Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Something's up with that face. And Claire can bend her arms while wearing those things, shockingly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Something's up with that face. And Claire can bend her arms while wearing those things, shockingly enough.

I look at that screenshot and all I can think of looking at Lightning is if she's wearing some sort of string bikini. What was wrong with her original outfit?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

What's the deal with Chocolina anyway? One of the reasons I was like "ugh no thanks" to FF13-2 is that during the demo she came off as an obnoxious and unrealistic fanservice character. It was like, thanks for the lovely corridor game starring a badass woman who doesn't take any poo poo, now I guess this is what we get for the sequel instead? Oh, ok.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
She's Sazh's afro chocobo who got lost in time after Sazh and his son got stuck in a time parodox who asked Etro or someone for help and decided to use the body she got out of the deal to help the time travelers.

It's silly but at least they kinda explain it (if through Datalogs and DLC).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Level Slide posted:

My favorite part of this is that people apparently don't know who Lightning is. They must think she's just a crazy person, with the stuff she wears.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Momomo posted:

My favorite part of this is that people apparently don't know who Lightning is. They must think she's just a crazy person, with the stuff she wears.
And somehow this is the incorrect conclusion made.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do many of the Square Enix iOS things ever make it onto Android? I was recently gifted a tablet and god help me, if I can put a Final Fantasy V remake on here I will.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'm sure XIII-3 will be nice enough, and I'll get it at a reduced price, but I just want XV with an overworld map and all that nice stuff. Will never happen, but until it's properly announced I can get my hopes ready to be crushed!

I'm wondering if it'll be a PS3 swansong like IX was for the PSX, or if it'll come out next generation.

How does Vagrant Story hold up nowadays? I loved it when I was younger but I don't have a heap of patience for PSX graphics. I'd like to grab it off the PSN and finish it, I'm just not sure if how well it plays as I don't remember a lot.

I do know to get a crafting guide off Gamefaqs at least.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 5, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Do many of the Square Enix iOS things ever make it onto Android? I was recently gifted a tablet and god help me, if I can put a Final Fantasy V remake on here I will.

On iOS the only FF games are 1-4 and tactics. 3 and 4 are the 3D versions.

There's Chrono trigger though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PTizzle posted:

How does Vagrant Story hold up nowadays? I loved it when I was younger but I don't have a heap of patience for PSX graphics. I'd like to grab it off the PSN and finish it, I'm just not sure if how well it plays as I don't remember a lot.
If nothing else, it has some fantastic textures. It's honestly optimal to play it on a PS2 because its 2x sharpness option looks great. I don't think the PS3 has this capability for some reason.

Emulation is also an option, but I'd actually avoid it since it can oversharpen poo poo and make everyone look like squinty overweight Leonardo DiCaprios with additional facial deformities.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

YggiDee posted:

Eventually, though it usually takes a few months. For instance, it took four months for Dimensions to come out on Android after hitting iOS. Apparently they have some exclusivity deal with their own store on Android devices before it spreads out on Android, which screws over all the other countries without their store. At least they shaved $10 off the price and threw in some free chiptunes.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mega64 posted:

Eventually, though it usually takes a few months.

This is a lie, I'm still waiting for Tactics to show up. :mad:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How is Final Fantasy Dimensions? I've heard it was similar to Final Fantasy V, which I loved. Is it worth picking up?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm mixed on Dimensions, though I'm not too far in. It's probably because I expected it to be the second coming of the 16-bit FF Christ, but it's rather disappointing. The job system's kinda similar to FF5's, but there's a system in place where the plot prevents you from leveling too much in a job. Still, it's not really an issue after the first chunk of plot unless you grind a ton. There's a larger emphasis on surviving random battles, as they can really wear you down, though at least they give save points before most bosses. Shaezerus said this game rewards you more for sticking to one or two jobs rather than experimenting like with FF5, and I'm finding that to be true. There's not really as much variety as FF5, but there's still room to experiment a bit, especially since certain combos can unlock special abilities. Still, you generally want good fighters to soak up hits, and there's not really much incentive to taking MP-heavy classes like Summoner, at least early on.

This is the same company that made FF4: The After Years, so the plot, though an interesting premise, is kinda wasted because the characters are so loving wooden and void of personality. The protagonist is the second most-interesting character in the game simply because he's one of the most idiotic characters ever created in a game, which to its credit the game constantly acknowledges by having the other characters tell him what an idiot he is. The most interesting character is some sex-obsessed woman who constantly refers to herself in the third person. But even the plot twist early on, where the two parties are mixed up is wasted as nothing comes out of it than a few half-assed claims of suspicion. There's really not much interplay between the characters, mostly because they're just so god drat boring.

Yet I'm still playing it, and it's somewhat fun. Just not what I was hoping for it to be, which is largely my fault I guess.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

If nothing else, it has some fantastic textures. It's honestly optimal to play it on a PS2 because its 2x sharpness option looks great. I don't think the PS3 has this capability for some reason.

Emulation is also an option, but I'd actually avoid it since it can oversharpen poo poo and make everyone look like squinty overweight Leonardo DiCaprios with additional facial deformities.

Cheers - I think the PS3 does have some sort of sharpening option, I used some graphical option for FFIX and it looked better than it did on my PSX back in the day. I'd be purchasing it off the PSN so fingers crossed it looks fine.

I'm not usually a stickler for graphics, but those PSX/N64 era games just look shocking to me nowadays, SNES and before is fine. Low-res 3d is just a chore at times.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PTizzle posted:

Cheers - I think the PS3 does have some sort of sharpening option, I used some graphical option for FFIX and it looked better than it did on my PSX back in the day. I'd be purchasing it off the PSN so fingers crossed it looks fine.

I'm not usually a stickler for graphics, but those PSX/N64 era games just look shocking to me nowadays, SNES and before is fine. Low-res 3d is just a chore at times.

Maybe it's because I grew up with them, but I think some of the more stylized PSX games like Vagrant Story, MGS, Silent Hill, FF9 hold up better because they play to the strengths of the console, which I would say are lower poly models with higher quality textures. Mega Man Legends went a different route and its cel-shading has held up pretty well too. Obviously none of them will have high-quality textures but MGS and VS especially have such a strong consistent style throughout that it still works for me. Compared to rougher games like Crash, Gex, Spyro, Armored Core where they tried to make more complex/morphing models with fewer bright colors. I think those look more immediately rough.

I would love an HD texture Vagrant Story, that game was beautiful art-wise for a PSX game. It's a bit like what some of the dungeons of FF12 would've looked like in the PS1 era. I lump VS in the same dark fantasy realm as Demon's/Dark Souls where there isn't as much dialogue but instead an emphasis on the solitary player, improving the arsenal and mastering magic rather than level grinding, and a great mood throughout. Also extremely obtuse to a beginner without external help resources. Too bad there was never a VS 2, it would be interesting to see how the battle sphere/chaining idea could be modernized.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Electromax posted:

Maybe it's because I grew up with them, but I think some of the more stylized PSX games like Vagrant Story, MGS, Silent Hill, FF9 hold up better because they play to the strengths of the console, which I would say are lower poly models with higher quality textures. Mega Man Legends went a different route and its cel-shading has held up pretty well too. Obviously none of them will have high-quality textures but MGS and VS especially have such a strong consistent style throughout that it still works for me. Compared to rougher games like Crash, Gex, Spyro, Armored Core where they tried to make more complex/morphing models with fewer bright colors. I think those look more immediately rough.

Actually, now that I think about it they're not all bad. FFIX still looked good to me and MGS/Silent Hill also held up fine when I played them semi-recently. It's just some games with the PSX hardware really are some of the ugliest ever looking back at them nowadays. Plus compared to a lot of newer games they feel incredibly slow and clunky at times. I spose that's what I was worried about, but if Vagrant Story is in the 'still holds up fine' camp then I'll definitely pick it up.

I just finished Final Fantasy XIII-2. The ending honestly wasn't bad, the whole TBC... at the end killed it for me a bit though. I found it pretty interesting and not super happy which was a nice change of pace.

But what the hell is it with FFXIII and XIII-2 and their ending songs? XIII's was just saccharine and embarrassing with the volume up, but XIII-2's was that on top of being completely and utterly out of place. I like most of the vocal tracks in XIII-2 even if the soundtrack as a whole isn't my cup of tea, but that ending track was so abysmal and completely took me out of it.

But yeah, I can kinda see where the backlash against the ending came from but I kinda liked it personally. For a lovely story it at least had a bit of impact at the end (which Square will no doubt undo in Lightning Returns).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

I'm mixed on Dimensions, though I'm not too far in. It's probably because I expected it to be the second coming of the 16-bit FF Christ, but it's rather disappointing. The job system's kinda similar to FF5's, but there's a system in place where the plot prevents you from leveling too much in a job. Still, it's not really an issue after the first chunk of plot unless you grind a ton. There's a larger emphasis on surviving random battles, as they can really wear you down, though at least they give save points before most bosses. Shaezerus said this game rewards you more for sticking to one or two jobs rather than experimenting like with FF5, and I'm finding that to be true. There's not really as much variety as FF5, but there's still room to experiment a bit, especially since certain combos can unlock special abilities. Still, you generally want good fighters to soak up hits, and there's not really much incentive to taking MP-heavy classes like Summoner, at least early on.

This is the same company that made FF4: The After Years, so the plot, though an interesting premise, is kinda wasted because the characters are so loving wooden and void of personality. The protagonist is the second most-interesting character in the game simply because he's one of the most idiotic characters ever created in a game, which to its credit the game constantly acknowledges by having the other characters tell him what an idiot he is. The most interesting character is some sex-obsessed woman who constantly refers to herself in the third person. But even the plot twist early on, where the two parties are mixed up is wasted as nothing comes out of it than a few half-assed claims of suspicion. There's really not much interplay between the characters, mostly because they're just so god drat boring.

Yet I'm still playing it, and it's somewhat fun. Just not what I was hoping for it to be, which is largely my fault I guess.

Only early in the game will JP be a limiting factor unless you're grinding for some unholy reason. I finally got around to beating the game last night and my party members had around 20-30 JP unspent each.

Only time I ever hit a cap was for the Light Warriors when jobs first unlock because you go through most of chapter 1 without any JP to spend, but you can just use the time to get everyone to level 3 in classes like Red Mage for the passive boosts. 20% hp is handy.

That this company worked on TAY shows heavily though. I'd disagree with Alba being interesting; she came across as insufferable. Her only redeeming factor was that she's probably the best offensive magic user in the game and she was going to sacrifice herself after you beat the game, but sadly she gets to live.

Quick good/bad list:
Good:
Job system similar to FF5 complete with the ability to throw skills/passives on other classes, unlocking a 3rd then 4th slot to do so as you level the class.
F-Abilities. Some are fairly useless (magic missile), while others are very useful even if expensive (Mighty Wall).
Auto Battle. If your cursor is set to memory it'll use what you last selected as well, which makes burning through fights that much smoother.
Game's Duration. I finished the game in the 45 hour range. I didn't do things like collect memories, get the 2nd to last summon, or finish the arena, so it's easy to go 50+ hours.
Balance. You don't need to grind much, if at all, to play through and have a challenge. I ran from maybe 20 fights in the entire game and I was in the low 70s when I beat it.

Bad:
Cost. For the price of this game you could almost get FFT and FF4DS. I got it on sale and it was still more than most SE games are when they aren't on sale.
Writing. The characters are pretty awful as mentioned above and the heavy use of past FF character names (even minor ones like Mayota and Bikke from FF1) seems like both excessive fanservice and a lack of confidence in being able to write characters that can stand on their own. Some references aren't as obvious but just as bad like the former leader of the dragoons being Abel instead of Kain.
Class Balance. Not to be confused with the game's difficulty. Some classes (Bard and Dancer especially) just aren't worth it.

Like Mega64 i enjoyed it but it wasn't quite what I was expecting (since I forgot it was done by the FF:TAY people). If you've played TAY you know what kind of story/character writing you're in for but the gameplay itself is good. SE's terrible pricing leaves something to be desired, but at least FFD is universal unlike most FF games they've put on iOS. :argh:

Using that engine to make more games, but with better writers, would be nice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The GIG posted:

She's Sazh's afro chocobo who got lost in time after Sazh and his son got stuck in a time parodox who asked Etro or someone for help and decided to use the body she got out of the deal to help the time travelers.

It's silly but at least they kinda explain it (if through Datalogs and DLC).

Wait, what? :psyduck: I feel like I'm staring into the mind of a crazy person.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck: I feel like I'm staring into the mind of a crazy person.

I'm playing Grandia 3 at the moment, and normally the childish story and characters would drive me crazy, but considering the poo poo that FF fans have to put up with today, it's refreshingly simple and sensible. The FF writers need a stone faced no-nonsense editor to tell them to cut it out, seriously.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 5, 2013

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some classes (Bard and Dancer especially) just aren't worth it.

By themselves they aren't great (even if Eduardo owns bones for the time you have him) but Bard and Dancer give you some awesome Fusion Abilities in Hastega and Phantom Rush.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Renoistic posted:

I'm playing Grandia 3 at the moment, and normally the childish story and characters would drive me crazy, but considering the poo poo that FF fans have to put up with today, it's refreshingly simple and sensible. The FF writers need a stone faced no-nonsense editor to tell them to cut it out, seriously.

Look at us, so desensitized. A decade ago, we were all "what the gently caress, Grandia? You used to be the poo poo," but now we're full-on Stockholm Syndrome, "Well at least it isn't a post-PS2 Final Fantasy or, forbid, a Star Ocean."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The White Dragon posted:

Look at us, so desensitized. A decade ago, we were all "what the gently caress, Grandia? You used to be the poo poo," but now we're full-on Stockholm Syndrome, "Well at least it isn't a post-PS2 Final Fantasy or, forbid, a Star Ocean."

Or Kingdom Hearts, that's just as bad now. Worse in some places, because SE use it as a proving ground for whatever bizarre plots or mechanics they cook up, and then export it to all their other products.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Wasn't Grandia 3 well received back in the day? It feels on par with the two first games IMHO.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh no way, absolutely not. It was like, "What the gently caress happened? It lost its charm and the characters suddenly became retarded." But this isn't surprising since G3 wasn't made by Game Arts.

This may be a consequence of Game Arts having made Grandia Xtreme.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I remember Grandia 3 making no drat sense and it kept on dropping interesting plot threads/characters for some boring theme about everyone living together, I also remember Tales of Symphonia doing it better. It just made me want to play the first one again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh no way, absolutely not. It was like, "What the gently caress happened? It lost its charm and the characters suddenly became retarded." But this isn't surprising since G3 wasn't made by Game Arts.

This may be a consequence of Game Arts having made Grandia Xtreme.

But the characters have always been stupid? Eh, I'm enjoying it for know at least. The battles are as fun as ever, the music's good and the world is bright and colorful.

edit: Oh goodness, I just got to actually fly the plane around the world. That's nice.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 5, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Renoistic posted:

Wasn't Grandia 3 well received back in the day? It feels on par with the two first games IMHO.

As already said, no, it wasn't at all.

Still, at the time I had to decide between it and Tales of Legendia and I really wish I hadn't bought Legendia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best part about Grandia 3 was when the protagonist's mother and Not Han Solo were tagging along. As soon as they left the party it had nothing left.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How is Final Fantasy Dimensions? I've heard it was similar to Final Fantasy V, which I loved. Is it worth picking up?

I'd say it's worth picking up. The plot is pretty much "whatever", the characters are more boring and forgettable than Luneth and co. from FFIIIDS, and the dungeon design is incredibly samey.

On the flipside, it's essentially FFV's job system cranked up to insanity-the jobs go up to twenty levels instead of 3-7, and while some of those levels merely provide stat boosts, it also means that each individual job has more depth to it than the ones in FFV. Additionally, the music is quite excellent, and the graphics are very prettily done although YMMV (Some call the sprites looking like crappy upscaled Flash, but the alternative would have been pixelated messes or not calling back to the SNES games. The font is inexcusable, though).

Additionally, it's twenty dollars on Android. While this is a princely sum for the mobile platform, it's still easily half or better what you'd pay for a full console/handheld game, and that's a good deal in my mind.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The problem with the FF Dimensions price is that iOS straight up has the DS remake of FF4 on the store for that price, FFT for cheaper, and The World Ends With You for about the same price.

It's not an issue of "Price vs. average price on platform", it's an issue of the same exact company releasing games with huge fandoms and name recognition at similar prices.

Like I might get around to FF:D one day if I've played every other re-release they've done on iOS which is not likely.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Most Android/iOS games are unsustainably cheap, or they are basically priced for the content you get which is not much at all. I'm kind of glad SE is saying "gently caress this poo poo" to the race to the bottom of mobile app pricing because the current environment is very discouraging for any dev that wants to put some production value in their games. If SE can demand, and get, double digit dollars per game, that's rather encouraging for the future of the smartphone platform being something other than a barren wasteland of freemium tap once every few hours bullshit.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Most Android/iOS games are unsustainably cheap, or they are basically priced for the content you get which is not much at all. I'm kind of glad SE is saying "gently caress this poo poo" to the race to the bottom of mobile app pricing because the current environment is very discouraging for any dev that wants to put some production value in their games. If SE can demand, and get, double digit dollars per game, that's rather encouraging for the future of the smartphone platform being something other than a barren wasteland of freemium tap once every few hours bullshit.

I'm ok with that too, I'm just saying you can demand that price for widely renowned classics like FFT, Chrono Trigger, FF4, but these days I'm not willing to pay $30 for *Latest weird SE cashin*

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't mind paying double digits for an app but $20 seems like a lot for something like FF:D.

The problem with putting a ton of resources into a mobile platform is just the amount of time your users will actually be playing it. The only time I'm going to be playing games on my phone is when I'm on a bus or a train. I can kill an hour playing Need For Speed which costs $7 and looks gorgeous - I know porting an existing game probably has some cost savings compared to making an RPG from scratch, but you would think that developing an 8-bit inspired RPG would be easier than having to port a 3D racer (and having to downscale everything to phone resolutions)

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

I think there's a market for people who use their iPad like one would a book or a laptop - and for such cases I can see high-production value games being a big deal. That's how it is for me, anyway - though I understand I might be in the minority here. I have a Vita for all my JRPG needs for now, but that thing just isn't as fun to use as an iPad and certainly not as integrated with my device ecosystem at home. What I wouldn't give for the Persona series on iOS... a girl can dream. :(

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah I spend 3 hours a day on trains so basically the only reason I haven't played much FF:D yet is a lil' ol thing called Persona 4: Golden.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I tried the demo for Theatrhythm on the 3DS today, and it seems kind of cool, but there is one question I must know the answer to before I decide if I want to buy it.

Aside from the DLC stuff, can I unlock all the music by playing on the regular difficulty settings, or do I have to do stuff on Expert/Ultimate too?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm ok with that too, I'm just saying you can demand that price for widely renowned classics like FFT, Chrono Trigger, FF4, but these days I'm not willing to pay $30 for *Latest weird SE cashin*

Yeah, part of the issue with their mobile pricing is that their JRPGs have lost a massive amount of consumer credibility in the last several years. I'd probably be fine paying 20-30 bucks for new SE games on mobile platforms up to the standard of games like FFT/CT, or even TWEWY, but I have little faith that their faux-retro stuff or new mobile games are that good. If I'm wrong, they need to convince me otherwise first, by selling a good one (and maybe Dimensions is who knows) for less than that and building up some goodwill.

$30 is a fair asking price for a really good mobile game, and most customers just haven't associated the Square-Enix name with exceptional quality in a long time

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tried the demo for Theatrhythm on the 3DS today, and it seems kind of cool, but there is one question I must know the answer to before I decide if I want to buy it.

Aside from the DLC stuff, can I unlock all the music by playing on the regular difficulty settings, or do I have to do stuff on Expert/Ultimate too?

I believe all songs are unlocked by earning a certain amount of Rhythmia, which is just earned by playing songs on any difficulty and any mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Donnor posted:

I believe all songs are unlocked by earning a certain amount of Rhythmia, which is just earned by playing songs on any difficulty and any mode.

Yeah, the only difference is that higher difficulties give you more Rhythmia. So it'll take you longer than someone moving onto the higher difficulties as they unlock them but it's not out and out impossible or anything.