Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The one with the frog icon (Awful SII Maxx) is based on the code from an old version of Awful and is not actively maintained or updated. There were pretty much only three reasons to use it:

1. Awful didn't have iPad support.
2. Awful didn't have iPhone 5 support.
3. You don't like any of the changes made to Awful in the past eight or nine months.

1 and 2 are not true anymore, and 3 is kind of a moot point now because both apps are broken and only regular Awful is likely to get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
The thread title kind of implies that the Maxx version is the current production version.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah I have no idea why the OP even bothers to link to MAXX. It was just a stopgap version, it's not like there's some need to be "diplomatic" and post both versions or something.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah I have no idea why the OP even bothers to link to MAXX. It was just a stopgap version, it's not like there's some need to be "diplomatic" and post both versions or something.

When I posted it, there was much chatter about switching to it because Awful was taking a wrong turn. As Awful has gotten better and better, you're right, there's no reason to link both. I've taken it out of the OP, and once I think of a suitable Apple pun, we'll get the thread title changed too.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Awful iPhone/iPad apps - The Forums Changed?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Awful iPhone/iPad apps - Getting this weird bug...

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Awful iPhone/iPad apps - Your #1 source for poo poo Posts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Awful iPhone/iPad app - No, it's never going to get fixed

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

pokeyman posted:

When I posted it, there was much chatter about switching to it because Awful was taking a wrong turn. As Awful has gotten better and better, you're right, there's no reason to link both. I've taken it out of the OP, and once I think of a suitable Apple pun, we'll get the thread title changed too.

You are legally required to include a pun in every long standing thread title.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

You are legally required to include a pun in every long standing thread title.

Well that gives me an out for the decidedly unpunny one I chose for now.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe it just behaves differently for me, but even though every thread is one page, when I click on it from bookmarks, I still get the new posts. I may have to scroll down, but they're there. And since you have to load the thread before you can post in it, it seems like people should be taking the time to read before they post.

But like I said, maybe it works better on my phone than it does for other people.

The way it seems to be working (for me at least) is you get one long page with some new posts at the bottom, but not all. If you go back out and back into the thread you get about another page's worth of new posts.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I have a bug to report regarding the Awful app.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I have a bug to report regarding the Awful app.

What bug have you found Pissflaps?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Thirteenth Step posted:

What bug have you found Pissflaps?

Well when I'm opening up threads it's only saying 'page one of one' which is strange because there's definitely more than one page and basically I can't use it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Well when I'm opening up threads it's only saying 'page one of one' which is strange because there's definitely more than one page and basically I can't use it.

Strange

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Did you try bringing the phone to the apple store?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No because I'm too shy. I'll just wait for an updated app/forum.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
You can try sending an email to tcook@apple.com

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Did you try turning it off and turning it on again?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Is there a way to hide the UI elements at the top and bottoms of the thread viewing window? Specifically, the elements that include the thread title and the page number.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Put it in a cup full of rice that will fix it

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

oi its pissflaps

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Is there a way to hide the UI elements at the top and bottoms of the thread viewing window? Specifically, the elements that include the thread title and the page number.

Nope. It's on the list, no idea when it'll happen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Nope. It's on the list, no idea when it'll happen.

Every older version of the app has this feature, BTW.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Getting the exact same thing. And reloading each forum now doesnt display thread tags and everything is blank now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cobra Commander posted:

Getting the exact same thing. And reloading each forum now doesnt display thread tags and everything is blank now.

Your iOS install has become corrupted. Do a full restore without resuming form a backup.

Awful iPhone/iPad apps - Page one of one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Every older version of the app has this feature, BTW.

I understand.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dutchbstrd posted:

You can try sending an email to tcook@apple.com

Or a tweet to samsunguk

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Inspect Your Gadgets > Awful iPhone / iPad apps - Page 1 of 1? You're holding it wrong.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cobra Commander posted:

It's nice not being the only one thankyou.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I have this issue w/ my iPad but on my iPhone if I try and view my bookmarks the app just quits and im back at the homescreen.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Go to settings in the app and turn off thread tags.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Fraction posted:

Go to settings in the app and turn off thread tags.

Well how about that.

The page thing is still there but I presume that'll be fixed w the update when it's finally approved.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I have a feeling this is related to everything else going on with the app right now, but just in case it's not: I'm having a lot of random crashes in the app. I was just trying to catch up on the general chat thread in Cinema Discusso and it crashed three different times while I was reading it. Like I said, I assume this is probably tied to it loading everything as a page and that maybe being too much for the app to handle, but just in case it's not, I thought I would post it here.

Also, what I've learned from this thread is that the App Store review process is insanely slow. It's got to be frustrating for you guys to have to wait forever for a fix that you guys worked so hard on your holidays to get done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just really bad timing.. the end of year shutdown of the review process creates an enormous backlog and they haven't quite caught up yet. Any other time of year and the fix would already be out.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's just really bad timing.. the end of year shutdown of the review process creates an enormous backlog and they haven't quite caught up yet. Any other time of year and the fix would already be out.

I don't think that's really true, at least the last part. If it is approved today, I think that would still be pretty average. If it takes much longer than this, we can probably blame it on the holiday shutdown.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Step 1. Submit App to App Store.
Step 2. Wait.
Step 3. There is no step three!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There needs to be a way to push "fixes bug that renders app near-useless" updates ahead in the queue of "add 15 levels to angry birds" updates.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jivjov posted:

There needs to be a way to push "fixes bug that renders app near-useless" updates ahead in the queue of "add 15 levels to angry birds" updates.

There is but I think pokeyman's request for an expedited review process was denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There is a way, and Apple denied the request to expedite.

• Locked thread