Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

frumpsnake posted:

The last release of DarkELEC is over 2 months old at this point and still running an XBMC alpha, is barely maintained+tested (look at the release notes for r3), doesn't actually use the full 512MB on newer RPis, and really not necessary now that the main OpenELEC has improved RPi support over the last few months and made it an official target in v3.

Yeah. I see that OpenElec just had a new release a day or two ago so that should hopefully leapfrog over DarkElec's performance gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Is there any skins that perform better than the default for XBMC on the Pi ?

I use Yatse 99% of the time but every now and then I find my self browsing through the library and was wondering if there is anything better.

Edit: Also does Openelec overclock by default now or have things just come along way? I haven't really used my Pi with XBMC for a while but Openelec is doing much better than last time I used it, use to have issues with DTS but now everything with it plays smoothly.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 6, 2013

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

JerseyMonkey posted:

Haven't used my Pi in a while and today it has just a red light when I turn it on. Wondering if maybe it could've been damaged by static shock as it is at dog tail level. Red light seems to be failure to read SD, but I imaged two SD card with no luck. Guess I might need to buy another Pi? :(

Check the SD card mount. Mine broke in one of the ones I had, they seem to be very flimsy.

Luckily mine was like 2 days old and was able to RMA it with no hassles.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JerseyMonkey posted:

Haven't used my Pi in a while and today it has just a red light when I turn it on. Wondering if maybe it could've been damaged by static shock as it is at dog tail level. Red light seems to be failure to read SD, but I imaged two SD card with no luck. Guess I might need to buy another Pi? :(

Check to make sure one of the teeth is not depressed; it appears to come up a lot. Second check to make sure all your files are there for boot loading. I had the red light when I first got mine and it turned out I was just missing a file called loader.bin or some such.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

frumpsnake posted:

- OpenELEC is fine if you have a Linux machine, but a pain in the rear end on Windows and Mac, which require using an unofficial image. It doesn't doesn't resize your SD card to the full size on boot up, meaning you have to resize it yourself with GParted, or download an another unofficial image tailored to the size of your card and waste a lot of time writing many gigabytes of zeroes to your card. Once set up it's fine, and future updates are easy. But it also ships with ridiculously lovely defaults that make fanart and poster images look like complete and utter poo poo, requiring you to override them in advancedsettings.xml with something more sensible like thumbres=720/imageres=512. On the plus side it performs the best and has actual knowledgable devs that work on both XBMC and OpenELEC.

What do you mean the poster images look like complete utter poo poo? I'm a novice and been using openelec for a little while and never noticed anything that bad?

I mostly have no problem with my RPi and Openelec but the other day I tried to read a 720p movie and had a bad stutter every 5-10 sec during playback, I couldn't really find out what was wrong since I play TV Series at that quality easily. Should I bother looking into overclocking my pi?

EDIT: Could you explain how I can correctly increase the size of my sd card using Gparted? I have a mac or a windows box so I guess I'm royally hosed? How the hell do I even update my current openelec version then... auto update wouldn't work either I guess

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 6, 2013

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Puddin posted:

Check the SD card mount. Mine broke in one of the ones I had, they seem to be very flimsy.

Luckily mine was like 2 days old and was able to RMA it with no hassles.

YouTuber posted:

Check to make sure one of the teeth is not depressed; it appears to come up a lot. Second check to make sure all your files are there for boot loading. I had the red light when I first got mine and it turned out I was just missing a file called loader.bin or some such.

Tested the pins and tried nudging the card a little to see if that would register a difference. Apparently the SD port is really weak. :|

Guess I am going to purchase another Pi.

Is there anything I can do with a Pi without that SD reader?

Also, I purchased this case from Adafruit: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1067
It was difficult to install, extremely snug. Wondering if maybe forcing it to fit in the case put some unnecessary pressure on the components, though from inspection everything seemed ok.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 6, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

JerseyMonkey posted:

Is there anything I can do with a Pi without that SD reader?

Maybe solder a microsd adapter in its place?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

WoG posted:

Maybe solder a microsd adapter in its place?

I guess one issue is I still don't know what is wrong with my Pi. It just shows a red power light which assumes no SD card read, but it could be something else. Probably not worth the time to investigate.

Also, the SD card port isn't really damaged. The pins seem to be fine and as long as I taped the SD card adapter, it should work, except it still wont boot/read SD cards.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Using DarkElec *an OpenElec fork aimed at the Raspberry Pi specfically* it takes about 2 seconds for it to switch from the main splash page to any library, TV Shows or Movies. The only really slow portion is starting the stream of anything over the network. Music is nearly instant while 2+ hour movies take maybe 5-10 seconds to get started and then it's seamless.

Wow my overclocked RMBC it probably takes a full minute to find navigate the menu to a movie that I knew exactly where it was. I have to dig about 6 levels deep on a windows share and each step takes 10 seconds. Once I get there I'm happy to wait 10 seconds to start a movie but the menu speed is maddening.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

JerseyMonkey posted:

Also, the SD card port isn't really damaged. The pins seem to be fine and as long as I taped the SD card adapter, it should work, except it still wont boot/read SD cards.
I never got mine to read a micro sd - I had to use a full size sd card. I think I remember reading way back that the adapters might introduce inconsistency.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Sendo posted:

Edit: Also does Openelec overclock by default now or have things just come along way?
It's just come a long way, to overclock on OpenELEC you have to edit config.txt manually.

Le0 posted:

What do you mean the poster images look like complete utter poo poo? I'm a novice and been using openelec for a little while and never noticed anything that bad?
The default sizes of poster images is only 256px high, which is tiny considering the menu is rendered at 720p and then quite likely upscaled to 1080p on your TV.

<imageres>512</imageres>

<imageres>256</imageres> (OpenELEC default)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

double post

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
This is probably not very exciting for most people in this thread but I finally got everything configured correctly so that people outside of my network can view websites hosted by my RaspPi. It took an embarrassing amount of time. There was much learning involved. Now I just need to figure out FTP and I'll be set.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

KetTarma posted:

This is probably not very exciting for most people in this thread but I finally got everything configured correctly so that people outside of my network can view websites hosted by my RaspPi. It took an embarrassing amount of time. There was much learning involved. Now I just need to figure out FTP and I'll be set.

That is very exciting to me - I am looking at doing that myself. Do you have any pointers on how to go about it? I am OK with installing web servers / PHP / WordPress etc., it's the network stuff that has me scratching my head.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

frumpsnake posted:

It's just come a long way, to overclock on OpenELEC you have to edit config.txt manually.
The default sizes of poster images is only 256px high, which is tiny considering the menu is rendered at 720p and then quite likely upscaled to 1080p on your TV.

Oh yeah I see that now, I went back to my XBMC and could notice that the pictures were kinda crappy.
Is there any disadvantage to upping the thumbs resolution besides the files will be bigger?

langurmonkey posted:

That is very exciting to me - I am looking at doing that myself. Do you have any pointers on how to go about it? I am OK with installing web servers / PHP / WordPress etc., it's the network stuff that has me scratching my head.

Network wise you need to forward the port of your webserver on your Pi on your router. So that when people from outside your network contact your outside ip + port it is forwarded to your RPi

i.e. You contact the RPi webserver on let's say http://192.168.0.10:80 you need to configure your router so that when someone from the outside of your network uses http://60.0.10.1:80 it routes this port to 192.168.0.10:80

I'm not very good with networks but maybe this is understandable, at least that's how I did it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Le0 posted:

Oh yeah I see that now, I went back to my XBMC and could notice that the pictures were kinda crappy.
Is there any disadvantage to upping the thumbs resolution besides the files will be bigger?
I would guess that maybe they are dropping resolution to save precious RAM. maybe less an issue on 512MB models.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's possible, but then again, Raspbmc and Xbian both default to higher quality art and they still work fine on 256MB models.

And reducing the quality of background fanart to 480p or better yet disabling it entirely would probably give you a net gain in RAM and speed.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I installed the noip2 client to update a DNS server with my IP address every 30 minutes. Apache2 is providing the server. I set my router to have a dynamic dns service run with noip. Finally, I set up port forwarding to my pi on port80. I have to stop apache to get to my router's configuration page but otherwise everything works fine. All of the stuff with dynamic dns and noip is because Time Warner doesnt offer static IPs for residential customers.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Are there any sites where raspberry is both in stock and is close to promised $35? They expect 7200 units on Feb 6 in Newark/element14, but I don't know how quickly it will be gone, as it seems that interest is still high. Basically I am trying to understand if I should wait almost a month for a 10min buying window or just pay more.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I got one from Adafruit mid last year for $40 plus $5 shipping. Right now though Adafruit is only selling them as part of a $100 kit. If you pick one up from a third party, $40 seems to be the going price. They are out of stock everywhere I looked just now, so this may be a generally bad time to try to find them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Exergy posted:

Are there any sites where raspberry is both in stock and is close to promised $35? They expect 7200 units on Feb 6 in Newark/element14, but I don't know how quickly it will be gone, as it seems that interest is still high. Basically I am trying to understand if I should wait almost a month for a 10min buying window or just pay more.

Just bought from MCMElectronics in the US 10 minutes ago. Paid $35 plus $10 shipping. They're a Farnell company.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I can't seem to get my rPi to stay powered up for more than a couple minutes with any operating system, even with nothing connected to it except for a CAT5 cable.

I'm using the power supply that Nerdvittles recommended, and this cable. Any ideas?

Muffin Top
Jan 7, 2013

Exergy posted:

Two weeks ago I ordered it from MCM Electronics at 35USD since during that time it looked like amazon was price gouging at 60USD which was ridiculous.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Exergy posted:

Newark says they have 1 in stock right now http://www.newark.com/jsp/bespoke/b...ypi-Accessories (it seems to vary but they have stock) and there's a free shipping code JANFF. I read about the code: http://slickdeals.net/f/5780490-Raspberry-Pi-512mb-Model-B-Back-in-Stock-Newark-35-w-FS but haven't used it myself.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I just want to say how much of a monumental pain in the rear end emulationstation is. If you follow the scripts it's pretty easy to install all the emulators and what not (using retropie) but emulationstation looks like crap and instead of just using file names for box art you have to put an entry for every game in an XML file, or rely on ES-Scraper, which scraped Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3 as Super Mario Bros. (so it repeats in the menu three times).

Looks like I was a little ambitious and I'll need to just load 3-4 good games and manually edit the XML files.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions on Building a case?

I don't want to buy one, but i'm not that experienced in wood working, soldering or that kind of thing. I also will resort to legos if i have to, but i wanted to see if anyone else had any neat/semi-easy to learn ideas i could take/modify.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Cardboard?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1310

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Muffin Top posted:

Two weeks ago I ordered it from MCM Electronics at 35USD since during that time it looked like amazon was price gouging at 60USD which was ridiculous.

To be fair it's only fulfilled by Amazon - someone else is shipping Raspberries to Amazon's warehouse and reselling them for nearly twice the price. :(

I ordered one last Thursday night from MCM and it shipped this morning. Shipping was $15 after adding a case, breakout cable kit, and a few other small things. I also saved a few bucks using the promo code BCKTEN.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I ordered mine from Element recently and got it in about 20 days. I think it got here before the expected ship date.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BigT posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on Building a case?

If you buy from element 14 they ship in a box about the same size, so I just tore some slots on the side and ran the cables in the end and made a decent case out of of the box.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I'm thinking of picking up a Raspberry Pi as a media centre (for both SD and HD videos, as well as music) and retro game machine. Ideally I want to power it off the USB port in my TV, although given that I want to have a mouse/keyboard/wireless gamepad (assumedly via USB) hooked up to it I imagine I'd need to be buying a powered USB hub anyway, which I could run it off.

Are there any pitfalls that a lot of people fall into before I start buying whatever bits and bobs I'll need? I want to get everything I need in one go (including whichever build of RaspBMX/Xbian) so I wanna be prepared. Do only certain PC games work, is there a specific XBMC for the RPi that works better for this than others, etc? It would be very handy for me to be able to run it wirelessly as my PC is using the only available ethernet port in that corner of the room, so I'll need a USB wifi thingie too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

[...]Do only certain PC games work, is there a specific XBMC for the RPi that works better for this than others, etc? [...]

You know its an ARM-based system, usually running Linux, so you won't be running x86 Windows games, right?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I've got an order placed for a Rasberry Pi and a 10" LCD LVDS bundle to start building a carputer project. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go with GPS software/hardware? A bit of googling shows some projects out there, but I'm looking to narrow it down with first had experience.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Are there any pitfalls that a lot of people fall into before I start buying whatever bits and bobs I'll need? I want to get everything I need in one go (including whichever build of RaspBMX/Xbian) so I wanna be prepared. Do only certain PC games work, is there a specific XBMC for the RPi that works better for this than others, etc? It would be very handy for me to be able to run it wirelessly as my PC is using the only available ethernet port in that corner of the room, so I'll need a USB wifi thingie too.

You need a power adapter, an SD card, HDMI cable, a case (if you're not going to use the box they ship in), a remote (if not using your phone), and an ethernet cable and probably should use a thumb drive too. Honestly at $45 with shipping it's not a great deal unless you have literally everything listed spare.

There are plenty of companies selling android sticks for the same price that run wireless and don't require a thing. Raspberry PI is a fun toy, I'm happy enough to use it to play Video I have on network shares, but it's a whole lot of work.

Earlier in the thread we talk at length about RMBC menus being slow when installed without a thumb drive (although good enough for me), and some others working better.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ edit: Thanks for the list! I had most of those in the shopping cart except for the ethernet cable, since I was planning on picking up the USB wifi thing. I hadn't heard about those Android sticks - looks like I have a little bit more research to do!

eddiewalker posted:

You know its an ARM-based system, usually running Linux, so you won't be running x86 Windows games, right?
Whoops, meant to type PC gamepads!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 17, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I would suggest using Openelec however instead of Raspbmc. It seem to run quite nicely for me and the team working on it actually know how XBMC works (I think a dev was part of the XBMC team or something?)

I however experience some glitch sometimes I think. Like yesterday we were watching a serie and for 3/4 of the it everything was fine but then at 10min from the end the playback stopped for some reason and seemed paused. I had to forward/backward a few times until playback resumed and everything was fine.
Sometimes I also have my usb keyboard that doesn't respond anymore :iiam:

The RPi is probably not a long term solution for me, while it plays most of the stuff I throw at it, I had some weird stuttering with some movies and like said before some glitches sometimes which I'm not really sure what is the cause of.

EDIT: What would be a good way to find out what is going on performances wise for my PI, I'm getting annoying stuttering and I don't know what is the cause. I guess it's cause I'm using wifi but I'd like to make sure.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 17, 2013

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Thanks to a USB bluetooth dongle I'm able to connect a wiimote to my pi. I'm curious if there's anything like GlovePIE for Linux as I'd love to be able to use wiimotes and their attachments for emulation.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Looks like Raspbian has wmgui and libcwiid in its repositories, so you should be able to install those. Wmgui handles discovering the remotes and setting up keybinds, etc. It's been a loooooong time since I uesd either, so I can't guarantee how it'll work out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

^^^ edit: Thanks for the list! I had most of those in the shopping cart except for the ethernet cable, since I was planning on picking up the USB wifi thing. I hadn't heard about those Android sticks - looks like I have a little bit more research to do!

Oh and a usb keyboard is also good to have for secondary control/input. You can just leave it hooked up and never use it unless your other controller flips out. I used a spare rollup keyboard I'd won sometime from a contest and it works fine for the once a week I use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

My raspberry pi just shipped last week, and it looks like it's arriving within a few more days :woop: I originally bought it as a little dev box to try and learn python with. After skimming through this thread a bit though, I'm curious if I can learn more from it. Basically 80% of this thread I can't make any kind of sense out of and I wish to remedy that. What can I use the GPIO for? Are there any interesting educational materials based around the rpi yet?