Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
drat those false advertising bastards, you're right-there's 96 exits.

triplexpac posted:

Uniracers was called Unirally overseas? Lame.

I think this had something to do with Pixar trying to sue them, something to do with likeness.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniracers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

triplexpac posted:

Uniracers was called Unirally overseas? Lame.

It was also eventually pulled from the market because the people at Pixar once 15 years earlier had a CGI unicycle in one of their 8 minute movies.

Also Contra was called Probotector

Illusion of Gaia was Illusion of Time

Starfox was called Starwing

the_lion posted:

Cleaning out my dad's place, found the original SNES box. Had no idea we had them, they're from circa '96.
They are pretty much mint condition. Mind. Blown.

More photos here if you want to see them big.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45178508@N04/sets/72157632408189437/

Thank you for sharing this! It literally looks brand new. I am a bit confused though. There's two different boxes?

You also should take Nintendo up on their lifetime warranty :haw:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kreeblah posted:

Super Mario World does not have 96 different levels. :colbert:

Aren't there 96 exits though?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I tweaked my desktop setup this evening a tad:

SO stoked. :smugdog:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I know, right? gently caress yes Seinfeld!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

the_lion posted:

Cleaning out my dad's place, found the original SNES box. Had no idea we had them, they're from circa '96.
They are pretty much mint condition. Mind. Blown.
"ONE GENUINE SUPER NES HAND CONTROLLER"

Is...is there another kind?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Soul Glo posted:

Aren't there 96 exits though?

Yeah, but a bunch of levels have multiple exits.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cicero posted:

Theyre just covering their bases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-UZv3AS-E

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want a SNES cart that just says MARIO on it like that.

I think my brother gave away my copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day. :reject: Oh well, it had a huge rental sticker wrapped around it and it wasn't worth playing a second time. I got it for $10 a long time ago.
I don't see my first edition version of Ocarina of Time anywhere either. :(

Hell, the N64 won't turn on half the time now. That's what I get for disassembling it out of boredom and putting it back together.
Did anyone here disassemble consoles and controllers just to see what was inside? I used to do this as a kid a bunch of times before the screws were stripped.

Some guy sent a girl some games. By some games, I mean a ridiculously pristine collection of Sega Saturn games and hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CAX08qgUVA It just keeps going. :psyduck:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh man, I remember reading the hints and tips section of a Sega Channel game (yeah, I had Sega Channel as a kid :smug:) and it talked about the Activator, and I wanted it SO BADLY. But this was before the days of ordering poo poo on the internet, and I never did find one.

Yechezkel posted:

Some guy sent a girl some games. By some games, I mean a ridiculously pristine collection of Sega Saturn games and hardware.

Sweet Jesus. :stare: I remember her from the All Gen Gamers podcast. No way that was "oh I just found these in my attic", that is creeper levels of free poo poo.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 5, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Yechezkel posted:

What the gently caress nobody is giving me games like that. Maybe I need to capitalize on a YouTube channel :pervert:

By the way, are any of the new replacement LCD's for the fat PSP's better than the stock ones (e.g. less motion blur) or are they all pretty much just the same thing?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Code Jockey posted:

I know, right? gently caress yes Seinfeld!

It's like it's 1991 all over again!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Whaaaaat the gently caress. :psyduck:

Here I am ordering poo poo like capacitors for my TurboExpress when I should be making YouTube videos to have entire collections sent to me. Jesus.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it :files: to ask for a place where I can download/read Nintendo Power's early (NES-era) issues? Because I'm asking for that. Ideally I'd like to own those first 10-20 issues or so, but PDFs on my iPad would suffice for now.

This but for the last issue? I am in Germany so unless we can buy them online somewhere (can we?) there's no way for me to read it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

If Amazon would get on putting old gaming magazines like Nintendo Power onto the Kindle, they'd make truckloads of money. I'd buy so many of them.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Yechezkel posted:

This bugs me and I think it's because 1. it doesn't really sound like she knows what most of it even is (other than a couple that probably set off her $$$-siren) and 2. she doesn't seem very excited about it.

Maybe she was just (rightfully) creeped out by the whole thing and it rubbed off in the video. I'm definitely jealous though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Joe Man posted:

This bugs me and I think it's because 1. it doesn't really sound like she knows what most of it even is (other than a couple that probably set off her $$$-siren) and 2. she doesn't seem very excited about it.

Maybe she was just (rightfully) creeped out by the whole thing and it rubbed off in the video. I'm definitely jealous though.

I don't think the Saturn had alot of noteworthy games to begin with in North America. Maybe a dozen at most especialy when you compare it to the Playstation offerings. Also the system never really gained any sort of following while it was a current system, so there's alot of people who really don't know alot about it.

However it was certainly better compared to the 32X and Sega CD. I know these systems have alot of rare games for them, but between the two of them there was only a handful of games worth playing. The 32X had Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri and the rest of the exclusive games on the system just really were not good. It's library was only something like 40+ games though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cicero posted:

Nintendo's secret Mind Link controller development has been uncovered by incautious text on the back of the box!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Thank you for sharing this! It literally looks brand new. I am a bit confused though. There's two different boxes?

You also should take Nintendo up on their lifetime warranty :haw:

Ah, sorry man-should have explained. The red box was on the outside and that contains the other box (the standard box). I have no idea why they did it this way to be honest.

Haha, I bet Nintendo would probably honour lifetime warranty. They were actually pretty cool at the time because my 1st snes which came with just Mario Allstars was defective. They replaced it with this one for free (with Mario Allstars+Mario World).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yechezkel posted:

Please don't post poo poo like this... everything about it is super creepy.

Caitlin posted:

Whaaaaat the gently caress. :psyduck:

Here I am ordering poo poo like capacitors for my TurboExpress when I should be making YouTube videos to have entire collections sent to me. Jesus.

The upside is that you'd probably know what most of the games were and would have something to say about them other than, "Whee, my collection will be bigger! :3:"

But please don't because see above.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 5, 2013

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Jhonen Vasquez (of Invader Zim/Johnny the Homicidal Maniac fame) posted a picture of his "gaming graveyard" - http://instagram.com/p/UFAcHyFvHI/

I had no idea Sega Nomad's existed, what sort of Sega child was I? :( An awful one!

Nevertheless, with my goal of amassing all the Gamecube Resident Evils nearing completion, I might go for a more ambitious collection of all flavours of all Metal Gear series games. Although, should I include Snake's Revenge in that? Since it's TECHNICALLY part of the series, but it's also... not... part of the series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gredgie posted:

Although, should I include Snake's Revenge in that? Since it's TECHNICALLY part of the series, but it's also... not... part of the series.

gently caress yeah you should. The password screen's music is worth the price of admission. Also the game isn't soooo bad, aside from the sidescrolling parts, which are total rear end.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Speaking of the Nomad, are there any cheap and good replacement screens? I have one sitting around, and it works, but the screen is absolute trash. I don't know if it'd be worth buying a new screen if I want to sell it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don't even collect games anymore, but that creepy rear end dude sending thousands of dollars of Saturn stuff to the Youtube girl is so incredibly creepy I don't even know where to begin.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I feel like I'm the only person that actually hates the Saturn. I had one back in the day, but I was so happy when I finally got a PS1 for christmas, and I hardly touched the Saturn since.

Seeing some of the prices for some of those games just baffles me.

But then again, I never really liked any system Sega put out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't even collect games anymore, but that creepy rear end dude sending thousands of dollars of Saturn stuff to the Youtube girl is so incredibly creepy I don't even know where to begin.

Seriously, I hope she had it delivered to an office or something, because this dude now knows her home address...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I came across a copy of Lost Vikings with it's case for 8 bucks. However upon opening it it seems the case might not be the original since it reads "ACCOLADE" on the inside. This is also making me question the cover as well. While the print quality is very good I'm not sure if it's the right paper quality because it seems very thin and not heavy. However the Genesis had a poo poo load of different types of boxes when it came to cases and covers. So does anyone here have a copy of the Genesis Lost Vikings and can confirm that the paper quality for the cover isn't as thick as expected? Worse comes to worse I got a high quality case reproduction and I'm out 8 dollars.

fatpat268 posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that actually hates the Saturn. I had one back in the day, but I was so happy when I finally got a PS1 for christmas, and I hardly touched the Saturn since.

Seeing some of the prices for some of those games just baffles me.

But then again, I never really liked any system Sega put out.

I don't actively hate the system, I'm just indifferent to it. Other than Panzer Dragoon Saga there's really no other games on the system that I'd like to play. The only Sonic game released for that system was Sonic R and that was ported to the Gamecube. Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix were fine for their day but only have novelty at this point.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 5, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Worse comes to worse I got a high quality case reproduction and I'm out 8 dollars.
Didn't it come with the game, as well? I'm not sure I would care about the paper quality in the case unless the game was worth $100 or something.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

wa27 posted:

Didn't it come with the game, as well? I'm not sure I would care about the paper quality in the case unless the game was worth $100 or something.

Yeah the game was fine, no tears in the sticker or anything. However there's only like a small handful of general release games that go for over 100 bucks. Most genesis carts I've come across run for 2-4 dollars complete so spending 8 seemed abit more than usual.

lanfear
Nov 6, 2009

Nerdy Cat Lady
Hey Retro Goons,

My boyfriend and I started collecting games last summer after realizing I haven't played most NES/SNES games before. I played the Mario games as a kid, but I never had access to any other games. My boyfriend (another goon) decided that we should start collecting, so we bought the FC Twin Game System and Super Mario All-Stars. This is what we've acquired since then:

Here's a list: Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy III (6), Final Fantasy II (4), Secret of Mana, Illusions of GAIA, Congo's Caper, UN Squadron, Donkey Kong Country 2, Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Super Star Wars, E.V.O. Search for Eden.

Most of the games we have, we found in antique stores, craigslist, and ebay. We just purchased a Super Nintendo off craigslist that has some serious sun damage a few days ago. It works perfectly, but it's an eye sore. I also managed to find FF6 for $15 in an antique store recently, and we couldn't get it to work at first. After cleaning it with cotton swabs and alcohol, it works great now. It boots up every time on the FC Twin System, though sometimes it has trouble booting on the SNES. It's the only game that gives us trouble with the SNES.

I've found a new love with playing all of the old games, and I can't wait to build my collection, especially with the game consoles. :allears:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I came across a copy of Lost Vikings with it's case for 8 bucks. However upon opening it it seems the case might not be the original since it reads "ACCOLADE" on the inside. This is also making me question the cover as well. While the print quality is very good I'm not sure if it's the right paper quality because it seems very thin and not heavy. However the Genesis had a poo poo load of different types of boxes when it came to cases and covers. So does anyone here have a copy of the Genesis Lost Vikings and can confirm that the paper quality for the cover isn't as thick as expected? Worse comes to worse I got a high quality case reproduction and I'm out 8 dollars.

I don't actively hate the system, I'm just indifferent to it. Other than Panzer Dragoon Saga there's really no other games on the system that I'd like to play. The only Sonic game released for that system was Sonic R and that was ported to the Gamecube. Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix were fine for their day but only have novelty at this point.

You know you've probably just started people listing off a bunch of Saturn games that are still playable today, and aren't available elsewhere. Like Three Dirty Dwarves, that is still a fantastic 3 player brawler. It's got a fantastic art style to it, it's got really crazy boss fights and enemy design, and each dwarf plays a little different. The recovery mechanic is great, too, it's a lot like more recent coop games. There's no lives per player, if your health runs out, you are knocked out. As long as all three players aren't knocked out at the same time, the game continues. When you're knocked out, another player can walk over to revive you.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

There was an Accolade/Ballistic re-release of several Genesis games late in its lifecycle. My copy of Lost Vikings is the same as yours, and it's very much a legitimate release.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chainclaw posted:

You know you've probably just started people listing off a bunch of Saturn games that are still playable today, and aren't available elsewhere. Like Three Dirty Dwarves, that is still a fantastic 3 player brawler. It's got a fantastic art style to it, it's got really crazy boss fights and enemy design, and each dwarf plays a little different. The recovery mechanic is great, too, it's a lot like more recent coop games. There's no lives per player, if your health runs out, you are knocked out. As long as all three players aren't knocked out at the same time, the game continues. When you're knocked out, another player can walk over to revive you.

I dunno about Three Dirty Dwavres. While it had good art direction for it's time and more than two players, it was hampered by a vague combat system and annoying tasks you needed to do in order to disbatch common enemies. Other than the multiplayer, games like Oddworld came along later on and executed the concepts better. It was really a game that I felt I had to force myself to like, but in the end I couldn't.

Baldrash posted:

There was an Accolade/Ballistic re-release of several Genesis games late in its lifecycle. My copy of Lost Vikings is the same as yours, and it's very much a legitimate release.

Ah thats good to know, thank you.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

WendigoJohnson posted:

To me the USA Saturn doesn't seem as interesting of a system. If you were in the USA and considering a Saturn, you probably weren't out looking for the best in 2D gaming. In fact I didn't really care about the Saturn when it was for sale here (but then again I never liked the PlayStation and really couldn't stand PSX 3D).

To be honest, the USA Saturn library interests me so little, I just own a Japanese Saturn. I even bought a USA Saturn that came with 15 games or something and just was not interested at all. I ended up selling the USA system and games. There are so many amazing and beautiful 2D games and it does have a really great library, but almost none of it got brought stateside, and those that did are unbelievably expensive nowadays. Just look at the list of games that make use of the 1MB or 4MB RAM cartridge, I think there might be one or two USA releases that could utilize the RAM expansion at all. 95% of the list are games that never even came to the USA.

It's just that as soon as I got a Japanese Saturn, my Saturn game collection started multiplying really quickly. Now it's undoubtedly my favorite system and I own stacks upon stacks of games that never came to the USA. But if I was collecting domestic games I totally understand how the Saturn is not an impressive system.

lanfear posted:

I've found a new love with playing all of the old games, and I can't wait to build my collection, especially with the game consoles. :allears:

Good for you that you got a real console. Welcome to the end of your wallet, enjoy your moneyburning!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

lanfear posted:

Hey Retro Goons,

My boyfriend and I started collecting games last summer after realizing I haven't played most NES/SNES games before. I played the Mario games as a kid, but I never had access to any other games. My boyfriend (another goon) decided that we should start collecting, so we bought the FC Twin Game System and Super Mario All-Stars. This is what we've acquired since then:

Here's a list: Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy III (6), Final Fantasy II (4), Secret of Mana, Illusions of GAIA, Congo's Caper, UN Squadron, Donkey Kong Country 2, Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Super Star Wars, E.V.O. Search for Eden.

Most of the games we have, we found in antique stores, craigslist, and ebay. We just purchased a Super Nintendo off craigslist that has some serious sun damage a few days ago. It works perfectly, but it's an eye sore. I also managed to find FF6 for $15 in an antique store recently, and we couldn't get it to work at first. After cleaning it with cotton swabs and alcohol, it works great now. It boots up every time on the FC Twin System, though sometimes it has trouble booting on the SNES. It's the only game that gives us trouble with the SNES.

Jeez, Earthbound and E.V.O.? You two aren't loving around!
I wish I'd been a tad more adventurous in my game renting as a kid because there's a lot of stuff that would have been so much easier to find back then. I remember looking at things like Dracula X and Earthbound several times and just going with Clayfighter again. (In my defense the theme song to that game is pretty great.)

Anything next on the shopping list?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I found out I could buy digital Amazon gift cards in small/odd amounts, so I took old preloaded credit card-style gift cards with small/odd amounts, turned them into Amazon credit, and turned that into this:

1990 - Ninja Crusaders
Two ninja; Talon and Blade must fight invading alien forces in this difficult action game. Even in co-op, a single hit will send both players back to the beginning of the stage. It's legendary difficulty caused absolutely no sensation in its time and it was even unpopular with women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcTBwIOENY

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I just got my Saturn Action Replay from eBay (one of the original EMS ones with the parallel port on top) but half the time when I start up my saturn with it, the video signal looks all messed up. It wasn't working at all before I cleaned the contacts.

Is this a normal thing or should I make use of eBay buyer protection while I can?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Discount Viscount posted:

Jeez, Earthbound and E.V.O.? You two aren't loving around!
I wish I'd been a tad more adventurous in my game renting as a kid because there's a lot of stuff that would have been so much easier to find back then. I remember looking at things like Dracula X and Earthbound several times and just going with Clayfighter again. (In my defense the theme song to that game is pretty great.)

Wait, this made me google E.V.O., we found that at a local used game shop for like 5 bucks, I had no idea it was worth anything, my friend just said it was a sweet ARPG-type game. I am shocked at what eBay has informed me.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zenintrude posted:

Please don't post poo poo like this... everything about it is super creepy.

The upside is that you'd probably know what most of the games were and would have something to say about them other than, "Whee, my collection will be bigger! :3:"

But please don't because see above.

I don't know if I can handle that kind of creepy, but what really got me was she said it was on her doorstep. Her loving doorstep. No P.O. box, she just gave some dude her address. :psyduck:

Really though I just :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: so much that it's vaguely appealing while being intensely creepy. Another 20 bucks blown on batteries and battery holders for the SNES carts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lanfear
Nov 6, 2009

Nerdy Cat Lady

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Wait, this made me google E.V.O., we found that at a local used game shop for like 5 bucks, I had no idea it was worth anything, my friend just said it was a sweet ARPG-type game. I am shocked at what eBay has informed me.

Yeah, I had no idea this was worth anything. Though our copy may not be worth much, because it's pretty beat up/covered in layers of Blockbuster and sales stickers.

Discount Viscount posted:

I'm looking for a copy of Super Metroid next. I know I want Star Fox and the rest of the Super Star Wars collection. After that, I don't have much planned.

• Locked thread