Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

My MS3 has the same issue, on and off for the past year+ actually (I let it go because it only gets cold enough to set a CEL during the winter). I'm going to replace the thermostat finally, probably this coming long weekend.
Mine was covered by warranty. I'll have to check if it was the extended warranty or the emissions warranty (PZEV model).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm at nearly 120k so well outside of any warranties :)

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
A HID housing ("the headlight") costs around $800 from the dealer. I found that out through insurance.. :negative:

ninjaedit: for a speed

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do have a laugh every time someone posts "OMG YOUR HIDZ ARE ILLEGAL UNLESS YOU HAVE AUTOLEVELING" seeing as the factory MS3 leveling setup is a knob you adjust, and the manual gives you a list of positions to set it to based on the weight in the car.

This isn't anything particularly special about our cars. The current gen. STi has the same sort of manual level adjustment and a table based on how much junk you've put in the hatch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm at nearly 120k so well outside of any warranties :)

I looked at my invoice and it was covered by the emission warranty. If you have a PZEV vehicle, that is good for 15 years / 150,000 miles!
edit: Well, call the dealer, Mazda might only honor it if you get it serviced in a PZEV mandated state (?). It's confusing!

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 28, 2012

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Well I officially joined the smoking exhaust club.

I went to pick up my girlfriend at her place, was idling outside and smelled something burning. Looked in my driver mirror and saw a huge plume of blue smoke behind my car. :( Car still runs and drives ok, the smoke went away after a few seconds. That was yesterday afternoon. Was idling outside my apartment waiting for someone to figure out how to open a gate and it happened again this evening.So, twice in two days.

Is this a death sentence for the turbo or should I not be concerned until it's always smoking? The problem being it's cold out now so my exhaust is always puffing. :/

What my options in regards to fixing the situation? My service advisor and I had already talked about before I started modding and he said they don't technically care, but when it comes to corporate I have to be 100% stock. So.. returning to stock with only 4500 miles left in my turbo warranty (I'm at 65,5xx now) isn't appealing. Plus I don't have that kind of time on my hands. I know they do the 5w-40 switch, then maybe the PCV/head switch and then they might do the turbo..

Are there good aftermarket replacements that are suitable bolt-ons? I'm fully bolted and don't forsee going much higher hp than what I have, except maybe a custom tune from Cobb so the new turbo doesn't have to be crazy; just something that works easily.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

Is this a death sentence for the turbo or should I not be concerned until it's always smoking? The problem being it's cold out now so my exhaust is always puffing. :/

What my options in regards to fixing the situation? My service advisor and I had already talked about before I started modding and he said they don't technically care, but when it comes to corporate I have to be 100% stock. So.. returning to stock with only 4500 miles left in my turbo warranty (I'm at 65,5xx now) isn't appealing. Plus I don't have that kind of time on my hands. I know they do the 5w-40 switch, then maybe the PCV/head switch and then they might do the turbo..

Well it should be 5w30 not 5w40. Ventilation kit works half the time so far, i've installed probably 20.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I looked at my invoice and it was covered by the emission warranty. If you have a PZEV vehicle, that is good for 15 years / 150,000 miles!
edit: Well, call the dealer, Mazda might only honor it if you get it serviced in a PZEV mandated state (?). It's confusing!

I really doubt the MS3 counts as PZEV, given the soot in the tailpipe.

Sublime Process posted:

Well I officially joined the smoking exhaust club.

I went to pick up my girlfriend at her place, was idling outside and smelled something burning. Looked in my driver mirror and saw a huge plume of blue smoke behind my car. :( Car still runs and drives ok, the smoke went away after a few seconds. That was yesterday afternoon. Was idling outside my apartment waiting for someone to figure out how to open a gate and it happened again this evening.So, twice in two days.

I think at this point the seals are damaged. What mods do you have that you'd need to undo? I know there's a much higher incidence of smoking turbos with modified exhausts but realistically those don't actually cause the problem.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really doubt the MS3 counts as PZEV, given the soot in the tailpipe.

When I got mine in 08, I remember the regular 3's were PZEV's, but the speeds weren't. This is in PA where we have CA emissions. Federal cars aren't IIRC.

e: my god the crap some people spout on other forums

PZEV means Partial Zero Emmissions Vehicle, the only cars that qualify for this are ones that run part time on electric only, thus producing emmission only part of the time.

opengl fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I have this idea about integrating a removable Nexus 7 into my dash so I have full time GPS and Google Music at my fingertips on the go. Where can I buy a replacement center console cubby cover? My idea involves hacking one up a bit and I'd like a spare just in case.

Edit: Used. I can't find much on ebay.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 31, 2012

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

SiB posted:

Well it should be 5w30 not 5w40. Ventilation kit works half the time so far, i've installed probably 20.

Oh, good then. I'm already running Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Do vent kits work with Cobb's SRI and TIP?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think at this point the seals are damaged. What mods do you have that you'd need to undo? I know there's a much higher incidence of smoking turbos with modified exhausts but realistically those don't actually cause the problem.

SRI, TIP, tmic, HFFP, Stage 2+ AP, Downpipe, BPV, RMM, shift weight, colder plugs (not changing that, because 'duh..)

Edit:

Has anyone used these guys? From what I gathered, $450 for a replacement turbo and two year warranty http://tinyurl.com/ac8a7wk

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 31, 2012

SiB
May 6, 2005
Have a look at these photos to figure out if its compatible with the SRI and TIP.

http://imgur.com/el7BB
http://imgur.com/78j1Y
http://imgur.com/BJNZo
http://imgur.com/1UlPf

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

SiB posted:

Have a look at these photos to figure out if its compatible with the SRI and TIP.

http://imgur.com/el7BB
http://imgur.com/78j1Y
http://imgur.com/BJNZo
http://imgur.com/1UlPf

Hmm.. They're both Cobb parts, so it seems I could .. wait, poo poo.. If my TIP is aftermarket, I can't use it. Right? :(

SiB
May 6, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

Hmm.. They're both Cobb parts, so it seems I could .. wait, poo poo.. If my TIP is aftermarket, I can't use it. Right? :(

I believe you are correct.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Dunno if this fits the thread exactly, but how's the long-term reliability of the n/a 1st gen Mazda6 4-cyl? Is it better to go with the V6? I'm thinking of getting a weekend car for bike trips and the 6 wagon fits the bill (is a wagon, has a manual transmission), but everything I'm looking at is getting on in years.

I don't really care about fuel economy as the car wouldn't get used that often and I don't drive to work. I just want something reliable and not dead boring to drive.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

If I were you I wouldn't bother with the vent kit. You've probably got a blown seal. Either go stock or look for a turbo.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

SynMoo posted:

If I were you I wouldn't bother with the vent kit. You've probably got a blown seal. Either go stock or look for a turbo.

If the problem is caused by the improper venting, wouldn't the same thing technically happen again to a new turbo? I'm slightly ignorant on that aspect, admittedly.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

VacaGrande posted:

Dunno if this fits the thread exactly, but how's the long-term reliability of the n/a 1st gen Mazda6 4-cyl? Is it better to go with the V6? I'm thinking of getting a weekend car for bike trips and the 6 wagon fits the bill (is a wagon, has a manual transmission), but everything I'm looking at is getting on in years.

I don't really care about fuel economy as the car wouldn't get used that often and I don't drive to work. I just want something reliable and not dead boring to drive.

I have a buddy with a 4-cly 6, and it's held up well mechanically. He's got over 120k on it now I believe and has only had minor maintenance required.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

VacaGrande posted:

I had a loaded 2005 6S GT that I bought with 73k and traded in two years ago on my 2006 MS6 Sport when it had about 130k. I never had a single problem during my ownership and only did routine maintenance (plugs, air filter, fluids, brakes, etc). It was ready for new suspension which is partly why I traded it in. The 6 speed AT was still shifting the only way I knew which seemed spot on. The engine/economy seemed to stay pretty much dead on as well. Everything worked, no leaking. Really no complaints other than it started to have a rougher ride (because it needed new shocks).
My wife drives a 2005 6i 4AT (blech) which she had when we started dating (I had the 6S at the time of dating, I knew it was love). It even lived a previous life as a rental if you'd believe. She bought it with about 25K on the odo and it is now rounding 104k. No mechanical problems have been experienced. Gets right about 25 mpg regardless of city/hwy driving, A/C on or off. At this mileage it is significantly more comfortable than the 6S was. The turning radius is much tighter and it is easier to throw around in corners when compared. Pressing the loud pedal makes it sound like your whipping hamsters in a wheel. The V6 had a great noise and much more confident passing power on the highway. Both engines have timing chains. The 2.3 is more heralded as a rock solid engine compared to the 3.0. I think with a 5 speed the car would be much better. Having experienced both for some 5 years I'd suggest either to you. I will say to get one with the GT aero package. They look infinitely better, and I think the 2005 was the best looking year. Hatch backs are ugly. The 2006 had slight interior changes which I didn't care for as much. I say drive both and see how you get along.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there any reason to not go with an Interstate battery for my MS6?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Interstate are actually the preferred batteries for our cars.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

They're sold on commission, but stocked in most shops because they don't charge anything to the shop until one is sold? They're pretty good batteries, but given how often you seem to get rid of yours, I'd throw the cheapest Wal-Mart one in it.. that's got at least 3 years in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hunter x az posted:

Interstate are actually the preferred batteries for our cars.

Good to know! I mean, it's what the car came with and the internet seems to love them.

Viggen posted:

They're sold on commission, but stocked in most shops because they don't charge anything to the shop until one is sold? They're pretty good batteries, but given how often you seem to get rid of yours, I'd throw the cheapest Wal-Mart one in it.. that's got at least 3 years in it.

I've had the MS6 for nearly two years!

I went with Interstate because they have a warehouse here in town and the dude gave me an extra core credit cause I had a second crappy battery sitting around.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

I've had the MS6 for nearly two years!

Think you'll manage 3 more?

Interstate is what I had in the 93 that decided a trip from ~5k to sea level to 12k back to 3k was too much, and it was only a couple years old when it decided to vent its' innards. That said, this was the first one I've ever had that had an issue other than :zombie:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Has anyone here tried to replace the fuel pump internals in an MS3? Is it a manageable install? The price jump for a complete HPFP over just the Autotech internals is pretty significant, but I'm wondering if I can really manage the replacement without ruining the pump.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The EPA just released its fuel economy rating for the 2014 Mazda6, which will supposedly be getting 26mpg city and 38mpg highway with the 2.5L Skyactiv engine that makes 184hp.

Has Mazda hinted at replacing the current gas guzzling 2.5L engine on the 3 with the Skyactiv 2.5L? Because that would really be the perfect amount of power for that car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

Think you'll manage 3 more?

Interstate is what I had in the 93 that decided a trip from ~5k to sea level to 12k back to 3k was too much, and it was only a couple years old when it decided to vent its' innards. That said, this was the first one I've ever had that had an issue other than :zombie:

I'll make it to at least 3 years!

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Tacier posted:

The EPA just released its fuel economy rating for the 2014 Mazda6, which will supposedly be getting 26mpg city and 38mpg highway with the 2.5L Skyactiv engine that makes 184hp.

Has Mazda hinted at replacing the current gas guzzling 2.5L engine on the 3 with the Skyactiv 2.5L? Because that would really be the perfect amount of power for that car.

I went to look at a MS3 two days ago and the salesman said they were being discontinued so I doubt it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Salespeople are a good source of information.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Folderol posted:

Has anyone here tried to replace the fuel pump internals in an MS3? Is it a manageable install? The price jump for a complete HPFP over just the Autotech internals is pretty significant, but I'm wondering if I can really manage the replacement without ruining the pump.

This install can lead to zoom zoom boom if you're not careful and there's little to no room for error. You have to take your time and be almost surgical about it. If you have any doubts, find a professional.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Braggo posted:

I went to look at a MS3 two days ago and the salesman said they were being discontinued so I doubt it.

They arent.

But the 2.5l Sky is coming to the 3 eventually, but I don't think it will be MY2014.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

air- posted:

This install can lead to zoom zoom boom if you're not careful and there's little to no room for error. You have to take your time and be almost surgical about it. If you have any doubts, find a professional.

Many thanks for the feedabck! That's more or less what I was thinking.

As an alternative, CP-e sells a completed HPFP assembly where all I'd need to do is remove the old pump and immediately install the new pump - no fiddling with the internals, etc. That seems like it'd be manageable, but am I wrong about that? Should I think twice about the basic pump removal/replacement as well?

e: AP and SRI incoming. HPFP next, however I wind up installing it.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 6, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the hood on the Speed3 steel or aluminum? I live in an area where they gravel heavily for winter, and the lovely Mazda paint already has a few tiny chips in it. (I took the thing home mid-November. :suicide:) It's not the paint chips themselves I'm concerned about so much as corrosion; by the time my 06 sedan got wadded up it had a few discolored spots on the roof, but I don't remember any on the hood.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

If the problem is caused by the improper venting, wouldn't the same thing technically happen again to a new turbo? I'm slightly ignorant on that aspect, admittedly.

The cause isn't necessarily improper PCV. This kit has been around for awhile it was never made standard. When they replaced my turbo they didn't do a vent kit. Of course they may not have done it because they expect this turbo to make it past 60k where it won't be their problem anymore.

Your immediate issue is a blown turbo. Keep an ear out, should start sounding like a dentist drill any day now. Keep an eye on your oil level also.

:ninja: fixed words.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Phy posted:

Is the hood on the Speed3 steel or aluminum? I live in an area where they gravel heavily for winter, and the lovely Mazda paint already has a few tiny chips in it. (I took the thing home mid-November. :suicide:) It's not the paint chips themselves I'm concerned about so much as corrosion; by the time my 06 sedan got wadded up it had a few discolored spots on the roof, but I don't remember any on the hood.

It's pretty drat heavy. I'm fairly certain that it's steel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

It's pretty drat heavy. I'm fairly certain that it's steel.

Seconded; the hood on our NB Miata was aluminum, and I could easily tell just by lifting it that it was way lighter than any other prop-rod-only hood I've ever had to lift. By comparison, the hood on my MS3 might be one of the heavier prop-rod-only hoods I've ever lifted (the one on my GMC has nice beefy springs to hold it wherever you put it, so you're fighting them more than the hood)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Duh, Phy, just grab a magnet and check. It's totally steel. Guess I ought to touch up those chips before I 3M it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What are the symptoms of a worn out side engine mount on a MS3? My little brother's '08 has increased vibration when changing gears and increased noise at idle. He did install an aftermarket rear mount but says it was fine for months following installing it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

SynMoo posted:

The cause isn't necessarily improper PCV. This kit has been around for awhile it was never made standard. When they replaced my turbo they didn't do a vent kit. Of course they may not have done it because they expect this turbo to make it past 60k where it won't be their problem anymore.

Your immediate issue is a blown turbo. Keep an ear out, should start sounding like a dentist drill any day now. Keep an eye on your oil level also.

:ninja: fixed words.

So if my turbo completely fails, will it do any damage to my engine other than lack of power? Can I just get a new turbo to replace the failing one and have my problems solved? If so, what is a good factory replacement? I'm not looking for superior power, just something good that can handle the amount of mods I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

What are the symptoms of a worn out side engine mount on a MS3? My little brother's '08 has increased vibration when changing gears and increased noise at idle. He did install an aftermarket rear mount but says it was fine for months following installing it.

In my case, it was orange poo poo everywhere:

I posted about the replacement a few months back when I swapped both it and the RMM out for James Barone Racing 70 durometer mounts.