Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
When I went looking for a relatively inexpensive practical fun car I had no idea I was buying Car of the Year. :toot:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/jeremy-clarkson-car-of-the-year-toyota-gt86-2012-12-7

As for the differences between them, below are a few handy links.

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/brz-fr-s-what-is-the-difference/
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2998 (another visual comparison but the 86 is used)
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1077434_subaru-brz-vs-scion-fr-s-compare-cars
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1079931_2013-subaru-brz-or-2013-scion-fr-s-whats-the-difference
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10416 (spring differences)

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Endless Mike posted:

So the local Scion dealers have several models in stock right now. Is there any particular reason to go for the Subaru over the Scion beyond Scion dealers adding poo poo? I know the Subaru has slightly better handling, but beyond that, is there anything I should know? I'm just about fed up with Ford.

I know OldPueblo posted links, but quickly summarized, the big differences are HIDs, & NAV. The limited adds more, namely push button start, proximity keys, heated seats, leather/alcantara seats, auto (or something slightly fancier) climate control and a spoiler.

I was looking at the TMV prices, what people are actually paying, earlier and it seems the Scion is right at 25k with the BRZ Limited is just a hair about 28k.

Of the links above, the Perrin one is my favorite for examining nuanced differences.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I found a Subaru dealer with BRZs in stock (seems to be the only one in the area), but they're asking about $1000 over MSRP across the line and don't seem to be terribly willing t budge. The salesman didn't even acknowledge that it's the same car when I mentioned it. I did drive an FRS today and I may snag one once I get my ST deposit back from Ford. It's still not even scheduled for build and the dealer is being useles.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I found a Subaru dealer with BRZs in stock (seems to be the only one in the area), but they're asking about $1000 over MSRP across the line and don't seem to be terribly willing t budge. The salesman didn't even acknowledge that it's the same car when I mentioned it. I did drive an FRS today and I may snag one once I get my ST deposit back from Ford. It's still not even scheduled for build and the dealer is being useles.

What made you look at the BRZ over the ST?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Basically I don't really need the added utility of the Focus. It would be nice to have, but not strictly necessary. Plus these are a bit cheaper and I can get one now. Interior's not as nice though.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Endless Mike posted:

I found a Subaru dealer with BRZs in stock (seems to be the only one in the area), but they're asking about $1000 over MSRP across the line and don't seem to be terribly willing t budge. The salesman didn't even acknowledge that it's the same car when I mentioned it. I did drive an FRS today and I may snag one once I get my ST deposit back from Ford. It's still not even scheduled for build and the dealer is being useless.

Probably a deliberate stall tactic until you came around and purchased a Mustang.

Looking through the car builders, I am once again reminded why Subaru's always wind up as losing options when cross-shopped: the worst financing model I've ever seen. 4.9% fixed anywhere from 24 to 60 months. Why the Evo wins in comparison to the STi, and the FR-S wins compared to the BRZ: both are significantly cheaper.

For context, using Canadian websites and Ontario rates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So yeah, I bought an FR-S in Ultramarine last night. The dealership was actually able to beat the interest rate I got from my credit union, which was surprising. (Only by 0.2%, but still.)

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Now THATS the car that scion should have been building since day 1.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

You're going to have so much fun. :3: even while doing the posted speed limit.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Yeah I'm about 30 miles away from the 4k RPM "unlock" but it's still been plenty of fun to drive.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

This guy locally made a plate to protect the mat against wear, I picked one up since I wore a pretty nice heel gash in my last car's mat. I wouldn't mind if they had a bit less flare but they fit well and do the trick.

http://imgur.com/a/eWads

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

OldPueblo posted:

This guy locally made a plate to protect the mat against wear, I picked one up since I wore a pretty nice heel gash in my last car's mat. I wouldn't mind if they had a bit less flare but they fit well and do the trick.

http://imgur.com/a/eWads

This is a neat idea, i wish more floormats had something to protect more under the heels. I've got a MT FRS that i'm already wearing under the clutch pedal.

I kinda want to buy this since the replacement FRS floormats are not cheap. Does the local guy do Internet sales?

In other little custom bits, I picked one of these up and I really like it, fills that blank space in the console nicely:
http://yospeed.com/scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-center-console-plaque.php

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Won't the emery parts wear down your heel ends really quickly?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

ewiley posted:

This is a neat idea, i wish more floormats had something to protect more under the heels. I've got a MT FRS that i'm already wearing under the clutch pedal.

I kinda want to buy this since the replacement FRS floormats are not cheap. Does the local guy do Internet sales?

In other little custom bits, I picked one of these up and I really like it, fills that blank space in the console nicely:
http://yospeed.com/scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-center-console-plaque.php

The first ones were just for kicks, I think he was going to do a second batch but not sure. You can probably ping him here:

https://forge.localmotors.com/pages/project.php?cg=11501&tab=project-home

kimbo305 posted:

Won't the emery parts wear down your heel ends really quickly?

They didn't have grip tape initially, he tossed it on as a favor but in retrospect I probably should've left it clean.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Griptape is the shoe destroyed, I used to go through shoes so fast when I still skated.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
They don't do this on floormats anymore?
http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/miata-mx-5/tan-factory-floor-mats---tan-black-logo/905-871

(see extra padding on driver's side floormat)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah mine are reinforced under the pedals too, some hard plastic or rubber.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I had some WeatherTech's in the Speed3, and the TDI has some awesome rubber mats. Carpeted mats are just a pain - they either scrunch up or wear quickly. The rubber mats are awesome because I just spray them down with 409, let them sit around 15 minutes, then hose it off. Good as new.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Hog Obituary posted:

They don't do this on floormats anymore?
http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/miata-mx-5/tan-factory-floor-mats---tan-black-logo/905-871

(see extra padding on driver's side floormat)

Some do, some don't.

I'm hoping weathertech will come out with something decent, there are so many pine needles here all of the time, it's nice to be able to just lift the mat out and hose it down.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Well, despite all my B&Ming about pricing, I'm likely going to get a BRZ soon. I got pre approved tonight through my credit union and a local dealership has a limited 6sp in WRB on the lot. If it's there tomorrow morning I'll likely buy it, if it sells before then, they've supposedly got the exact same thing coming in another week or two.

Feel free to call me a bitch for considering paying MSRP :gonk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I paid MSRP on my FR-S. They wouldn't budge, and the Subaru dealer wouldn't budge on $1000 over MSRP. Incidentally, Toyota's been raising the price. A week after I bought mine, the website had it at $300 more than I paid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, Scion is no haggle pricing, so you always pay sticker, no? And just finding a BRZ in stock is hard in some places, so MSRP isn't bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Well, Scion is no haggle pricing, so you always pay sticker, no? And just finding a BRZ in stock is hard in some places, so MSRP isn't bad.

Yeah, no haggle, though they can increase sticker, I think? One of the Subaru dealers by me had three or four in stock according to their website as did the family of Scion dealers I went to (though the actual location I went to just had one that they had to trade with another dealer to get me the color I wanted).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CharlesM posted:

I've always understood their "no-haggle" pricing as meaning that they will sell it for their advertised price. They can advertise a car for less than MSRP, as long as anybody could walk in and pay that price.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, no haggle, though they can increase sticker, I think? One of the Subaru dealers by me had three or four in stock according to their website as did the family of Scion dealers I went to (though the actual location I went to just had one that they had to trade with another dealer to get me the color I wanted).

The online stock things are super wrong, when I went to get mine the Toyota website said they had 4 in stock of different colors but when I got there they only had a black one which they traded with another dealer for a red one.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TastySauce posted:

I'd really like to sell my RSX Type-S with 120,000 miles and get a BRZ, but it feels weird to make such a sideways move. The rumors of a turbo BRZ make me feel like I should wait :raise:

I'm in the same boat. I currently drive a Civic Si, and it's hard to look at the BRZ as anything more than a drivetrain conversion right now, especially considering I'm moderately modded and tuned. For all intents and purposes, I'd gain the advantage of rear wheel drive, but lose quite a bit of power. Definitely waiting a few more years to see what STi has in store for the car.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Just got back from signing papers on a BRZ and putting $500 down. The bad news is that I have to wait until February for it to arrive, the good news is that because I locked it in before the port I get it without any options (like the $800 diffuser or $500 package for two chrome bits, a sticker and a rear view mirror), which most seem to have lately.

:ohdear:

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

enojy posted:

I'm in the same boat. I currently drive a Civic Si, and it's hard to look at the BRZ as anything more than a drivetrain conversion right now, especially considering I'm moderately modded and tuned. For all intents and purposes, I'd gain the advantage of rear wheel drive, but lose quite a bit of power. Definitely waiting a few more years to see what STi has in store for the car.

The smart money says wait a couple of years, there is no way they are going to shoot their load and release all the goodies on launch, there will be plenty of go-fast versions in the future to maintain interest and gain more sales.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I love this car.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

I love this car too.

:getin:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

j3rkstore posted:

I love this car too.

:getin:

Don't love it above 4k RPM till after 1k, I only mention it because I see a lot of dudes miss that in the manual

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

Don't love it above 4k RPM till after 1k, I only mention it because I see a lot of dudes miss that in the manual

Just don't cruise at the same rpm too much for the first 500 or so miles and make sure you let the car warm up before you get in the throttle too much. 1k miles of not touching 4k+ is excessive.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I was told after my first oil change (ECU problem :argh:) to not worry about the 4k rpm limit and just let it warm up before I toss it around so :shrug:.

By the way this car is awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hate you people. I have been really trying not to buy this car. My 2007 tC has been paid off for a good while now and is starting to show it's age, but my fiance and I just got engaged and I'm sure there will be wedding expenses...

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I hate you people. I have been really trying not to buy this car. My 2007 tC has been paid off for a good while now and is starting to show it's age, but my fiance and I just got engaged and I'm sure there will be wedding expenses...

Wait until after you're married, your insurance will go down quite a bit and that will help you justify it then. :)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

The tC will be much better for kids, strollers, etc. :heysexy:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elope. Save money. Use money for car.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

OldPueblo posted:

The tC will be much better for kids, strollers, etc. :heysexy:

Jalopnik showed that you can stick a carseat in the back of an FR-S.

Then again, no one said you had to have kids. In any case, congrats!

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 9, 2013

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Got the call today confirming my BRZ is white and en route. It should be here the first half of February. I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm still stunned by the wait of some dealerships. My local subaru dealer had 8 of them covered in snow in their overflow lot. Scion usually has one or two. Come to Vermont is what I'm saying I guess.

• Locked thread