Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Flagrama posted:

If it is the original 3DS model he has, I remember it being a pain to make sure the DSTWO was actually far enough in the system for the card to work right when I first got it. You're definitely pushing it in until it clicks right?

Also, is it the 3DS error screen (black w/white text) or the DSTWO error screen (blue w/white text)?

Sorry for the late reply.

It will be the 3DS error screen then, black with white text. It's fully updated to the latest os/fw etc as we did all that on the old DS to be safe.

Unfortunately now it simply doesn't work at all in the 3DS. We had it sort of eventually working on day 1 after a few retries each time but after a few days that's gone away completely. Works 100% in the old DS but no matter how we try and jiggle it, wiggle it, bend it stretch it etc etc the 3DS won't boot it at all. It shows the icon 95% of the time but then comes up with the error - power off screen.

A friend who bought a 3DS XL and a cart this week is coming round today for us to try his in ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Keito posted:

DSTWO works fine on the 3DS, but SNES and GBA emulation isn't very good. Many games run slow and/or with graphic glitches and crackling audio. The emulators won't run any worse on a 3DS than a DSi, though.

For what it's worth, I thought emulation was pretty bad on the PSP too. Maybe I'm just being picky while others are having fun playing games.

SNES was alright, GBA was great on the PSP. I went with a DSI anyways, got one for $50 on Craigslist that was sealed in the box, it'll be interesting to see how the emulators compare.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fazana posted:

Sorry for the late reply.

It will be the 3DS error screen then, black with white text. It's fully updated to the latest os/fw etc as we did all that on the old DS to be safe.

Unfortunately now it simply doesn't work at all in the 3DS. We had it sort of eventually working on day 1 after a few retries each time but after a few days that's gone away completely. Works 100% in the old DS but no matter how we try and jiggle it, wiggle it, bend it stretch it etc etc the 3DS won't boot it at all. It shows the icon 95% of the time but then comes up with the error - power off screen.

A friend who bought a 3DS XL and a cart this week is coming round today for us to try his in ours.

The only time I can remember getting a 3DS error screen was with an out of date firmware. Since you have that all up to date I don't really know what could be the problem. Is the 3DS up to date as well?

When your friend brings over his 3DS also make sure to try switching SD cards. Just because both the ones you tried don't work doesn't mean that you can rule that out as a problem until you try one that definitely works.

Also, maybe you can try re-installing the firmware again. Make sure you use a formatted SD card and do disk error checking on it, and only put the bare essentials of the DSTWO on it.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
He popped round a couple of days ago and our card completely refused to work in his as well. He had ordered one last week and we tried that in ours and it worked every time, pulled it out, swapped micro sd card etc and still worked. I've contacted Chipspain and after them asking about the FW they have agreed to take it back but that's another 10 euros out of my pocket to send it to them, oh well.

The same mate messaged me earlier today, his card has started doing the same thing on his 3DSXL now, ouch.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So, I thought the DSTwo was supposed to automatically update and was pretty sure it had in the past when I'd updated my 3DS. But either I was wrong, or it didn't this time, because after updating my 3DS now my DSTwo doesn't work.

Anybody know any way to update it without the use of an unupdated 3DS or other DS system? 'Cause I got nothin' but my 3DS, so if I can't update it I'll pretty much just have to toss it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So, I thought the DSTwo was supposed to automatically update

Who told you that, exactly? Because you should slap them.

There should be a way for it to install from a file on the card regardless of what the OS is doing (it literally just uses system power to do its thing), but I can't find it right now. You may just be able to drop it into the root of its microSD card, load it up and wait like fifteen minutes before doing anything else.

Alternately: You literally don't know anyone else with any form of DS but a 3DS on 4.5?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Who told you that, exactly? Because you should slap them.

There should be a way for it to install from a file on the card regardless of what the OS is doing (it literally just uses system power to do its thing), but I can't find it right now. You may just be able to drop it into the root of its microSD card, load it up and wait like fifteen minutes before doing anything else.

Alternately: You literally don't know anyone else with any form of DS but a 3DS on 4.5?

I probably read it on some lovely forum and it got jumbled with legit advice from somewhere. Guess I got lucky updating my 3DS in the past.

I have seen some people saying that just dropping it on the root and letting it sit should theoretically work, but no confirmations and a few warnings that it might cause trouble. Not that I can imagine why or how letting it sit on an error screen would hurt anything.

I just moved some two thousand miles away from everyone I know, so nope. Worst case I scrape together a few bucks and buy a used DS from Gamestop, update my flashcart, and return the used DS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The problem that could arise is if you shut off the 3DS while it's still flashing the firmware. Since there's no way to tell how much progress it has made, you risk doing that. But just letting it sit for a good while (15+ minutes) gives it more than enough time.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The problem that could arise is if you shut off the 3DS while it's still flashing the firmware. Since there's no way to tell how much progress it has made, you risk doing that. But just letting it sit for a good while (15+ minutes) gives it more than enough time.

I ended up letting it sit on the "There was an Error" screen overnight, but no luck. I'm just going to see if I can't pick up a cheap used DSi from Gamestop or something, update my cart, and then take back the DSi.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I ended up letting it sit on the "There was an Error" screen overnight, but no luck. I'm just going to see if I can't pick up a cheap used DSi from Gamestop or something, update my cart, and then take back the DSi.

Use a DS Lite, actually. An updated DSi might have the same issues, if I'm not mistaken.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Chinook posted:

Use a DS Lite, actually. An updated DSi might have the same issues, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, yeah. That's actually what I was thinking of when I said DSi. Fortunately the DC area has a shitload of Gamestops, so finding one'll be the easy part.

Wonder if they'd just let me "test" a used DS for a few minutes...I know my Gamestop back home would have.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Ah, yeah. That's actually what I was thinking of when I said DSi. Fortunately the DC area has a shitload of Gamestops, so finding one'll be the easy part.

Wonder if they'd just let me "test" a used DS for a few minutes...I know my Gamestop back home would have.

Yeah, that was my other thought. Just make sure the battery on the DS Lite isn't at like 1%.

Edit:
Vvv Yeah, that was probably everyone's first thought

Chinook fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 11, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Chinook posted:

Yeah, that was my other thought. Just make sure the battery on the DS Lite isn't at like 1%.

Last ditch resort, I take the friendship stick out and start clubbing people with it until I find someone with a DS.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So, I decided to give the homebrew scene a try and ordered a DStwo from modchipcentral. Apparently their credit card system is down - has anyone else had experience in trying to get someone to talk to you? Apparently I need to send either a money order or transfer directly from the bank, either option isn't a problem, but they just won't give me a response. I really want my DStwo, and I'd rather not have one shipped from Hong Kong to the US (they are in Canada) :(

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Then spend $2.05 more and order from realhotstuff.com. It should ship from New Jersey within a couple of days.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Oh that's cool, thanks! Good to know it's based in NJ. I tried a different site before which, unknown to me, was based in China which raised flags with my bank and I had to call them to unblock my card. Hopefully modchipcentral doesn't conveniently lose my cancellation request. Thanks again.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If you still want to save a few bucks and don't mind waiting, you can change the address from .com to .hk. For peace of mind I'll choose .com (NJ) and they've been good about accepting the occasional return as well. I've found shipping from RHS's .hk site to not be nearly as slow as other Hong Kong vendors, though. I wouldn't want to return or exchange an item to HK.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I too am getting into the mod scene with my old DSlite, and I'm looking to grab the Supercard DSTWO. However, I don't know what the USB thing that comes with it is. Is it a microSD card reader, or will I need to buy a card reader in addition to a microSD card? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough at the reviews, but nothing seems to mention what exactly it is.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Takkaryx posted:

I too am getting into the mod scene with my old DSlite, and I'm looking to grab the Supercard DSTWO. However, I don't know what the USB thing that comes with it is. Is it a microSD card reader, or will I need to buy a card reader in addition to a microSD card? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough at the reviews, but nothing seems to mention what exactly it is.

It certainly appears to be a microSD reader.

Also card readers are basically the new floppy drive. I don't know if they're "cracker jack" cheap yet but they're cheap enough that desktop users should probably get one (preferably external) and most laptops have them by default.

As for card read/write speed: This isn't as much of a deal as it once was, but just the same, some SDHC cards are UHS-rated (which perform better than any Class-rated card under any R/W load, assuming you buy from a reputable seller) and the DSTWO can read SDXC cards if you format them FAT32 (you'll need to download something like fat32format for this because Windows is an rear end in a top hat and won't allow FAT32 natively on anything over 32GB) so there's no reason to even look at a microSD card without a UHS rating.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 7, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone else have problems getting the DSTwo to reliably load? I don't like swapping games just because getting the thing to turn on. I have to restart the 3DS five or six times to make it go sometimes.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Takkaryx posted:

I actually bought that card from that same website. The USB stick you see holds the SD card, the card will just poke out a bit from it's end.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
The SNES emulation seems pretty poor for DSTWO. Any alternatives other then CATFS?

Also, anyway to run CPS2 games on DSTWO?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lol internet. posted:

The SNES emulation seems pretty poor for DSTWO. Any alternatives other then CATFS?

There isn't really a chance of good emulation of either of those on a DS or even cartridges with extra CPUs like the DSTWO. You just need a lot more processing power then you can get out of those.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

lol internet. posted:

Besides the problems emulating on the tiny CPU budget of a DS or a DSTWO, the DS's screen has considerably fewer lines (and for the CPS2, also considerably fewer samples per line) than native resolution.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, neither system even used square pixels (more accurately it's lines and samples per line), but you're still crushing the lines and LCDs don't use the CRT conceit that let such a system look right in the first place. Even if you had the power for apparently-accurate emulation it would still probably look kinda weird.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 14, 2013

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007
I've just ordered a DSTWO from RHS and I'm looking at microSD cards to use with it. Is there a particular class of SD card I need, or should any work alright?

I found this Kingston because they were recommended in the OP
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Mi...61525217&sr=1-1

But I've always found Sandisk stuff to be ok and I can get these cards either cheaper or with better capacity for not very much more
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Cla...1524950&sr=1-14
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDS...1525011&sr=1-34

Is there any reason NOT to go for the Sandisk instead of the Kingston? Or am I just worrying about this too much?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Any brand should work, really. I've been using a SanDisk card for years without problems except for its 4GB size, having planned to upgrade to a 16GB one so I'd never have to worry about storage space again. Those you linked are pretty good prices for SD's ultra series.

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007

Keito posted:

Any brand should work, really. I've been using a SanDisk card for years without problems except for its 4GB size, having planned to upgrade to a 16GB one so I'd never have to worry about storage space again. Those you linked are pretty good prices for SD's ultra series.

I ordered the 16GB Sandisk card, will load my stuff onto it next week ready for my DSTWO arriving in... any idea how long international shipping takes from RHS in the states to the UK? Weeks probably... :saddowns:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This is a bit embarrassing, but despite working through a couple walkthroughs, I can't get 3-in-1 Backup to push a save onto my cart via the FTP.

I'm not imagining that sort of function, right? It is indeed possible to load a save onto a retail cart, yeah?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I bought a DSTwo and NDS Lite from RHS HK and DX respectively. The reason is to play games in Korean that have no official Korean version (patched from Japanese or English versions). Is there anything I should be aware of?

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 24, 2013

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007
I was wondering if there is any UK goons in here who have had experience ordering from RHS in the states? My order got dispatched on Feb 22nd (int. tracked shipping) and still hasn't arrived getting towards two weeks later, am I just paranoid/impatient? I ordered from the US in the hopes that it would be faster than standard HK shipping.

e: Is customs likely to be a problem?

Audio Bitch fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 4, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
So if I get a brand new 3DS XL, does a brand new DSTWO ordered from them come with the latest compatible firmware, or am I gonna be screwed? And is the SNES emulation that bad? Mostly looking to play some RPGs like FF3 or similar on it, but I wouldn't mind replaying Mega Man X and Super Metroid too.

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

So if I get a brand new 3DS XL, does a brand new DSTWO ordered from them come with the latest compatible firmware, or am I gonna be screwed? And is the SNES emulation that bad? Mostly looking to play some RPGs like FF3 or similar on it, but I wouldn't mind replaying Mega Man X and Super Metroid too.

I've read that RHS do tend to update the firmware, but I don't imagine it's something you could 100% rely on. Apparently the SNES emulation on the DSTWO is the best you will get on a DS.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I haven't really messed with any sort of cards since my cyclods with my DS lite. I'm planning on making the jump to an XL model, is there anything I have to worry about? Like buying a used one that has firmware updates, or do more modern cards update alongside the 3ds/XL to keep themselves working. I've been out of the loop for a good while and any advice would be appreciated.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

crazkylo posted:

So I haven't really messed with any sort of cards since my cyclods with my DS lite. I'm planning on making the jump to an XL model, is there anything I have to worry about? Like buying a used one that has firmware updates, or do more modern cards update alongside the 3ds/XL to keep themselves working. I've been out of the loop for a good while and any advice would be appreciated.

The only flashcards that still work with current DSi or 3DS firmware are the Supercard DSTWO and one particular R4 knockoff. Apparently only those two had hardware that didn't trip the new security code in the firmware, and since no one else is really updating or releasing new cards that might just be all your choices now. (Also there's an Action Replay that works on the 3DS, but only for DS/i titles).

The 3DS has a decent amount of itself tied to network access and the eShop, but not nearly to the extent that, say, the Vita is. You COULD go without updating, but it could hurt. Also I don't recall if the 3DS does that on-card minimum firmware forced update thing.

The DSi updates are take-it or leave-it unless you desperately need DSiWare; just don't go to 1.4.5 unless you have that DSTWO.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The 3DS has a decent amount of itself tied to network access and the eShop, but not nearly to the extent that, say, the Vita is. You COULD go without updating, but it could hurt. Also I don't recall if the 3DS does that on-card minimum firmware forced update thing.

I think they bundled an update with Mario 3D Land. They can force an update to use the eShop, I've experienced that before. The biggest issue is that the system now has a unified online system (even if you cannot see it) and they might even have way to mark systems as hacked to the network to prevent further access.

They could easily put out a v1.1 patch for Pokemon(one of the most pirated series according to download statistics) for online play. Although I don't think they would go so far as to require it for local play, it would probably significantly reduce the number of systems capable of being used. It's not like hackers have the master key like with the PSP, only a save exploit from a retail game that has to be modified to work.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So currently I'd be safe grabbing a DSTWO and an XL, at least until the XL updates again? In which case I just have to hope my card works in it still?

Or could a firmware update for the card potentially allow it to work again?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I currently have an XL with DSTWO working on it. I bought it from RHL and they had the DSTWO updated to the latest firmware for me upon arrival. Even have the XL up to date too, things are going swimmingly.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Any chance there's a way for me to update the firmware on my brand new DSTwo without needing another DS? I just got a brand new 3DS XL last week that was not updated by myself and this isn't working for me. The website says I need another DS to update....uhh, don't have access to that.

edit: I get "no find system files" as the message when trying to load.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TreFitty posted:

Any chance there's a way for me to update the firmware on my brand new DSTwo without needing another DS? I just got a brand new 3DS XL last week that was not updated by myself and this isn't working for me. The website says I need another DS to update....uhh, don't have access to that.

edit: I get "no find system files" as the message when trying to load.

There was a workaround for, I think, the last update you could do to get the DSTwo updated even if your 3DS had already been updated. I'd look into that. I think you added a letter to the end of the filename for the update. An 'e' or 'q' or something, and then you just let it sit on the error screen for twenty minutes. I want to say it was warned against as being risky, but it worked for me without issue.

Edit: Went ahead and dug around to find out the "B" Method for you. It's apparently a bit risky because you can brick the DSTwo since you can't see the update progress, but you can get around that by waiting as long as you can. You can find a post explaining it here and note that they say to only wait ten minutes, but I'm pretty sure I let mine sit for an hour or two while I did something else to be totally safe. That's likely excessive, but if you've got errands to run or something just set it up before you leave and let it sit.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only thing with the DSTwo is, in my experience, it's finicky about working in my 3DS. Plug it into my lite and it loads right every time. But the 3DS brings up an error screen probably 80% of the time where I have to turn the system off, back on, and hope it work.s

• Locked thread