Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Just had an impromptu vertical of Anchor Christmas 2010, 2011 and 2012 at Aces. The 10 was clearly the worst, all the flavors faded and it was a touch oxidized. 2011 was my favorite, good winter spices and very drinkable. 2012 is good but if it ages like the 11 I'll be happier with it next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I had a vertical recently of Big Bad Baptist, I had batches 2, 5, and 9. As you could imagine, as Big Bad Baptist ages, the coffee flavor begins to drop off. I would describe Batch 2 as drinking a coffee flavored bourbon, where as 9 was more like drinking bourbon flavored coffee. Batch 5 was a very nicely balanced barrel aged coffee stout, and what I would imagine many people would enjoy... it was aged 6 months. My personal favorite was Batch 9, because I tend to favor very coffee forward stouts.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Foothill's announced they'll be releasing Sexual Chocolate this year on Feb. 2nd. Of course, the one weekend I'm gonna be out of town...

I guess I'll still get to have it on draft several places around town. It looks like it and Hopslam will both be available around the same time here in NC. Going to be a good Feb.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Kudosx posted:

I had a vertical recently of Big Bad Baptist, I had batches 2, 5, and 9. As you could imagine, as Big Bad Baptist ages, the coffee flavor begins to drop off. I would describe Batch 2 as drinking a coffee flavored bourbon, where as 9 was more like drinking bourbon flavored coffee. Batch 5 was a very nicely balanced barrel aged coffee stout, and what I would imagine many people would enjoy... it was aged 6 months. My personal favorite was Batch 9, because I tend to favor very coffee forward stouts.

You sir are living the dream, love that stuff! I'm not sure which batch this last one was but it is pretty amazing, just the right bit of bourbon to all that boozy coffee and chocolate goodness.

I am trying Palo Santo Marron for the first time tonight. But wait, it gets better. I'm trying the 2012 along with the 2008, While watching the video from that 4-pack. They keep talking about their wood a lot...heheheheh.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
GLBC just released the info for the BA Blackout Stout release. It's going to cost $30/4 pack this year... that's definitely going to hurt my wallet. I was thinking about having a friend go with me so I could buy two cases, but at that price I think I'm going to only buy a single case.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Kudosx posted:

Maybe I just got a bad bottle but I had a Big Bad Baptist a little over a month ago and was completely unimpressed. Not sure which batch it was because I bought it on a whim on my trip to Colorado. I am a total sucker for coffee beers, there's very few I've had that I didn't think were at least decent. BBB seemed really muddled to me though, neither the bourbon nor the coffee stood out.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

GLBC just released the info for the BA Blackout Stout release. It's going to cost $30/4 pack this year... that's definitely going to hurt my wallet. I was thinking about having a friend go with me so I could buy two cases, but at that price I think I'm going to only buy a single case.

Holy poo poo! That's 30% more than BCBS at retail. Insane.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

So I just saw the Samuel Adams spring package at the store yesterday.......

Anyone have a line on when Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye will be released?

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Macasaurus posted:

So I just saw the Samuel Adams spring package at the store yesterday.......

Anyone have a line on when Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye will be released?

It's shipping out to stores now. You should see it in the next week or two, or you could go to their release party tomorrow if you live nearby.

E: they have a beer locator: http://www.sierranevada.com/beer-locator
Looks like it's on tap right down the street from where I live right now.

SHAKY DEFENSE fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 5, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh, god, 2005 bottle of Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer Blau. Thank you, Flying Pig, for having things like that on your bottle list at ridiculously reasonable prices.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I'm strongly considering just buying a case of Brooklyn BCS, and a case of Founders Imperial Stout instead of buying a case of BA Blackout Stout. I'd save $50, and would get twice as much beer. It sounds like a pretty good beer, but it's not even 10% alcohol, and very few beers are worth that kind of price tag to me.

Edit: Actually, I buy beers for that price all the time... just not a case of them. I typically stick to a single bomber for $15-20, or a single 12 oz bottle for $10, and that's honestly a rarity. I tend to buy beers around $2-4

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 5, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

I'm strongly considering just buying a case of Brooklyn BCS, and a case of Founders Imperial Stout instead of buying a case of BA Blackout Stout. I'd save $50, and would get twice as much beer. It sounds like a pretty good beer, but it's not even 10% alcohol, and very few beers are worth that kind of price tag to me.

Edit: Actually, I buy beers for that price all the time... just not a case of them. I typically stick to a single bomber for $15-20, or a single 12 oz bottle for $10, and that's honestly a rarity. I tend to buy beers around $2-4

Have you had this years Black Chocolate Stout? I usually love the beer but this year it has a slight soy on the finish and isn't as enjoyable as I remember it. I've had it on tap and it's been fine, but the 4 pack I got isn't tasting as good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

You sir are living the dream, love that stuff! I'm not sure which batch this last one was but it is pretty amazing, just the right bit of bourbon to all that boozy coffee and chocolate goodness.

BBB should start being even easier to come by. Epic has announced plans to open a much larger second brewery in Denver.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Have you had this years Black Chocolate Stout? I usually love the beer but this year it has a slight soy on the finish and isn't as enjoyable as I remember it. I've had it on tap and it's been fine, but the 4 pack I got isn't tasting as good.

Yeah, and this year was my first time trying it... so I can't really compare it to past years. It is not my favorite stout of all time, but it is $8/4 pack, and I had heard it's much better with a year age on it, so I was just kind of hoping it was much better after a year. I didn't get any soy flavor from it or anything, I just didn't think it was quite as tasty as my other favorite RIS's (Expedition, Stone, Founder's).

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

It's shipping out to stores now. You should see it in the next week or two, or you could go to their release party tomorrow if you live nearby.

E: they have a beer locator: http://www.sierranevada.com/beer-locator
Looks like it's on tap right down the street from where I live right now.

Thanks, bit early for "spring" though, even though I live in florida.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
420 support local beer everyday

Anybody in the MA/RI/CT area go visit Foolproof Brewery in Pawtucket, RI. They are just getting started and all three offerings (Barstool - sessionable American Golden Ale, Backyahd - IPA, and Raincloud - Porter) are all good examples, my favorite being Barstool, and a great tour for $10 to boot.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Cracked my 4 Calling Birds for a family Christmas thing. It's like a big dark fruitcake, all spices and dark fruits and heat. I like it more than I expected to.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I saw Hopslam is supposed to be shipping this coming week to Ohio (or shipping to Ohio]. Newish to the craft beer scene so does that mean I should be able to get it next week or is there usually a slight delay between what Bells says and when I'll see it on the shelf.

It's been on my to-try list

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Phanatic posted:

Oh, god, 2005 bottle of Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer Blau. Thank you, Flying Pig, for having things like that on your bottle list at ridiculously reasonable prices.

I haven't been to the pig in many years, I remember them having a decent selection last time I went. However, being a townie I risk seeing people from High School I have no desire to see. I'll have to make an exception and check it out next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Opened a 2012 Tart of Darkness because gently caress my family. It's hugely sour, tons of lacto on the nose, and absolutely delicious. Sadly it's only 5.6% so it's not making my family any more tolerable.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kudosx posted:

I liked the lone BA Blackout that I've had but it doesn't hold a candle to BCBS or BB Plead the 5th. Next time take the trip up to Marshall and enjoy (or despise) the 4 Elf party.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 6, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

CancerStick posted:

I saw Hopslam is supposed to be shipping this coming week to Ohio (or shipping to Ohio]. Newish to the craft beer scene so does that mean I should be able to get it next week or is there usually a slight delay between what Bells says and when I'll see it on the shelf.

It's been on my to-try list

Probably look next week. It's worth hunting down. One of the 3 best IIPAs in my opinion.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Probably look next week. It's worth hunting down. One of the 3 best IIPAs in my opinion.

I had it for the first time when it dropped last year and everyone was blowing their stack for it. I bought a six pack, and while I didn't regret it, I figured out that I'd rather have my DIPAs dry.

Also, I'm finally home from Europe, and I have to say that if you have the opportunity to visit the Cantillon brewery, do it. Their brewing process and the brewery as a whole is like jumping in a time machine back to 1900. Also got to have a full bottle of Zwanze 2012 :)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
So... I just read the label on one of my bottles of Victory at Sea, and I had to ask here... is it actually a blend of coffee and beer? The way they describe the beer on the label, it makes it sound like they blended cold coffee with a vanilla Imperial Porter, is that correct? Either way, it's fine with me, as long as it always tastes as delicious as it has been.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kudosx posted:

So... I just read the label on one of my bottles of Victory at Sea, and I had to ask here... is it actually a blend of coffee and beer? The way they describe the beer on the label, it makes it sound like they blended cold coffee with a vanilla Imperial Porter, is that correct? Either way, it's fine with me, as long as it always tastes as delicious as it has been.

That's correct.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Any breweries worth stopping at in Orlando area? I think this was hashed out a dozen pages back but can't find it.

I'm from NJ, so planning on picking up some Cigar City to drink at a bottle shop. After that :iiam:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

bartolimu posted:

Cracked my 4 Calling Birds for a family Christmas thing. It's like a big dark fruitcake, all spices and dark fruits and heat. I like it more than I expected to.

Shared some with my Father in law whom I visited in Idaho for Christmas and I totally loved it. You getting any of the Barrel Aged version? I can see it being possibly incredibly awesome.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jahoodie posted:

Any breweries worth stopping at in Orlando area?

No. Just drink at Redlight Redlight, buy bottles at the OBT Knightly Spirits.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I know Boulevard doesn't get a lot of attention in here, but y'all definitely need to grab some Nommo Dubbel while you can. It's even better than this year's Bernardus Christmas, and I love me some Bernardus Christmas.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I know Boulevard doesn't get a lot of attention in here

Say "Tank 7" or "Love Child" and see about that attention...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Say "Tank 7" or "Love Child" and see about that attention...

And Saison Brett.

Honestly, Nommo is pretty close to my least favourite dubbel around. I've had it both fresh and aged, and it doesn't compare to any of the Trappist dubbels or even Pere Jacques.

edit: Also, drinking a two-week-old growler of Haymarket's Angel's Envy BA stout, and it's a little oxidized but still amazing. Really loving outstanding beer which I think is still on tap there.

edit 2: Will post photos and more experiences from my UK and Brussels trip later today.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 6, 2013

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

How about Boulevard Single or Double-Wide? Both of those when fresh are some of the best IPA I've had.

Also, The Sixth Glass is the best American rendition of a quad I've tried

tldr: don't sleep on Boulevard, seriously good beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

TenaciousTomato posted:

How about Boulevard Single or Double-Wide? Both of those when fresh are some of the best IPA I've had.

Also, The Sixth Glass is the best American rendition of a quad I've tried

tldr: don't sleep on Boulevard, seriously good beer.

Sixth Glass is just so thin for a quad, though. I mean, it's not bad at all, there's nothing to dislike about it specifically, but given how the best in the style taste, Sixth Glass just lacks that viscosity which sets the best apart.

For US/CAN quads, I'd go with Allagash's Four, Smuttynose's Gravitation, Dieu du Ciel's Rigor Mortis ABT, then Lost Abbey's Judgment Day (when it's good, has always been inconsistent for some reason) in that order.

All that said, Tank 7 became my favorite saison, US or otherwise, very very quickly. I need to trade for some of Boulevard's other grassy/bretty beers to see how their similarly-styled offerings fair.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

Sixth Glass is just so thin for a quad, though. I mean, it's not bad at all, there's nothing to dislike about it specifically, but given how the best in the style taste, Sixth Glass just lacks that viscosity which sets the best apart.

For US/CAN quads, I'd go with Allagash's Four, Smuttynose's Gravitation, Dieu du Ciel's Rigor Mortis ABT, then Lost Abbey's Judgment Day (when it's good, has always been inconsistent for some reason) in that order.

All that said, Tank 7 became my favorite saison, US or otherwise, very very quickly. I need to trade for some of Boulevard's other grassy/bretty beers to see how their similarly-styled offerings fair.

Sixth Glass is a good quad, but I'd take Judgement Day or Three Philosophers over it for American made quads any day.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Sixth Glass is a good quad, but I'd take Judgement Day or Three Philosophers over it for American made quads any day.

drat, Three Philosophers, you're right. TSG is too thin I agree there as well, but still a pretty good American example for a decent price

Guess I set myself up when I explicitly said 'the best,' huh?

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 7, 2013

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Rye on Rye is another really good Boulevard one I tried recently. I would definitely get it again.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
I'm a fan of Harpoon's Leviathan series, especially the IIPA and the Czernobog porter which I just tried. Is there anything that I should either look for or avoid in that series or perhaps similar beers?

Duckboat fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 7, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Speaking of both Harpoon and quads, I found theirs to be fairly nice with a year on it (tried fresh, too boozy, forgot about it).

I've also grown too weary of that Ommegang yeast flavor to take 3P over The Sixth Glass.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
You guys have inspired me to have a Quad Night with 3P, Sixth Glass, Choc's Quad, Coop DNR and BBQ.

Probably a good idea to hang onto my guests' keys that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

You guys have inspired me to have a Quad Night with 3P, Sixth Glass, Choc's Quad, Coop DNR and BBQ.

Probably a good idea to hang onto my guests' keys that night.

I'm not sure if BBQ really fits with those. With the fruit and the barrel-aging, it's hard to compare to a standard quad.

Also, that poo poo is awesome.