Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I've never heard WW described as "incredibly realistic and grounded" though. It actually doesn't have a great grasp of real-world politics, but it has a fantastic grasp of the theatricality of politics which is all you should really ask for from a work of fiction. If you're interested in any way you'd be doing yourself a big disservice to write off the whole show because the guns aren't realistic enough.

Time Magazine (and Madeleine Albright) disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rhyno posted:

I agree, it's some of the worst written television I've ever watched and because of the girlfriend I have to watch it all the loving time.

This has The Cape level gold written all over it. (good luck surviving a whole episode)

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography was a well paced interesting documentary on Tony Hawks gang of friends. It made me hunt down the movies that they made.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just watched The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulu

I'd say give it a skip. It's closer in tone to something like Tucker and Dale vs Evil (which is good enough for a watch) so don't expect anything that takes the mythos seriously, not that I was, it's just a very cheap feeling movie. And not really so bad it's good. The two main leads are pretty boring though the neckbeard character is funny enough.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The new Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol just popped up. Heard it was pretty good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Medullah posted:

The new Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol just popped up. Heard it was pretty good.

Ghost Protocol has some really good action choreography and set pieces. Worth watching for that, even if the characterization is an exercise in retreading.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ghost Protocol is one of th emost fun action movies I've watched in a really long time. The plot is mostly forgettable but the movie is basically all action set pieces until the very end where all they have left to do is wrap up the plot in which point you might as well just turn off the movie.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I'm watching Ghost Protocol now. I really enjoyed MI:III. This one doesn't seem as "big" as I remember III being, but it has been some years since I watched it so maybe I don't remember correctly.

Its still good though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm watching Ghost Protocol now. I really enjoyed MI:III. This one doesn't seem as "big" as I remember III being, but it has been some years since I watched it so maybe I don't remember correctly.

Its still good though.

That is what I thought too it made double what 3 did domestically.
Its Brad Bird's first live action movie. The plot is a weak, but he did a great job with it. I love this MI more then the others because it doesn't feel like Tom Cruise is the only competent agent. Oh that and the action and pacing is moves at a great click.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

If you guys have any taste or tolerance at all for modern dance, Wim Wender's 2011 dance film-cum-memorial Pina's up on Netflix. A tribute to noted German dance choreographer Pina Bausch, it alternates between excerpts of four of her Tantztheater company's major works, archival footage of Pina herself and talking-head interviews with her company members/dancers.*

* I say talking-head, but what I really mean is that the camera focuses on them sitting in front of it, while their testimonial about Pina plays in voiceover. This is often intercut with a one- or two-person dance moment, beautifully filmed somewhere around Wuppertal, Germany, the city their company is based in. These are my favorite parts of the film - wonderful, short, passionate and astonishing in their openness. I'd say check it out if you have any stomach for that sort of thing.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oh cool. Do you have any other favorite things you'd like to tell us about Oprah?

For actual content, Pumpkin starts streaming tomorrow. It's a fantastically dark comedy about a sorority girl who falls in love with a mentally challenged guy.

I just watched Pumpkin and it was pretty great. I I laughed pretty hard at the fakeout when they forget him at the beach, Kent's car accident, and that fight music! There was a lot of great use of overwrought dramatic music in general. For some reason I love that when they went to pick up Cici it suddenly acted like it was diagetic. who would be listening to that in their car?

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

That is what I thought too it made double what 3 did domestically.
Its Brad Bird's first live action movie. The plot is a weak, but he did a great job with it. I love this MI more then the others because it doesn't feel like Tom Cruise is the only competent agent. Oh that and the action and pacing is moves at a great click.

It was pretty good over all. Simon Pegg's character was a bit annoying at the start but they seemed to turn it down as the film went on.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Alan Smithee posted:

Just watched The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulu

I'd say give it a skip. It's closer in tone to something like Tucker and Dale vs Evil (which is good enough for a watch) so don't expect anything that takes the mythos seriously, not that I was, it's just a very cheap feeling movie. And not really so bad it's good. The two main leads are pretty boring though the neckbeard character is funny enough.

Yeah, I watched this about a year ago and it's really terrible. Pretty funny if you were drunk, I guess, but the main characters are awful. The old pirate / sailor guy is the only good part.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know how the ______ Movie movies don't have any actual jokes, they just reference something from a current movie and go "ha, that totally happened in that movie"? Iron Sky is like that only with Nazism instead of pop culture, every other "joke" is that something is shaped like a Swastika. It could have been a pretty entertaining movie if they had made some actual jokes instead of just assuming that the concept alone would be enough for non-stop laffs and it didn't have references that were dated before it even came out (Sarah Palin, the iPad).

Plus it has a downer ending that doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie at all.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The sets and environments in Iron Sky were amazing. The movie strangely enough dragged despite the concept. I think one of the reasons it might be a little weird is because its a Finnish movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cool. So an inaccuracy has never ruined a single scene in a movie or TV show for you? That's great, I applaud you for being able to go into auto-pilot at will. It must be a valuable survival skill for you.

Shut up.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is the story of two brothers and their mother who are all unhappy with their lives and struggling to change them. Jeff (Jason Segel) is a pothead living in his mother's (Susan Sarandon) basement. Pat (Ed Helms) is Jeff's moderately successful brother, and is riding his marriage into the ground. It's alternatively funny, sad, and sweet, with (what I thought was) a powerful ending.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

axleblaze posted:

Ghost Protocol is one of th emost fun action movies I've watched in a really long time. The plot is mostly forgettable but the movie is basically all action set pieces until the very end where all they have left to do is wrap up the plot in which point you might as well just turn off the movie.
Just watched this tonight. I didn't think it was great, but it was definitely fun if maybe a bit overlong.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

I don't think this contradicts me; it mostly focuses on West Wing-as-civics-lesson. It's great at describing policy and it's great at making esoteric policy interesting while getting it generally right but policy isn't politics. The politics of WW are pure fantasy. A good example is the Bartlet-Richie debate. Bartlet's performance is exciting and intelligent; it's written as a hero piece. But that performance in the real world would have buried him. He would come off as arrogant, pompous, and bullying and the media would flay him alive.

Medullah posted:

I saw this in IMAX and it's the first movie in years where I was literally gripping my seat from the tension. It's awesome, though like so many action movies these days it was about 20 minutes too long.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Once Upon a Time is amazing if you're into heavily Disney-inspired fairy tale soap operas. Which I am.

It's definitely not a show to be taken seriously. It's goofy and over the top and it knows it. It's the most fun I've had watching television in a long time.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Collects Welfare posted:

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is the story of two brothers and their mother who are all unhappy with their lives and struggling to change them. Jeff (Jason Segel) is a pothead living in his mother's (Susan Sarandon) basement. Pat (Ed Helms) is Jeff's moderately successful brother, and is riding his marriage into the ground. It's alternatively funny, sad, and sweet, with (what I thought was) a powerful ending.

Watched this today. I cannot remember a movie being so awkward in its depictions of basic human interaction that I literally had to look away. Like, it's a cool thing in a way because it was pretty realistic. I didn't feel like I was watching actors tell a story, I felt like I was watching horribly dysfunctional and broken people gently caress up their lives.

I'd say it's worth a watch.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Collects Welfare posted:

Just finished watching this. It was really sweet and amazing. I agree with the above poster in its family-strife realism, too. The whole thing just comes together at the end, and you walk away happy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Ghost Protocol is my favorite straight-up action movie. My favorite thing about it is how all of the super-fancy advanced and impossible IMF technology breaks down and stops working in every instance of its use. Even the mission delivery phone Tom Cruise gets his mission from in the beginning fails to self-destruct.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If I've never seen any of the Mission Impossible movies can I just jump in at any point of the series and enjoy it, or will I be totally lost?

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

Flippycunt posted:

If I've never seen any of the Mission Impossible movies can I just jump in at any point of the series and enjoy it, or will I be totally lost?

You can totally jump in, they're pretty self-contained. You could almost jump in mid-movie and be fine.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I suggest watching Mission Impossible 2 three or four times a day alternating with Hard Boiled and The Killer in-between them. Shut up little man was a fun study of neighbors from hell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Flippycunt posted:

Just watch Ghost Protocol, maybe M:I 3 if you want more after that. Ghost Protocol is seriously leagues above every other Mission: Impossible movie.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Red Lights was a blast. It was very atmospheric and engaging, and I don't understand why it sits below 30% on RT. It's about these two paranormal investigators, Sigorney Weaver the hardcore non-believer, and her partner Cillian Murphy. Their day job is teaching in their underfunded department (and fighting being pushed out by the paranormal research department), while their night job is to go around investigating and disproving paranormal claims.

Robert De Nero plays the bad guy Simon Silver, a great blind psychic who comes back into the limelight randomly after a 30 year absence. Cillian Murphy wants to investigate him badly but Sigorney Weaver is terrified of him...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Junkie Disease posted:

I suggest watching Mission Impossible 2 three or four times a day

Why do you hate people? :(

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

scary ghost dog posted:

Ghost Protocol is seriously leagues above every other Mission: Impossible movie.

100% on this. Thought the first three were just okay, but GP was genuinely inventive and engineered solely to entertain the audience without playing (too) dumb. I've seen a lot of action movies, and I love when one can show me something new. There were at least three or four scenes that accomplished that. I especially liked the hotel room exchange: terrifically suspenseful.

Of the new crop:

For Bond fans, I'd recommend Everything or Nothing: The Untold History of 007. It's a brand new and pretty terrific documentary about the evolution of the series, with the full participation of producers and talent involved. (Excepting Connery, naturally.) Pretty honest, too, about Connery's fallout with Cubby Broccoli, Dalton's "failure," etc. (I think he was just ahead of his time, since Craig is doing a similarly rougher Bond.) I'm sure there's dirt left out, but it was no whitewash, either. I wouldn't be surprised if it originated from the new DVD set.

The only goony thing was when the narration would expound on, say, Brosnan being gutted when he couldn't take the role in '86, and the film cuts to a scene of Brosnan-as-Bond passed out in a cockpit or something. A little on the nose, fellas.

If you like gee-whiz Americana, October Sky is a pretty well-done Joe Johnston vehicle about a teenager (Jake Gylenhaal) who aspires to get into NASA/rocketry even as his family pulls him into his father's coal mining business in West Virginia.

Also watched Hollywood Shuffle, Robert Townsend's send-up of black stereotypes in the industry. It's uneven, but the message is sound and you have to admire Townsend's sheer determination to get the movie made--maxing out credit cards and taking two years to fund the 17 shooting days he needed.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Holy poo poo. They actually put The Adventures of Mark Twain up.

If the concept of a surreal Claymation movie where Mark Twain and a few of his characters ride a futuristic airship to intercept Halley's comet, with stories and dialogue based upon Twain's writings, appeals to you even the slightest bit, then you need to watch it right now. Oh, and ignore the fact that some moron at Netflix decided that this movie is appropriate for small children, because it's most certainly not unless you really hate them and want to give them nightmare fuel.

Life itself is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you... are but a thought.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Workaholics is in the 3rd season, is there any reason season two isn't on Netflix? It's up there with Archer and Breaking Bad as far as Shows I Can't Wait to See On Netflix.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Shut up little man was a fun study of neighbors from hell.

That movie was waaaay too long. It was interesting for the first half hour, but then it got stale for me.

Edit: Axleblaze put it much better than I did.

Collects Welfare fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 6, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I hated Shut Up Little Man so much that it was almost interest. I basically just hated everyone involved in the movie so (except for the people on the tapes). Just a bunch of smug, awful indie types that made a living exploiting some messed up poor people. It's okay to laugh at these people's suffering though because they were loud and it was funny I guess. They were just some poor people anyways. If you read the political cartoons thread it was essentially Derf the movie. I just found it really hard to spend time with all these people. They were just such smug, self important jackasses. Literally the only part of the movie I found worth while is when they tracked down the people that were actually in the apartment and even then they spent more time showing reactions from awful people to this than they did actually showing it.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

axleblaze posted:

I hated Shut Up Little Man so much that it was almost interest. I basically just hated everyone involved in the movie so (except for the people on the tapes). Just a bunch of smug, awful indie types that made a living exploiting some messed up poor people. It's okay to laugh at these people's suffering though because they were loud and it was funny I guess. They were just some poor people anyways. If you read the political cartoons thread it was essentially Derf the movie. I just found it really hard to spend time with all these people. They were just such smug, self important jackasses. Literally the only part of the movie I found worth while is when they tracked down the people that were actually in the apartment and even then they spent more time showing reactions from awful people to this than they did actually showing it.

I felt this exact same way. One of the few movies I've started on netflix and stopped in the middle because it was crap. And I've watched a lot of crap on netflix.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I agree that the dickheads peddling the tapes are absolutely the villains of the story, but I think you're way downplaying just how obnoxious, inappropriate and antisocial the behavior of those neighbors was. They were complete derelicts and the very definition of bad neighbors. Having lived in some crap neighborhoods myself, I promise you'd be a lot less dewy-eyed about those creeps if you shared a wall with them.

That said, its a decent study of jerks of all walks of life acting like jerks, but its about twice as long as it needs to be. Winnebago Man is a better doc about the effects of viral videos and whatnot, plus Jack Rebny is likeable in a crabby granddad sort of way.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Just checked the Recently Added in the UK and there's a few gems.

Almost Famous is up which you should watch immediately if you haven't already.

Scent of a Woman which you should watch immediately after Almost Famous if you haven't already.

Also Office Space, Eternal Sunshine, The Untouchables, A Few Good Men, Cape Fear, Groundhog Day and the full first series of The Office (UK). :dance:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just wached V/H/S and it was...okay. Some of the stories were just terrible Like the slenderman style woods one the others were just meh. I think as far as 'found footage' goes, it's disappointing. I like Grave Encounters, Rec and Rec 2 more then this by a lot. Also never watch Graven Encounters 2 if it comes on netflix, it's garbage.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Who do I need to talk to to get the hour-and-change I just wasted on Iron Skies back? I feel like somewhere my evil twin was wringing his hands and laughing maniacally as he set the final production reel to print, knowing that I would one day suffer the terrible fate of having to watch this cinematic equivalent of a stale wet fart.

It is a bad movie is what I am trying to say.

V The ending made up for it in the sense that it stopped the film from continuing.

Revener fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ending makes up for it. But yeah. I was hoping for so terrible it's good but I don't even know. CGI was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Just wached V/H/S and it was...okay. Some of the stories were just terrible Like the slenderman style woods one the others were just meh. I think as far as 'found footage' goes, it's disappointing. I like Grave Encounters, Rec and Rec 2 more then this by a lot. Also never watch Graven Encounters 2 if it comes on netflix, it's garbage.

I also just watched it, and it was awesome. I love the found footage vibe, and I loved trying to piece together the different stories it tells.

• Locked thread