Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Here's where I'm sitting

Belisario's the only one of my relievers who's not close to his actual IP and all my starters are obviously at the point where they're at 100% by their next start regardless how far over their actual numbers they are (hi, Mr. Johnson). I've got 1,360 drafted innings which includes Mopup Floyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Hey guys come play Random Captain

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Not getting as much interest in this as I had hoped. Still need 12 players.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

open league time. AT&T Park, we'll see how this goes

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

open league time. AT&T Park, we'll see how this goes

Jose Lima, W (1-0)
Livan Hernandez, SV (1)

also I have half of all the triples hit (i had 3 in game 1)

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Devo posted:

Not getting as much interest in this as I had hoped. Still need 12 players.

Apparently when I'm bored I have an odd urge to join random sim leagues so I'm gonna try this out. Found one in the WiS forums with a $70M cap and salary range from $1.4M to $4.5M in which all players must come from a 25-year span. I might do it with one player per year just to challenge myself.

Another one I was in the process of joining when it was deleted. Some random guy invited me, don't know how he found me, but some interesting rules:

CSRB1980 posted:

100 mil cap -- We will be using player seasons 1935 thru 2012 only. Rule #1: Pick any 4 Seasons You like , (ie: 1988, 1994, 2001, 1955 etc.). Next Pick 4 players from each of those 4 Seasons. Rule #2: Pick a player whose First or Last Name begins with the Letter "Z" , (ie: Zeke Bonura or Richie Zisk). Rule #3: Pick a player whose First and Last Name start with the same letter, (ie: Cecil Cooper). Rule #4: Pick a player who wore the number "1" or "11" for their team (ie: Ozzie Smith -- Cardinals or Richie Ashburn -- Phillies or Carl Hubbell - Giants). Rule #5 -- NO YANKEES. Rule #6 -- The rest of your roster can be anybody you want as long as they are not from the same seasons as your players in Rule #1 and they are not Yankees or Blacklisted. Finally -- All player salaries will be under 9 mil. NO WW, NO DH, NO AAA, NO CLONES, NO Injuries, Stadiums are up to you !!!!. You may make trades once the season starts.

Blacklisted

Bob Milacki
Barry Latman
Barry Bonds
Dennis Eckersley

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

uublog posted:

Another one I was in the process of joining when it was deleted. Some random guy invited me, don't know how he found me, but some interesting rules:

Sometimes new theme creators will do mass mailings amongst anyone who has played in a recent league. Those leagues usually suck because if they need to get guys that badly it's a warning sign.

I'd try getting into Rule 5 on the next wraparound which will be soon, that's probably the best and least cookie cutter of the continuously running theme leagues.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Or you could just join this league that some jerk is trying to get off the ground.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I hear that guy is a real jerkass dickweed

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I went with '72 Willie Montanez, '81 Jack Morris, '94 Tim Raines as my captains. This should be fun!

e: To avoid double-posting: Using this team for the theme league I quoted earlier, playing them in Municipal. Dingers limited, triples multiplied!

uublog fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 27, 2012

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

stealz

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

still can't believe I got joss and raines

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

WP: Jamie Moyer LP: Addie Joss (with guest appearance by Bob Milacki)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

woop

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=19153544&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=1

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Need one more for Random Captain. Jump in quickly if you want to snipe the last spot.

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=18&TopicID=462554

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Devo posted:

Need one more for Random Captain. Jump in quickly if you want to snipe the last spot.

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=18&TopicID=462554

:69snypa:

Taken

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Man that sure is an emoticon

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You kind of got screwed in captain variety, AV. Sorry 'bout that.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Um, that shouldn't even be possible because I shouldn't have a smaller Captain pool than everyone else.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

Um, that shouldn't even be possible because I shouldn't have a smaller Captain pool than everyone else.

Actually that's a good point I was thinking about while I was taking a shower just now. I think I'm going to have someone reroll the 1972 captains to get out of this situation.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I mean, it's not the end of the world since Ryan has an ENORMOUS player pool but given the theme it would be much more interesting to pull from three distinct pools rather than two.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
What's the issue, exactly?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

jeffersonlives posted:

What's the issue, exactly?

AV had 1972 Nolan Ryan and 1981 Nolan Ryan, so he only had 2 player pools to choose from instead of 3. Problem is solved now and I can get to building my team so we can have a league number.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
"too many Nolan Ryans" is not a valid complaint

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Doesn't the fact that he was on two different teams with different groups of teammates diminish the problem? I mean *I'm* not complaining, I got Pete Rose instead of Bill Lee, just wondering what exactly is wrong with double Nolan Ryan's.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You draw from their entire career not just the teams/years you drew. So my player pools were:

Nolan Ryan's entire career 66-93
Nolan Ryan's entire career 66-93 (again)
Vince Coleman's entire career 85-97

Where everyone else got three different pools. Again, from a competitive standpoint it's not that big a deal since nobody gives a pool as large as Ryan, he's like getting two different players on his own. The whole appeal of joining the league for me, though, was ending up with three guys with three different pools to draw from, even if they each had the minimum six seasons.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

You draw from their entire career not just the teams/years you drew. So my player pools were:

Nolan Ryan's entire career 66-93
Nolan Ryan's entire career 66-93 (again)
Vince Coleman's entire career 85-97

Oh. I did forget about that.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know if I can fit 2000 Todd Helton in at this cap but damnit I sure want to

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Meanwhile I want to punch Foolish Fool for forcing me to play with an 87m salary cap instead of 90m.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

uublog posted:

Doesn't the fact that he was on two different teams with different groups of teammates diminish the problem? I mean *I'm* not complaining, I got Pete Rose instead of Bill Lee, just wondering what exactly is wrong with double Nolan Ryan's.

take him back please. thanks people who stuck me with both bill lee and la marr hoyt, hoyt is particularly bad because his season is poo poo and he doesn't give me any good players at least lee has some teammates who aren't poo poo

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This 90mil cap is impossible, it really needs to be 100mil :(

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I think my problem is that i'd rather have Kaat over Bench. That Bench season is almost 9mil for a guy who will probably hit .220 in this sim, and he doesn't fit in with the rest of my players, like Ozzie Smith, Joe Morgan, Raines, or Brock.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

That Bench gets you the entire 1970s Cincinnati Reds

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

That Bench gets you the entire 1970s Cincinnati Reds

Yes, but I can barely afford any of them because he's so expensive.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Art I'll trade you 1972 Gaylord Perry for 1972 Johnny Bench if you want

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ArtVandelay posted:

Yes, but I can barely afford any of them because he's so expensive.

I had 1972 Bench originally, I'll trade you a dirt cheap 1972 Busby for him!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Playing Walt Weiss out of position like it ain't no thing

Edit: Galaragga was hurt all of 99, but he was still on the Braves. Can I use a 99 Brave?

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 8, 2013

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ArtVandelay posted:

Playing Walt Weiss out of position like it ain't no thing

Edit: Galaragga was hurt all of 99, but he was still on the Braves. Can I use a 99 Brave?

Yeah that's fine. He was under contract and it shows up on his BBR page

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
This guy just got $34M in GW1, which is one reason why I kind of love the Diaggio international market by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What are his projections?

• Locked thread