Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Aatrek posted:

3840x1080 (1920x2).

Hehe, my bad I meant in physical dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
About 42". It's going to take me a few days to get used to it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
After wondering about it for some time and only turning up half baked answers, I'm hoping I can find a clear answer here. I've been using 2 Dell P2412H's for quite some time now, and I'm immensely satisfied with them. However, both have 2 downstream USB ports and I'm really curious for what I can use them in general. Is this mainly to transmit my screen to peripherals like camera's, or can I basically connect them to my TV and clone my screen?

edit: And before you'd rightly yell at me for not researching what they were before I bought them, I got them as a gift.

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 3, 2013

Toanek
Feb 21, 2008

It's a fiesta of personal triumph!
Hio, Im looking to get a second monitor and I'm thinking of going IPS. First, since I'm a crazy shootery gamer kinda person that likes super low input lag, is there any reason to believe the lag of the IPS would somehow transfer over to my current TN (like the video card doing some weird syncing stuff IDK how computers work)? Id only be playing games single screen on the TN.

Also, would the Asus vs229h-p be a good fit for me? I don't work with colours for a living, but I like to doodle around in photoshop and after effects sometimes when I'm bored plus I'd like the better viewing angles. Couple posts I found about it seem to say its not great for IPS but itd still be better than TN. Looking for <$200, <=23", & 1920x1080. I'd rather go TN than increase budget I think.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Batham posted:

After wondering about it for some time and only turning up half baked answers, I'm hoping I can find a clear answer here. I've been using 2 Dell P2412H's for quite some time now, and I'm immensely satisfied with them. However, both have 2 downstream USB ports and I'm really curious for what I can use them in general. Is this mainly to transmit my screen to peripherals like camera's, or can I basically connect them to my TV and clone my screen?

edit: And before you'd rightly yell at me for not researching what they were before I bought them, I got them as a gift.

It means you plug poo poo like mouse, keyboard, memory sticks into them, and then the upstream port goes to the PC.

It's a hub. It's a USB hub.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Factory Factory posted:

It means you plug poo poo like mouse, keyboard, memory sticks into them, and then the upstream port goes to the PC.

It's a hub. It's a USB hub.
:downs: Sweet, thanks for the info dude! Immediately got rid of my cables hanging on the front of my pc.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I want to get a third display for each of my two desktops. They both have identical video cards (ATI 5850 - HDMI/DVI-I/DisplayPort) that currently have HDMI going to TVs, and DVI going to existing displays. It looks like I would need an active adapter due to the weirdness of the video card, so it feels like I'm either paying a shitton for an active adapter, or a higher-class display that utilizes DisplayPort. It just seems like I'm screwed either way and I shouldn't have chosen this video card to begin with.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tatsujin posted:

I want to get a third display for each of my two desktops. They both have identical video cards (ATI 5850 - HDMI/DVI-I/DisplayPort) that currently have HDMI going to TVs, and DVI going to existing displays. It looks like I would need an active adapter due to the weirdness of the video card, so it feels like I'm either paying a shitton for an active adapter, or a higher-class display that utilizes DisplayPort. It just seems like I'm screwed either way and I shouldn't have chosen this video card to begin with.

Wrong. The video card is fine. There aren't many cards that do 3x dvi/HDMI natively (those that do are very expensive).

And a Dell U2312 which has displayport is less than 200 bucks.

Get the Dell.

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.

Tatsujin posted:

I don't know your budget, but I don't think $16.99 is a "shitton" of money for an active DisplayPort adapter.

As far as I know, almost all graphic cards with support for more than two monitors have two DVI, one HDMI (which can't be used at the same time as one of the DVI:s), and one (or several) (Mini-)DisplayPort.
There were talk that newer graphic cards would support DisplayPort -> DVI with passive adapters, but I've never followed the development on that.

I'd say, go with the adapter or get a monitor with DisplayPort connectivity, they aren't necessarily expensive nowadays.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Sorry, I was only seeing the active DVI-D adatpers, not the VGA ones. Also, I'm really not seeing any U2312HM's for under $240 right now, but I can wait for a price drop of some sort.

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.

Tatsujin posted:

Sorry, I was only seeing the active DVI-D adatpers, not the VGA ones. Also, I'm really not seeing any U2312HM's for under $240 right now, but I can wait for a price drop of some sort.

These three all cost $16.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226059
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226060
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226058

I don't know if these are any good though, the ratings sure are mixed.
I use these, mostly because they're the cheapest you can find here in Sweden:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Tatsujin posted:

I called Dell directly and got two for $224.99 each last week, with free shipping. You might have better luck if you try that.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 4, 2013

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I did find some useful stuff on the whole adapter thing

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Basically, an active adapter is required to drive a 3rd display regardless of the interface, and you need DVI-D dual-link active display to drive a display greater than 1920x1200

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
If the desktops have on-chip graphics like ivy bridge and sandy bridge the easiest solution is to run one of the monitors on that. That's what I do anyway.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So what's the consensus on having two different sized monitors? I currently have a 21.5 or 22inch Viewsonic monitor (running 1080p) and I'm looking to get a 23 or 24inch (probably 23) Ultrasharp, will I be really annoyed by the size difference of the two? They'll most likely be side by side, so I'm not really sure if it will be an issue...Does anyone have any mismashed monitors and hate it/love it?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guni posted:

So what's the consensus on having two different sized monitors? I currently have a 21.5 or 22inch Viewsonic monitor (running 1080p) and I'm looking to get a 23 or 24inch (probably 23) Ultrasharp, will I be really annoyed by the size difference of the two? They'll most likely be side by side, so I'm not really sure if it will be an issue...Does anyone have any mismashed monitors and hate it/love it?

side by side centered is terrible, you have a big seam in the middle where the monitors touch. 3 is the magic number or one centered, one off to the side.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
I will only be gaming on one monitor, the other one will be relegated to things such as Facebook, emails, SA and the like. Does this change anything or will it still be terrible?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Guni posted:

I will only be gaming on one monitor, the other one will be relegated to things such as Facebook, emails, SA and the like. Does this change anything or will it still be terrible?

Two similarly sized monitors next to each other is fine. I did it that way for years.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, that's how I have my setup. I can't think of anything I do that spans both monitors at once - these are both U2312HMs.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Two similarly sized monitors next to each other is fine. I did it that way for years.

Awesome! I think it'll be fine too - I was just making sure that it won't be insufferable or something. Now to wait for a good deal on a U2312HM or U2412HM

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.
Personally, I prefer to always have one centered, even if I only have two monitors. I don't like the feeling of looking to the side all the time and I'm sure my neck agrees with me. :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I would hate to have the seam at my front and center, have always done a straight, centered monitor with an angled secondary monitor.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Guni posted:

Awesome! I think it'll be fine too - I was just making sure that it won't be insufferable or something. Now to wait for a good deal on a U2312HM or U2412HM

Do you consider this a good deal? Just came across it. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...2412m&cp=1&lp=1

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Dr. Lenin posted:

Do you consider this a good deal? Just came across it. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...2412m&cp=1&lp=1

That would be exactly what I'd want..If I didn't live in Australia! Thanks for the deal though, appreciate it! I have often seen the U2412 go down to like $270-$300 (usually $369 or so), it's always when you don't have money that the good deals are on :(. Also, out of curiosity, what exactly does one mean by centering one monitor? Do you have one in the middle and one off to the side?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
I've got a new MacBook Pro (Retina) and would love a pair of new thunderbolt monitors for it in my home setup, however I don't really want to pay $1200 (in Australia) for a Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Any got any ideas when we can expect to see non-Apple thunderbolt monitors on the market?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Can't you just run one DisplayPort display off each Thunderbolt port?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
I could, however I'm developing a live music project using the laptop and eventually would like to integrate a 3rd screen (1 for Traktor, 1 for Resolume and the projector for the output of Resolume). That and if I want to add any more monitors down the track, I know I can daisy-chain them.

tldr: I like things being future-proof where possible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I can see where you're coming from, but you could run the projector off the HDMI port (presumably its not especially high resolution).

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.
DisplayPort 1.2 also support daisy-chaining. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how it works, if there are adapters or if you need a display with two DP:s...

EDIT: Here we go: http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/04/26/displayport-1-2-%E2%80%93-the-future-of-displays-and-what-you-might-be-missing-out-on/

EDIT 2: This display from Dell support daisy-chaining: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=225-4148

Still quite pricey though.

xevz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 6, 2013

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
Thanks Xevez!

I remember seeing an article about an ASUS thunderbolt monitor in June around when the Apple one launched, however it's still not to be seen anywhere on the market...

I can still hold out a little while, so I might wait and see what launched in Q2 this year.

edit: Here's that link http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/7/3071615/asus-demosthunderbolt-display-padfone-docking-monitor-at-computex

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.
I just realized something and looked it up...

According to Wikipedia, Thunderbolt does not support DisplayPort 1.2, only DisplayPort 1.1a, making your only alternative a Thunderbolt display if you want more than two displays. :(

But according to the Intel specifications of Thunderbolt it seem to support daisy-chaining of DisplayPort displays...
I guess it's a matter of interpretation. :(

quote:

Users can add high-performance
features to their PC over a cable, daisy chaining one after
another, up to a total of 6 devices, including up to 2 highresolution DisplayPort v1.1a displays.

xevz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 6, 2013

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Having trouble deciding between a TV and using it as a TV/monitor or a nice big monitor. I already have a computer monitor, so this would be my main screen and my current would move to secondary screen.

I read the OP, but does anyone have any personal opinions on this, which they prefer and why?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kiresays posted:

Having trouble deciding between a TV and using it as a TV/monitor or a nice big monitor. I already have a computer monitor, so this would be my main screen and my current would move to secondary screen.

I read the OP, but does anyone have any personal opinions on this, which they prefer and why?

Apart from the crapshoot of TVs tending to fudge images a bit to reduce aliasing (and many sets not allowing the user to disable it) and never getting the colors quite right when using a TV as a monitor and vice-versa?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

xevz posted:

I just realized something and looked it up...

According to Wikipedia, Thunderbolt does not support DisplayPort 1.2, only DisplayPort 1.1a, making your only alternative a Thunderbolt display if you want more than two displays. :(

But according to the Intel specifications of Thunderbolt it seem to support daisy-chaining of DisplayPort displays...
I guess it's a matter of interpretation. :(
The Thunderbolt spec does but unfortunately the Thunderbolt controller in the Apple Thunderbolt Display doesn't support directly daisy chaining a monitor connected via mini-DisplayPort so you can't go PC->Thunderbolt Display->mini-DisplayPort monitor. I say directly because if you put another Thunderbolt device in the chain between the Thunderbolt Display and the mini-DisplayPort monitor like one of the Thunderbolt disk arrays that are available it works fine. If Belkin ever come out with their Thunderbolt dock (and ignoring the fact it has a DVI port on it), you'd be able to throw that in the chain and hook another mini-DP monitor into the Thunderbolt port on the dock and have it work.

I think I read in Intel's specs that Thunderbolt can only drive two monitors per port (depends on the video card as well) and that any mini-DisplayPort devices need to be at the end of the Thunderbolt chain.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

kiresays posted:

Problem with using a monitor as a TV: Probably not able to display at 24hz

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kiresays posted:

I used a 32" Samsung tv for a monitor for a long. For everyone voting against I wonder how many of them have actually done it and how many are just echoing what they've heard. I know with my tv I had to turn sharpness all the way down to get the text to stop looking messed up. But a 32" screen at 1080p looked fine even from just a few feet away, you have to get a pretty big TV and be pretty close before you start to see pixels in my experience. I have Ultrasharp u2412m monitors that I'm selling, and could tell no difference in color between them and my TV. Having built-in speakers, a remote to turn the tv on or off, and all the different inputs was nice.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Problem with using a monitor as a TV: Probably not able to display at 24hz

Aren't most TVs 60hz as well? A 120hz TV could play 24hz video by displaying every frame for 5 cycles, but 24hz doesn't divide 60 evenly.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty much every modern 1080p TV should have 1080p/24 support, regardless of it's standard hz. I don't think I've ever seen a monitor that can do it, which is pretty lovely for watching movies.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kiresays posted:

I know I already answered once but I just packed up my two 24" monitors and have moved back to my 32" tv for now until I get another monitor. After being on a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor and now going to a 32" 1080p tv, the tv is stupid big. I used this as my one and only display for several years, but drat its big. I think I'm going to go a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and see how that works for me. The only reason I moved away from this tv in the first place was running out of room on screen when multitasking. However, I'm sitting at 26" inches away from the tv and it does really fill up my vision. When playing games, especially racing games, its awesome. FPS's are nice too, and since 1080p isn't that much resolution to push, I never had to have a super nice video card for my setup either.

I say try it out for a while. Especially if you can set the monitor 30" away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
What's the best way to search for dead pixels on an IPS monitor? Just toss up a full screen pure white image and look really closely?