Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ahmeni posted:

my mother in law has a 42" led tv that she watches DVDs on a bluray player connected by a composite cable

a shameful son in law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sweevo posted:

i like it when old people buy a huge widescreen high-def tv and then use it to watch vhs tapes in 4:3 stretched to fill the screen

fatovision

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

would you prefer they watched their 4:3 VHS tapes on a 14" CRT?

Yes because i dont trust that the TV can do a proper rec.601 to rec.709 colorspace conversion.

also interlaced media looks best on an interlaced device.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Socracheese posted:

a shameful son in law

i set it up originally as hdmi I don't know what the hell happened but if I change it again Ill be responsible for it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I propose that the scene uses .MXF containers instead of .MKV

• Normal people still wont be able to play the files as the filters are not installed by default anywhere
  • its a container that will accept anything and as many streams as you want.
  • if you steal the DCP from the theater, you wont need to transcode it and you can just play the movie once it's decrypted, since DCP stores JPEG2000 in .mxf container.
  • open sores (!!!!)
  • 10-bit h.264 is actually supported for hardware playback on some pro systems (right now nobody can view 10-bit displayed because the media players in windows don't support 10-bit playback, and most drivers dont support it even if you have all the required hardware)
  • i would be able to open it up in my editing software and be able to make quick edits to a .mxf without having to resort to a text file editor or some bs.
  • people wont risk going to jail if they try to implement it into hardware players.
  • it's still a terrible choice to put h.264 into .MXF container for regular consumer viewing (success!!!)
come on scene. step up and move from your fisher price container to a real pro container.

The Coxie
Feb 14, 2008
Snappity snap, aw yeah!
this thread sucks tbqh

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

when are we going to get film shot regularly at super high resolution and at high fps so that I can feel like I am watching the movie through my window and not like i am watching a movie. I basically want my tv to be recessed into my wall and then i can look through it into a world of magic movies that look real.

is there any good reason it has taken this long to get to 48fps which afik was just so that you had 24hz per eye besides the film industry being weird. Like is there a real benefit to lower FPS

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cryin Burnigan posted:

when are we going to get film shot regularly at super high resolution and at high fps so that I can feel like I am watching the movie through my window and not like i am watching a movie. I basically want my tv to be recessed into my wall and then i can look through it into a world of magic movies that look real.

is there any good reason it has taken this long to get to 48fps which afik was just so that you had 24hz per eye besides the film industry being weird. Like is there a real benefit to lower FPS

film spergs will tell you that 24fps is the only way to properly experience the magic illusion of cinema

also that it has to be shot on film and not digital, 24fps at digital ruins the illusion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cryin Burnigan posted:

i imagine its mostly cost. you need new production equipment, new methods for transmission, new playback devices, etc... to do 48fps. i mean theres only 1 theater near me that even does 48fps and that's cause its the newest one. as old gear is replaced it'll become more common. i don't think anyone is gonna run out and upgrade all their poo poo just for higher framerates when its not that important.

also wouldnt 48fps be 48hz/eye?

theres probably some magic the brain does at 24fps to fill in the gaps that makes it appealing, or maybe its just that we're used to it. idk. high framerate(48/60) stuff still isn't the same as real life. what we need is a framerate that's gonna bypass whatever it is in our brains that can distinguish video from reality.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cryin Burnigan posted:

because film spergs

iirc there was no real reason for 24fps. ~90 years ago the industry decided to use a standard framerate and arbitrarily chose 24fps

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sweevo posted:

because film spergs

iirc there was no real reason for 24fps. ~90 years ago the industry decided to use a standard framerate and arbitrarily chose 24fps

wrongo. they chose it because it was the minimum acceptable speed to get a decent sounding optical track on the side of the film.

Films before sound were 16-20 fps.

hth

I personally am one of those film spergs who believe in 24fps for fiction. The good news is that framerate isn't a dictation, its a creative choice now.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you can put any framerate into .mxf too including non SMPTE ones so still saying we should use MXF

theatre projectors take MXF format. Imagine putting your troll video for an entire theatre to see and you didn't have to pay an expensive house to format it for you?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pagancow posted:

I personally am one of those film spergs who believe in 24fps for fiction.

why?

real reasons please, not "qq it looks like tv", or "its just better"

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

What is stopping us from getting ultra realism out of movies? Is it resolution, color depth, framerate? A combination of all of them? I want some uncanny valley poo poo where its uncomfortable to look at a movie

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
There are also cinematography concerns with going to 48 fps. Shooting at 48 FPS cuts the exposure time for each frame in half. Which means you need twice as much light, either by opening up the aperture by one stop (which lessens your depth of field) or increasing the brightness of the scene.

You're also doubling the amount of data generated, which is a problem for any production.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
can't you use a higher ISO or something

disclaimer: i know nothing about photography other than reading like half a book on it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yes, but that has trade offs too, like noisier images.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cryin Burnigan posted:

What is stopping us from getting ultra realism out of movies? Is it resolution, color depth, framerate? A combination of all of them? I want some uncanny valley poo poo where its uncomfortable to look at a movie

it's because no one gives a poo poo about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

you can put any framerate into .mxf too including non SMPTE ones so still saying we should use MXF

theatre projectors take MXF format. Imagine putting your troll video for an entire theatre to see and you didn't have to pay an expensive house to format it for you?

over the course of this thread pagancow
you have become my new love/stalk interest

good work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

"its just better"

when something is subjective like movies n poo poo
then "it just loooks better" is about as good of a reason as any

anyway i wonder if any of you guys have heard of the "theatre" and instead of taking picture of people, people themselves just stand at te front and chat about poo poo to others sometimes wearing weird poo poo! i know right

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

There are also cinematography concerns with going to 48 fps. Shooting at 48 FPS cuts the exposure time for each frame in half. Which means you need twice as much light, either by opening up the aperture by one stop (which lessens your depth of field) or increasing the brightness of the scene.

You're also doubling the amount of data generated, which is a problem for any production.

welp i remember watching "gladiator" and the action scenes were staccato or hard to describe and it turns out that yeah like youre talking about you have flexibility, on 24fps you can choose to record each frame from 1sec/24 (or slightly less) and get motion blur or you can record each frame for much less and actually record much less information than happened, less motion blur, and a different effect! wow imagine the world we live in

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sweevo posted:

why?

real reasons please, not "qq it looks like tv", or "its just better"

There's a bunch of words other than "It feels better" that I could say, but this guy really mirrors my feelings:

http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technology/interviews/?articleid=3213230

Keep in mind this interview was shot around 2009

24fps 1/48th shutter is a creative choice that looks great and if you don't like it sorry about your crippling aspergers

pagancow fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 6, 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh thanks for the link but why cant people transcribe their videos so i dont have to spend 10 minutes of my life watching it when i could be skim reading it and only spend 2

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

welp i remember watching "gladiator" and the action scenes were staccato or hard to describe and it turns out that yeah like youre talking about you have flexibility, on 24fps you can choose to record each frame from 1sec/24 (or slightly less) and get motion blur or you can record each frame for much less and actually record much less information than happened, less motion blur, and a different effect! wow imagine the world we live in

Yes, they made a creative choice to get less motion blur.

For going from 24 to 48 FPS, to get the "normal" amount of motion blur you're getting 50% less exposure time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
a lot of editors and visual effects artists are lazy and do frame-by-frame compositing and animation and editing bcuz our tools suck and nobody can write "good" software so asking them to say "oh hey now you have to do three times the frames and ha ha we're not paying you more" is not a good idea

also a lot of the tricks that they learned for film composition are tricks that only work in 24fps, like how much motion blur to add to a swish pan transition to make it look realistic

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

RZApublican posted:

also that it has to be shot on film and not digital, 24fps at digital ruins the illusion
these are people whove never needed to deal with physical film

(i havent either, just sayin)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

it was just vaguely interesting as it was clearly an "effect" but until someone explained it i certainly couldnt really even describe how it was different

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

these are people whove never needed to deal with physical film

(i havent either, just sayin)

I've made some short films on actual film a few times, both directing and as DP, and it isn't nearly as hard as video people make it out to be.

No, you can't see the results instantly, but so what? If your DP is any good, if you actually talked with your DP about the look and style you want beforehand, and if you did even just a couple of camera tests, then you'll have a pretty good idea of what your movie will look like.

Besides, if you're shooting your video in RAW like a non-scrub, or even if you aren't but are planning on doing color correction later, what you see on the video monitor isn't indicative of your movie's final look anyway.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 6, 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doc Block posted:

it isn't nearly as hard as video people make it out to be.
Yeah in my case I've mostly just heard "film = bad" from astronomy people for whom it was indeed quite bad.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes i have found all the video professionals on yospos

trap sprung

sports
Sep 1, 2012
sort of glad super 8 the film didn't exactly shoot the price of super 8 up

i like super 8 for some reason but also 35mm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sports posted:

sort of glad super 8 the film didn't exactly shoot the price of super 8 up

i like super 8 for some reason but also 35mm

whats the cost per foot to get an HD telecine of super8?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Doc Block posted:

For going from 24 to 48 FPS, to get the "normal" amount of motion blur you're getting 50% less exposure time.

idk i just know that i w atched the hobbit in hfr 3d and was like "whoa" -neo, the matricks

and i watched it in lfr 2d and it gave me a headache because its jumpy and has tons of motion blur and you couldnt see details that w ere clearly there before

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

pagancow posted:

whats the cost per foot to get an HD telecine of super8?

more than you can afford pal

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IDK about super 8, and I don't know how it is these days, but for 16mm and 35mm the charge was per hour that you were there in the telecine booth, because you can sit there a long rear end time tweaking each shot.

Was something like $150-200 per hour for the low end telecine machines at Fotokem back in the early 2000s.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

IDK about super 8, and I don't know how it is these days, but for 16mm and 35mm the charge was per hour that you were there in the telecine booth, because you can sit there a long rear end time tweaking each shot.

Was something like $150-200 per hour for the low end telecine machines at Fotokem back in the early 2000s.

What do you need to tweak? I thought you just pulled it in log space in format of your choice and tweak at home where it's cheaper?

oh wait.... 2000.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, back in those days if you were shooting on film but finishing on video, your only option for decent color correction was to do it in the telecine booth. Sure, you could do a little color correction once you had it on video, but you'd list a lot of information by then so to get the best results it was done during the telecine.

That was back when people transferred to tape formats like DVCPro, DigiBeta, or D1.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I hate how post houses charge you extra for the 4:2:2 master, its as if they don't want you being able to fix their mistakes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

my favorite fact about 48fps is that bluray doesn't support it (it does 50 or 60 only, and even then only at 720p), should make some interesting sperging when the bluray is announced

gj peter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

do those lovely tvs that enable smoothing aka fake high-fps bullshit support things filmed and received in true 48fps

• Locked thread