Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just youtubed that scene to see if I would be interested.

They're trying to assassinate the president with pistols from 70 yards away? That is the silliest thing I have ever seen. If this is representative of how realistic the show is, I think I'll pass.

This dramatic show doesn't meet my arbitrary definition for realism! It must be hogwash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Thwomp posted:

This dramatic show doesn't meet my arbitrary definition for realism! It must be hogwash!

Yes for a show that's hyped about how realistic and grounded it is, it does detract.

I can live with Carl and the other survivors headshotting Zombies from a football field away, The Walking Dead isn't meant to be realistic. I do however expect my "serious dramas" to be grounded in reality.

Unless they're mental patients or have been watching too many movies, no one is going to try to pistol snipe someone. Firing a pistol accurately is hard to do at 5 feet, let alone across a street and 5 stories up.

If that's the level of realism I'm going to get with this, I might as well watch "Commander in Chief" with Geena Davis.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 4, 2013

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

axleblaze posted:

I find it really weird to think that the nudity in V/H/S was just thrown in there to titillate because every scene with nudity it's used in such an immensely violating, creepy manner. It also all pretty much does work within the narrative.

and yet every scene in which there is nudity could have been done entirely without it (with the possible exception of the succubus thing). Would the haunted house/alien/whatever the gently caress story have suffered without the giant tit flashing? It was totally extraneous to the actual story. You can certainly gather that the two principles are in a relationship, and I can't imagine that you'd be less disgusted with what eventually happens if there weren't a set of giant boobs shaking around at one point.

Even setting that aside, I feel like the argument that they weren't just gratuitous boobs for the sake of "HEY BOOBS" is pretty crushed by the fact that as the credits roll, they replay the second or two where those dipshits at the beginning grab that girl in the parking garage and lift up her shirt. I mean, not just a quick replay, they roll it back and forth probably five times.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That is the silliest thing I have ever seen. If this is representative of how realistic the show is, I think I'll pass.
Can't you spoiler stuff like that for people who haven't seen the show? This IS the Netflix thread, it's fair to assume people are looking to get into stuff without knowing spoilers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yes for a show that's hyped about how realistic and grounded it is, it does detract.

I can live with Carl and the other survivors headshotting Zombies from a football field away, The Walking Dead isn't meant to be realistic. I do however expect my "serious dramas" to be grounded in reality.

Unless they're mental patients or have been watching too many movies, no one is going to try to pistol snipe someone. Firing a pistol accurately is hard to do at 5 feet, let alone across a street and 5 stories up.

If that's the level of realism I'm going to get with this, I might as well watch "Commander in Chief" with Geena Davis.
You're also not getting any background from just watching that clip though.

The assassins turn out to be just hard-right white supremacists upset that the President's (white) daughter is dating his (black) bodyman. It's actually an attempt to kill the bodyman. They only graze the president by accident, hit another bystander (Josh), spray bullets most everywhere else on the scene, and completely miss their intended target.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They're trying to assassinate the president with pistols from 70 yards away? That is the silliest thing I have ever seen. If this is representative of how realistic the show is, I think I'll pass.

You must be a hit at all the parties.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

stimpy posted:

and yet every scene in which there is nudity could have been done entirely without it (with the possible exception of the succubus thing). Would the haunted house/alien/whatever the gently caress story have suffered without the giant tit flashing? It was totally extraneous to the actual story. You can certainly gather that the two principles are in a relationship, and I can't imagine that you'd be less disgusted with what eventually happens if there weren't a set of giant boobs shaking around at one point.

Even setting that aside, I feel like the argument that they weren't just gratuitous boobs for the sake of "HEY BOOBS" is pretty crushed by the fact that as the credits roll, they replay the second or two where those dipshits at the beginning grab that girl in the parking garage and lift up her shirt. I mean, not just a quick replay, they roll it back and forth probably five times.

yes the tits in the alien story added alot. I posted about it in the thread:

Once again, I disagree that it serves no purpose. The first time we are the violators. It's a private moment and we are it turns us into the male gazey violator in the context of the film. The guy is supposed to be there and it is his moment. We re intruding and we are creepy for doing it. The second time we are still the violators but so is the guy and we share that moment with him this time, putting us on the same level as the villain. It would have been easier to cut away but it's far more uncomfortable to have this moment where we share something awful with the villain

Like in general the nudity shows the intimacy of the conversation. It sets the tone to what level this was not meant for our eyes.

Also, the end credits are nothing but clips of the tapes from the guys fromt he wrap around story so it makes sense that clip would be in there. I think it's supposed to be the videos that they're putting out online. Also, as I said earlier the tits there are what the movie uses to make them into villains.

And those three scenes are all the nudity in the film so :shrug:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

casa de mi padre posted:

Can't you spoiler stuff like that for people who haven't seen the show? This IS the Netflix thread, it's fair to assume people are looking to get into stuff without knowing spoilers.

Sorry you're very right. For some reason I thought the original post that mentioned it didn't have it spoilered.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You must be a hit at all the parties.

You've clearly not that familiar with firearms.

The same way everyone moans and groans at the hokey science and technobabble in CSI and NCIS? It's the same feeling when I see Hollywood gunplay in what is billed as a "serious drama".

Every time a cop racks a shotgun in a serious police procedural, you're drawn out of the moment because you realize he just ejected a live shell. Same with this.

Thwomp posted:

You're also not getting any background from just watching that clip though.

The assassins turn out to be just hard-right white supremacists upset that the President's (white) daughter is dating his (black) bodyman. It's actually an attempt to kill the bodyman. They only graze the president by accident, hit another bystander (Josh), spray bullets most everywhere else on the scene, and completely miss their intended target.

Thank you! Stupid inbred nazis is something I can understand. Crisis averted.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 4, 2013

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like v/h/s because I found it kinda boring and the acting was terrible. I also had no idea what the point of the movie was. There seemed to be only the loosest story explaining why the clips were being watched. I mean if I was the dude in the movie that was watching movies I would have just fast forwarded till I saw tits or just turn it off after five seconds.

I think people should watch troll hunter if they want a good found footage movie.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

Sheen's introduction late in the pilot ranks up there with one of my favorite character intros ever. They talk about him the whole episode without saying much more than, "He is the president." And that is enough to make him seem mythical. Then he shows up with that bit about the first commandment and when they show him he's just in sweats and is this short, wrinkly old man. But you still instantly respect and are kind of in awe of him. Even though he crashed his bike.

It helps that his first line is "I am the Lord thy God".

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Every time a cop racks a shotgun in a serious police procedural, you're drawn out of the moment because you realize he just ejected a live shell. Same with this.

This rules out so much media for you I have a hard time believing you actually care that much.

It's particularly silly to reject a show like WW over it since the show isn't about gun violence, it's one scene amongst 7 seasons of television. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I've never heard WW described as "incredibly realistic and grounded" though. It actually doesn't have a great grasp of real-world politics, but it has a fantastic grasp of the theatricality of politics which is all you should really ask for from a work of fiction. If you're interested in any way you'd be doing yourself a big disservice to write off the whole show because the guns aren't realistic enough.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 4, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
One of my favorite things is when gun nerds start complaining about some unrealistic gun thing ruining a movie/tv show for them, because it makes it really easy to see whose opinion to completely disregard.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

maxnmona posted:

One of my favorite things is when gun nerds start complaining about some unrealistic gun thing ruining a movie/tv show for them, because it makes it really easy to see whose opinion to completely disregard.

Oh cool. Do you have any other favorite things you'd like to tell us about Oprah?

For actual content, Pumpkin starts streaming tomorrow. It's a fantastically dark comedy about a sorority girl who falls in love with a mentally challenged guy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You've clearly not that familiar with firearms.

The same way everyone moans and groans at the hokey science and technobabble in CSI and NCIS? It's the same feeling when I see Hollywood gunplay in what is billed as a "serious drama".

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Television and Film are not real life.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SRM posted:

About drat time!

Some of the first episodes involve Zim harvesting the organs of his classmates to become the "healthiest" and there's a sight gag where an intestine rolls out his mouth. Another episode has a kid who won't leave Zim alone, so at the end of the episode Zim gives him a present which rips his eyes out and replaces them with mechanical ones that make the kid chase after squirrels.

The show is insane and beautiful and incredibly strange, and has held up pretty drat well.

Zim definitely isn't the piece of brilliance I thought it was as a teenager, and compared to modern cartoons like Adventure Time and Korra that look gorgeous in HD the animation looks pretty primitive by comparison, but it's definitely a unique little beast. When I re-watched it the thing that I love the most about it is just how awful the world the characters inhabit is in every way: every surface is stained and dirty, everyone is either sadistic and shrill or passive to the point of catatonia, it's just so oppressive and horrible

casa de mi padre posted:

Men can be critical of misogyny and the male gaze. Even while practicing those very things. The world is very complex.

Oh, I know that. I'm just saying that having actual women work on the movie would probably have done a lot more good rather than pulling the usual Just World thing where the guys in the movie are bad enough for it to be acceptable to feel good watching them get killed.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The difference is that shows like CSI have a measured and observable effect on how actual people perceive criminal justice and act on juries and when a person talks about actual science in a pleasant way it's fun and entertaining. When gun spergs :goonsay: about how a piece of metal that launches other smaller pieces of metal great distances isn't acting the way that mechanical contraptions that make a lot of little pointy chunks of metal go through the air fast should it's boring at best and more often than not obnoxious and creepy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
gently caress if I care if it's creepy, it pulls me out of a serious movie/tv show. The same with how my sister rarely watches medical dramas because she works in an actual emergency room and finds the hollywood dramatizations too silly.

GonSmithe posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Television and Film are not real life.

Cool. So an inaccuracy has never ruined a single scene in a movie or TV show for you? That's great, I applaud you for being able to go into auto-pilot at will. It must be a valuable survival skill for you.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2013

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Welcome home.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I have to admit, I never thought I'd see "action scenes in The West Wing" as a discussion topic.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

gently caress if I care if it's creepy, it pulls me out of a serious movie/tv show. The same with how my sister rarely watches medical dramas because she works in an actual emergency room and finds the hollywood dramatizations too silly.

Cool. So an inaccuracy has never ruined a single scene in a movie or TV show for you? That's great, I applaud you for being able to go into auto-pilot at will. It must be a valuable survival skill for you.

You have brain problems and I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You have brain problems and I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

I'm sorry I'm not living up to your standards for anonymous internet discussion, user Mechafunkzilla.

All I wanted to know is if this would be the serious drama everyone was hyping it up to be, or the usual broadcast drama. It was recommended that new viewers start with the assassination scene, I youtubed it and was not impressed, so I wanted to know if this was about the standard of drama I should expect from "The West Wing".

Lo and behold, every nerd with fond childhood memories of Martin Sheen treats this inquiry as an assault on their precious firstborn, and here we are.

At any rate, I'm done with this. Thank you Thwomp for a meaningful contribution, I'll give West Wing a try.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 4, 2013

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
oh jesus please stop. Can someone just send this guy to Siberia already?

Magnus Gallant posted:

I didn't really like v/h/s because I found it kinda boring and the acting was terrible. I also had no idea what the point of the movie was. There seemed to be only the loosest story explaining why the clips were being watched. I mean if I was the dude in the movie that was watching movies I would have just fast forwarded till I saw tits or just turn it off after five seconds.

I think people should watch troll hunter if they want a good found footage movie.

As something of an acting snob myself, I really don't understand complaints about the acting. Found footage movies are generally improvised, so yeah, the dialogue is going to seem a bit weird and stilted when compared to scripted works, so cut the actors some slack, they're pretty much on their own. But honestly outside of the 3rd segment, which god-awfully acted, I liked most of the performances. The 4th stands out to me in particular. If that last shot of Emily's face doesn't break your heart than you are a machine.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Beyond sane knolls posted:

oh jesus please stop. Can someone just send this guy to Siberia already?

As something of an acting snob myself, I really don't understand complaints about the acting. Found footage movies are generally improvised, so yeah, the dialogue is going to seem a bit weird and stilted when compared to scripted works, so cut the actors some slack, they're pretty much on their own. But honestly outside of the 3rd segment, which god-awfully acted, I liked most of the performances. The 4th stands out to me in particular. If that last shot of Emily's face doesn't break your heart than you are a machine.

I agree. V/H/S sucked.

Bad acting, the bridging story made very little sense. And the way she cut that guy's throat was totally unrealistic. There wasn't even an artery where she started! I get what they were going for and I appreciate it, but if you want good found footage, you're better off sticking with Troll Hunter.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 4, 2013

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

All I wanted to know is if this would be the serious drama everyone was hyping it up to be, or the usual broadcast drama. It was recommended that new viewers start with the assassination scene, I youtubed it and was not impressed, so I wanted to know if this was about the standard of drama I should expect from "The West Wing".

As a big West Wing fan I think this is a terrible idea. The assassination sequence, while exciting, is probably the must un-West Wing moment in the series. The lighting, the cinematography, the oppressive atmosphere, it's barely even the same show.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

maxnmona posted:

There is also a scene in the West Wing where they are talking about a F-117. They call it a stealth fighter... TWICE! Bone-head writers don't even know it's actually a stealth bomber.

e; I guess after looking it up that's what it is commonly referred to, gently caress you.

MAJOR STRYkER fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 5, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oh cool. Do you have any other favorite things you'd like to tell us about Oprah?

For actual content, Pumpkin starts streaming tomorrow. It's a fantastically dark comedy about a sorority girl who falls in love with a mentally challenged guy.

This forum is called "Post Your Favorite"

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Why wouldn't you just watch the first episode of The West Wing to see if you're interested in The West Wing. I'm in season three right now but I feel like it's a pretty accurate representation of the show.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Human Tornada posted:

Why wouldn't you just watch the first episode of The West Wing to see if you're interested in The West Wing. I'm in season three right now but I feel like it's a pretty accurate representation of the show.

Or if you really have to skip ahead, just go to the episode with the Butterball Hotline.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
West Wing really does start out as it means to go on. The Mary Marsh stuff, Bartlet being awesome, Sam being kind of a dip - it's not like trying to get a bead on (f'rinstance) Cougar Town or Babylon 5 from their first couple episodes.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Human Tornada posted:

Spend an hour of my time to see if I like something? gently caress no, who has that kind of time? Now let me argue about gun realism in TV shows.

Sometimes "wrong facts" pull me out of a show but if it's a good show it pulls me right back in by being good. Then I don't think about it because I realize that television writers are humans too and make mistakes. Or that sometimes "how things actually work" gets in the way of getting the story done in 44 minutes.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

casa de mi padre posted:

Spend an hour of my time to see if I like something? gently caress no, who has that kind of time? Now let me argue about gun realism in TV shows.

Sometimes "wrong facts" pull me out of a show but if it's a good show it pulls me right back in by being good. Then I don't think about it because I realize that television writers are humans too and make mistakes. Or that sometimes "how things actually work" gets in the way of getting the story done in 44 minutes.

Speaking of things that completely pull me out of movies did you guys see that whole "one bullet" theory in that JFK movie. That is the stupidest most convoluted unreal thing ever and completely ruined the movie for me. How in the hell did the writers expect people to believe that a magical bouncing bullet did all that damage to JFK and the people in his car. What a crock of poo poo.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Seems like it's about to get real in here.... *lowers aviator* tactically real.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

There is also a scene in the West Wing where they are talking about a F-117. They call it a stealth fighter... TWICE! Bone-head writers don't even know it's actually a stealth bomber.

e; I guess after looking it up that's what it is commonly referred to, gently caress you.

There's no issue there, since the F-117 was touted as "the stealth fighter" even if it does just drop bombs on things. Fun little fact -- it looks like an old faceted wireframe model because, well, it is: the computers of the time couldn't model the radar reflections off of curved surfaces, and it basically ended up being proof that with enough computers you can make a rock controllable. Anyway, when an Air Force veteran talks about previously ordering the use of anti-ship missiles against Gaddhafi's Air Force I have to wonder if, in between coke binges, Sorkin could have had a consultant look for gaffes. I can totally understand someone with an interest in firearms thinking, without any context, that the assassination scene was silly. Unless you know that it's a couple of teenage white supremacists trying to kill Charlie it seems an unlikely plan. Hell, I'm not a gun aficionado but I was struck by the fact that one of them was loading a magazine as they were waiting -- I think one would come to an assassination with this detail covered! So give the guy a break.

Regardless of issues with technical details, or continuity, or even how goddamned unlucky or inept an administration would have to be to have the President shot, multiple secret service agents killed including one because he got cocky in a convenience store, the President's daughter kidnapped, it remains one of my favorite television series ever, and its availability on Netflix has cut into my productivity. Please, watch it from the beginning. The first episode sets the tone. If you like it, you'll like the show even through its uneven times or the seventh season, which just didn't work for me even if other people think it's great.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry to derail but if you haven't seen Once Upon a Time you should.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Volume posted:

Sorry to derail but if you haven't seen Once Upon a Time you should.

And I'll go against this and say you absolutely should not watch Once Upon a Time because it is badly written, uninteresting shlock.

I've only seen two episodes, though, when my mom was watching it. But those two episodes turned me off from ever wanting to watch more.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
It's silly and melodramatic but I've strangely enjoyed the show. My guilty pleasure I guess.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

uh, am I missing here something or why hasn't Iron Sky been mentioned?

You know. That Nazis on the moon movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

So is it worth the watch? Like, in a so terrible it's good sort of way or what?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Christoff posted:

uh, am I missing here something or why hasn't Iron Sky been mentioned?

You know. That Nazis on the moon movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

So is it worth the watch? Like, in a so terrible it's good sort of way or what?

Its rare when a movie tries to be outrageous and hilarious. Look at all the Damon Wayans movies. If this was done with a serious effort to make it a "serious movie" I think it would have had a chance. Otherwise for this to be a good comedy they would have needed the efforts of the Southpark crew or Sam Rami.
As for myself this movie put me to sleep like Nyquil in under half an hour.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Contrary to the post above, I saw Iron Sky in the theater and I thought it was a hoot. It's very tongue-in-cheek, and they did some neat things cinematically. It was less of a "laugh at joke here" kinda film and more of a "laugh at the absurdity of it all" affair.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Danger posted:

Seems like it's about to get real in here.... *lowers aviator* tactically real.

Well since someone brought up Invader Zim already, I always think of this scene when someone is going on about realism and believability.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eFUEXLp_68

Zim is still a lot of fun for some of it's dark moments.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Alan Smithee posted:

Any of you using Amazon Prime streaming with any regularity? I wouldn't normally bother but I just signed up because the 2 day shipping is the bomb and the streaming service is a nice extra.

I would rave about Amazon Prime if there was a thread for it. Whenever Netflix doesn't have something chances are Amazon has it, and if I have to 'rent' it for 2.99 then that's cool with me— at least I can get instant gratification. And also everything else I buy is 2-day for free, or next day for 4.99 so that's killer. If instant video doesn't have it then nobody does and you have to buy it or borrow it from someone anyway.

There's a thread in SA-Mart where you can share Prime accounts (Amazon allows 4 family member/extra accounts and 5 people split the bill), I gave out my "family" slots to 4 other goons a while back, and they all paid $20 to join my account, I just forgot to charge them for the following years haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GonSmithe posted:

And I'll go against this and say you absolutely should not watch Once Upon a Time because it is badly written, uninteresting shlock.

I've only seen two episodes, though, when my mom was watching it. But those two episodes turned me off from ever wanting to watch more.

I agree, it's some of the worst written television I've ever watched and because of the girlfriend I have to watch it all the loving time.

• Locked thread