Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mniot posted:

For something like quick sort, I have a harder time imagining a case of being impressed by someone writing their own implementation.

http://iaroslavski.narod.ru/quicksort/DualPivotQuicksort.pdf :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Dude I am totally down to download this PDF from iaroslavski.narod.ru (which redirects to http://narod.yandex.ru/100.xhtml)

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

Dude I am totally down to download this PDF from iaroslavski.narod.ru (which redirects to http://narod.yandex.ru/100.xhtml)

It describes a quick sort varient that's a little better. But qntm was asking about putting something like "implemented the vanilla quick sort algorithm in C" on a resume, not "published a paper describing an improved quick sort algorithm with an average speed improvement of 2.3% (p=0.043)". I think the value of the latter is pretty obvious.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Three leads on jobs since turning down the NYC offer, with the following results thus far:
1) Company partner/dev reaches out directly to me via email. We have a Google hangout chat, he tells me that he'll try to get in touch by Thursday. No emails, nothing. I sent him a message through chat just to follow up (since we used it a couple times prior), as he seemed pretty friendly, also to no response.
2) Introduced to a company founder via another company's founder (after inquiring about their positions). We have a Skype chat. Told, again, that he'll try to get back to me. Sent a follow-up email yesterday morning. Nothing.
3) Had a phone screen scheduled and confirmed for 1:00 today with a dev lead for a third company. It is now after 1:20 and I have not received a call.

I'm really, really frustrated.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

3) Had a phone screen scheduled and confirmed for 1:00 today with a dev lead for a third company. It is now after 1:20 and I have not received a call.

Send an email. It's lovely, but sometimes something urgent comes up and you have to skip out on a phone interview. It's usually good manners to let the person know in advance if you can't make a meeting, but get in touch and reschedule.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

Send an email. It's lovely, but sometimes something urgent comes up and you have to skip out on a phone interview. It's usually good manners to let the person know in advance if you can't make a meeting, but get in touch and reschedule.

I will, but honestly, the place is probably a 1-1.5 hour commute in traffic away from where I'm at in Philly, so I likely wasn't going to see anything pan out, regardless. I expressed this in the initial email to the guy (he responded to a thread post I made in a Google group talking about the company, and I emailed him), but he either ignored it or didn't mind and scheduled something. I know that the NYC deal was bad, but I'm hoping I don't have to go another six months before I find something else because I turned it down.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

Yandex is like the Russian Google, and narod is like...geocities but better, I guess. Anyway, the link isn't that shady.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yandex is like the Russian Google, and narod is like...geocities but better, I guess. Anyway, the link isn't that shady.

I wouldn't download a pdf from a Geocities page either

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

qntm posted:

Would you really put "implemented <a specific algorithm>" on a CV? I've always found algorithm implementation fairly easy. A lot of them are even explained in terms of pseudocode.
Depends on algorithm. Doubly so if it was involved in building a data structure; seeing "implemented a B-tree" on a resume would be impressive for a relatively young developer. However, it's nearly as important to say why you did the work you did. Lots of developers produce tons and tons of code without having any real understanding of what they're working on, or why it's important; they've just been told 'we need X' and they go off and produce 'X' without any real thought to suitability.

One of my fundamental inner questions when I'm interviewing developers is: Is this person effective, or are they merely smart? I have lots of smart guys; I need people who get poo poo done. I need people whose first reaction to a question is "What are you trying to do?" -- people who get big nasty problems, break them down into parts, and then execute on those parts with an eye to the whole.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Found out that they supposedly tried to call me, but it went to voicemail. It was odd because I called from another phone and it rang immediately. I think the call went well and the commute might be a pain in the rear end, but I guess I'm going to have an onsite thing (it sounded as if there would be two different ones, though) in the near future. It doesn't hurt for sake of experience, at least.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gucci void main posted:

Found out that they supposedly tried to call me, but it went to voicemail. It was odd because I called from another phone and it rang immediately. I think the call went well and the commute might be a pain in the rear end, but I guess I'm going to have an onsite thing (it sounded as if there would be two different ones, though) in the near future. It doesn't hurt for sake of experience, at least.

Hey, you've got a real-deal, face-to-face interview (actually, a barrage of them from the sound of it). Chin up, old bean! :wotwot:

I say this cause it's easy for me to get discouraged, too, even in the face of a *good thing*.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

gucci void main posted:

Are they trying to call you on your mobile number? I learned the hard way to always give the person a landline number, you don't want to lose a good opportunity because your carrier is poo poo.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
What's a landline?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

gucci void main posted:

Found out that they supposedly tried to call me, but it went to voicemail.

this happens to me all the time and in fact happened when I was expecting an interview call. It was okay because I did these things:

1) I vetted the reception for wherever I was taking the call so I knew it wasn't a total dead spot. In my case, it was sitting under a tree behind a bush at my old office.

2) I always requested a number I could dial or a contact in case the call dropped or something went wrong, and told them that sometimes my cell service had problems and if they got my vmail directly it was the bad service.

3) If they were supposed to call at 3:00 then at 3:05 I called my contact number. In the case where my interview call went to vmail, I just called them and we proceeded as normal.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BirdOfPlay posted:

Hey, you've got a real-deal, face-to-face interview (actually, a barrage of them from the sound of it). Chin up, old bean! :wotwot:

I say this cause it's easy for me to get discouraged, too, even in the face of a *good thing*.

Well, the other two guys were apparently unable to respond to my emails/messages even after 24+ hours, so it's just this one opportunity. It's better than nothing and I haven't been scheduled for a date just yet, but at least it's something. It's just rough right now, especially given the last month.

Xguard86 posted:

this happens to me all the time and in fact happened when I was expecting an interview call. It was okay because I did these things:

1) I vetted the reception for wherever I was taking the call so I knew it wasn't a total dead spot. In my case, it was sitting under a tree behind a bush at my old office.

2) I always requested a number I could dial or a contact in case the call dropped or something went wrong, and told them that sometimes my cell service had problems and if they got my vmail directly it was the bad service.

3) If they were supposed to call at 3:00 then at 3:05 I called my contact number. In the case where my interview call went to vmail, I just called them and we proceeded as normal.

I did in fact check my phone, as I said, and it was fine, so I have no idea what happened. It *was* a conference call with two people, so that might have had something to do with it. I was given a number to call only after they had problems. I still haven't gotten any voicemails from before.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
yes my phone would do exactly that: say full signal and behave normally but never ring and the person calling would go straight to vmail like my phone was off. I would never see a missed call and if they didn't leave any voicemail it was like the call never happened.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You should also remember that given the holidays, most companies won't be in full swing until two weeks from now. So it's gonna be slow.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Pweller posted:

What's a landline?

A phone connected to a phone line, as opposed to a wireless carrier.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
What's a phone line?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

What's a phone line?

That thing your parents have where you can call a building instead of a person.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That thing your parents have where you can call a building instead of a person.

Who wants to talk to a building?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gucci void main posted:

Well, the other two guys were apparently unable to respond to my emails/messages even after 24+ hours, so it's just this one opportunity. It's better than nothing and I haven't been scheduled for a date just yet, but at least it's something. It's just rough right now, especially given the last month.

You misunderstand, when you said:

gucci void main posted:

but I guess I'm going to have an onsite thing (it sounded as if there would be two different ones, though) in the near future.

I'm reading that as you being confused cause they mentioned that you'd be interviewed by more than one person. Am I correct?

If so, when you get over there in the next couple of days, they'll run you through a gauntlet and you'll probably end up talking to several people. Now if that is the case, this is a good thing and a good sign, and this company seriously vets their potential employees.

If not. Well, it still sounds much better than your last offer.

Plorkyeran posted:

What's a phone line?

:phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phone:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BirdOfPlay posted:

You misunderstand, when you said:

I'm reading that as you being confused cause they mentioned that you'd be interviewed by more than one person. Am I correct?

If so, when you get over there in the next couple of days, they'll run you through a gauntlet and you'll probably end up talking to several people. Now if that is the case, this is a good thing and a good sign, and this company seriously vets their potential employees.

If not. Well, it still sounds much better than your last offer.

Not 100% sure on how it'll work. I believe there's an hour onsite testing/exercise or whatever you want to call it, and then I believe they said there's a half-day thing. I spoke with the guy whom I exchanged emails with initially who is the lead of testing (by title) and another woman who was a tester, I believe. I assume I'd be meeting with either/both of them. The former should have a good idea of where I'm at skill-wise, so I'm not very worried about the interview process, as it seems that they're the sort of place which is more welcoming to developing people. They said they sponsor at least one of the regional Meetup groups and every few months take a week off and simply work on personal projects, which I do consider a good sign, and work as an agile shop based on what he told me, as well. Overall I had a good vibe, and considering with the NYC place that I really didn't have my head on straight enough to find out more about their development processes aside from knowing that they used Github to at least some extent, it's nice that this company was pretty up front about it.

The biggest downside, as I said, is that I'm just about as far east in Philly as you can get, and considering the available routes and morning traffic, it's very likely that it would take just as long to get to get there from Baltimore as from where I live.

wolffenstein posted:

You should also remember that given the holidays, most companies won't be in full swing until two weeks from now. So it's gonna be slow.

I've tried to be conscious of this, and am hoping it's the case for most companies with regards to why I haven't had much movement.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gucci void main posted:

Well, the other two guys were apparently unable to respond to my emails/messages even after 24+ hours, so it's just this one opportunity.
You only need one, really.

gucci void main posted:

The biggest downside, as I said, is that I'm just about as far east in Philly as you can get, and considering the available routes and morning traffic, it's very likely that it would take just as long to get to get there from Baltimore as from where I live.
Anything in particular preventing you from moving closer if they hire you?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

You only need one, really.

Note that in each person's case, I only sent one message. Didn't mean that to sound as if I sent multiples.

quote:

Anything in particular preventing you from moving closer if they hire you?

A three year relationship. We agreed before that the NYC thing would have been fine because she has friends up there, so if she came up on weekends opposed to me coming home it wouldn't have been a bad thing. In this case, the company is more or less out in the sticks, and I can't stand living in non-urban environments. It's maybe only 45 minutes without traffic, but the morning commute is likely a nightmare due to the lack of major highways to get out to where they are.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I mean you only need one opportunity to work out

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

I mean you only need one opportunity to work out

Understood, though having more than one moving prospect isn't a bad thing to have, either, as it leads to more options.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Okay just updating on my job app situation. I went in for my interview in Chicago, and they made me an offer! And it's a good one! So I'm taking it!!!

I'm hype. Thanks so much again Ithaqua for helping me prep, and for everyone else who gave me advice ITT.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

Okay just updating on my job app situation. I went in for my interview in Chicago, and they made me an offer! And it's a good one! So I'm taking it!!!

I'm hype. Thanks so much again Ithaqua for helping me prep, and for everyone else who gave me advice ITT.

Congratulations!

The more competent developers that are employed, the less likely it is I have to maintain someone's lovely code in the future! :)

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

ullerrm posted:

seeing "implemented a B-tree" on a resume would be impressive for a relatively young developer.

Really? This was one of the basic assignments in the algorithms class at my state school, which I always figured was somewhat bad compared to other schools. Possible that I assumed wrong?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Safe and Secure! posted:

Really? This was one of the basic assignments in the algorithms class at my state school, which I always figured was somewhat bad compared to other schools. Possible that I assumed wrong?

It's not so much that it's taught as it is that people don't learn it. Plenty of people with degrees just scraped by without being strong on the fundamentals.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
There's a big difference between "Just did the work to complete the class" (I interviewed someone who said exactly this) and "Used it to do <foo> for my <bar> project because <foobar>."

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Where's a good place to go for career advice? I have a job offer but I'm not sure if it'll help me reach my career goals.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

wide stance posted:

Where's a good place to go for career advice? I have a job offer but I'm not sure if it'll help me reach my career goals.

This thread. What's the job offer and what are your career goals?

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Ithaqua posted:

This thread. What's the job offer and what are your career goals?

It's a C# position for an enterprise firm in a semi-ideal location. I don't think I want to go down the Microsoft path. Ideally I'd like to work at a small tech company in a major city (Chicago for instance). However,

1. Been unemployed for 2.5 months now. Have savings for about two years of cushion, mainly worried about the unemployment gap.
2. Don't have a CS degree, but do have a BS.
3. This will be a career change
4. Resume is already littered with 1-3 year stints. I'm not sure how bad this looks already.
5. Haven't worked on any open-source projects. Not sure if I'll even want to while working full-time.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wide stance posted:

It's a C# position for an enterprise firm in a semi-ideal location. I don't think I want to go down the Microsoft path. Ideally I'd like to work at a small tech company in a major city (Chicago for instance). However,

1. Been unemployed for 2.5 months now. Have savings for about two years of cushion, mainly worried about the unemployment gap.
4. Resume is already littered with 1-3 year stints. I'm not sure how bad this looks already.
5. Haven't worked on any open-source projects. Not sure if I'll even want to while working full-time.

You're not locked into one technology stack even if you're only professionally doing that one. It does make it more difficult to find things that have requirements of "N years experience in <other stack>" later on, but there you go.

2. What do you have a degree in? MIS?
3. Is it a change in that it's now development where you weren't doing development before? Is that the path you want to take?
4. How littered? If it's more than 2 or 3, that could start to look a little dicey but I don't know that it really gets all that much attention. If it were 3-6 month stints or less, that'd be a different story.
5. This won't necessarily be a barrier to hiring, if you're worried about that. The latter point may be true, though if you want to work in a different technology than your job allows, this is a good way to do so. There is a bit of "I already do this all day professionally" that can make side-development a turnoff, but if you find an itch you really want to scratch you'll do it :)

It kind of all hinges on what you've done and where you want to go. If this is your first development gig and it'd be an entry-level role then don't sweat too much about being locked in. It'll either pan out to be awesome or it can be a stepping stone to a better role (you get experience to build your resume, you learn some things, you meet people in the dev community, etc.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wide stance posted:

Do you know or want to know Rails, and what are your opinions on Miami?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How much does not having any side projects can hurt you professionally?

I mean, I thought I liked programming when I was in High-School (which doubled as a tech school in my case), and now that I'm working writing code during the day and going to CS school in the night, I just can't seem to bring myself to bother doing programming things in the weekends.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

HardDisk posted:

How much does not having any side projects can hurt you professionally?

I mean, I thought I liked programming when I was in High-School (which doubled as a tech school in my case), and now that I'm working writing code during the day and going to CS school in the night, I just can't seem to bring myself to bother doing programming things in the weekends.

Put your finished school projects on Github.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

If you have a money buffer, start working with an open source project. They'll accept people with little experience and it provides a public trail that you're not incompetent.