Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alhazred posted:

Well, maybe Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell did. For the rest of the people involved it was a pretty miserable affair.

Jane Levy, the main character in the new film, said in an interview that making this film was the worst experience of her life because of all the stuff they put her through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If it's the job of a trailer to get you interested in a film, call it successful. Whether or not it will actually be scary or good will be seen. I will say I haven't seen a recent gore film reach even the same level as the trailer. A lot of films are relying on cheap CGI blood which anyone can spot instantly. Practical effects still look great and are really effective in horror films.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now

Jedit posted:

Not a different take so much as a different style. The original Evil Dead was played straight, but it's still obvious that they were having fun making it. This remake is just po-faced by the numbers splatter flick #264. I've discussed the red band trailer before on other forums, and the near universal consensus was that it killed any desire anyone had to see the movie. I'm amazed it's getting a positive response here.

But what do your other forums say about this new redband trailer? :ohdear:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

muscles like this? posted:

The very first movie is more of a straight horror film, Evil Dead 2 (which is basically a remake of the first movie) is where they started adding slightly comedic elements to it. While Army of Darkness (which is the third movie and a direct sequel to Evil Dead 2) is just straight up silly.

It's not REALLY a remake though. Evil Dead II starts with a quick recap of the events of the first film, simply because Sam couldn't get the rights to footage from the first film to use as flashback.

I am a huge fan of the creepy loving ideas behind the first Evil Dead. The concept is scary as hell. The remake seems to be embracing it 100% and with the budget to do it. I am beyond excited.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bathhouse posted:

But what do your other forums say about this new redband trailer? :ohdear:

Oh, this is a new trailer?

*watches*

I can't speak for anyone else as my PC died and I don't have forum access, but my opinion hasn't changed at all. There wasn't a single thing in that trailer that was even remotely scary, and it didn't even manage to gross me out. The thus far perfect record of remakes of 70s/80s horror movies being irredeemable poo poo is in no danger of being sullied.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The first Evil Dead makes me kind of sick, but that's only because of Raimi's tendency to climb up his actors' noses.

The chick in this trailer is reminding me of the Exorcist's Regan. I'm hopeful for this!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jedit posted:

*watches*

I can't speak for anyone else as my PC died and I don't have forum access, but my opinion hasn't changed at all. There wasn't a single thing in that trailer that was even remotely scary, and it didn't even manage to gross me out. The thus far perfect record of remakes of 70s/80s horror movies being irredeemable poo poo is in no danger of being sullied.

Congratulations. Just because you don't find a woman slicing her own tongue in half, then snowballing it with another woman scary or disgusting doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't.
I mean like honestly, do you really think coming here and saying NOPE IT'S TOTALLY NOT SCARY, YOU'RE ALL JUST DUMB is a cool thing to do? It's not.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jedit posted:

*watches*

The trailer is cut by-the-numbers as you say, but the content speaks for itself. Looks like the same neighborhood as the original, or Stuart Gordon, or David Cronenberg, or Clive Barker, or John Carpenter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

Congratulations. Just because you don't find a woman slicing her own tongue in half, then snowballing it with another woman scary or disgusting doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't.
I mean like honestly, do you really think coming here and saying NOPE IT'S TOTALLY NOT SCARY, YOU'RE ALL JUST DUMB is a cool thing to do? It's not.

My problem is that I don't think that stuff's scary, just gross.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't say that, I just stated my opinion that this movie is not good. I've been freaked out by things far less gruesome than the tongue slicing scene before now, when they were done well. Admittedly it's not easy to build suspense in a two minute trailer, but these people just seem to be throwing as much blood at the wall as they can and seeing what sticks. The original movie did the same, of course, but it was made on the weekends by a bunch of amateurs with no money and lots of imagination. This is a professional studio production with lots of money and no imagination.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jedit posted:

I didn't say that, I just stated my opinion that this movie is not good. I've been freaked out by things far less gruesome than the tongue slicing scene before now, when they were done well. Admittedly it's not easy to build suspense in a two minute trailer, but these people just seem to be throwing as much blood at the wall as they can and seeing what sticks. The original movie did the same, of course, but it was made on the weekends by a bunch of amateurs with no money and lots of imagination. This is a professional studio production with lots of money and no imagination.

Your opinion that this movie is not good means less than nothing since you've not seen it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Your opinion that this movie is not good means less than nothing since you've not seen it.

I agree that we can only judge by what we've seen. But trailers usually include a representative sample where they don't just crowbar in all the best bits, and what's in that trailer isn't good. So either the best bits of this movie are bad, the movie in general is bad, or they made a trailer out of stuff cribbed from the original and they managed to do all of it worse. None of these possibilities bode well for the film's quality.

Could I be wrong? Of course. And even if I'm not there's no reason why you shouldn't go see it if you want and make up your own mind. But when we've seen remakes of Halloween, The Fog, Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, and many other classics of the period and each and every one of them has been an apocalyptic turd, and when the trailer for Evil Dead looks no better, I don't think it's unfair to presume.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jedit posted:

Could I be wrong? Of course. And even if I'm not there's no reason why you shouldn't go see it if you want and make up your own mind. But when we've seen remakes of Halloween, The Fog, Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, and many other classics of the period and each and every one of them has been an apocalyptic turd, and when the trailer for Evil Dead looks no better, I don't think it's unfair to presume.

Halloween, Halloween II, The Hills Have Eyes, (arguably)Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Friday the 13th, The Crazies = good horror remakes.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Deadpool posted:

It does make me wonder what they could possibly pull out that isn't in the trailer. Like those comedies that put all the best jokes in the preview and the rest of the film is filler.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LesterGroans posted:

(arguably)Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Friday the 13th, = good horror remakes.

Yes sir. They are indeed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LesterGroans posted:

The Last House on the Left = good horror remakes.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes sir. They are indeed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Last House on the Left, though I suppose it's carried on the shoulders of Tony Goldwyn, Monica Potter, and Garrett Dillahunt.

Wait, you guys are talking about the Dennis Iliadis film, right? Not the Wes Craven one (which remade The Virgin Spring)?

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Jedit posted:

But when we've seen remakes of Halloween, The Fog, Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, and many other classics of the period and each and every one of them has been an apocalyptic turd, and when the trailer for Evil Dead looks no better, I don't think it's unfair to presume.

Bypassing the argument some of those movies were worthwhile, the ED remake differs in one very significant way: the original director/producers are very hands-on and involved. They more or less own the concept and characters and don't appear to be willing to prostitute them: Raimi never allowed New Line to do Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash, for example, because he didn't want anyone loving with his stuff.

As much as I dislike remakes, I'd give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.
Ignore

ryan8723 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 6, 2013

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought the remake of "The Ring" was a lot better than the original. Like, a lot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zzulu posted:

I thought the remake of "The Ring" was a lot better than the original. Like, a lot.

That tends to happen when the original is insanely overhyped and incredibly mediocre.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deadpool posted:

That tends to happen when the original is insanely overhyped and incredibly mediocre.

Next week, on People With No Taste...

Seriously, Ringu has fallen foul of the large number of identikit J-Horror films that followed it. It doesn't feel as original now as it did ten years ago.

(It's also a movie that is much better watched on VHS than DVD, for obvious reasons. The first time I watched it the phone rang just as I stopped the tape. :ghost:)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The remake loses all subtlety that original had, everything have to be super scary and shocking. A good example is the death faces. In the original the victims looks like something bad happened to them but the remake makes it so over the top that it almost becomes funny:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The remake loses all subtlety that original had, everything have to be super scary and shocking. A good example is the death faces. In the original the victims looks like something bad happened to them but the remake makes it so over the top that it almost becomes funny:

Well, when you freeze frame it like that, yeah. In the remake it's edited in such a way that it looks like something really horrible happened to the characters, but you don't get a good enough look to judge for yourself and are left with a fleeting glimpse of someone's scary death face.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Alhazred posted:

The left image looks like a dude making a funny face. The right image looks like someone was legitimately drained of his lifeforce in a violent way.

Hey, look what Slashfilm found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nmf_-OnBE

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

The left image looks like a dude making a funny face. The right image looks like someone was legitimately drained of his lifeforce in a violent way.

Hey, look what Slashfilm found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nmf_-OnBE

I know Refn said the Driver would return in a future film but I see this movie has been in production since Drive was in post-production. Between this, Gangster Squad, and The Place Beyond the Pines he's setting himself up as the go-to guy for a troubled anti-hero role.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Well, when you freeze frame it like that, yeah. In the remake it's edited in such a way that it looks like something really horrible happened to the characters, but you don't get a good enough look to judge for yourself and are left with a fleeting glimpse of someone's scary death face.
That's the thing though, it isn't just a quick glimpse. It's like the movie doesn't trust the audience to understand that the movie is supposed to be scary so they ramp everything the gently caress up to get the point across.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alhazred posted:

That's the thing though, it isn't just a quick glimpse. It's like the movie doesn't trust the audience to understand that the movie is supposed to be scary so they ramp everything the gently caress up to get the point across.

Is understanding that something is supposed to be scary like understanding that something is supposed to be funny?

Cause either it makes you laugh or it doesn't.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

al-azad posted:

I have no idea how they pulled off that "through the car windshield" shot in Evil Dead 2. Apparently the final shot in the first movie was done with Raimi on a motorcycle as he actually drove through the house but the opening shot of ED2 was straight through a car and everything with no cuts.

The fog hides a cut inside the car. Notice how it jumps to the hood pretty fast.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

I distinctly remember a good portion of the audience actually laughing at the moment when you're looking at the first girls body in the closet very early in the film and her head flops down. Just a seemingly huge wave of laughter. The way it happened you would have thought it was a purposeful gag and you were actually sitting through the parody version of the film if you had walked in moments before. It was just so perfectly on cue. There was no laughter at the other dead bodies though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't forget the horse falling off the boat with a huge CLONK noise. Everyone I know at least giggled at that scene.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Horses are hilarious, that's why.

Except in The Cell.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
New Pacific Rim Trailer from CES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewefDmy44tM

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

There's what, five seconds of new footage and zero words of new dialogue in here compared to the last one?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Trailer for Danny Boyle's new movie "Trance" which comes out in the UK in March. It looks very much like a Danny Boyle movie.

Speaking of Danny Boyle, the original teaser to "28 Days Later" is a thing of beauty if you've never seen it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
The Iceman starring Michael Shannon and Chris Evans. Looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6YE0xGCjo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

The Iceman starring Michael Shannon and Chris Evans. Looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6YE0xGCjo

I still don't really know what to make of this movie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still don't really know what to make of this movie.

Have you seen it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Have you seen it?

Nah, I mean of the trailers for it. I really want to see it, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The FULL TRAILER for Shane Carruth's Upstream Color.

What a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Looks like Carruth is the next Richard Kelly.

• Locked thread