Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This was just in the Kickstarter email newsletter and it looks like a fun toy, but I would solder my finders to the board and burst into flames if I tried building it :o:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onetesla/onetesla-a-diy-singing-tesla-coil

Everyone watch the video to this, it's both horribly stupid, yet hilariously awesome, at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Migishu posted:

Everyone watch the video to this, it's both horribly stupid, yet hilariously awesome, at the same time

hahaha seconded

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

syscall girl posted:

he did level design for iD back in the days, iirc

he did a little bit of everything just like every id employee because it was p much 5 dudes and a secretary until well after quake came out

but yeah, he was mostly a level designer

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
no one would give John Krustzicker money, so American McGee has that going for him

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1397300529/railsapp

Pledge $100 or more
87 backers
The previous rewards, plus access to the internal list for the project, where I'll be soliciting feedback about how to nail this

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

pay me money to teach me how to ship you the product you paid money for

yeah im just restating the obvious, but wanted to see how those words looked written out . spoiler alert: its hilarious

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
$51,219
pledged of $25,000 goal

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pierogi posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1397300529/railsapp

Pledge $100 or more
87 backers
The previous rewards, plus access to the internal list for the project, where I'll be soliciting feedback about how to nail this

Jon-Paul Lussier Jr on December 13
Can also confirm non-receipt of backer rewards. I'd love to get the sticker and a handwritten Yehuda thank you some time in 2012, but that looks unlikely to happen. Can any other backer confirm that they've received their backer gifts?

Geoff Lanotte on December 21
I sent an email and though I never received a direct response, I did get an automated email requesting that I submit my address for backer rewards. I am assuming that it went out to all, but just in case it did not - that is what happened for me.
I still haven't received an update on the project though... is it vaporware? Has anyone heard? I have a mentee that I would like to get started and this would have been ideal.

Lin Qiu about 10 hours ago
LOL, I think our money went into http://emberjs.com/ (he's been pushing commits like a madman on github) which seems pretty cool anyways. Love what you're doing dude, but take five minutes to update everyone on what you've been up to for the rails app.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the most worthless reward: a yehuda Katz poo poo sandwich

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

brew install rbenv rbenv-bundler rbenv-gemset && rbenv install 1.9.3

that'll be 25000 please

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
ruby sucks so much poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

polpotpi posted:

brew install rbenv rbenv-bundler rbenv-gemset && rbenv install 1.9.3

that'll be 25000 please

new rbenv is rad

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

flyboi posted:

ruby sucks so much poo poo

cjs arent allowed opinions about programming languages

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

wait are the OYUA people actually producing and shipping things that aren't made of vapor? :stonk:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

axolotl farmer posted:

wait are the OYUA people actually producing and shipping things that aren't made of vapor? :stonk:

it's actually not that hard for them to do that. i mean they're using a tegra system on a chip plus some extra components and then thats sloppily designed into a board.

someone post the other board photo where it shows that the usb socket is actually not conencted by board traces, but instead uses a wire going across the board and soldered on to the usb connector.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Gentoo posted:

it's actually not that hard for them to do that. i mean they're using a tegra system on a chip plus some extra components and then thats sloppily designed into a board.

someone post the other board photo where it shows that the usb socket is actually not conencted by board traces, but instead uses a wire going across the board and soldered on to the usb connector.

the hard part is not the board, it's all the expensive injection-molded plastic: the case, the controller shell etc

with 8.5MM, that stuff becomes pretty plausible. 40k a go-round on hosed injection molds isn't as big a deal i guess

with just 1MM, their original goal, i have no idea how the gently caress they planned to get it done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/HelloHarto

My Drunk Kitchen gets 60 large in 6 hours for a tour

My Drunk Kitchen Girl is awesome

i kinda wonder how the tax situation works for this kickstarter poo poo

you reckon my drunk kitchen girl has a an accountant and is paying 30k to the irs for income tax and se tax on her kickstarter dollars?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the hard part is not the board, it's all the expensive injection-molded plastic: the case, the controller shell etc

with 8.5MM, that stuff becomes pretty plausible. 40k a go-round on hosed injection molds isn't as big a deal i guess

with just 1MM, their original goal, i have no idea how the gently caress they planned to get it done

no they ahve the case, it's a completely terrible case and they went to design the board around the case lol.

shits got air vents on the bottom lol. like the very bottom not on the sides around the bottom

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

got a better shot of the board?

i want to laugh at how they've probably designed it using Eagle and auto-routed everything

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
would they even have to design it? i thought chinese factories already stamped out shitloads of android hardware nobody wants, why not just buy some of that

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweevo posted:

got a better shot of the board?

i want to laugh at how they've probably designed it using Eagle and auto-routed everything

take note of the direction of the fins on the heatsink, and keep in mind that this thing will be mounted vertically with supposed airflow to go vertically.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

would they even have to design it? i thought chinese factories already stamped out shitloads of android hardware nobody wants, why not just buy some of that

they did have to design it because the stuff they want isn't desirable for anything else. the regular chinese production will go for stuff designed to fit into stick layout or stuff designed for a like apple tv type layout.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is the controller still terrible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

affirmative

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Install Gentoo posted:

take note of the direction of the fins on the heatsink, and keep in mind that this thing will be mounted vertically with supposed airflow to go vertically.

they did have to design it because the stuff they want isn't desirable for anything else. the regular chinese production will go for stuff designed to fit into stick layout or stuff designed for a like apple tv type layout.

im that horrible usb jury rig horseshit

i could design this better in eagle in 4 hours and i'd need to the first two hours to learn how to use eagle

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

maniacdevnull posted:

im that horrible usb jury rig horseshit

i could design this better in eagle in 4 hours and i'd need to the first two hours to learn how to use eagle

yeah literally nothing is done right in the way the usb port is mounted

sports
Sep 1, 2012
no joke that's still better than even some intel-design boards

with 36-layer boards and other poo poo at their disposal they still screwed up with USB and pcie routing on the Next Unit of Computing

Raspberry Pi too has plenty of issues but it's also really well done considered that they actually put out

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sports posted:

with 36-layer boards and other poo poo at their disposal they still screwed up with USB and pcie routing on the Next Unit of Computing

wait what'd they do? was briefly thinking about getting one of those

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

wait what'd they do? was briefly thinking about getting one of those

2 USB ports are traced in tandem with one of the mini-PCIe slots. Don't really worry about it but the thing froze up in some seriously rigorous benchmarks that don't really matter because of this.

i want one real bad for mountain lion to barely work on it

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Also to change to batteries you have to remove two different plates off the front of the controller, one for each battery.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Jon-Paul Lussier Jr on December 13
Can also confirm non-receipt of backer rewards. I'd love to get the sticker and a handwritten Yehuda thank you some time in 2012, but that looks unlikely to happen. Can any other backer confirm that they've received their backer gifts?

Geoff Lanotte on December 21
I sent an email and though I never received a direct response, I did get an automated email requesting that I submit my address for backer rewards. I am assuming that it went out to all, but just in case it did not - that is what happened for me.
I still haven't received an update on the project though... is it vaporware? Has anyone heard? I have a mentee that I would like to get started and this would have been ideal.

Lin Qiu about 10 hours ago
LOL, I think our money went into http://emberjs.com/ (he's been pushing commits like a madman on github) which seems pretty cool anyways. Love what you're doing dude, but take five minutes to update everyone on what you've been up to for the rails app.

$51,219 :tinfoil:

P-Funk
Jan 7, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

dont forget the devkits have heatsink/fans on them but still no holes for the air to go lol. how can they be that dumb about thermal design

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

that ouya lady looks/sounds like a bitch.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

P-Funk posted:

dont forget the devkits have heatsink/fans on them but still no holes for the air to go lol. how can they be that dumb about thermal design

thermal design? spare me the aspergers poindexter. when things are hot you put a heatsink on it and the heat goes away by magic

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

what i don't get is why it's taking so long to push out, i could smash something together in a week tops

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

what i don't get is why it's taking so long to push out, i could smash something together in a week tops

yeah but you're competent

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

P-Funk posted:

oh no, there are vents. they're just in the dumbest possible place:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh no, there are vents. they're just in the dumbest possible place:

there's also a gap around the top that they're calling a vent

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

so if you have vents on the top and bottom of your device, how would you orient your fan?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

so if you have vents on the top and bottom of your device, how would you orient your fan?

~ouya~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pinterest Mom posted:

When I have come back to my senses,
I'll just be playing the same scenario again,
and always die at the same spot.

Without giving up,
I attempt repeatedly to cross those disappearing platforms,
but I always end up falling down.

If only I had Item-2,
I'd be able to cross to the other side with ease,
but no matter how many times I try...

• Locked thread