Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Joramun posted:

You're forgetting the redesigned model that came out in 2011. So the Wii has had 3 installments so far, just as much as the DS had (Phat, Lite, DSi) for example.

That wasn't an upgrade, though. It was just a bit cheaper because of its lack of GameCube compatibility.

Note: Over 1000 people have voted "Waluigi"

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I've been getting a lot of weird glitches during Nintendoland lately. Music won't play at all during some parts (no more NES Metroid intro theme when selecting number of players for Metroid Blast, some stages on Pikmin just go silent, etc). Sometimes I'll select a game and it will kick me out back to the game selection screen. And a few times on Metroid Blast, whenever I beat the level where you are protecting the Miis from being picked up by Metroids, nothing happens when I beat the level. It just says success then the camera freaks out and cuts to a third person angle where I can see myself moving around but nothing happens until I quit out back into the menu.

I miss the Metroid player select music most of all!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Joramun posted:

You're forgetting the redesigned model that came out in 2011. So the Wii has had 3 installments so far, just as much as the DS had (Phat, Lite, DSi) for example.

My mistake doesn't really change my argument. With Nintendo DS those are clearly features being added with each new model. With each new "model" in the Wii, you aren't getting much benefit except cost savings I guess. Didn't they remove gamecube support in the 2011 version and doesn't the new system in Canada have no internet capabilities?

My point is, unless you are the kind of person who trades in and re-buys consoles every few months to a year there is a solution to keeping your digital purchases.

Maybe i'm crazy, but the article sounds like good news to me. If I was done with my Wii-U I could trade it in to gamestop and maybe get $150 dollars if i'm lucky. I've bought Scribblenauts, Little Inferno and Nano Assault digitally and now those games are going to add value in addition to the already obvious reasons it's best not to trade in things at gamestop. Or if I was buying a Wii-U used and it happened to have some free games on it, that would be pretty sweet as well.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

katkillad2 posted:

Can someone explain why anything in that article could be interpreted as negative and/or "Nintendo is bad at internet"?

Don't trade in and rebuy consoles and there is no issue. If something happens to your console, currently Nintendo can transfer your purchases to your new console. If anything, it's nice for the consumer because it adds value to the console if/when you do sell it. I guess if you buy consoles and trade them in and rebuy them every 6 months yea it's pretty lovely. ( Why would anyone do that to begin with, or at least try to justify it as reasonable? )

Edit: And I hope nobody tries to use handhelds as an argument. The Wii never got an "upgrade", besides different colors, until a few months ago and isn't that just Canada only?

Because it's completely unneccessary to tie your purchases to anything other than an account you can transfer between consoles and the fact that you're somehow trying to argue that doing as I please with the consoles I bought is somehow not ok or a thing only poor people do is just laughable. Just one example, if the Wii had had user accounts, people could enable those on their Wii U without having to jump through ridiculous hoops to get access to the poo poo they paid for.

Edit: And I hope no one uses completely legitimate argument as an argument. :downsrim:

katkillad2 posted:

Maybe i'm crazy

You're not, you just sound like a Nintendo shill.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

My mistake doesn't really change my argument. With Nintendo DS those are clearly features being added with each new model. With each new "model" in the Wii, you aren't getting much benefit except cost savings I guess. Didn't they remove gamecube support in the 2011 version and doesn't the new system in Canada have no internet capabilities?

My point is, unless you are the kind of person who trades in and re-buys consoles every few months to a year there is a solution to keeping your digital purchases.

Maybe i'm crazy, but the article sounds like good news to me. If I was done with my Wii-U I could trade it in to gamestop and maybe get $150 dollars if i'm lucky. I've bought Scribblenauts, Little Inferno and Nano Assault digitally and now those games are going to add value in addition to the already obvious reasons it's best not to trade in things at gamestop. Or if I was buying a Wii-U used and it happened to have some free games on it, that would be pretty sweet as well.

I sincerely doubt that Gamestop or wherever is going to factor in what games are free to download into your console's value. That would be both kind of a pain for them to check and a huge pain to price when they put it up for sale.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nick at Nite posted:

I sincerely doubt that Gamestop or wherever is going to factor in what games are free to download into your console's value. That would be both kind of a pain for them to check and a huge pain to price when they put it up for sale.

Read that again... he's saying that this is a reason not to trade it in to GameStop and instead sell it elsewhere.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

katkillad2 posted:

No, the article is not good news, especially for Nintendo. Those digital purchases should stick to your account, like steam, so that if for whatever reason you repurchase a new machine you can redownload games you already paid for. It's a dumb oversight Nintendo has had years to avoid but didn't.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Read that again... he's saying that this is a reason not to trade it in to GameStop and instead sell it elsewhere.

Ah, yeah, I totally misread that first thing in the morning.

I guess I'm confused how that can in any way be interpreted as "good news," then. I don't really know another good marketplace to sell a used console save "to a friend-" I know I'd take "used wii u with the following games" on eBay as shady as hell since there'd be no way to verify before plugging the thing in yourself.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Katana Gomai posted:

Because it's completely unneccessary to tie your purchases to anything other than an account you can transfer between consoles and the fact that you're somehow trying to argue that doing as I please with the consoles I bought is somehow not ok or a thing only poor people do is just laughable. Just one example, if the Wii had had user accounts, people could enable those on their Wii U without having to jump through ridiculous hoops to get access to the poo poo they paid for.

Edit: And I hope no one uses completely legitimate argument as an argument. :downsrim:

You're not, you just sound like a Nintendo shill.

Hypotheticals like "I bought a wii-u at launch, sold it 2 weeks later because screw nintendo, but now i'm rebuying it for monster hunter and where are my downloaded games" are what i'm talking about. If someone either has that kind of money to waste or is just bad with money in general then I guess that's their problem, but no I don't consider it a valid argument when you know how things work on the console beforehand. This scenario right here is the only way anyone currently gets screwed over out of digitally purchased items.

I'm not saying something like how 360 handles license transfers isn't preferable and it should probably be a standard, but it's not currently that way with the Wii-U. I don't think having a different perspective makes me a shill.

Nick at Nite posted:

Ah, yeah, I totally misread that first thing in the morning.

I guess I'm confused how that can in any way be interpreted as "good news," then. I don't really know another good marketplace to sell a used console save "to a friend-" I know I'd take "used wii u with the following games" on eBay as shady as hell since there'd be no way to verify before plugging the thing in yourself.

I guess you haven't ever taken advantage of SA-Mart? 3DS's that had the ambassador games were going for a nice portion more than 3DS's without the ambassador games, like 20-30 dollars more when I was upgrading to the XL a few months ago. I can't sell the games i've spent thousands of dollars buying on xbox live unless I want to sell my username/account or something. Having digital games tied to a system means if I decide to sell my system I could get additional money. Maybe it's a dumb mistake on Nintendo's part, but I don't see how this information hurts me as a consumer.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there actual new information in that Eurogamer article? I was under the impression that we knew all this stuff already.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

Is there actual new information in that Eurogamer article? I was under the impression that we knew all this stuff already.

Well we didn't know that even if you wipe your console, the games are still registered to it and freely downloadable.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

katkillad2 posted:

Hypotheticals like "I bought a wii-u at launch, sold it 2 weeks later because screw nintendo, but now i'm rebuying it for monster hunter and where are my downloaded games" are what i'm talking about. If someone either has that kind of money to waste or is just bad with money in general then I guess that's their problem, but no I don't consider it a valid argument when you know how things work on the console beforehand. This scenario right here is the only way anyone currently gets screwed over out of digitally purchased items.

I'm not saying something like how 360 handles license transfers isn't preferable and it should probably be a standard, but it's not currently that way with the Wii-U. I don't think having a different perspective makes me a shill.

I haven't been through the Wii U documentation thoroughly, but I'm pretty sure there's no paragraph explaining that purchases are tied to that console and can be downloaded after the fact even after restoring the OS to defaults.

Your argument that you can sell that system with those games attached to it is good, but it's a bit of a risk since Nintendo could just change it so that it's tied to the account holder instead of the hardware.

It's pretty inconceivable for Nintendo to have dropped the ball on this one. Both of their primary competitors have had multiple device support since they were released years ago (I'll grant you that it wasn't always as easy as it is now, but still, support was there). Hell, Apple has been doing this with iTunes and the App Store for close to a decade. Not to mention all the various "cloud" accounts you could have for movies and music nowadays, through Amazon, Google, or Sony. Fake edit: oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Steam. It's like no one at Nintendo has had a gaming console, computer, or iDevice in the last decade.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

katkillad2 posted:

I guess you haven't ever taken advantage of SA-Mart? 3DS's that had the ambassador games were going for a nice portion more than 3DS's without the ambassador games, like 20-30 dollars more when I was upgrading to the XL a few months ago. I can't sell the games i've spent thousands of dollars buying on xbox live unless I want to sell my username/account or something. Having digital games tied to a system means if I decide to sell my system I could get additional money. Maybe it's a dumb mistake on Nintendo's part, but I don't see how this information hurts me as a consumer.

I honestly can't grasp that you spent "thousands of dollars" on digital content and don't think it should belong to you instead of the machine you happened to have purchased it on. Like, I don't even want to "agree to disagree" with you, because your stance is so outlandish to me that I refuse to accept it.

On a more practical note, how many PSN/XBLA/Steam accounts does a person need? How many accounts for Nintendo's various online services can you have? I've honestly lost track how many different systems there have been at this point.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So Nintendo will authorize a device transfer for you IF you actually have the two consoles in your possession, is that correct?

And if you sold a Wii U with games downloaded to it, you couldn't just buy a second Wii U later and expect to get your games back? So a second-hand buyer wouldn't have to be paranoid about losing the games on the system because the original owner decided to buy another Wii U. Meanwhile, a reseller could buy a second Wii U and do a Nintendo-authorized transfer first, then sell a the first console "clean" while keeping their purchased games on the second console (not sure why someone would do this, just saying for the sake of argument).

I dunno, this feels kind of clumsy but I don't really mind it. It just lets us handle our digital game collection more like a physical game collection, in terms of reselling. There are both bad and good points to that (assuming I was right about my first two points, that is).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 4, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

So Nintendo will authorize a device transfer for you IF you actually have the two consoles in your possession, is that correct?

And if you sold a Wii U with games downloaded to it, you couldn't just buy a second Wii U later and expect to get your games back? So a second-hand buyer wouldn't have to be paranoid about losing the games on the system because the original owner decided to buy another Wii U.

I dunno, this feels kind of clumsy but I don't really mind it. It just lets us handle our digital game collection more like a physical game collection, in terms of reselling. There are both bad and good points to that (assuming I was right about my first two points, that is).

Don't forget, they'll also authorize a device transfer if your system is stolen, IF you fax them the police report.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

There are both bad and good points to that (assuming I was right about my first two points, that is).

I fail to see the good points.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Katana Gomai posted:

On a more practical note, how many PSN/XBLA/Steam accounts does a person need? How many accounts for Nintendo's various online services can you have? I've honestly lost track how many different systems there have been at this point.

Well, I dont know about other people but I have 4 PSN accounts (Canada, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and Japan) because I can download and play all kimds of different, region-exclusive content on my PS3/PSP/Vita, and two XBLAs (Canada, Japan) for similar reasons.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Katana Gomai posted:

I fail to see the good points.
Well there are some good points for the secondhand market, provided people are educated enough about how to handle it. Nintendo itself certainly has nothing to gain from it, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I...don't see a problem with it for consumers, as long as you can still do a license transfer later on without having to have the original WiiU still in your possession (but still having access to your account).

If that's the case, the only person this hurts is Nintendo themselves.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

theflyingorc posted:

I...don't see a problem with it for consumers, as long as you can still do a license transfer later on without having to have the original WiiU still in your possession (but still having access to your account).
Pretty sure this isn't how it works. Doing a transfer without the original console on you is reserved for cases of theft, with actual police reports to prove it, as greatn pointed out. Based on that, I'm assuming Nintendo would't authorize a tranfer if you just sold your original console and wanted your games back later.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 4, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Minidust posted:

Pretty sure this isn't how it works. Doing a transfer without the original console on you is reserved for cases of theft, with actual police reports to prove it, as greatn pointed out. Based on that, I'm assuming Nintendo would't authorize a tranfer if you just sold your original console and wanted your games back later.

Well then, that is fairly unwise. There's no problem with associating a console with the ability to PLAY content, but downloads should be associated solely with accounts.

Luckily, this dumb issue only impacts people who sell their consoles, but that doesn't mean it isn't dumb.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah it's only really good for people who buy a used console and pay extra for a bunch of pre-installed games. They won't have to worry about losing access because the seller decided to buy a new console and reclaim his old purchases.

In a weird way it's analogous to saved games on cartridges. Newer consoles came around where the save was tied to a memory card. But you could still buy used SNES games and have someone else's save files on there.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 4, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Well, I dont know about other people but I have 4 PSN accounts (Canada, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and Japan) because I can download and play all kimds of different, region-exclusive content on my PS3/PSP/Vita, and two XBLAs (Canada, Japan) for similar reasons.

Ugh, ok then how many loving Nintendo accounts would you have if you were a sperg and needed one for every region there is.* My point is that Nintendo created this completely ridiculous ecosystem of like four different login systems over the last decade, none of which work with each other, while Sony and MS got it right on their first try.

*Actually don't answer that because the answer is "you can't get an account for a different region on any Nintendo console since they only ever support a single account." :haw:

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
This might have been answered before, but I'm trying to add my fellow goons to my friend list and there's only the option to 'follow them' twitter style, it seems the other party needs to put your nintendo code also so you can be friends ala 3ds?? I feel dumb

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They might not have friend requests enabled, or maybe you don't. You can only receive friend requests in Miiverse if you enable that in the settings.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gutcruncher posted:

I will now take this opportunity to show off my Wii collection

Theres a few questionable, or just plain bad, ones in the mix, but overall Id recommend most any of these games to people. It's not quite the complete 'good game' collection but I think I did ok.

You must be a used games store or something because everyone in my CoD clan says nobody buys Wii games!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Katana Gomai posted:

while Sony and MS got it right on their first try.

Woah, look's like someone's forgetting about the PS2's lovely account system which required a serial key found in the box with the Network Adapter (which regularly had trace marks of another code on it from the printing press, so there was a probability your code would already have been used) for each account.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Katana Gomai posted:

Ugh, ok then how many loving Nintendo accounts would you have if you were a sperg and needed one for every region there is.* My point is that Nintendo created this completely ridiculous ecosystem of like four different login systems over the last decade, none of which work with each other, while Sony and MS got it right on their first try.
They're in the process of merging them, at least.

quote:

*Actually don't answer that because the answer is "you can't get an account for a different region on any Nintendo console since they only ever support a single account." :haw:
I thought you could have multiple accounts per console now?

edit: And Microsoft did NOT get it right on the first try. License transfers were incredibly confusing and you used to only be able to do them once a year. And I believe you still have to call them on the phone if you want to turn your account non-subscription.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 5, 2013

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
No one got online right on the first try. That's really no excuse for the way Nintendo is handling it. Either way, it doesn't bother me because I never really have problems with the current setup and I don't sell my systems so problem solved?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

El Chingon posted:

This might have been answered before, but I'm trying to add my fellow goons to my friend list and there's only the option to 'follow them' twitter style, it seems the other party needs to put your nintendo code also so you can be friends ala 3ds?? I feel dumb

Instructions are here.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This isn't Nintendo's first try at online though. The Gamecube, DS, Wii and 3DS have had online capabilities, right?

It's not like they're feeling out how to get systems online and working properly. Not to mention all the other companies who have done it right before them. I don't see how them being new at this is a reason for them to suck at online user experience. They're not new and digital distribution is not exactly the new hotness.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The online experience isn't that bad though, so your purchases are tied to the console right now that isn't the hugest deal in the entire world that people are making it out to be. The Miiverse and games with online play so far are working great and that is what people actually use and is important, the ESHOP also has most retail games on it which is fantastic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, for one thing when it comes to Nintendo Online, I don't think a single Nintendo game for Wii U has been announced to have online multiplayer yet, and the ones you might think would work great, like Pikmin 3, are confirmed NOT to have it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

They're not new and digital distribution is not exactly the new hotness.

Regardless of industry experience or company history or year of release, a lot of digital distribution platforms have all been riddled with problems and nothing had a solid start. Steam, iTunes, the Android marketplace or Apple App Store, Steam, Origin or its former incarnation as EADM, to say nothing of the Xbox or PS3. Regardless of the date of inception they've all had a bad start even if some ended up getting better.

Nintendo's just known as being extra bad.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

so your purchases are tied to the console right now that isn't the hugest deal in the entire world that people are making it out to be.

It may not be the hugest deal, but there is literally no positives in using such an account system for Nintendo outside of being able to be lazy about it.
Even ignoring the large amount of the customer base they are pissing off and generally inconveniencing, and the sales they'll likely lose because of it, they are preemptively shooting themselves in the foot on any new colours or limited edition packages they want to push out in the future, because if you already own a Wii U there's no real point in buying one of them if you can't move your stuff over to the new one.

It's just weird that they've started making some steps towards a better experience with the 3DS, like folders and System Transfer, and then ignored all of that for their new console.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crawfish posted:

It's just weird that they've started making some steps towards a better experience with the 3DS, like folders and System Transfer, and then ignored all of that for their new console.

Both folders and system transfer were post-release updates for the 3DS. I'd be surprised if the U Virtual Console released before folders are added. The fact that they actually have a user account instead of tying them to the system makes me think there will be some sort of transfer ability added in the future.

Then again, Nintendo.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I expect that they'll definitely be available in the future, it's just weird that they already came up with these things, and then didn't add it in to their future products from the beginning. The System transfer I could sort of understand, as that seems like it would take a little bit of work to get working perfectly, and it's already clear that the system was rushed as hell for release. But folders seem like something that would of been rather easy to add on the side for launch. Not a biggie anyways really.

I fully agree that they'll both likely be available than UVC though. But that's more because I expect they'll take their sweet old time with the Virtual Console than anything else.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

Regardless of industry experience or company history or year of release, a lot of digital distribution platforms have all been riddled with problems and nothing had a solid start. Steam...

Well Steam started as just a (lovely) server browser and way for Valve to patch their games without everyone having to go on download sites. I can't recall it having many problems (save for issues with some games unlocking way beyond schedule, the Orange Box?) once it became a full-on storefront.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

How is that surprising, it's been like that for the Wii and the DSi as well. Basically just ignore everything Nintendo does in terms of digital content and take your money elsewhere, there's hardly anything not already available somewhere else, anyways.

I wanted to point out that no, this is not how the 3DS works, if you transfer your 3DS or do the full wipe thing without a system transfer (an option reserved for being a huge gigantic fuckup idiot) you can not download games that have been previously purchased.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well Steam started as just a (lovely) server browser and way for Valve to patch their games without everyone having to go on download sites. I can't recall it having many problems (save for issues with some games unlocking way beyond schedule, the Orange Box?) once it became a full-on storefront.

Jesus christ how could you not know how much loving nerd rage surrounded Steam when it first started? I was never into CS or any shooter games and at one time didn't even care about Half-Life (dark days...) and I knew that there was frothing at the mouth nerd rage about how steam is horrible poo poo that makes it so their 386 can't play CS 1.6 or whatever the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You must be a used games store or something because everyone in my CoD clan says nobody buys Wii games!

As you can plainly see, all of my games are casual games for silly babies, so I dont count.

• Locked thread