Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
This is one I only just came across this morning while watching Firefly. In the episode "The Train Job", right after the opening credits, River is having a nightmare where she's in a lab being tested on. In the background, you can hear the sound of a train going over tracks, several scenes before the characters are told that the job will take place on a train. I'm not sure, but I think it's one of the first hints that River's actually psychic. (Do I even need to spoiler that? Everyone and their mum has seen Firefly by now, right?)

It's really quite subtle, it sounds almost like just weird nightmare lab type sounds. I've seen the episode a dozen times over the years, and I only noticed it today because my back was turned and I just heard the sounds alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
More from Hot Fuzz:

When Angel talks to Danny about being observant, he points out a guy who's wearing a big coat, maybe because he's hiding something. In the final shootout it's revealed that he's carrying a shotgun.

When Angel first goes into the hotel, there's a guy sleeping and a set of swords above the fireplace. Later the guy attacks him with one of the swords.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I saw Les Mis again last night, and I noticed a couple things: During Eponine's death, there is a flag or banner behind her head with the word mort on it. Also, nearly all of Valjean's major scenes have a cross (e.g. the hangers in the factory, the curtains in the hospital, two crossed boards in he and Cosette's house) somewhere in the frame.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Essentially, the movies Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead consist of 50% dominoes being set up and the other 50% of those dominoes being knocked down again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

qntm posted:

Essentially, the movies Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead consist of 50% dominoes being set up and the other 50% of those dominoes being knocked down again.

Hot Fuzz is more like 90% then 10%.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
It's kind of borderline to call it subtle, but my favorite thing about Hot Fuzz was Simon Skinner jogging right up alongside Angel at the beginning and confessing to murder.

"Lock me up. I'm a slasher... of prices."

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Just a few from Wreck-It Ralph, which I absolutely loved. There's a ton of video game influences, most of which are pretty obvious, so just skipping through that part to the more subtler parts.

-Alan Tudyk voiced King Candy and his voice was clearly influenced by Roger Rabbit. In one particular scene, King Candy pulls out some glasses from behind his back and said "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?" That line's taken directly from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Both movies also featured a fictional world in which characters in individual fictional worlds are part of a much larger integrated community.

-Additionally, in both WIR and WFRR, a bad guy posing as one of the locals attempts to eliminate fictional characters with a witch hunt/ostracization and in the end it's revealed he's the one who started all of it.

-The access code that King Candy had to get into the video game's code was written on a bar napkin from Tapper's with a few things written on it. I didn't get a good look at it; I'm dying to get a screenshot of it when it's on DVD.

-They drop a few hints that King Candy's car was originally Venellope's. First, the car horns are the same (the pedal one that Venellope created), and second you can see the car Venellope is driving on the side of the game when Ralph sees it.

-The movie also takes a lot of influence from alcoholism and Alcoholics Anonymous. Bad-Anon is a pretty realistic characterization of AA; Zangief even talks about having a moment of clarity. The movie extends the metaphor: a "bad guy" is an alcoholic. The characters will always be bad guys, but that doesn't mean they're bad people, which is a basic tenement of AA. Ralph, before he accepts that he's an alcoholic, even chases a physical manifestation of his superficial and selfish goals and only after he gets it does he see that the reward he wanted was hollow--his moment of clarity. Toward the end, when he's willing to sacrifice his dream, he accepts that he's a bad guy and that's OK because he's not a bad person. And then he goes back to Bad-Anon and starts going to meetings regularly.

-if you want some of the more subtler video game jokes, listen to the sound effects. Pretty sure every one was taken from an actual game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My favorite subtle moment in Wreck-It Ralph was how the citizens in his game all did that old game character bounce, constantly. Their entire decor was pixelated, and their movements were all low frame-rate. They weren't animated as well as the actual characters of their game, much like the crowds in Sugar Rush were also very generic for their sections.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

The broken bones posted:

Just a few from Wreck-It Ralph, which I absolutely loved. There's a ton of video game influences, most of which are pretty obvious, so just skipping through that part to the more subtler parts.

-Alan Tudyk voiced King Candy and his voice was clearly influenced by Roger Rabbit. In one particular scene, King Candy pulls out some glasses from behind his back and said "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?" That line's taken directly from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Both movies also featured a fictional world in which characters in individual fictional worlds are part of a much larger integrated community.

King Candy's voice is acutally a spot-on Ed Wynn impersonation, whom you might recognize best as the Mad Hatter in Alice and Wonderland.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

plainswalker75 posted:

King Candy's voice is acutally a spot-on Ed Wynn impersonation, whom you might recognize best as the Mad Hatter in Alice and Wonderland.

I knew I recognized that voice! I was going to look it up after the movie, but then I got thrown when I saw Tudyk in the credits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

plainswalker75 posted:

Which in turn was a clear inspiration for Roger Rabbit.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I loved all the tiny details they did to make things look videogame-y while at the same time being cutting-edge CGI. There's a part where Ralph is in his game and he gets splashed with something, and while the actual liquid effects are great the splashes are all made of right angles and pixel-shaped.

Also, Sgt. Calhoun's comically grimdark backstory is actually pretty creepy when you think about how when King Candy got eaten by a cybug it formed a horrifying cross between the two of them, which means that when her wedding got crashed and her fiance got eaten she then had to kill a horribly mutated cybug version of the man she had been just about to marry.

It's just such a great movie, it's like Disney and Pixar switched places when nobody was looking.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Farbtoner posted:

It's just such a great movie, it's like Disney and Pixar switched places when nobody was looking.

They've been the same company since 2006.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

mind the walrus posted:

Which in turn was a clear inspiration for Roger Rabbit.

I saw that on IMDB's page (that Tudyk's voice was inspired by Ed Wynn), but the line from WFRR was just too spot on. Glad that gap was filled in, thanks.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The broken bones posted:

-The access code that King Candy had to get into the video game's code was written on a bar napkin from Tapper's with a few things written on it. I didn't get a good look at it; I'm dying to get a screenshot of it when it's on DVD.

It's the Konami code: up up down down left right left right B A Start.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Besesoth posted:

Hacking must be the easiest job ever in Game Central Station.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Besesoth posted:

Yeah, I got that, it looked like there was more written on it though; like maybe who gave it to him.

Whitey Bear
Nov 29, 2006

The Streetwise Pimp
From way back at the start.

In the helicopter chase scene the T-1000 has four arms.

Strudel Man posted:

The Thing

edit: Or was it actually missing altogether? I can't remember for sure, and internet is giving me conflicting information. I thought I remembered it being in the wrong place.

His earring was missing altogether and when he was called on it he put his hand to the wrong ear.

I like the remake of The Thing and the Carpenter version is one of my all time favorite movies except for this - although it was suggested everyone eat from cans to prevent spreading the infection blood is drained from their fingers using the same uncleaned scalpel. Not really subtle, but a spoiler.

Whitey Bear has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Jan 5, 2013

burgeralarm
Jun 3, 2012

In In Bruges, Colin Farrell's character wrestles with the inevitability of his own death after killing a kid in a botched assassination attempt. At the beginning of the movie, he's wearing a collared shirt with a few buttons unbuttoned and we see him playing with them, buttoning more as his death becomes increasingly likely. When he tries to kill himself, for instance, they're all buttoned. At the end of the movie, everyone who dies is wearing a tie: Harry, Ken, and the midget. Yet Colin Farrell's character leaves in an ambulance, two buttons unbuttoned.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hot Fuzz again;

One of the Andys is getting pissed at Angel, and tells him 'You can't wait to jump into Popwells' Grave!'

Which he does. Sort of

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The vinyl record included in Austin Power's 1963 possessions is in the background of quite a few shots.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The broken bones posted:

Try as I might, I don't recall this line from WFRR, and I've watched it countless times.

EDIT: I was just going to say 'I remember the Joker saying it during the final fight...'.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jan 7, 2013

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

It IS in Batman, though, and king candy and joker kind of laugh the same...

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Try as I might, I don't recall this line from WFRR, and I've watched it countless times.

It's a pretty timeless joke and not specifically a homage to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Just because the line may (or may not) exist in a previous work does not automatically make it a reference. Like, Blizzard loves to drop pop culture references in it's games, but some nerds just have to really stretch it thin so that they can "claim" to have found some sort of reference in some item name or whatever. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It's a pretty timeless joke and not specifically a homage to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Just because the line may (or may not) exist in a previous work does not automatically make it a reference. Like, Blizzard loves to drop pop culture references in it's games, but some nerds just have to really stretch it thin so that they can "claim" to have found some sort of reference in some item name or whatever. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

See: The entirety of TVTropes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It's a pretty timeless joke and not specifically a homage to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Yeah, Bugs Bunny did the exact same joke (including incongruously pulling out a pair of glasses from nowhere) in the 1948 cartoon 'Hare Splitter' which means it was a well known reference back then.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So in Brother Bear Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis have a bit part as a pair or bull moose. When they make their exit off the film Rick Moranis has the line "Hey, you know what this calls for? A pile of delicious barley and amberweed on a cool bed of malted hops, eh.". A reference to Bob and Doug McKenzie, the beer obsessed brothers they're playing throughout the movie.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: I was just going to say 'I remember the Joker saying it during the final fight...'.

motherfucker, I was really proud of this one. I would've sworn on my mother's grave that was from Roger Rabbit.

It's kinda indicative of a character's cartoony silliness/campiness, though; particularly with Bugs and the Joker.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Going back to Men In Black for a moment, I was rewatching it not long ago and the scene where J asks if joining the MiB was worth the "catch" of severing all human contact jumped out at me. K, walking away, turns and says yeah, it is, but only if you're strong enough. The thing that gets me, though, is what's behind K for that shot.

There are at least three older couples out enjoying each others company, to make it completely clear what the real cost is. Join MiB, keep the Earth safe, whatever - you will never grow old with someone you love.

drat, son.

e: (of course that's not the case for K at the end of the movie but hey)

Traxus IV has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jan 20, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Incoherent Moron posted:

Not sure if I'm giving Roland Emmerich too much credit, or if it's really obvious to everyone but me, but I was watching Independence Day, and Randy Quaid's character is loving around in the airplane before the final dogfight. He presses a random button and arms one of the missiles, before fumbling around, hitting another random button and disabling it. I think his fumbling may have caused the mechanical fault which causes the missile to jam.

Pulling this one from the previous page because: holy poo poo, I never made that connection and it makes perfect sense. Here I was thinking, since 1996, it was just another cheap bit in a Hollywood script to ramp up tension instead of being something actually thought out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny little thing I just noticed while watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes on TV just now. In the scene where John Lithgow has a relapse and tries to steal a car Caesar was working on a model of the Statue of Liberty, which is incomplete from about the waist down. Looking just like the one from the original Planet of the Apes.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It's probably been mentioned but one of my favourite subtle moments is in "The Incredibles" When Incrediboy is bothering Mr.Incredible, and Mr.Incredible is trying to remember his name. He lists off a few names and settles on "Brodie!" Jason Lee plays Incrediboy/Syndrome, and his character in Mallrats/Several other Jason Lee films is named Brodie. Just a cool reference that I wouldn't have expected in a family film but I appreciated it.

Looks like your typical issue of Heavy Metal to me.

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jan 20, 2013

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
This was probably mentioned before but in Ferris Bueller's Day Off , the license plates of all the cars reference John Hughes' other movies.

Katie's (Mom) = VCTN (National Lampoon's Vacation)
Jeanie = TBC (The Breakfast Club)
Tom's (Dad) = MMOM (Mr.Mom)
Rooney = 4FBDO (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Lastly, Cam's father's ferrari was NRVOUS. I thought it was a really neat easter egg they put in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Pretty easy to see, but in the witch's cottage in Brave, everything in the woodcarving shop is a bear in some form. Mugs, toys, etc.

In Finding Nemo, the only fish in the dentist's tank, aside from Nemo, that is from the wild/ocean is Gill, who is a Moorish Idol. Moorish Idols are very expensive fish because they do so poorly in captivity, rarely eat, and almost all of them die within a year or so. Makes some grim sense when the other fish point out the girl's birthday present last year and Gill didn't seem to remember that fish; he wasn't in the tank then.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just saw Django Unchained. When Calvin Candie first appears, he offers Schultz and Django a drink and then gets one of his own, which arrives in a flashy-looking decorated coconut. I'm not sure it was a deliberate reference, but it seemed like an amazing counterpoint to the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. In that scene, Christoph Waltz's character, Colonel Landa, is calmly interrogating a nervous man and tells the man he may smoke his pipe if it makes him more comfortable. When the man has lit his pipe, Landa masterfully asserts complete dominance over the scene by bringing out his own pipe, which is large and expensive-looking. It's one of my favourite scenes in that movie. It occurred to me while watching Django that Candie is doing the exact same thing except it falls absolutely flat - he's got none of the style or poise that Landa had and his big upstagey drink just makes him look like a tacky idiot.

I don't know if it was a deliberate callback to that scene, but I definitely got something extra out of having seen both.

A slightly less subtle one: One of the members of the first gang that Django helps Schultz hunt is named "Crazy Craig Koons." The unusual "Koons" is the surname of Christopher Walken's watch-smuggling soldier in Pulp Fiction.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Also at the start of Django Unchained when Schultz and Django are in the bar having a beer together they both only take small sips defying the convention of characters guzzling their drinks down at the start of Tarantino films.

Actually there were a few of the old Tarantino signatures not used in the film unless I missed them. There was no especially long take, no car-boot view and no corpse view. I could be completely wrong and missed them but I have seen it twice now and actually looked out for them the second time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

fuckpot posted:

Also at the start of Django Unchained when Schultz and Django are in the bar having a beer together they both only take small sips defying the convention of characters guzzling their drinks down at the start of Tarantino films.

Actually there were a few of the old Tarantino signatures not used in the film unless I missed them. There was no especially long take, no car-boot view and no corpse view. I could be completely wrong and missed them but I have seen it twice now and actually looked out for them the second time.

The car-boot POV shot was when Django was hanging upside down and looking up at Walton Goggins, who is threatening to cut his junk off. Like the final shot of Inglourious Basterds, it's not from the trunk of a car but it's the same basic perspective.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

scary ghost dog posted:

The car-boot POV shot was when Django was hanging upside down and looking up at Walton Goggins, who is threatening to cut his junk off. Like the final shot of Inglourious Basterds, it's not from the trunk of a car but it's the same basic perspective.

I think the trunk shot is when Candie's men take Hildie out of the hotbox. Its a quick shot but it has all the elements.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Okay it's not a movie, but I'm watching ep 19 of the second season of Breaking Bad, and: the server who serves breakfast to Jane and her dad, during the opening credits, is wearing a shirt and an apron that are the exact same color as the opening credits. Also this whole Jane story is extremely sad and horrible :[ that's not a small thing but it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Everything in Breaking Bad is sad and horrible, no exceptions.

Walter White is a monster.