Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Recalcitrant posted:

For anyone interested. I did a mix of some IDMBeats, Future Beat/Bass, and Dub.
http://www.mixcloud.com/Dustlab/laboratory-session-one/

I'll get around to putting up a tracklisting but it includes Amon Tobin, Burial, Aphex Twin, Kito, Actress, ill.Gates, Rennie Pilgrem, Toob, Bluetech... and others.

Feedback welcome ;D

Really enjoyed that dude! Somehow you managed to mix up all the little genres and moods I enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_apache
Aug 31, 2009
The new Skrillex tune "Leaving" isn't too much of a bad attempt at sampling and bringing a garage vibe but that snare 110% ruined it for me. Will be nice to see how he develops this darker sound.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's laughable. It sounds like someone who wanted to make a Burial tune but has no background in UKG or anything would try.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
so dubstep US, just a fad on a larger scale than dnb was before it? Shame really. But people are more open to electronic except why do they insist on trying to make their own names for existing poo poo. Like 'complextro' and in a different way trap, like people desperate to have their THING.

You have to speak in hushed tones about dubstep like happy hardcore yet? I never know what's up with the US i hear new names every day. You need a vinyl culture so i know wtf to buy or what is good (aside from the few techno/house bits).

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

infinity2005 posted:

so dubstep US, just a fad on a larger scale than dnb was before it? Shame really. But people are more open to electronic except why do they insist on trying to make their own names for existing poo poo. Like 'complextro' and in a different way trap, like people desperate to have their THING.

I assumed the names thing like "edm" originated from people who wanted to talk about it but had no idea of the origin or basic information about it because it was so foreign to them to hear something like that get big and different in the US.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

the_apache posted:

The new Skrillex tune "Leaving" isn't too much of a bad attempt at sampling and bringing a garage vibe but that snare 110% ruined it for me. Will be nice to see how he develops this darker sound.

The snares bad but I think the vocal is worse.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Holy poo poo, Plastician. This grime mix is nuts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgvkvLOMHE

And why the hell does Boiler Room have to be so exclusive? He's throwing down such bangers for what, maybe 10 people?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

air- posted:

He's throwing down such bangers for what, maybe 10 people?

Welcome to the average Dubstep dance circa 2005.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

air- posted:

Sick! Think it's about time I saved for the Strings Hoe vinyl, need that in my collection.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Welcome to the average Dubstep dance circa 2005.

I have no problem with that, and in fact, that's how nearly everything I experienced out in DC was like. It's more how BR's invite only system creates an insane degree of difficulty getting into their events. Doing that in the US actually isolates a lot of real heads who'd appreciate this kind of night.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

air- posted:

I have no problem with that, and in fact, that's how nearly everything I experienced out in DC was like. It's more how BR's invite only system creates an insane degree of difficulty getting into their events. Doing that in the US actually isolates a lot of real heads who'd appreciate this kind of night.

Since I don't generally bother with the BR stuff, how do they handle their invites and all that? To be honest I just figured it was like a first come, first served/ticketed thing.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I feel like half the audience at a given BR set are people who don't care about the music at all but just want to be Seen.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Since I don't generally bother with the BR stuff, how do they handle their invites and all that? To be honest I just figured it was like a first come, first served/ticketed thing.

From what I understand it's all personal invites, either from people involved in Boiler Room or directly from the performers. Yet based on the videos, doesn't even look like these even get close to hitting capacity. A lot of those people look disinterested is the depressing part. I mean poo poo, an MC was straight up telling people to stop using their phones, start dancing, etc at one event (I wanna say it was the Skream/Disclosure B2B at the Berlin W Hotel).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

air- posted:

And why the hell does Boiler Room have to be so exclusive? He's throwing down such bangers for what, maybe 10 people?

That's pretty sick. Wish they did a podcast.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

Mike_V posted:

I feel like half the audience at a given BR set are people who don't care about the music at all but just want to be Seen.

It's well over half the audience, it literally is music for the sake of fashion.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

The new Burial EP dropped today. Really loving it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It came out before Christmas :confused:

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Thoogsby posted:

The new Burial EP dropped today. Really loving it.

You must be confusing it with the new Skrillex track. Totally understandable not.

If you listen to Leaving and then you listen to Rough Sleeper though, the lack of intricacy on Skrillex's part is super apparent. If he can turn that sound into the new face of "dubstep" though, more power to him. I'm tired of everyone trying to let me know that chainsaw wobbles are the music of the future. Maybe it'll open the door for some quality in the mainstream.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It came out before Christmas :confused:

GET MONEY posted:

You must be confusing it with the new Skrillex track. Totally understandable not.

If you listen to Leaving and then you listen to Rough Sleeper though, the lack of intricacy on Skrillex's part is super apparent. If he can turn that sound into the new face of "dubstep" though, more power to him. I'm tired of everyone trying to let me know that chainsaw wobbles are the music of the future. Maybe it'll open the door for some quality in the mainstream.

I'm a big dummy, I read a review that said it came out today and assumed the review had been posted today.

But yeah, I'm all for the big dubstep producers letting that particular sound die. Not a great sample size but all the people I know that were really into that sound have moved onto better things. Moombahton, Deep House, and DnB seem to be the current genres of choice.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

how do they handle their invites and all that?

It's personal invite/guestlist +1s to my knowledge.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
I don't suppose anyone knows the instrumental that Wiley's spitting over here? Crap audio but sounds hench. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxgNYBJYoU&t=307s

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

Anae posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows the instrumental that Wiley's spitting over here? Crap audio but sounds hench. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxgNYBJYoU&t=307s

Dizzee Rascal - Ho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqqdIifQeM

the_apache
Aug 31, 2009
The trouble is with Skrillex is the fact he doesn't produce what "dubstep" I guess traditionally is. I know that's a touchy subject for most fans of Skrillex and all the robot-loving sounds to go along with it. Therefore, he can't emulate that grittiness UKG and Dubstep feel in his tracks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not a huge Skrillex fan or anything but the guy does know his stuff, there was a pretty good interview with him on P4k last year where he talked about a lot of the earlier Warp stuff being a big influence on him.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks man.

Edit: Of course it was never released digitally and it's £50 on discogs :gonk:

Anae fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 6, 2013

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not a huge Skrillex fan or anything but the guy does know his stuff, there was a pretty good interview with him on P4k last year where he talked about a lot of the earlier Warp stuff being a big influence on him.

Is this a joke? He just mentioned Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. That's like saying you are influenced by the loving beatles.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I don't think he is completely clueless but Warp is one if the oldest biggest reputation electronic labels there is. And if they are an influence then where is it cause i don't hear it. If he mentioned Daft Punk too he'd have the full 'my first electronic music' set.

By the way before we derail further with music that should not even be know at all here's the real big news http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=18529

Holy gently caress the lineup. and 7x12" for complete album... yesss

the_apache
Aug 31, 2009
Skrillex isn't a talentless rear end in a top hat, he's very good at producing the music he puts out but I just don't think it's dubstep. Just a half-step track at 140BPM with loads of different noises. Fair play to him.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

infinity2005 posted:

By the way before we derail further with music that should not even be know at all here's the real big news http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=18529

Holy gently caress the lineup. and 7x12" for complete album... yesss

Been hoping to see someone post about it. I've been waiting for news about this for months. I already have the two album samplers preordered. I'm very excited about this.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

I don't think he is completely clueless but Warp is one if the oldest biggest reputation electronic labels there is. And if they are an influence then where is it cause i don't hear it. If he mentioned Daft Punk too he'd have the full 'my first electronic music' set.

Give this man a prize folks! He also mentions Justice to complete the collection.

Skrillex Pitchfork Interview posted:

I remember seeing the full Daft Punk pyramid show in 2007. I went alone, drove up in my Honda Fit, bought a ticket off a scalper for $150, got on the floor, and had the best time of my life. I didn't have a drink, no drugs. But I was high out of my mind. It changed my life.

Anyway that Nonplus boxset looks good, but man is it gonna be beyond my price range. That's one thing I never liked seeing come through from D&B, the whole 1 track per side thing. So rather than 7x12" in total, I'd much rather they just stuck all 14 tracks on like 3 - maybe 4 at a push - plates and call it a day. Cheaper for them and for us. I'm all for packaging them with boxes though (very operatic). One of the most annoying things I have is the 4x12" release of MJ Cole's Sincere. Not even a gatefold man, that sleeve is hosed after all these years. Shocking decision Talkin' Loud, especially since you put out 4Hero's Two Pages 4 plate set in that great pocket type sleeve.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

So the next three reconstrvct shows in Brooklyn:

1/19: Indigo, Dark Tantrums, EshOne
2/23: Youngsta, Biome, Demon
4/20: Gantz, LAS

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I'm glad somebody is finally affirming my beliefs that Daft Punk are the most influential musicians of the last 20 years. They've influenced everything from rock to hip-hop and even these new UK Bass and Nu-Disco genres coming out are obvious rip-offs of Daft Punk's sound in many ways. I even heard them play oldschool UK Garage on their DJ sets (when they still did them) back in the late 1990s.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

So the next three reconstrvct shows in Brooklyn:

1/19: Indigo, Dark Tantrums, EshOne
2/23: Youngsta, Biome, Demon
4/20: Gantz, LAS

They confirmed Demon for the 2/23 show? I've still never been to a reconstrvct, but it's looking more and more like that's gonna have to be my first one. Seeing Youngsta twice in 3 days is going to be insane!

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Styliferous posted:

They confirmed Demon for the 2/23 show? I've still never been to a reconstrvct, but it's looking more and more like that's gonna have to be my first one. Seeing Youngsta twice in 3 days is going to be insane!

No he hasn't been confirmed but him and Biome roll together a decent bit, and he says he's in the states same time as him - just going by logic he'll be final addition. What a loving night that'll be.

Definitely make it out. Last one with Compa was the poo poo. Here's the b2b set with Joe.
https://soundcloud.com/compauk/compa-back-to-back-joe-nice

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
This is a weird request, but can someone living in the UK buy a song for me on iTunes? It's not out here, and I would really love to start playing it out while it's fresh.

Clean Bandit - A+E

I'll send paypal to cover it ahead if you want. I'd like lossless, whatever the highest quality iTunes does is great.

Also mods tell me if this is files or whatever, I tried to do this legit but it seems like the only place the song is out is in UK iTunes!!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Made a new juke tune I like a lot:

CHUMP CHANGE - DIAL
https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/dial

Download it before it gets taken down for whatever reason!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Classic Roll Deep set from Maximum and Karnage. Lotssssssss of great Skepta verses in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSTSfpX-sm8

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Normally i'd agree about the D&B 1 track per side thing but in this case i like it, just makes the whole thing seem a really big project.

Anyone else noticed half of the stuff on chemical-records these day seems sold out so quickly? They need to buy more stock or something, it's getting silly. Like their whole techno/house top 10 all the ones i try to buy were out of stock. Or i chose 2 i wanted in one case waited 2 days and then they were sold out. And it's not big well known stuff either.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
http://soundcloud.com/sonotown-1/sonotown-podcast-054-kowton

Kowton "He's On Fire!!!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
One more piece of evidence that Skrillex rules: https://www.facebook.com/LVis1990/posts/393908954029100

• Locked thread