Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MrBling posted:

Season 1 has one of my favourite bits though. Vic locking T-Bone and Kern Little in a shipping container and telling them to sort out their differences.

I can not believe that was the original Black Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrBling posted:

Season 1 has one of my favourite bits though. Vic locking T-Bone and Kern Little in a shipping container and telling them to sort out their differences.
Those are the guys I was referring to. Forgot their names.

Yeah, that was one of the few good moments from them.

bobkatt013 posted:

I can not believe that was the original Black Ranger.

:aaaaa: mind = blown

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In fairness, Kern Little (Sticky Fingaz) is also Blade, so having him fight a dude was a little unfair.

edit: it was Rondell Robinson that was the black power ranger. Not T-Bone or Kern.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrBling posted:

In fairness, Kern Little (Sticky Fingaz) is also Blade, so having him fight a dude was a little unfair.

edit: it was Rondell Robinson that was the black power ranger. Not T-Bone or Kern.

Oh I know.
And he was the TV Blade. Doesn't count!

Also, if anyone is in for a real nerve-wracking experience, look up a Sticky Fingaz video on Youtube. He legitimately plays Russian Roulette. He seems pretty wasted. But goddamn it is unnerving.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Well half an hour gone to Google and I can't find that season one gif of Vic running THROUGH the fence that would show how awesome season one can be.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Remulak posted:

Well half an hour gone to Google and I can't find that season one gif of Vic running THROUGH the fence that would show how awesome season one can be.

which episode is it (and where abouts in the episode)? I could probably whip up a gif for you.

edit:

this?

MrBling fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 5, 2013

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I'm having knee surgery done next week and with the recent activity in this thread, one of the things I plan on doing while healing up is binging through this series for like the 10th time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

escape artist posted:

Oh I know.
And he was the TV Blade. Doesn't count!

Also, if anyone is in for a real nerve-wracking experience, look up a Sticky Fingaz video on Youtube. He legitimately plays Russian Roulette. He seems pretty wasted. But goddamn it is unnerving.

I love that Sticky was in the Shield and Fredro was in the Wire. Them Onyx dudes came up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ruddiger posted:

I love that Sticky was in the Shield and Fredro was in the Wire. Them Onyx dudes came up.

And they weren't your typical "rapper turned into terrible actor." Also like Method Man in the Wire, they were both excellent in their roles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

poo poo I need to watch this show, Sopranos, and Lost. drat all these good shows. As long as I dont have a family meeting

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

escape artist posted:

And they weren't your typical "rapper turned into terrible actor." Also like Method Man in the Wire, they were both excellent in their roles.

And like Marky Mark!

No but seriously the famous quote from Mark Wahlberg that can easily apply to 95% of the other rappers:

"When I sat down with her [Penny Marshall], I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."

I always thought that was brilliant, and hilarious at the same time. Not to belittle the effort that it takes to actually be a really good actor, or the performances that these guys have given.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

poo poo I need to watch this show, Sopranos, and Lost. drat all these good shows. As long as I dont have a family meeting

Since you said you haven't seen any of those shows... I don't know if your subtle allusion was intended or not.

KettleWL posted:

And like Marky Mark!

No but seriously the famous quote from Mark Wahlberg that can easily apply to 95% of the other rappers:

"When I sat down with her [Penny Marshall], I was like, 'Nah, I don't wanna act.' She goes, 'What do you mean? You're acting all the time, you're acting right now. You know, you're just acting like you're cool, you act like a tough guy. You know, take the pages. Go outside, look 'em over, and then come back in, and, and audition for one of the parts'."

I always thought that was brilliant, and hilarious at the same time. Not to belittle the effort that it takes to actually be a really good actor, or the performances that these guys have given.
That is hilarious.

I was thinking along the lines of Busta Rhymes, Ice Cube, Ludacris, hell, Eminem... Very talented rappers whose talents do not transfer from the microphone to the silver screen. Marky Mark is different, wherein he's a terrible rapper, but a serviceable actor.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
I love Shield and think it's one of the best shows ever, but one thing doesn't sit right with me. The Terry Crowley killing. After watching the entirety of the show a thought occured to me - they didn't have to kill him. I mean, they could just... sideline him like Tavon, right? And by this act, they were established by the writers as horrible people, cops killing cops, and up until the very end, it was by far the worst poo poo they pulled. I just didn't believe that they'd do it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tavon didn't really know anything, whereas Crowley was actively looking into their dodgy poo poo.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 5, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

machinegunmessiah posted:

I love Shield and think it's one of the best shows ever, but one thing doesn't sit right with me. The Terry Crowley killing. After watching the entirety of the show a thought occured to me - they didn't have to kill him. I mean, they could just... sideline him like Tavon, right? And by this act, they were established by the writers as horrible people, cops killing cops, and up until the very end, it was by far the worst poo poo they pulled. I just didn't believe that they'd do it.

Interestingly, when Shawn Ryan was asked if he changed anything what would it have been, and the only thing that came to mind was perhaps drawing out the struggle between Mackey and Crowly until killing him is the only option Vic sees about six episodes later instead.

That said, it actually works pretty perfectly as is. It's not at all uncharacteristic for Mackey (and an essential piece for explaining some earlier character development) when you take some factors into account (mainly the time-line).

• First, they've not really been on the job as this corrupt unit controlling LA's drug trade for that long. Each has sketchy past stuff, but this level of involvement is at most 3 months old (originating in Co-Pilot).
  • During these months they managed to keep Terry on the side-lines as an outsider but potential member, while unaware of his allegiance
  • The Pilot created the huge plot-point of change--Terry agrees officially, Acevada runs the job up to Gilroy, Gilroy informs Mackey.
  • Like the big corruption, this is his first time dealing with something of this caliber. As the show goes on he learns from each encounter and can better control the situation as the stakes increase, but here was a "panicked" easy sealing-off move Vic saw in killing Terry, and having been caught completely unaware, that feeling of betrayal is a huge factor
  • Roughly 24 hours from Vic finding out a member of his team has been undercover (with uncertainty all he knows/saw), Vic goes for the easy kill.
  • The aftermath: the killing doesn't sit well with Vic especially early on despite him rationalizing it every chance he gets; it inspires him to work harder to avoid murder as a first move, which is exactly the path we see him on for Gilroy's clusterfuck and expanding there in the series for people he considers "above the street" who didn't "choose the life"

Yeah that's not a move a Season 3+ Mackey would make with him constantly improving at the game he runs, but it makes sense for pilot/co-pilot Mackey and even plays a part in the character development leading to him developing that strong of a game. How do you get to Carnegie hall? Practice

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 5, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Not to mention, it was a great way to hook the audience, and to shock them, after only one episode. Audience members might not have stuck around for 6 episodes if it wasn't for the events occurring at the end of the pilot.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
If you're Latino/Mexican the show is hilarious because no one in the writer's room cared about correct Spanish, correct Spanish names, or anything plausible dealing with Latinos other than Aceveda. You have a guy's name change from Diego to Dieger because Chiklis can't pronounce Spanish, the Armadillo poo poo, etc.

There's one point in season 3 where a bunch of byz lats are calling men putas which I watched c. 2009 and it has in me in stiches to this day. Plus the last season Aceveda arc with an evil narcotraficante developer opening Plaza Mexico is pretty funny too.

And all the Sutter. All. The. Sutter.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2013

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

escape artist posted:

Not to mention, it was a great way to hook the audience, and to shock them, after only one episode. Audience members might not have stuck around for 6 episodes if it wasn't for the events occurring at the end of the pilot.

I know this is how it was for my roommates and I when we stumbled upon the first episode. We were going so bananas that the RA had to knock on our door to see what was up (bad timing I guess). I'm sure I would continued watching regardless but the only difference would be that Season 1 would be a lot more solid as a whole.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TUS posted:

I know this is how it was for my roommates and I when we stumbled upon the first episode. We were going so bananas that the RA had to knock on our door to see what was up (bad timing I guess). I'm sure I would continued watching regardless but the only difference would be that Season 1 would be a lot more solid as a whole.

I agree about the unevenness, but I don't know if I would have made it through another few episodes without it. And I drat sure know one of my former friends would not have. I had to hound him to watch ONE episode, but after that, he plowed through all 7 seasons in a month. I think he watched all of Season 7 in one sitting.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Season 1 is great, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

The HOE/SHOE couple, all the stuff in Dragonchasers, Copilot, the final montage.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

User-Friendly posted:

Season 1 is great, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

The HOE/SHOE couple, all the stuff in Dragonchasers, Copilot, the final montage.

Co-Pilot is season 2. I don't even remember the two or three other things to which you're referring.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

escape artist posted:

Co-Pilot is season 2. I don't even remember the two or three other things to which you're referring.

HOE/SHOE is that triangle with the two black guys and the rather large white women who keeps playing the two guys against each other. It's one of those Julian/Danny storylines. Each time they respond to a domestic disturbance she has switched one guy for the other. It happens 2 or 3 times. Tires getting slashed etc. And then one of them writes "HOE" on her door and rather than get it painted over when he then gets with her he just adds the S.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrBling posted:

HOE/SHOE is that triangle with the two black guys and the rather large white women who keeps playing the two guys against each other. It's one of those Julian/Danny storylines. Each time they respond to a domestic disturbance she has switched one guy for the other. It happens 2 or 3 times. Tires getting slashed etc. And then one of them writes "HOE" on her door and rather than get it painted over when he then gets with her he just adds the S.

That's right. Thanks for the reminder. That was a funny side-story.

I love how this show has B and C plots. Especially when secondary characters are so well cast and acted.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

escape artist posted:

Totally agreed. An originally not so enthousiastic friend I watched episode 1 with had this slack-jawed look of shock on her face when the ending credits were rolling and just said "Next episode. NOW."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Beause of the twist ending of the pilot, I managed to hook no less than 30 people on this show just by showing them the first episode. I litterally worse out my dvd copy of Season 1 because so many people borrowed it. At least a half dozen people watched the pilot and immediately called me and began the conversation with, "you motherfucker!" It is that addictive and they get hooked that fast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Since you said you haven't seen any of those shows... I don't know if your subtle allusion was intended or not.

I meant re-watch. I originally got into the show due to Homicide. Oh they cast Kellerman, then I watched the pilot and had to watch more.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

I meant re-watch. I originally got into the show due to Homicide. Oh they cast Kellerman, then I watched the pilot and had to watch more.

Oh, okay. I can vouch for The Wire being the greatest show on TV, and Sopranos coming in at number two. Never watched lost, though.

You know we have a Wire Rewatch thread going on right now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Oh, okay. I can vouch for The Wire being the greatest show on TV, and Sopranos coming in at number two. Never watched lost, though.

You know we have a Wire Rewatch thread going on right now?

Ya but it is not time for my yearly rewatch of the wire. I just rewatched it a couple of months ago.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya but it is not time for my yearly rewatch of the wire. I just rewatched it a couple of months ago.
I write out episode summaries with reviews, analyses and screenshots, for those who either don't want to re-watch it, or don't have access to it. It's very thorough. Takes about 2.5 hours per 1 hour episode. We'd love any contributions you can make. We talk about everything-- character paralllels, themes, motifs, cinematography, subtlety and things in the background of the show, that seem meaningless unless you really look into them. And since you have just seen the final seasons, you might be able to draw parallels from Season 5 to Season 1, which is where we are right now. There's a no spoiler-tag policy for the thread.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
just finished out the series. goddamn.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Awesome. It's that gif that got me interested in the show.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

maffew buildings posted:

just finished out the series. goddamn.

We need more of your thoughts/reflections, spoiler-tagged of course... We want to live vicariously through you, those of us who have seen the show at least 3 times through.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

escape artist posted:

We need more of your thoughts/reflections, spoiler-tagged of course... We want to live vicariously through you, those of us who have seen the show at least 3 times through.

Yes, please.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just finished re-watching it last night. What do you guys think Vic did after leaving the office? Did he go home and watch ESPN in his underwear or something? Did he go out on the streets and make deals with gangs, doing all the poo poo he did before?

Was there every any rumors on some sort of Shield spin-off? A setting like Farmington lends itself to a lot of potential for other stories to be told.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Joe Don Baker posted:

I just finished re-watching it last night. What do you guys think Vic did after leaving the office? Did he go home and watch ESPN in his underwear or something? Did he go out on the streets and make deals with gangs, doing all the poo poo he did before?

Was there every any rumors on some sort of Shield spin-off? A setting like Farmington lends itself to a lot of potential for other stories to be told.

I think he just wanted to feel some semblance of his old life. I don't think he did anything-- his crappy job depended on him being on the straight and narrow for 3 years, Olivia plainly said. Although, it is Vic and his moral compass has been broken for years now. I just felt like the ending implied he was in his own personal hell. Lost his kids, lost his passion (job), may as well be in a cell given his new job, at least there he could beat people up and assert his dominance.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 7, 2013

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

escape artist posted:

I think he just wanted to feel some semblance of his old life. I don't think he did anything-- his crappy job depended on him being on the straight and narrow for 3 years, Olivia plainly said. Although, it is Vic and his moral compass has been broken for years now. I just felt like the ending implied he was in his own personal hell. Lost his kids, lost his passion (job), may as well be in a cell given his new job, at least there he could beat people up and assert his dominance.

I think I read in an interview or some post-special that, and I apologize if this has been brought up before, all the characters got exactly what they didn't want to have happen. Also, no one on the show was given the last section/chapter of the script until they were set to film it, as Ryan wanted raw emotion stemming form the element of surprise.

And one of my favorite parst of the show? I don't remember the season/episode, but "Write this down! L...I...F...E... New word. NEW WORD! S...U...X...."

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

escape artist posted:

This is exactly what I think. The entire gravity of... well, everything just finally hit Vic like a ton of bricks. Pissed off about his choices/consequences of those choices/where it led him to that point. I love that the last shot sort of mimics the last shot of season 5 where Vic is promising they're going to find and kill Lem's killer, but this time... there's nothing for him out there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Also, I wonder what (post-finale spoilers) the Barn must be like without many of the mainstays there anymore. Pretty loving quiet and not NEARLY as interesting, I would think.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I wonder what (post-finale spoilers) the Barn must be like without many of the mainstays there anymore. Pretty loving quiet and not NEARLY as interesting, I would think.

Not exactly. I would think Billings would become the lead detective of the Strike Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I still remember the rumours of a Dutch spin-off

• Locked thread