Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Urdnot Fire posted:

They even come with signature weapons, a silenced weapon for Agent 47, a futuristic combat rifle for Jensen, and a pistol that fires explosive rounds for Rico!

Hot drat Rico's pistol/grenade launcher is great. I can only use it if I wear his outfit and only until I drop it, right? Otherwise I need to head back to my apartment and grab it? I think I'm about to become the worst cop in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I believe you are correct, yes. I haven't bought any DLC yet, and SquEnix's really doing a good job of making me question how to spend my first 400 MSP :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

They even come with signature weapons, a silenced weapon for Agent 47, a futuristic combat rifle for Jensen, and a pistol that fires explosive rounds for Rico!

It's funny that Rico's pistol works properly in Sleeping Dogs when it didn't in Just Cause 2 (the game it's native to).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to use the wire when using Rico's outfit or is it purely cosmetic? It says I can hijack vehicles from a distance but apparently I'm dumb and haven't figured that part out yet. And the game dropped my pistol-grenade launcher for a kitchen knife in a mission. :saddowns:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to use the wire when using Rico's outfit or is it purely cosmetic? It says I can hijack vehicles from a distance but apparently I'm dumb and haven't figured that part out yet. And the game dropped my pistol-grenade launcher for a kitchen knife in a mission. :saddowns:

It increases the range of the action hijack, you sadly dont get the wire.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Which would be cool....if the game missions didn't take your gun away at every loving opportunity.

Or if you had to drop your rifle to talk to people because there's no way to like, "put away" bigger guns.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

SiKboy posted:

It increases the range of the action hijack, you sadly dont get the wire.

If they put the wire and parachute into Sleeping Dogs I don't think I'd ever play another game for the rest of my life.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sigh. Here I sit watching you select which car you want to drive.

The parking lot attendant is hilarious.

Finished the game last night. Now after reading this thread, I am ready to play through again. Seriously, I didn't know you could throw melee weapons. Totally doing that now.

loving. Love. This. Game.

For those struggling with the armored truck heat (i.e. heat lvl 5), you don't have to just ram your way to freedom. The other good way to lose heat are jumps. Just hit the highway and look out for that construction zone that has two long ditches in the lane, or watch for the missing or under construction guardrails. Hitting those for some jump time can get you out of jail, even if the cops are right on your poo poo. Basically, you catch some air in an armored truck and the cops are all :stare:

Also Daptone Radio is loving best. Sagittarius is pretty good too, for the Jam and Souxie tracks.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tamir Lenk posted:

Also Daptone Radio is loving best. Sagittarius is pretty good too, for the Jam and Souxie tracks.
Nothing quite beats Boosey & Hawkes for letting you tear down the highway blasting "La donna è mobile" while some poor, bloodied soul is making a racket in the trunk. :colbert:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MMAgCh posted:

Nothing quite beats Boosey & Hawkes for letting you tear down the highway blasting "La donna è mobile" while some poor, bloodied soul is making a racket in the trunk. :colbert:

One time as I was tearing rear end through Hong Kong with Dogeyes in my trunk, I turned on Softly and they were playing Lucy Liu Vivienne Lu's "Fly".

I THINK THE SPIRITS ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING, SAM.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Which would be cool....if the game missions didn't take your gun away at every loving opportunity.

Or if you had to drop your rifle to talk to people because there's no way to like, "put away" bigger guns.
Come now, the story is the best part, they can't let you be too immersion-breaking. It's hilarious enough when they let you wear just a pig head and boxers for some missions.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
In one hour from now Giant Bomb is live streaming the Zodiac Tournament DLC.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm 14 hours in and this game is really good. The combat took an hour or two to get used to but now it feels great.

I hadn't a pork bun in years before last week but I'm glad this game reminded me of them so insistently.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

One time as I was tearing rear end through Hong Kong with Dogeyes in my trunk, I turned on Softly and they were playing Lucy Liu Vivienne Lu's "Fly".

Funny thing about this post was reading elsewhere that in Cantonese the protagonist character's name would be "Saam Wai".

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

DivisionPost posted:

Can someone explain this post to me? I feel retarded.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Brownie posted:

Can someone explain this post to me? I feel retarded.
Dogeyes = Sam Lin, and Winston's mother used to call him "Sammy". Also, the song in question is audible in the background (audio) during the last cutscene where both Winston and Peggy are alive and not shot dead.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I love this game already but loved it even more when I came across a Big Lebowski reference:

Guy selling a coffee table/rug combo that will "really tie your room together"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

HelmetCheese posted:

I love this game already but loved it even more when I came across a Big Lebowski reference:

Guy selling a coffee table/rug combo that will "really tie your room together"
The people who sell furniture and stuff for your apartments really do have the greatest dialogue :allears: Though I wouldn't mind a quest to make them show up on the map too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Do you want to watch 90 minutes of Vinny Caravella playing Sleeping Dogs? Course you do, here you go: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sleeping-dogs-zodiac-tournament/17-6928/

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

You have money? BUY FOOD ON A STICK!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I wish it was easier to rip audio because I would listen to the "Big Horse" commercial at least once a day.

Something about a man speaking chinese, a lady speaking chinese, and then both of them saying "BEEG HOHS" with a faint whinnying in the background makes me :3: to no end.

Edit: Oh, also I beat the game. Even though the running and combat wasn't spectacular, the city's aesthetics and the story were certainly worth the 13 and change I spent on it. I'd recommend it because most people aren't as jaded on fighting and freedom of movement like I am.

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 3, 2013

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Just picked it up. Currently $16.99 on Steam. The preorder DLC's are $2.71 altogether, and all the other DLC's look to be around $1 each.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

God drat, being in Germany I got the low-violence version (no violent takedowns, which would be ok) which apparently means no DLC, and thus no high-res textures.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Zodiac Tournament DLC finally forced my hand, just bought it on Steam. The old-kung-fu-movie filter over everything :allears: I cannot wait for copious Enter The Dragon references.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just did a face mission where some guy stole my Adam Jensen's wallet after he was distracted by a lady and he chased him down and gunned down him and two other guys. Then some jerk got in his way when he was trying to take a nice picture and he kicked him in the head. I am so glad I bought this DLC.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 4, 2013

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Some of the clothing packs aren't total garbage, as you can get some neat little perma-weapons and all that, but here's what I would get in order from good to bad:

Nightmare in North Point
Zodiac Tournament
SWAT Pack
Drunken Master Pack
Screen Legends Pack

Does the SWAT pack allow you to dress up as a swat officer during non missions?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Some of the clothing packs aren't total garbage, as you can get some neat little perma-weapons and all that, but here's what I would get in order from good to bad:

Nightmare in North Point
Zodiac Tournament
SWAT Pack
Drunken Master Pack
Screen Legends Pack

Everything else is pretty superfluous, or gift DLC.

Completely agree.

I picked up this game from GMG a few days ago (£4.14 total cost, hot drat), not yet played, but seeing as so much DLC is on sale, I figure I should take advantage. The GMG copy was a limited edition that came with the Police Protection pack and the GSP pack. Does this change which of the DLC I should be looking to pick up? I've bought Nightmare in North Point, and am going to pass on Zodiac, considering it's almost at the price I paid for the base game, but is there anything else I should get to make things generally more fun that isn't covered by what I already have? Have to say, I'm tempted by the Square pack, I loved Deus Ex:HR and Just Cause 2 :allears:

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I might be an idiot but where are the guns you get from DLC stored? I only have the first apartment right now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zodiac is not really worth more than like $2. It lasts like 45 minutes or so

Nightmare is ok, I kind of disliked the whole "You can't kill these super zombies till your face meter fills up, and your face meter takes forever to charge up, only lasts 10 seconds, and when they bite you your face meter is sapped" It was just rather frustrating. I'd say it's about 2 hours worth of goodies, more if you want the medals or something. I'd say that's worth about $4 or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

metachronos posted:

I might be an idiot but where are the guns you get from DLC stored? I only have the first apartment right now.

DLC weapons are attached to DLC clothing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Zodiac is not really worth more than like $2. It lasts like 45 minutes or so

Might as well just watch the Giant Bomb quick look, honestly. They play through the entire thing and you get the not insignificant added bonus of :allears: Vinny :allears:

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
One of the Jade Statues in central is in a restaurant of some sort. How do I get in there?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Jade Statutes hidden inside locked buildings are found during story missions. Be attentive to the scenery!

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I'm fairly early into the game, but one thing that doesn't seem to sit right with me is the driving. I don't know if it's years of being enslaved to GTA IV driving mechanics or what, but, it's not a nice experience to drive in Sleeping Dogs :P.

I imagine it is just a case of having played so much GTA IV and being introduced to the physics of a new game, since Saints Row: The Third sort of does the same to me.

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah
You'll get used to it, it's not really that bad after a while. Although the bikes weren't very fun at any point.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

bus stop posted:

You'll get used to it, it's not really that bad after a while. Although the bikes weren't very fun at any point.

You could do wheelies on bikes and ramp off cars. Bikes are fun at every point.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

gredgie posted:

I'm fairly early into the game, but one thing that doesn't seem to sit right with me is the driving. I don't know if it's years of being enslaved to GTA IV driving mechanics or what, but, it's not a nice experience to drive in Sleeping Dogs :P.

I imagine it is just a case of having played so much GTA IV and being introduced to the physics of a new game, since Saints Row: The Third sort of does the same to me.

Get a smart car. Its like a go-cart you put on two wheels.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For some reason Steam is listing Sleeping Dogs and all DLC at -91% discount.

That's 4.49 for Sleeping Dogs and like .67 cents for Nightmare at North Point (which I bought 5 minutes ago at 2.60 :argh:).

Go and abuse!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 5, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Edmond Dantes posted:

For some reason Steam is listing Sleeping Dogs and all DLC at -91% discount.

That's 4.49 for Sleeping Dogs and like .67 cents for Nightmare at North Point (which I bought 5 minutes ago at 2.60 :argh).

Go and abuse!

I just bought it along with the Master Pack DLC for £3.39. This is loving ridiculous. I already own it, I bought it as a gift so I can send it to anyone at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
This is the first time I bought something and then it got discounted even more

To be fair, I got it from GMG and abused the gently caress out of some discount codes/in store credit so the price for the main game was not that different, but the DLC thing is just insulting. :v:

Also I fully expect it to be an error.

/edit: aaaaaaaaand it's fixed.

• Locked thread