Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TinTower posted:

Even real-time bus apps can be wrong, but that's more the fault of the bus company than it is the app maker. (I'm looking at you, First Leeds and your phantom buses).

No doubt that is true but like you said, it doesn't really have anything to do with the app. If they're not going to post their times correctly then it's a crapshoot no matter what method you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ugh, I was actually quite liking the Jamie Oliver app and had bought a recipe pack, when all of a sudden they have transitioned over to a subscription only model. LAME.

It still lets you restore your old packs at least. But to access any new stuff you have to subscribe ($4.99 a month, $5.99 for 2 months or $13.99 for 6 months). Feh, next.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Subscribing for recipes? That's not pukka or cushty.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So you say you wanted money but you know it's never funny
When your shoes worn through and there's a rumble in your tummy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the new Google maps app just terrible or am I crazy? I'll look things up and it will give me the most unintuitive backwards results, or give me the right results and not show a route etc. Am I just using it wrong or something? it seems loving worthless.

God, I wish I could just get the old G maps app back. It was pretty much the most useful app ever.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

Is the new Google maps app just terrible or am I crazy? I'll look things up and it will give me the most unintuitive backwards results, or give me the right results and not show a route etc. Am I just using it wrong or something? it seems loving worthless.

God, I wish I could just get the old G maps app back. It was pretty much the most useful app ever.
Works the same as the old maps app or the google maps website in my experience. With all the Apple maps bashing (mostly deserved) people forcet google maps was (and is) far from perfect.

If it's a critical route I'll check Apple maps, google maps, navigon, and maybe even waze. Surprisingly, the (free) waze app is often most accurate and reliable. v:shobon:v

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't even figure out how to show routes on it. It will show me my destination but no route pops up 90% of the time. Never had that problem with the old one.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

I can't even figure out how to show routes on it. It will show me my destination but no route pops up 90% of the time. Never had that problem with the old one.
You click on the car icon on the lower right and then select the route you want, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Of course it started working the second I posted that. I wasn't getting any route options for some reason at first. Still really prefer the way that routes would automatically pop up on the old one but hey it's free. I guess it's not that bad just different.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I really like the Google Maps navigation compared the old Apple-Google maps where you had to press an arrow to get to the next step.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I'm looking for a finance app that's less intense than Mint. I don't need it to sync to my bank account or anything, I just want to be able to track what portion of my income is going to restaurants, gas, etc. every month. Help?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I just used Apple Maps for the first time today and it was a really positive experience.

It shows the GPS on the lock screen and turns the screen on and off when it's needed and if you use the phone while navigating (I was the passenger) the status bar is replaced by a useful direction ticker type thing.

It got us there too.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm looking for a finance app that's less intense than Mint. I don't need it to sync to my bank account or anything, I just want to be able to track what portion of my income is going to restaurants, gas, etc. every month. Help?

Unsure how an app would do that without syncing to your accounts? Mint is really the best for that since it will auto-categorize things. Maybe your bank already does this on their website?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'm a huge fan of the rdio music app, they even let you try the unlimited music service for 7 days. People should check it out if you haven't yet.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations on an app to track TV shows?

editor
Feb 4, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any recommendations on an app to track TV shows?

Episodes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is so goddamn smart it's amazing I never thought to look for an app before this point. I'm constantly losing track of when new episodes are about to show up.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Oh wow this is fantastic, thanks.

I didn't even know anything like this existed. It all seems so simple now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Oh wow this is fantastic, thanks.

I didn't even know anything like this existed. It all seems so simple now.

I used to use an RSS feed, then a website that emailed me everyday. This is a much cleaner option :yayclod:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

This is loving fantastic, thanks!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Is there anything similar for movies?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

TwistedNails posted:

I'm a huge fan of the rdio music app, they even let you try the unlimited music service for 7 days. People should check it out if you haven't yet.

Rdio isn't bad, but Mog won me over with their 320kbps quality. Streaming sounds so good on Mog compared to any other service I tried.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So is iMovie the app I want for low effort vid making and futzing around, or is there something better out there?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Interstitial Abs posted:

So is iMovie the app I want for low effort vid making and futzing around, or is there something better out there?

Is Game Your Video still free?

editor
Feb 4, 2007

OGB posted:

Recall.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is Game Your Video still free?

Yep! Thanks for the rec.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OGB posted:

Recall looks cool for multiple media, but the IMDB app using IMDB watchlists works really great.

Also, while this isn't really an IOS app, I'd say this is the best thread to place this in. It doesn't require jailbreak and it's awesome. You can put whatever custom images you want in there.

http://lifehacker.com/5972199/carriereditor-customizes-your-iphones-carrier-logo-no-jailbreak-required

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That's.... that's a big badge.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kingnothing posted:

Also, while this isn't really an IOS app, I'd say this is the best thread to place this in. It doesn't require jailbreak and it's awesome. You can put whatever custom images you want in there.

http://lifehacker.com/5972199/carriereditor-customizes-your-iphones-carrier-logo-no-jailbreak-required

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Do you have a link to that wallpaper though? I rather like it.

Also that's a lot of notifications, you know you can turn badges off, right?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Kingnothing posted:

Recall looks cool for multiple media, but the IMDB app using IMDB watchlists works really great.

Never though of arranging the icons like that. Looks awesome!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Perfect! Thank you!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm hoping one day to find a decent cataloguing app for keeping track of my DVDs/games (what I own, what's been lent out to friends, etc.).

• iCollect has stopped development so won't get native iPad or iPhone 5 support.
  • SortIt apps nickel and dimes everything out of you, to the point where if you want to view your catalogue you have to pay for an IAP twice - once each for the iPhone and iPad versions.
  • MyStuff2 seemed okay if quite ugly in comparison to the other two, but I've found the barcode search pretty inconsistent for UK products that the other two apps would always pick up.

Any suggestions, or am I basically stuck with an unsupport app, one that will cost a fortune in the long-run, or one without a great barcode database or pretty looks?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm hoping one day to find a decent cataloguing app for keeping track of my DVDs/games (what I own, what's been lent out to friends, etc.).

• iCollect has stopped development so won't get native iPad or iPhone 5 support.
  • SortIt apps nickel and dimes everything out of you, to the point where if you want to view your catalogue you have to pay for an IAP twice - once each for the iPhone and iPad versions.
  • MyStuff2 seemed okay if quite ugly in comparison to the other two, but I've found the barcode search pretty inconsistent for UK products that the other two apps would always pick up.

Any suggestions, or am I basically stuck with an unsupport app, one that will cost a fortune in the long-run, or one without a great barcode database or pretty looks?
Blu-ray.com has a great collection app. You set up a collection on the website and the app syncs with it, although you can add movies (via search or barcode scanner) directly through the app as well. DVD movies and games for Xbox 360/PS3 are also supported. You can label each entry as "owned," "ordered," "rented," "loaned," "for sale," or whatever custom category you create via the website. It's free and has been updated fairly regularly since its release!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Do you have a link to that wallpaper though? I rather like it.

Also that's a lot of notifications, you know you can turn badges off, right?

http://blo0p.deviantart.com/#/d515vrh

That's an entire pack of different superheroes/game characters in that style. They're really great.

That badge is for gmail, it's there to remind me to eventually clean out my inbox (it's been a while…)

Billa posted:

Never though of arranging the icons like that. Looks awesome!

It's a great way to display your wallpaper. Every other page is like that as well and I just keep all my apps in folders.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Minidust posted:

Blu-ray.com has a great collection app. You set up a collection on the website and the app syncs with it, although you can add movies (via search or barcode scanner) directly through the app as well. DVD movies and games for Xbox 360/PS3 are also supported. You can label each entry as "owned," "ordered," "rented," "loaned," "for sale," or whatever custom category you create via the website. It's free and has been updated fairly regularly since its release!
That looks awesome, thanks! I'll give it a go and start scanning some of my games and movies this week. I'd wasted enough money on all those other collection apps with all their IAPs and just got sick of having to keep paying to keep up basic functionality, this Blu-Ray.com app looks like it should do the trick.

Kind of a shame I can't cover PS2 and DS games as well, but I'll survive. Can't seem to find an iPad version, but I suppose I had to live with iCollect's lack of native iPad version for this long too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There are the collectorz.com series of apps but they are expensive as you also need to buy the PC stuff and whatnot to really use them. They are nice if you have a usb barcode scanner though!

Just tried out the blu-ray.com thing, sort of annoying how it won't let you scan UPCs in a batch or anything far as I can tell. Also out of the ten or so 360 games I tried on it, it didn't know three of them. Weird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Whatever happened to that Delicious Library company, why didn't they make a full fledged iOS app? They have an app that is just a read-only copy of your library from the mac, don't understand why they didn't build a full app.

edit: it was just a web export optimized for iphone, sheez

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 7, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I looked around a bit and didn't see any discussion, so I'm curious. Asked in home recording thread as well.

I've seen these iPhone adapters that come with some form of studio software for home recording. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations they could share? If I could just find something just barely robust enough to let me do some tracking I would be happy.

Thanks!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

priznat posted:

Whatever happened to that Delicious Library company, why didn't they make a full fledged iOS app?

It actually did exist for a while, then Apple killed it for some reason if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I thought Delicious Library was killed because Amazon wouldn't allow the devs access to their API for a mobile app. I was helping my dad use it to catalog novels he's read and ended up just doing the web app export for him.

• Locked thread