Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Username: whatever that blew the fireball almost clocked out of pre-close entirely based on the fact that he had taken his shirt off at some point and passed out smoking a cigarette out back but heroically managed to close a bar to a fairly professional extent despite the fact that he had apparently lost his shirt at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

As I no longer bartend, I would like to extend my condolences to everyone that has to work tonight. New Year's aka Amateur Eve is probably the shittiest night to have to work in a bar.

gently caress that. I'd rather be behind the wood making $$$ than out in the crowd spending it. I'll have my NYE with my staff later this month.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

navyjack posted:

gently caress that. I'd rather be behind the wood making $$$ than out in the crowd spending it. I'll have my NYE with my staff later this month.
Yeah, I don't go to bars on NYE any more. Too many assholes I don't know, when I could be spending it with assholes I do know at a house party somewhere. Plus I can buy a bottle of something for 10 bucks and get shitfaced if I'm so inclined, without worrying about tipping correctly or having to stand in line for a drink! :haw:

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

gently caress. This. Night.

Last two NYE's were super tame, almost slow actually, so we weren't expecting much this time either. But nooooooo, we got our asses handed to us all night long. I had the good sense to do some optimistic prep yesterday which ultimately saved us but still wasn't enough. Running down to the backup ice machine in the basement because the upstairs one was empty before 11pm, burning through all our glassware and then all our plastic and then digging in the back to pull out the "reserves", tossing people out left and right, pouring three cases of champagne in 20 minutes.. augghh.

And whichever chucklefuck decided that New Year's Eve and noise makers go together.. christ. Spending more time with this beer against my forehead than I am actually drinking it.

But! To those of you that fought the good fight and did god's work tonight, this forthcoming blackout is for you.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I survived a 16 hour day only to find out that the only beer left in my fridge is some half-rear end flying fish seasonal. Happy New Year, let's spend tomorrow drinking to forget tonight.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

life owns

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

also, re: life.

kill me

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

navyjack posted:

making $$$

quote:

NYE

You're funny!

((To be fair, I actually had a good night, but holy gently caress I had to work for it.))

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLs5KdeLQg&t=40s

I got to barback last night. I was the only barback last night. For a 200 (Well, 192) person open bar. I don't know what those words mean to y'all. Maybe at your places, the barbacks have it easier, maybe that have it really tough, but I busted my rear end in an uphill push that was going the way of Sisyphus. All of our ice machines in our main building were empty. When I got there. So I went to the other buildings and got 6 huge bins of ice. Cut infinite lemons and limes. Ran racks of glasses, more than I think we even have. Got so much liquor. So much beer. Whenever I was behind the bar, stood in the middle of the two bartenders yelling at the crowd asking if anybody needed a beer. Had to repeatedly state I could only do beer. I tried my damndest to make sure nobody on the team was out of anything, I think I somehow managed.

I'm sure everybody had a rough night, but that was my little slice of hell. The happy ending is I got $138 in tips while barbacking. Happy new year, thread.

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I saw my boss sabre a magnum of Moët,missing my head by an inch, and the greenest bartender blow a loving fireball over the dance floor gently caress you 2012

Username: whatever that blew the fireball almost clocked out of pre-close entirely based on the fact that he had taken his shirt off at some point and passed out smoking a cigarette out back but heroically managed to close a bar to a fairly professional extent despite the fact that he had apparently lost his shirt at some point

I'm not green. I've been bouncing around bars for a while dude. Old traditions die hard, like the "gently caress-this-night-shirts-off-close".

What a night. I know for sure that there was alot of coke around venues that night. The biggest nightclub cracked 260k revenue. It well and truly heaved. If I did't have to open tommorrow, I'd be drunk right now, but I might save that free pass for a rainy day.

The only photo that I managed to get off a regular after blowing ethanol at a blowtorch at 12.

Happy respite bartenders. Get some whisky in ya'

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

My loving friends just came home rolling face and now I can't sleep even though my body is screaming please god no, hello whiskey.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
That was a fun night, my support clocked himself in the mouth while trying to pull out a spout, broke a tooth and left early, leaving me to handle the countdown rush and closing alone. Get out at 3, all plans are hosed with everyone long past trashed, go home, wake up to the deluge of hungover texts and messages feeling bizarrely relieved.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Expected to see these kinds of stories here today. The usual. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Me? Our "champagne toast" was watching the local news countdown with THREE non-employees in the bar.

We had 3 customers at new years eve.

gently caress this place.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell, how did I wind up with a barfly in my bottle of Elijah Craig, now he won't stop telling me about the band he mixed a few records for during the 90's

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coldfire posted:

I'm not green. I've been bouncing around bars for a while dude. Old traditions die hard, like the "gently caress-this-night-shirts-off-close".

You know you're my dude and that I only give you poo poo because I want to get in on our tradition of hazing new bartenders before I become (hopefully) the new bartender, btw I wish I'd seen you jump the bar tonight, in spite of the obviously hosed circumstances that were responsible for you doing so

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Like we've had discussions specifically about whether you or matingley would be more able to jump the bar in an emergency and I was firmly on yr side because I figure you've worked in so many venues full of people that might require the act of jumping the bar to break up fights

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Our dude B said you literally didn't even touch the bar with anything aside from yr hands, which in my mind is the flawless bar-vault so Im pretty happy I backed the right horse in those race

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Btw I'm starting the skeleton of a book I've been thinking of writing, kind of a 19th century guide to etiquette thing, but about getting poo poo faced in venues instead of remembering which fork is for crustaceans, and I will probably ask this thread for ideas once I have more ideas and it doesn't just feel like I'm begging for content

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 1: maintaining an unnerving amount of eye contact while doing shots

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

You know you're my dude and that I only give you poo poo because I want to get in on our tradition of hazing new bartenders before I become (hopefully) the new bartender, btw I wish I'd seen you jump the bar tonight, in spite of the obviously hosed circumstances that were responsible for you doing so

Go on...:allears:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Chapter Seven: The importance of mainlining speed before, during and after a shift/posting on the internet.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Did you just Sextuple post

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Yes, many a time me and my coworkers have discussed the possibility of hopping the bar.

Also which glasses we'd huk to do the most damage. And caging up the place to release Yeu-Gagh, the Snake Boss (a half man, half snake creature with 2 scimitars we keep locked under the beer cooler.) to wreak havoc on the guests.

Of course, nothing ever happens that requires us to jump the bar. On the ultra boring days when we've done all the busy work we can, me and my buddy play a game of Magic: TG behind the bar. Of course, it's one game throughout the night usually. Highball glasses are the 1/1 tokens.

I figure while I'm waiting on my ride to go out, I can do the cool thing and ramble in the thread.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've hopped the bar twice. It's actually a lot less exciting than it sounds, I'd rather just not have to deal with fights.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was in the club one time when the unsavory folks in there decided to start hurling all the glassware back and forth over the central bar. I just walked out, into the kitchen, out the kitchen door and sat on the curb thinking YOU loving PEOPLE CAN HAVE THAT poo poo BURN IT TO THE GROUND. Then I made fun of the chef because he tried to give me some buffalo chicken soup one time like he was proud of it and the next day I saw him cutting the corner off a bag and pouring it into a warmer and he got kind of offended.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Still have never had to hop the bar. I'm conflicted on how I feel about that.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've hopped the bar twice. It's actually a lot less exciting than it sounds, I'd rather just not have to deal with fights.

Yeah I've done it once and got signed off not long after because seeing a dude get glassed right in front of me basically gave me a panic attack

Sorry about the bullshit sextuple, it was a weird night with a bizarre energy and I got pretty fuckin hammered afterwards

Btw there's no way I'm going to discuss an incident in my venue in any real detail, for a whole bunch of reasons. If my coworker wants to, his story will turn up here soon enough, I'm sure

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 6, 2013

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

In my nightclub days, I've broken up around a hundred fights I'd say. Everything from minor scuffles to full-on ear slicing and gun pulling. Fights are stupid, but apples to assholes, every time one broke out at our club, me and my barbacks were there first. Security guys will through you out, barbacks will gently caress you up.

Anyway, I've left that behind, consigning myself to explaining to my customers that I know my bar was on Food & Wine's Ten Best of 2012 and dreaming of Jack Rose milkshakes after work.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Had some guy take a swing at a dude in a wheelchair last night.

Wheelchair guy's buddy broke that rear end in a top hat's nose.

Am putting in a request to have gatling guns installed at all bars. Will train all barbacks in proper belt ammo loading techniques.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

In my nightclub days, I've broken up around a hundred fights I'd say. Everything from minor scuffles to full-on ear slicing and gun pulling. Fights are stupid, but apples to assholes, every time one broke out at our club, me and my barbacks were there first. Security guys will through you out, barbacks will gently caress you up.

Anyway, I've left that behind, consigning myself to explaining to my customers that I know my bar was on Food & Wine's Ten Best of 2012 and dreaming of Jack Rose milkshakes after work.

Don't y'all have a cocktail week coming up?

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

February? I think. I know I have to do some pop-up work, but otherwise I try to distance myself from most of the bartenders and reps in this area.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I'm getting promoted to bartender today. I'm pretty excited, as I've only been barbacking at this particular place for a few months.

I just wanna say that this and the last Ask Me About Bartending thread really helped me learn how to land a job and be useful behind the bar. So, thanks guys.

Some of the places you guys work sound absolutely horrifying. We get our fair share of rich-kid amateurs and drunken He-Men, but nobody has ever gotten glassed or stabbed as far as I know.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

My best/worst fight breakup was back when I was barbacking. As I'm walking from the back bar trough the club to the ice machine at the front, I see one guy bottle another and as I dive in to try and hold this guy back before things get worse, the three of us go to the ground with me trying to put this guy in some kind of chokehold while at the same time holding his arms back because he's got the guy he bottled by the neck and is still trying to punch him. I finally manage to subdue him just as security finally shows up to find the three of us tangled together, covered in blood. They drag one guy off to be arrested and the other one to the clinic to get stitches. I'm left standing there out the back, just covered in other peoples blood looking like something out of evil dead.

The best part? It was a dress up theme night and so I wasn't wearing my normal blacks, which would've hid the blood pretty well. In my infinite wisdom, id decided to wear a tennis outfit.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

For novice bartenders like myself: Why should I physically break up a fight? It's just me every night I work, and I've been able to shout/threaten people down, but if things were to escalate between some customers, why shouldn't I just call the police and chill the gently caress away from where people are beating each other?

I assume liability and reputation are what's on the line?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

If it's just you, then a major reason you shouldn't is that you're leaving your till and your booze unattented. What happens if someone not involved in the fight reaches over the bar and grabs a fistfull of cash out of your till. Or even worse, you cop a stray punch and get knocked out cold. Then your bar is basically a free for all if anyone feels like it. Not that these are likely scenarios, but they're a possibility and the golden rule is never leave your bar unattended.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cool.

So I guess larger clubs and bars roll with security so that their customers don't feel threatened while having a good time and spending money? Makes sense.

\/ - Need to get me a bat.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 8, 2013

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Verr posted:

For novice bartenders like myself: Why should I physically break up a fight? It's just me every night I work, and I've been able to shout/threaten people down, but if things were to escalate between some customers, why shouldn't I just call the police and chill the gently caress away from where people are beating each other?

I assume liability and reputation are what's on the line?

That's somewhat of a difficult question. Reputation and liability, yes. Your local liquor commission's laws and your city ordinances. Your morality as a decent human being.

First off though, don't you ever physically break up a fight if you are by yourself in the bar. Period. That was one of my biggest concerns with accepting a management roll and being put in a position where I would be alone in the bar for several hours at a time. Your personal safety is obviously the first issue, things go south and you are left bleeding on the floor with nobody to take care of you or call an ambulance, gently caress that. A very distant second, you get knocked out or disabled, people now have free reign to rob the place and there is gently caress all you can do.

Shout it down if you can, from behind the bar, but if that doesn't work then get on the phone with dispatch in a loving heartbeat. Just being on the phone and saying "The cops are on the way.." has taken care of most of these conflicts that I've been in. We also have a bat behind the bar which I will take out, for my own personal safety, and that seems to convey the seriousness of the situation and they were far more inclined to stand down and leave.

But most of the fights and brawls that are being brought up here, these happened in venues with security or at least several other employees that could jump in. So in places with the staff to handle it, reputation matters, yes. Don't want to be known as "The place where they sweep up the eyeballs after closing." But the law is what it really comes down to because that is what can jeopardize a liquor license. But those laws vary for state to state, city to city.

In my city it reads like this:

quote:

019.01F Disturbance: No licensee or partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee shall allow any unreasonable disturbance, as such term is defined hereunder, to continue without taking the steps, as set forth hereunder, within a licensed premise or in adjacent related outdoor areas.

019.01F1 A "Disturbance" as used in this section shall mean any brawl, fight, or other activity which may endanger the patrons, employees, law enforcement officers, or members of the general public within licensed premises or adjacent related outdoor area. Any brawl fight or other activity which results in serious injury to any patron, employee or members of the general public shall be reported to law enforcement. Serious injury means any gunshot wound, knife or other stab wound or any other injury requiring medical treatment onsite or transportation to a medical facility for treatment. Licensees and their employees shall not prohibit or interfere in any way with a patron who chooses to contact law enforcement in the event they are assaulted on the premises.

019.01F2 Unless there is reason to believe that a licensee or partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee would endanger himself/herself or others, such person shall take such action as is reasonably necessary to terminate the disturbance. Physical force should be exercised only in extreme circumstances and should be limited to the force reasonably required to terminate the disturbance and remove the individual from the licensed premise, without endangering any patron or other person.

019.01F3 In the event efforts taken in accordance with the preceding subparagraph are not successful or if there is reason to believe that the licensee, partner, principal, agent or employee of any licensee may create a danger to himself/herself or others, than in such event, such person shall immediately contact law enforcement personnel to assist in properly handling the disturbance. In the event law enforcement and/or medical personnel are summoned, the directions and/or orders given by such law enforcement or medical personnel shall be followed.

So if you read that underlined part like I do, we are obligated, by law, to handle poo poo. If we are capable of breaking it up, we break it up (and in my midwest college bar, we're almost always capable). If not or we're not interested in putting hands on some 6'7" linebacker looking son of a bitch, we call the cops. But, our response time is like 5 minutes. I imagine things are very different if you don't have cops already nearby and I have no idea how to go about dealing with poo poo in such circumstances.

With all that out of the way, this is what one of my bartenders looked like after our last bar fight.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Maybe this should go in the med thread, but is there an alternative to a hard cast when it comes to broken hand bones? I popped a knuckle kicking sometime out tonight and it's gonna affect my next couple of shifts unless there's a waterproof option.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Loopyface posted:

Maybe this should go in the med thread, but is there an alternative to a hard cast when it comes to broken hand bones? I popped a knuckle kicking sometime out tonight and it's gonna affect my next couple of shifts unless there's a waterproof option.

I have heard of people getting waterproof casts and that they were waterproof enough to swim in. Ask your doctor, tell him your job requires you to submerge that hand in water repeatedly. If they can't give you something that will work, bartend your rear end off with one hand and embarrass your coworkers, let the barback wash your dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A casts only job is to hold the bones in place. Do long as it does that it is functioning perfectly. The traditional hard cast isn't chosen because it has some special advantage in this but because it's a cheap, flexible solution that gets you where you want to go. I'm sure there are hundreds of other proprietary fixation devices out there that are waterproof, the issue with most of those being that having waterproof material next to your skin for a long time is going to trap your sweat there and prune you up and possibly be uncomfortable. For this reason and the price point it's rare that a clinic will have anything other than your bog standard casting stuff on hand.

Try looking on Amazon for some kind of hand splint that looks like it might work. Do remember though that do it yourself medicine can lead to less than optimal outcomes and this is your hand you're talking about so a permanent decrease in function there could be a real issue.

• Locked thread