Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

Christoff posted:

Jesus Christ that game is still in beta!?

Yeah, its gonna be in beta until all the characters have been released and they have a working tutorial, at least from what I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's just they hyped that game so much. Had that billion dollar championship or whatever (like 1-2 years ago?)

No wonder LOL took off. I liked HON but you know my jew friends :10bux: (it's free now)

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I have less than 10 hours into it, I can't justify the time commitment to learn two moba's, so LoL wins, just because I already have so much invested into it.
To be fair, dota II has a lot of potential, the seasonal maps they made were pretty good IMO, so hopefully Valve can make some really good modes that get away from standard 5v5, or are at least a little more casual friendly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I played DOTA 1 a lot. It was a blast and I loved the heroes but no one is going to want to learn that game from scratch once it finally comes out. So it's just dedicated DOTA 1 dudes I guess.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Bought Dark Souls because why the gently caress not, life's challenging enough as it is might as well go backwards 20 years in video game difficulty.

I'm gonna die. A lot.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
would anyone like to play wargame with me 2night

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vasudus posted:

Bought Dark Souls because why the gently caress not, life's challenging enough as it is might as well go backwards 20 years in video game difficulty.

I'm gonna die. A lot.

Dark Souls loving owns. It's awesome as hell.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
WHo plays Galactic Civ II?! I want a space 4x and Sword of the Stars II is like not good.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

holocaust bloopers posted:

WHo plays Galactic Civ II?! I want a space 4x and Sword of the Stars II is like not good.

i used to play the hell out of GCII in 2007 or so, it was a pretty good game!

edit: considering at the time there was no real competition and poo poo, but you can make a huge rear end random map and you custom make all of your ships

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I've played it a bunch. I loved it, kinda tired of it but will re-install sometime eventually.

Mucho ship customization. Decent governor system, so you don't have to micromanage, but still...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

I've played it a bunch. I loved it, kinda tired of it but will re-install sometime eventually.

Mucho ship customization. Decent governor system, so you don't have to micromanage, but still...

How's it compared to Civ 5 in terms of gameplay and systems?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Steam is having a couple days where it'l going to have the "best of" sale this weekend.

If W:EE comes up again, I think I'll grab it finally. All I bought this time was Dark Souls and I gifted a copy of Walking Dead to a buddy. Way below what I usually spend on Steam sales.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey, if any of you dipshits don't own it already, you can get DEFCON for $2.49 right now, or for $4.99 you can get the introversion complete pack (both on steam), which comes with some pretty good games, and their soundtracks if you care about that sort of thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

How's it compared to Civ 5 in terms of gameplay and systems?

I played Civ 5 for two days and deleted it. I am capital N- Not A Fan.

Utterly different from any Civ, though. It's a system-oriented game; each solar system has 0-8 planets, any of which can be inhabitable. Inhabitable normal planets have a certain number of farmable squares (equal to planet quality- the higher number, the more stuff you can build there), and the usual production/gold/science choices are made.

Combat is surprisingly deep; trade is kind of the Civ I model (trade ships that make routes, the more distant the route the more valuable). Diplomacy is largely Civ-like, although it works much much better (you can actually negotiate).

Something like 12 different races with different bonuses and very different ship styles. The ship editor is not only neat for visuals, but pretty much necessary for use as you get up there in tech and want to maximize your power.

It's deep enough for grognards but light enough for folks who want to breeze through.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

I played Civ 5 for two days and deleted it. I am capital N- Not A Fan.

Utterly different from any Civ, though. It's a system-oriented game; each solar system has 0-8 planets, any of which can be inhabitable. Inhabitable normal planets have a certain number of farmable squares (equal to planet quality- the higher number, the more stuff you can build there), and the usual production/gold/science choices are made.

Combat is surprisingly deep; trade is kind of the Civ I model (trade ships that make routes, the more distant the route the more valuable). Diplomacy is largely Civ-like, although it works much much better (you can actually negotiate).

Something like 12 different races with different bonuses and very different ship styles. The ship editor is not only neat for visuals, but pretty much necessary for use as you get up there in tech and want to maximize your power.

It's deep enough for grognards but light enough for folks who want to breeze through.

That sold me. I loving hate the diplomacy in Civ 5. It's so basic.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The best thing about the trading mechanic in GalCiv II- you can see exactly where the tipping point is on a deal. Their canned response is in red when it's gonna be a no, then turns to green as you add things if it would be a yes. So you can finetune your offer before you actually present it, and see exactly what a go/no go offer will be.

Simple, but Civ for some reason can never loving grasp that.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

GD_American posted:

The best thing about the trading mechanic in GalCiv II- you can see exactly where the tipping point is on a deal. Their canned response is in red when it's gonna be a no, then turns to green as you add things if it would be a yes. So you can finetune your offer before you actually present it, and see exactly what a go/no go offer will be.

Simple, but Civ for some reason can never loving grasp that.

That's essentially how trading works in Civ 4 or 5. You put up what you want to trade or what you want from them, ask the computer what they'll accept, and either accept or decline their offer.

Maybe its not as good as in this game, but trading is pretty low on my list of complaints about Civ.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Hey dudes I'm drunk and I have xbox and pc. let's play something

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

xwonderboyx posted:

Hey dudes I'm drunk and I have xbox and pc. let's play something

skype mutual jo?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

genderstomper58 posted:

skype mutual jo?

YOU WANT PIZZAPITS??

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Games for Windows Live! is the biggest bunch of loving garbage. I just had to enter a CD Key and manually download an update to get Dark Souls working. A CD KEY. IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2013.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Gonna play walking dead adventure game.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
most of the way through mAss effect 2 owns so far

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Veins McGee posted:

That's essentially how trading works in Civ 4 or 5. You put up what you want to trade or what you want from them, ask the computer what they'll accept, and either accept or decline their offer.

Maybe its not as good as in this game, but trading is pretty low on my list of complaints about Civ.

No, this is better. Say I've got two techs in my offer box and he's got three. Then I start adding gold to my box; when I hit the sweet spot that makes the deal acceptable, his text turns green. This is before even submitting the offer; you can play around with different techs/resources and see which ones that civ really, really wants and values and adjust your offer accordingly before even submitting it.

It's a little thing, but it reduces frustration tremendously.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Games for Windows Live! is the biggest bunch of loving garbage. I just had to enter a CD Key and manually download an update to get Dark Souls working. A CD KEY. IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2013.

Yup.

See also: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City/Bulletstorm

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NFS: Most Wanted

PSN: GD_American

all weekend

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
i sent u a car in Gran turismo i think :(

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my name is listed twice in the op :swoon:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

i sent u a car in Gran turismo i think :(

lol haven't played that in a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

GD_American posted:

lol haven't played that in a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time

i'm talking like 2010 here now. i thnk u deleted me since then

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot
Dudes get all pissy in DEFCON when you immediately go nuclear on a diplomacy match. :megaman:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

The whole diplomacy thing in Civ 5 irritated me because I could put a few units on the border which would trigger, "ARE YOU GOING TO STEAM ROLL ME?!?!" but if the AI did the same, I couldn't question them. I've also had an AI that had a defense pact with actually help me out either.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

The whole diplomacy thing in Civ 5 irritated me because I could put a few units on the border which would trigger, "ARE YOU GOING TO STEAM ROLL ME?!?!" but if the AI did the same, I couldn't question them. I've also had an AI that had a defense pact with actually help me out either.

Yeah, Civ 4/5 diplomacy sucks and is needlessly opaque.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Dark Souls: pretty goddamn hard. I need to be well rested for this poo poo, my reflexes aren't up to par right now.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
if its anything like Demons Souls you have to be like, at your peak and after that just hang it up because you have to be loving on point to kill a basic skeleton without taking serious damage

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Yeah, Civ 4/5 diplomacy sucks and is needlessly opaque.

The lot of these 4X games lack in some key area. I'm not that upset what with the Steam sale since I paid maybe ~40 bucks for like several of them. Sword of the Stars II could be so loving amazing if it wasn't for some seriously bone-headed game design.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

if its anything like Demons Souls you have to be like, at your peak and after that just hang it up because you have to be loving on point to kill a basic skeleton without taking serious damage

That's pretty much it. I walked up to the first "real" dude (a skeleton with a sword and shield) and he raped my face. Then I came back, approached it like I knew he was a murder machine and killed him. Then I'm fighting some sort of miniboss asylum demon and he's a rude dude. Looks pretty fun, but it's not a late night game for me.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
yeah its not a "have a few beers and roll out' kinda game at all

which is why i stopped very shortly because gently caress who plays games sober

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Vasudus posted:

I'm gonna die. A lot.

It's pretty hard but once you get some good gear and figure out that you just kinda have to be careful, it's not really all THAT bad. I beat it on the Xbox a while back and enjoyed it a lot. The biggest fuckin bullshit level is Blighttown where you can get insta-gibbed by a bunch of poo poo and all kinds of things knock you off rickety platforms and stuff. I will play the sequel when it comes out for sure. I hope the sequel has a way to completely turn off the "pvp" elements of it though. gently caress that poo poo. I honestly might not have even bought the game if I had known about the "invasions" which is really just some loving neckbeard who pimps out his dude to one shot you coming in and loving you up at like the worst possible moment why they did not add in the option to turn that poo poo off is baffling.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Civ V sucked badly enough to anger me.

I tried to re-install Call to Power as a pacifier, because really, with a bugfix that would have been the best Civ game ever.

Doesn't work with modern video card :argh:

• Locked thread