Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

So if anyone could skim through it and let me know of any that are on Android now
Avengers Initiative
Battle Cats
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (should be out within the next couple of months)
Beat Hazard Ultra
Heroes Of Order & Chaos
I Love Katamari
Pitfall! (2012 Remake)
Puzzle & Dragons
Sonic Jump
Super Monkey Ball 2
You Don't Know Jack (should be out this month)

I can tell you these are available for Android right now (unless otherwise noted). Just a quick skim though, I'm sure I missed some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

Battle Cats felt like a (n awesome) ripoff of Cartoon Wars

Yeah, everyone's having an orgasm over Battle Cats, but all I can think is "wait I played this already" in Cartoon Wars.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Deep Winter posted:

Yeah, everyone's having an orgasm over Battle Cats, but all I can think is "wait I played this already" in Cartoon Wars.

The big difference is presentation; I uninstalled Cartoon Wars about five minutes after I got it, but Battle Cats has some of the same intense manic flavor that the original Monsters Ate My Condo had. The :wtc: factor is also much more interesting. Also, it's a polished game, whereas Cartoon Wars is pretty rough all around.

Speaking of which, why is the new MAMC the same game but crappy? Played side by side, the new one has a fat dose of dull.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

You're pretty much the only person I've seen that has that opinion about Waking Mars.

It looks like it's a cool game and I bet it's pretty fun on a computer, but it sucks with the "poke to jetpack" touchscreen controls. I also ran into enough bullshit physics, where the character would die from short falls or getting hung up on invisible objects (while surviving much bigger falls), that it wasn't fun. Did the recent Humble Bundle that that was in include a license for the PC version? That's where I got it. I want to like it. :ohdear:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 6, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Splizwarf posted:

The big difference is presentation; I uninstalled Cartoon Wars about five minutes after I got it, but Battle Cats has some of the same intense manic flavor that the original Monsters Ate My Condo had. The :wtc: factor is also much more interesting. It's a polished game, whereas Cartoon Wars is pretty rough all around.

Speaking of which, why is the new MAMC the same game but crappy? Played side by side, the new one has a fat dose of dull.

You mean SMAMC? I think the idea is to have a Freemium version as well as the paid version. So that might be why.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Artless Meat posted:

[Majesty] looks fine on my GS3.

What the gently caress, then why is it all zoomed out and tiny on mine :mad:

There's no options menu, so it's not like I can tweak anything there. To google I guess :sigh:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

ChocNitty posted:

I'm compiling a list of iOS exclusive apps for a website, and I suspect there are a few apps on the list that have since been released for Android, but i'm not sure since I currently don't have an Android device. So if anyone could skim through it and let me know of any that are on Android now and let me know, i'd appreciate it. Unless there is some fast and easy way to check for all of them.

Nice covert troll. Didn't you post this list in YOSPOS only not under a cover name?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Splizwarf posted:

It looks like it's a cool game and I bet it's pretty fun on a computer, but it sucks with the "poke to jetpack" touchscreen controls. I also ran into enough bullshit physics, where the character would die from short falls or getting hung up on invisible objects (while surviving much bigger falls), that it wasn't fun. Did the recent Humble Bundle that that was in include a license for the PC version? That's where I got it. I want to like it. :ohdear:

Yes. All Humble Bundles (afaik) include Steam keys if they're available and direct downloads from their site. Waking Mars specifically was added to Steam fairly recently.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

victrix posted:

There's no options menu, so it's not like I can tweak anything there. To google I guess :sigh:

Might just be that you two have different font sizes set. The stock S3 has 5 different sizes under Settings -> Accessibility -> Vision. It'd be weird for that to be the problem, but hey, Android.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

You mean SMAMC? I think the idea is to have a Freemium version as well as the paid version. So that might be why.

You guys are high as hell.

I bought the old one but have spent a ridiculous amount of time with the new one instead. The challenges really up the stakes and give you something to drive for. The time limit really makes you work quickly and hone your strategy. SMAMC is amazing. The in app purchases are completely unnecessary for progression. Keep playing, you'll unlock cats and all kinds of poo poo.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What's to be said about jobs in Dungeon Village? I have a few questions, probably especially because I've never played any JRPGs that had the system.

How many jobs can you go through? Can you go back to a job, and are there benefits from past jobs? I saw something mentioned about "mastering" a job, does that mean getting to max level? As for the jobs themselves, a few seem to benefit the town rather than the adventurer. Merchant raises prices, while adventurer raises taxes, for example. Is that for the adventurer in question, or for the town itself? If the latter, do the effects stack?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I wanna thank this thread for bringing Dungelot to my attention. This game is addictive as hell and totally worth the money.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Project1 posted:

What's to be said about jobs in Dungeon Village? I have a few questions, probably especially because I've never played any JRPGs that had the system.

How many jobs can you go through? Can you go back to a job, and are there benefits from past jobs? I saw something mentioned about "mastering" a job, does that mean getting to max level? As for the jobs themselves, a few seem to benefit the town rather than the adventurer. Merchant raises prices, while adventurer raises taxes, for example. Is that for the adventurer in question, or for the town itself? If the latter, do the effects stack?
There are around 20 jobs, though some are gender-specific, and you can go through all the available jobs if you wanted to. The later jobs (especially the ultimate ones) vastly outclass the earlier ones. Getting a job to max level (10) gives that adventurer a permanent increase, though it's not huge, so you'll probably only want to go back to master earlier ones if you're a completionist. Not sure about job effects, they didn't seem important enough to warrant picking a class versus their combat abilities.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Project1 posted:

You can switch people's jobs as much as you want as long as a) that guy has a house and b) you've mastered (reached level 10) in the job you want to switch them to.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Witchfinder General posted:

I wanna thank this thread for bringing Dungelot to my attention. This game is addictive as hell and totally worth the money.

I can't seem to keep my health up. I'm not finding potions or anything. Is there something I'm missing?

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

me your dad posted:

I can't seem to keep my health up. I'm not finding potions or anything. Is there something I'm missing?

You don't have to fight every monster. If you discover one keep moving on. They only attack you if you attack them (with the exception of ranged attackers). It sort of becomes a minesweeper situation where you locate enemies and only fight the ones you have to in order to uncover the most tiles possible. If you're short on hearts you can also convert magic items to health, but it's usually not much.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

JesusDoesVegas posted:

You don't have to fight every monster. If you discover one keep moving on. They only attack you if you attack them (with the exception of ranged attackers). It sort of becomes a minesweeper situation where you locate enemies and only fight the ones you have to in order to uncover the most tiles possible. If you're short on hearts you can also convert magic items to health, but it's usually not much.
Yeah, definitely don't feel the need to kill every enemy if you don't have to. The bonuses for clearing the level haven't seemed too worth it, though I have no idea how well they scale as I don't think I've bothered after the first couple dungeons. If there are any quests, though, you should definitely do them.

A lot of health/sword upgrades seem to really be luck of the draw. My first few games I didn't find a single sword until the 8th level and it made things really tough, but then the second I had enough money to do the stat upgrade for the paladin I had a run where I found two swords in the first three levels as well as a shop and I blazed through the next 20 or so levels one or two-shotting everything.

that too VV

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

me your dad posted:

You are meant to die. Your money carries over, allowing you to get a better start via upgrades.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Never ever buy health from a shop. All it will do is get lost in a single hit and drive up the price of the attack boost, which you need to buy as much of as possible.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
One pointer is to make sure you're carefully using your spells. Since they have a direct health cash-in value, you can easily determine whether it's worth using a spell to defeat a given monster. If using a spell will let you defeat a monster while taking 2 less damage, but you could instead defeat the monster without the spell, and then cash the spell in for 4 health, then don't use the spell. However, the health cash-in value for spells increases as you get deeper, so you have to keep that in mind, as well. Basically, you should never use a spell unless you're going to reduce your damage by at least 4.

Witchfinder General posted:

Yeah, definitely don't feel the need to kill every enemy if you don't have to. The bonuses for clearing the level haven't seemed too worth it, though I have no idea how well they scale as I don't think I've bothered after the first couple dungeons.

They scale pretty decently and get up to around 5-10 health fairly early. But then they could also just give you a cash prize of the same number, but cash isn't worth as much as health. They aren't always worth it, but sometimes are. For instance, if there are only two easy monsters left, and they're both blocking tiles, and there's a "explore the entire floor" or "kill all monsters" quest door, then that's a great deal.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Don't be like me in Dungelot...

Edit : I have negative 19000 gold because when you open the shop in the dungeon it doesnt stop you from purchasing things right when the dialog opens. This allowed me to get over 200 health and 50 attack+ but at a hefty cost. I didn't even make it to floor 25

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 7, 2013

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

victrix posted:

Its been a while since I played it, but its either pinch-to-zoom, or there's a +/- icon on the screen somewhere.

Edit: I just reinstalled it, apparently I was wrong, and the only thing you can zoom is the map.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 7, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I guess this is the right place to ask, but can someone vouch for how well a ps1 emulator will work on a GS3? I'll probably upgrade my phone within the next 2 weeks and I'm leaning towards sticking with android and getting a GS3, partly because I enjoy having emulators available. I legitimately do still have a big collection of ps1 games because I never got rid of any of them but I can't use them with my current systems, so being able to emulate on my phone when I'm mobile and hook it up to my TV when I'm at home sounds very appealing. Same for Nexus 7 too, I've been looking at those lately.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Its been a while since I played it, but its either pinch-to-zoom, or there's a +/- icon on the screen somewhere.

Edit: I just reinstalled it, apparently I was wrong, and the only thing you can zoom is the map.

Yeah mine does not look like that, lemme see if I can get a screenshot. It's almost totally unreadable/playable.

edit: Nevermind, no way to do that, the screenshot comes out looking fine. It looks like it's somehow running in too high of a res on my phone, so stuff like the hero/building/gold count is about two pixels high from my perspective. I wish it looked like that screen :(

victrix fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 7, 2013

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
Dungelot is awesome! Furthest I've gone is floor 32 with a maxed paladin, and only because I got lucky and picked up 4 sets of armour (-1 to enemy attack) and a compass so I could see which tile had the key. The only spells worth using are polymorph and freeze, convert all the others for hp.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Suck-A-Sage posted:

Dungelot is awesome! Furthest I've gone is floor 32 with a maxed paladin, and only because I got lucky and picked up 4 sets of armour (-1 to enemy attack) and a compass so I could see which tile had the key. The only spells worth using are polymorph and freeze, convert all the others for hp.

Attack first can be a pretty nice item too for avoiding damage, or if you have your Manual skill maxxed out does the initiative bonus mean you always attack first anyway?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a lot of fun with Dungelot though I do have a couple of gripes with it. The floor you can reach is extremely dependent upon how far you got on the previous attempt, since reaching your corpse suddenly gives you a whole bunch of health. I think the reward also scales with the level that you find it on, so having your corpse show up just as you are about to die is a huge bonus. I tend to go in cycles of reaching my corpse and getting further, then next time not reaching that corpse and losing earlier, and repeat.

The difficulty level also doesn't ramp very evenly. I generally get to level 15-20 without really losing any health and then five floors later I'm dead. The early game gets a bit repetitive after you've done it a few times to the extent that wildly mashing your finger all over the screen and cashing in spells for HP when your inventory is full gives almost identical results to playing "properly".

It's a nicely made game though and for 69p or whatever I really can't argue with the amount of entertainment it provides. And I've not played as anything but than the Paladin so far.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I guess this is the right place to ask, but can someone vouch for how well a ps1 emulator will work on a GS3? I'll probably upgrade my phone within the next 2 weeks and I'm leaning towards sticking with android and getting a GS3, partly because I enjoy having emulators available. I legitimately do still have a big collection of ps1 games because I never got rid of any of them but I can't use them with my current systems, so being able to emulate on my phone when I'm mobile and hook it up to my TV when I'm at home sounds very appealing. Same for Nexus 7 too, I've been looking at those lately.

It works really well. I'd recommend getting a controller for it if you want to play anything other than RPGs though, resident evil games are a nightmare even with abuse of the save state function.

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Attack first can be a pretty nice item too for avoiding damage, or if you have your Manual skill maxxed out does the initiative bonus mean you always attack first anyway?

I find it's only useful in the earlier levels, when you have sufficient attack to 1-hit kill the mobs with low hp. But those mobs may only be hitting you for 1-2 damage, in which case you may opt to take the hit and save the spell for when you go deeper and the hp conversion rate is higher.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Suck-A-Sage posted:

I find it's only useful in the earlier levels, when you have sufficient attack to 1-hit kill the mobs with low hp. But those mobs may only be hitting you for 1-2 damage, in which case you may opt to take the hit and save the spell for when you go deeper and the hp conversion rate is higher.

I haven't been near as deep as you, I've just been splurging all of my cash into attack the first shop I find so I've been pretty solid on one hitting mobs most of the time, except slimes and zombies which seem to pack a bit extra.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Looks like Nvidia read my mind, they are releasing an Android handheld game system. It has a 5-inch multi-touch screen and a controller rubber banded to the bottom of it. It will be very exciting reading the "failed consoles of 2013" articles in a few years.

http://theverge.com/2013/1/7/3845282/nvidia-announces-project-shield-handheld-gaming-system

Comes out in Q2 of this year. I hope it does not fail.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Yaos posted:

Looks like Nvidia read my mind, they are releasing an Android handheld game system. It has a 5-inch multi-touch screen and a controller rubber banded to the bottom of it. It will be very exciting reading the "failed consoles of 2013" articles in a few years.

http://theverge.com/2013/1/7/3845282/nvidia-announces-project-shield-handheld-gaming-system

Looks like a failed console of right now honestly. It's already not very portable, because nobody wants to walk around holding what is essentially and xbox controller with a screen strapped to it. And their main selling point seems to be that you can use it to play games on your pc over a network. I can already do that without their bulky handheld thing.

So that just leaves android games really, which pretty much none of them can use that kind of power.

I'm just not sure they thought this one out very well. It seems to fail to do anything that can't already be done without buying their "console".

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

It is cool when a nerd clips a Playstation controller to a phone but when nvidia makes an honest jab at mobile gaming...

The controller looks a little bit ugly and uncomfortable but otherwise I would like to see where they go with it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Turns out handhelds like this already exist, the only problem is the manufactures never bothered to tell anybody.

http://www.wikipad.com . The wikipad is a stupid name, ensuring as much confusion as possible for the consumer. It uses detachable controllers so they could have just released the controller as a stand alone device that can be attached to different devices, but I guess designing a tablet was easier. The design looks good, kind of sucks you have to buy an entire tablet for it.

http://www.archos.com/products/gamepad/index.html?country=us&lang=en&p=3#a . The Archos Gamepad also has a stupid name as the name says it is just a gamepad and not a tablet. It also uses the PSP analog nubs. :mad: It comes with software that lets you map the controller to on-screen controls. Again, could have been a separate controller but this one is part of the tablet.

Tablet makers have a real tough time naming their hardware. :(

Edit: I've read that the screen on the Nvidia handheld only goes as far back as they were showing at CES. At CES they were showing the screen at a 90 angle to the gamepad.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 7, 2013

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Flying Milton posted:

It is cool when a nerd clips a Playstation controller to a phone but when nvidia makes an honest jab at mobile gaming...

The controller looks a little bit ugly and uncomfortable but otherwise I would like to see where they go with it.

But if I leave the controller at home I still have a phone, is the thing.

I mean, I want to see where this is headed too, but it just doesn't seem to serve any real purpose to me. If I am going to carry that thing I may as well carry a laptop.

Yaos posted:

Turns out handhelds like this already exist, the only problem is the manufactures never bothered to tell anybody.

http://www.wikipad.com . The wikipad is a stupid name, ensuring as much confusion as possible for the consumer. It uses detachable controllers so they could have just released the controller as a stand alone device that can be attached to different devices, but I guess designing a tablet was easier. The design looks good, kind of sucks you have to buy an entire tablet for it.

http://www.archos.com/products/gamepad/index.html?country=us&lang=en&p=3#a . The Archos Gamepad also has a stupid name as the name says it is just a gamepad and not a tablet. It also uses the PSP analog nubs. :mad: It comes with software that lets you map the controller to on-screen controls. Again, could have been a separate controller but this one is part of the tablet.

Tablet makers have a real tough time naming their hardware. :(

Yeah, dealextreme is full of android gaming devices. Some of them actually look pretty cool.

On subject, are there any good tower defense games on android? I think I am angry birds'd out.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 7, 2013

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Yaos posted:

I've always wanted a next gen Sega Game Gear!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The wikipad layout looks interesting. If they released the controller halves that just clipped to the side of each tablet, it'd be a pretty decent idea for a lot cheaper.

Kickstarter anyone?

Ouya compatibility assured.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So is a credit card still the only way to purchase things on the play store? I've got a nexus 4 today and wouldn't mind some nice games.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
There are Google Play gift cards available in $10, $25, and $50 at various retailers.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The wikipad layout looks interesting. If they released the controller halves that just clipped to the side of each tablet, it'd be a pretty decent idea for a lot cheaper.

Kickstarter anyone?

Ouya compatibility assured.
After watching the video for it I can see why they have their own tablet, the controller is actually a cradle for the tablet so the controller does not put stress on the edges of the tablet. The biggest problem is marketing, I have never heard of this tablet before. It appears to have developer support with the pack-ins, but it could just be a gimmick. It could just be that we are too far from release for them to start marketing it. Too bad it can not have Tegra 4 graphics. :(

2nd biggest problem is the lack of physical controls on other devices. If it has a physical to virtual control mapping program like the Archos Gamepad that will help out a lot. That program is the biggest strength I can see for the Archos Gamepad. If we get a billion Android devices with physical controls that problem will sort itself out though.

Biggest problem in general is a lack of compelling games. I have played free flash games that have more content than games on Android. Developers need a way to charge higher prices for games so they can release games with lots of content and without ridiculous in app purchases. Right now going above the $10 mark seems to kill games. Consoles and PCs show there is a huge market for quality games but there is a lack of these games on Android and iOS.

I take back what I said about hoping the Nvidia device would not fail. I only said that because I was unaware of these other devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

KamikazeJim posted:

There are Google Play gift cards available in $10, $25, and $50 at various retailers.

Not available here. :( (Germany)

• Locked thread