I think is actually a vaguely realistic situation on the parks or on the semi-pro pyramid somewhere when you might have an ex-player who got really drunk with his teammates that one time, but I'm thoroughly expecting Hackett to say "lol no" in the answer.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Hackett:

quote:

1) If the keeper had only made contact because you were in his way then you would allow play to continue – but as he has used you to gain an unfair advantage, show him a yellow card for unsporting behaviour and restart with an indirect free-kick from a point on the six-yard line parallel to the goalline that is nearest to the offence. It cannot be a penalty as the offence was not committed against an opponent. You also need to rethink your positioning and viewing angles: you were too close to play.

2) Challenge him. Ask him for more information, and if you are not satisfied about his impartiality, dispense with his services, use a replacement official and report him to the authorities. Clearly this was not a good appointment: officials are always asked to declare allegiance to any team.

3) At the next stoppage, summon the player and his captain and inform them that, if there is another act of misbehaviour that you consider shows a lack of respect for the game, you will indeed show him a second yellow card, followed by a red, for unsporting behaviour.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

What, Hackett with sensible and reasonable decisions? Clearly the Apocalypse was merely slightly misscheduled.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

1) Two yellows, off he goes. (pretty sure there's precedent for this one in a game a few years ago where someone scored, kicked the corner flag and made a gesture to the crowd, and got separate yellows for the flag and the gesture)

2) He's still offside, so no goal. Indirect free-kick for obstruction by the defender though.

3) Tell him to get rid of the phone as it's not part of his approved equipment.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
1. Give a direct FK (or penalty) to the attacking team and book the defender for each offence separately, so send him off.

2. Disallow the goal, book the defender and award a penalty.

3. If he touches it again, book him for having equipment he's not meant to or if he's trying to be a sly bugger and leaves the field to check it, book him for leaving the field without permission.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
The first one could be a straight red, depending on where the handball took place. If there's been advantage played, there's a good chance his deliberate handball is preventing a goalscoring opportunity, so I think that's what they're getting at.

For the third, I think the key thing is that it's behind the goalline, right?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He could conceivably have it close enough to the goal line that he could reach over and pick it up without entirely being off the field of play, if that's what you're getting at.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I think that's what the question is getting at, right? That he's not brought it onto the field, but doesn't have to leave it to look at it. Similar to when someone (Lindegaard?) had an ipod with videos of opposition players taking penalties that he was watching before the shootout.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. Two yellows and a red, being sure to call over the player and captain so he does not freak out as to why two yellows were given so quickly.

2. I retroactively play advantage to the attacking team, and thus allow the goal. I present a yellow to the defender. Ideally, I would have stopped play and red carded the defender for DOGSO, but play continued on before I could. Write this down for sure, explaining it all so you don't get fired.

3. Stop play, tell him it's a communication device like a headset and he can't use it. Give it to the fourth official to be returned later. If he fights you, give him a yellow.

e: I really like question 2, I think it's going to be really informative to learn the answer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can you really issue two yellow cards consecutively? The player doesn't know he's already on a yellow card when he commits that second offence. Seems a bit unfair at least.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
1. Two cautions -> Red

2. The wording is a little dumb. I read it as he's offside when the ball is kicked and is now trying to get back onside. The defender is not gaining any advantage by blocking the attacker, flag/blow the offside.

3. I would love to see him manipulate a cell phone with keeper gloves. Award him a goal for his efforts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3. I'd ask him what network he's on because gently caress me if I can ever get a data signal at half time at Loftus Road.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

1: If the handball was in the box then it's a straight red. If not then it's a second yellow. (Hackett will come up with some bollocks to justify only a single yellow though.)

2: Is offside, no goal. Yellow card the defender and award a penalty. If you want to be a real dick, award a straight red for DOGSO, although that would require obstruction of the attacker with a clear goalscoring opportunity, whereas the way I read it the defender obstructed the attacker before there was a clear goalscoring opportunity.

3: How the hell is he working a cellphone with goalie gloves? Anyway, take it off him and give it to the fourth official. Yellow card him if he argues.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I think that's what the question is getting at, right? That he's not brought it onto the field, but doesn't have to leave it to look at it. Similar to when someone (Lindegaard?) had an ipod with videos of opposition players taking penalties that he was watching before the shootout.

I think this was Ben Foster and the League Cup final against Spurs a couple years ago. I don't remember any fuss about it back then, so maybe #3 is on the level.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I think you're right. I knew it was a United keeper, but not Van Der Saar. The difference between the two situations though, is I think he was doing it before the shootout, so the game wasn't on at the time, so who knows.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
It was foster and was after the 2 extra time periods but before the shootout started. The gk coach had videos of the other teams PK kickers

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've just caught up on the last two weeks. Do we know any ref that has a declared allegiance to a team? And how far does it stretch - is it only reffing that team, or does it include rivals, potential relegation clashes etc. as well?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Keith Hackett's verdict

1) The defender has committed two cautionable offences: the fact that you played advantage does not change that. Stop play, show him two yellow cards and then a red. If possible in this situation, though, you should try to warn the defender he will be cautioned after you have played advantage: that might have made him think twice about committing the second offence. Preventative refereeing is always a good policy. Thanks to Stephen McAteer.

2) No goal. As always, punish the first offence. The defender has not physically manhandled the forward into an offside position: the forward was already in an offside position before the defender blocked him. So declare him offside when he plays the ball, immediately speak to both players to calm the situation – again, trying to prevent trouble – and restart with an indirect free-kick. Christopher Vaughan wins the shirt.

3) At the next stoppage, deal with this as unsporting behaviour and caution (book) the keeper. Electronic communication between coaches and players is banned and I would deal with this as a breach of those regulations. Arrange for the mobile phone to be removed. Thanks to Chris Deeley.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dollas posted:

2) No goal. As always, punish the first offence. The defender has not physically manhandled the forward into an offside position: the forward was already in an offside position before the defender blocked him. So declare him offside when he plays the ball, immediately speak to both players to calm the situation – again, trying to prevent trouble – and restart with an indirect free-kick. Christopher Vaughan wins the shirt.
I didn't really interpret this one the way that he has, I thought it meant that the striker was holding him before the ball was played forward. In which case the first offense would be the foul, not the offisde. Since the question wasn't clear, punch Keith Hackett in the face and put it your match report.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Tunga posted:

I didn't really interpret this one the way that he has, I thought it meant that the striker was holding him before the ball was played forward. In which case the first offense would be the foul, not the offisde. Since the question wasn't clear, punch Keith Hackett in the face and put it your match report.

No the question is perfectly clear and you just have bad reading comprehension, it was the defender doing the holding and it says nothing about the obstruction taking place before the ball was played.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dollas posted:

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) If possible in this situation, though, you should try to warn the defender he will be cautioned after you have played advantage: that might have made him think twice about committing the second offence.
I have never seen a ref do this before and it's just silly theoretical bullshit.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Vegetable posted:

I have never seen a ref do this before and it's just silly theoretical bullshit.

I don't think it's really something you'd see. If there's a long passage of play between the foul and the next stoppage the ref might say "You'll be booked in a minute, calm down" or something. I'm sure there's lots of things refs tell players that we never pick up on in the stands/on tv.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vegetable posted:

It's all verbal. When I play advantage for a cautionable offence I call "Play on advantage; coming back for him!" Something like that. I do it more so that the attacking team won't get tempted to go and kick him back because they don't think I'm going to do anything about the foul.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Vegetable posted:

A lot of times I'll say "I saw it, I'll get it!" to players who protest in the moment, or I'll tell a player he's booked while the play is still running if he's not involved anymore. Verbal communication or player/ref banter on the pitch isn't really seen by the cameras, which is too bad... It's definitely part of the game.

EvilHawk posted:

I'm sure there's lots of things refs tell players that we never pick up on in the stands/on tv.

MLS: Mic up the refs. (BAD IDEA)

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Bio-Hazard posted:

MLS: Mic up the refs. (BAD IDEA)

There's a German documentary that did this with some of the refs from one of the UEFA Championships. Seemed interesting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I eat my words :downs: But I still don't think it's usually a feasible thing for refs to do. If there's an advantage, play is usually going on quite frantically and it seems to me that a ref might miss a thing or two if he's going to spend time warning a player.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

foobardog posted:

There's a German documentary that did this with some of the refs from one of the UEFA Championships. Seemed interesting.
They did it as a one-off with an SPL match a few years ago for a documentary. Sadly, they used Ian Brines, so we learned nothing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ref mics are standard in other sports, so I'm quite curious as to why it's a bad idea.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aoIy89mSk8

This is a pretty good documentary about what actually goes on as far as on-pitch communication between refs and players are concerned. Takes place in Spain, so subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Baggins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aoIy89mSk8

This is a pretty good documentary about what actually goes on as far as on-pitch communication between refs and players are concerned. Takes place in Spain, so subtitles.

Very interesting, thanks!

• Locked thread